ImageImageImageImageImage

"Looks good for Ewing"

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

DrSithMirth
Head Coach
And1: 11
Location: The Black Lodge. Raise up off me, lest you find yourself with us. Under the sycamore trees..

"Looks good for Ewing" 

Post#1 » by DrSithMirth » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:11 pm

-- Donnie Walsh said he doesn't anticpate making a trade.
-- Walsh on whether the guaranteed contracts will make the decision for him: "I don't think it'll be a factor in the last cut."
-- D'Antoni obviously loves Ewing as a prospect. He also said keeping six guards is a bit much, so that could hurt Roberson.

So there you go.

http://blogs.trb.com/sports/basketball/knicks/blog/

That makes me happy.
Cheers, Dr. SithMirth
KnicksScholar24
RealGM
And1: 287

Re: "Looks good for Ewing" 

Post#2 » by KnicksScholar24 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:25 pm

That could mean that Marbury could get cut, although James and Rose, especially James, should be released before Ewing, Roberson, or Marbury.

It would be stupid to cut Ewing just based on the Fan Favorite status he has already reached, but again, that didn't stop Walsh from trading Balkman away for a second round pick.
It's hard being a Knicks fan...
knicks742
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22

Post#3 » by knicks742 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:30 pm

The longer it takes to announce the cuts, the better it is for Ewing Jr. Obviously Donnie is not a prick so if he knew he wasn't going to keep him, he would have cut him already so he could get a european deal or maybe a deal with someone else. I think right now they may be working out a buyout with James or Robertson, Robertson most likely.
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,429

Post#4 » by duetta » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:32 pm

If they could get Jerome to agree to take $0.80 on the dollar, that would save Dolan probably $4 million over the next two years (including luxury tax).
movingon
Sixth Man
And1: 329

Post#5 » by movingon » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:49 pm

Roberson gets cut, end of story. There's no buyout involved, he just gets his money. Almost a cool million just for training camp. Obviously in retrospect it was a mistake to have guaranteed his deal, but it's pocket change for the Knicks so no big deal. Certainly worth the money to bring the namesake on board. Hopefully he'll get some burn in the NBDL.
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,562

Post#6 » by ctorres » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:58 pm

I'm betting it's Anthony Roberson that gets cut.

Robinson, Marbury, Crawford, Duhon, and even Collins are shooting the ball well. We have enough depth in our backcourt. We need depth in our frontcourt, which is why we should keep Ewing Jr.

Ewing Jr. is a PF/C in D'Antoni's system. He's a Bo Outlaw, but hopefully with better offense.

Jerome James should be kept because he's useful in practice scrimmages if healthy.
method
RealGM
And1: 299

Post#7 » by method » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:18 pm

Good news...just bad press to cut Ewing.
DrSithMirth
Head Coach
Location: The Black Lodge. Raise up off me, lest you find yourself with us. Under the sycamore trees..

Post#8 » by DrSithMirth » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:32 pm

I actually think it's going to be Roberson that gets cut, myself. But it would be a happy surprise to see Jerome go.
Cheers, Dr. SithMirth
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,326

Post#9 » by Scalabrine » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:47 pm

duetta wrote:If they could get Jerome to agree to take $0.80 on the dollar, that would save Dolan probably $4 million over the next two years (including luxury tax).

Why would he? Its not like he would get cut and go sign with another team so he can get minutes or sign with a contender. The guy has no motivation to play basketball, we will have to give him all of his money for him to leave, I think they would rather have him stay on the roster and force him to retire because he cant stay healthy. That is the most cost saving option for both parties because we collect on insurance and he gets his money. I doubt Walsh wants to keep Roberson enough to risk saving millions on James once he retires.
Go Knicks!
switch
Junior
And1: 10

Post#10 » by switch » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:49 pm

Honestly speaking..

The facial over Brook Lopez should be a hint of what he can bring to the table. He WILL get the last spot on the roster and he deserves it just because that dunk was the most beautiful dunk i have seen in a while...by a knick that is.
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,429

Post#11 » by duetta » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:53 pm

Scalabrine wrote:Why would he? Its not like he would get cut and go sign with another team so he can get minutes or sign with a contender. The guy has no motivation to play basketball, we will have to give him all of his money for him to leave, I think they would rather have him stay on the roster and force him to retire because he cant stay healthy. That is the most cost saving option for both parties because we collect on insurance and he gets his money. I doubt Walsh wants to keep Roberson enough to risk saving millions on James once he retires.

Why would he retire? He's healthy - especially as far as the NBA is concerned. No insurance company will pay off his deal unless he suffers a career ending injury. Either they buy this guy out or pay off his deal until the bitter end.
emo
RealGM
And1: 4,732

Post#12 » by emo » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:45 pm

I'd much rather we keep both Roberson & Pat Ewing Jr. I know Roberson has had some terrible outings but on a team with a system like this, we need all the shooters we can get. Jerome James ain't likely to do sh*t for us this season or at any point in the rest of his career.

Cut that motherf*cker already!!
Guano wrote:Will be interesting to see how this place transitions from killing Melo to turning on KP. I'm hoping Frank shows out so we can divide into Frank vs KP factions. That should be fun.
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,019

Post#13 » by stuporman » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:24 pm

Walsh should trade Malik to Charlotte for a second rounder and filler he can cut. They need PF help and Malik plays the right away according to the Larry Clown book of rules.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
!nstinct
Starter
And1: 0

Post#14 » by !nstinct » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:57 pm

I dont care how much James have on his contract - it is all the same if we cut him. If we keep him, he doesnt do anything - sounds the same as if hes not part of the team. The only thing is, if we keep him he takes someone's place who could have helped us better.

We have been right on picking those guys. Most of us as fans know who like: Lee, Balkman, Nate, Frye. All those guys are/were loved by us and its because of their talent. I dont think we gonna be wrong about Ewing Jr. either so Walsh should just go with the fans and keep him.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,631

Post#15 » by HarthorneWingo » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:24 pm

If it's between Roberson and Ewing, this should be a no brainer. We need to make smart "basketball" decisions as well as smart "financial" decisions.
Free Palestine
method
RealGM
And1: 299

Post#16 » by method » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:40 pm

switch wrote:Honestly speaking..

The facial over Brook Lopez should be a hint of what he can bring to the table. He WILL get the last spot on the roster and he deserves it just because that dunk was the most beautiful dunk i have seen in a while...by a knick that is.

:thumbsup:
Papa Midnite
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#17 » by Papa Midnite » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:02 am

stuporman wrote:Walsh should trade Malik to Charlotte for a second rounder and filler he can cut. They need PF help and Malik plays the right away according to the Larry Clown book of rules.

Exactly.
Nupes: Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Wilt Chamberlain, Sam Jones, Elgin Baylor, Alex English, H20, Rolando Blackman, Danny Manning, Darrell Walker (ex-Knick), Penny, Bernie Bickerstaff, Bob Johnson (Bobcats), John Chaney, Kerry Kittles, Johnny Newman
King Jaffy Jo
Rookie

Post#18 » by King Jaffy Jo » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:15 am

Papa Midnite wrote:
stuporman wrote:Walsh should trade Malik to Charlotte for a second rounder and filler he can cut. They need PF help and Malik plays the right away according to the Larry Clown book of rules.

+1

i definitely wouldnt be oppose to seeing malik go. to be honest, i wouldnt be surprised if they were showcasing him all this time.

i wouldnt mind seeing q rich go either. its a no brainer though, the youngns gotta stay.
SnakefromHell
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#19 » by SnakefromHell » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:12 am

It should be Ewing... he got the length, athleticism and strength that Roberson doesn't have. And Ewing could excel defensively with all the tools he has and could back up Chandler once he starts and might be a Renaldo Balkman who can play on the other end.

But Roberson is not a bad player at all... he played well for us Nuggets in preseason last year. He seems to get cut all the time for some reason... I'd pick him over Smush Parker (who was cut by us too thank god)
NYC2BGI
Starter
And1: 1

Post#20 » by NYC2BGI » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:55 pm

I hope that Mr. Walsh does the right thing and keeps Ewing. Not only does Ewing deserve to make the team but it would keep the fans happy. Just seeing how hard he works reminds me of John Starks and of course his father Patrick Ewing.

Return to New York Knicks