ImageImageImageImageImage

Donnie Walsh has a game plan and BIG BALLS.....

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Johnny Hoops
RealGM
And1: 2,212

Donnie Walsh has a game plan and BIG BALLS..... 

Post#1 » by Johnny Hoops » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:19 pm

All of you guys can jump off the Brooklyn bridge over Pat Jr's disimissal if you like.

I wanted him on the roster as much as the next guy and was dissapointed that the Knicks didn't drop James or Roberson instead BUT I really believe that Pat Jr will be a Knick again either this year or next.

Walsh has a game plan -- he laid it out early in his tenure and he hasn't budged off of it once.

He has repeatedly said he wants to be competitive as quickly as possible while at the same time working to get of cap # under control. He has said that he will NOT move our existing assets for less than what he believes is fair market value and he has repeatedly stated that he will honor all existing and future contracts.

We finally have someone here who is doing what every member of this board has been asking for the past 5-7 years (REBUILD) but I hear so many guys jumping on every minor yet subtle move he makes.

Bottom line if your Walsh - you can't go to Marbury's agent and tell him we do NOT buy out contracts and then turn around and buy out Malik's or Jame's deal. It's bad business - its the type of crap Zeke was famous for.

Walsh views the expiring contracts as assets - either as a means to simply let them expire or as part of a larger deal to help move a longer term contract. For example - Malik's deal could be thrown into a Zach deal to make #s work without burdening the team you are dealing with. Same could be said for Jame's deal either later this year or next as an expiring. I'm not saying "and neither is Walsh" that these deals will land us a star but I'm saying an expiring deal is more valuable than a longer term deal.

Donnie likes Pat Jr -- he's the one who brought him here. I don't know if he brought him here just to get a look at him, or if he brought him here because he thought he'd be able to create a spot through a trade BUT I don't believe he brought him here with the intention of cutting him. He's too smart and understands this is a negative move in the eyes of the fans.

Bottom line Donnie knows what he's doing and I do believe that Pat Jr will be back on the Knicks this year or next. All it takes is one 2-1 or 3-2 deal or next summer after a couple of deals like Maliks and Stephs expire.

Donnie Walsh is smarter than the rest of us when it comes to the NBA and he understands the fans of NY. The fact is - he's got BIG BALLS and he doesn't care what you think because he is going to do things his way regardless of the press or the fans initial reactions.

I have to respect that -- regardless of what a bunch of fans on a message board wanted a former greats son to stick on the roster right now.
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,040

Re: Donnie Walsh has a game plan and BIG BALLS..... 

Post#2 » by sol537 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:27 pm

agreed. but there's a risk that Ewing gets a non-guaranteed contract from another team and finds a way to stick or that he goes overseas for a few years. Preferably, he should go to the Knicks NBDL team and then join the team next season. That's probably what Donnie asked of him.
DE FENSE
RealGM
And1: 2,629

Post#3 » by DE FENSE » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:38 pm

Nice post. Walsh is a seasoned professional and he obviously has more info about this squad and this franchise than any of us outsiders could possibly hope to learn. For this reason, I trust the man to make responsible decisions, even if they seem harsh or unfair at first. He appears to be focused on the big picture, which is more than I can say about the majority of posters on this board.
Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 225

Post#4 » by Flaming Mo » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:40 pm

You are making some good points but there is no way to spin this one. Walsh tells us we had to keep Roberson because of his shooting. Which basically says that we need his shooting more than EwJr defense and hard work. And that on a team that has Lee and Zach upfront, also known as the worst defensive frontcourt in Knicks history.

Why risk losing Ewing, a player Walsh likes as you say, when you could just keep him over a scrub, a first rate bum who won't helo us a bit with his volume shooting. He actually will worsen our problems of lack of discipline, bonehead play and no defense...

I won't get too worked up about anymore but all I have to say I'm dissapointed how Walsh handled all that, it's just like an Isiah move...
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies...
RealGM
And1: 39,138

Post#5 » by 2010 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:57 pm

Johnny Hoops wrote:Bottom line if your Walsh - you can't go to Marbury's agent and tell him we do NOT buy out contracts and then turn around and buy out Malik's or Jame's deal. It's bad business - its the type of crap Zeke was famous for.

Johnny Hoops, you usually know what you're talking about but this is an inaccurate statement here. Walsh was VERY MUCH willing to buy out Marbury's contract. In fact, the feelers were put out to Marbury and his representatives on how receptive they'd be to a buyout. The only reason that buyout was never FORMALLY offered is because Marbury went public (on live television with Bruce Beck) saying there'd be no buyout, that he wouldn't take a penny less than he's owed and if the Knicks wanted to get rid of him they'd have to waive him. That my friend, is what put an end to any potential buyout discussions.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
boomann21
RealGM
And1: 2,777

Post#6 » by boomann21 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:04 pm

At a certain age a man's balls drop. So with Walsh being nearly 70 or over 70 I suspect his balls have lenghted from years and years of hanging. It's almost like when a lady has big breasts and the begin to sag. It's nothing unatural about his balls being huge just gravity and age factor.
DE FENSE
RealGM

Post#7 » by DE FENSE » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:09 pm

boomann21 wrote:At a certain age a man's balls drop. So with Walsh being nearly 70 or over 70 I suspect his balls have lenghted from years and years of hanging. It's almost like when a lady has big breasts and the begin to sag. It's nothing unatural about his balls being huge just gravity and age factor.

You seem to know a lot about Donnie's nuts. I get it though, you're probably tired of hanging on Ewing Jr.s nuts.
boomann21
RealGM
And1: 2,777

Post#8 » by boomann21 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:13 pm

DE FENSE wrote:
boomann21 wrote:At a certain age a man's balls drop. So with Walsh being nearly 70 or over 70 I suspect his balls have lenghted from years and years of hanging. It's almost like when a lady has big breasts and the begin to sag. It's nothing unatural about his balls being huge just gravity and age factor.

You seem to know a lot about Donnie's nuts. I get it though, you're probably tired of hanging on Ewing Jr.s nuts.

As any educated person can clearly see I said suspect.
Johnny Hoops
RealGM

Post#9 » by Johnny Hoops » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:17 pm

Flaming Mo wrote:You are making some good points but there is no way to spin this one. Walsh tells us we had to keep Roberson because of his shooting. Which basically says that we need his shooting more than EwJr defense and hard work. And that on a team that has Lee and Zach upfront, also known as the worst defensive frontcourt in Knicks history.

Why risk losing Ewing, a player Walsh likes as you say, when you could just keep him over a scrub, a first rate bum who won't helo us a bit with his volume shooting. He actually will worsen our problems of lack of discipline, bonehead play and no defense...

I won't get too worked up about anymore but all I have to say I'm dissapointed how Walsh handled all that, it's just like an Isiah move...

Hi Mo - I agree with you on Walsh's comments about the need for Roberson's shooting stroke and think it was a bit of a reach. But if you recall - he also made the statement that "we will honor all of our contracts" and Roberson has a guaranteed contract. So - I think the deal came down $$$ and guarantee's and like it our not Walsh is not going to waive off a contract he just signed.

We have to understand that Pat Jr's contribution was going to be very minor - despite all of our most optimistic hopes. I think Donnie believes that Pat Jr needs alot of work but that he will be a Knick again. If it doesn't work out - its our loss but in the end it was a decision Walsh made and will have to live with.
Johnny Hoops
RealGM

Post#10 » by Johnny Hoops » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:27 pm

2010 wrote:
Johnny Hoops wrote:Bottom line if your Walsh - you can't go to Marbury's agent and tell him we do NOT buy out contracts and then turn around and buy out Malik's or Jame's deal. It's bad business - its the type of crap Zeke was famous for.

Johnny Hoops, you usually know what you're talking about but this is an inaccurate statement here. Walsh was VERY MUCH willing to buy out Marbury's contract. In fact, the feelers were put out to Marbury and his representatives on how receptive they'd be to a buyout. The only reason that buyout was never FORMALLY offered is because Marbury went public (on live television with Bruce Beck) saying there'd be no buyout, that he wouldn't take a penny less than he's owed and if the Knicks wanted to get rid of him they'd have to waive him. That my friend, is what put an end to any potential buyout discussions.

Thanks 2010 for your initial compliment - I appreciate that.

I don't know that the Knicks ever approached Marbury about a buyout. That may have been a media fabrication as you recall most of the press was predicting there was no way Marbury would make training camp. We are experts on buyouts around here having gone thru guys like Shannon Anderson, Penny, Junk Yard Dog and others....but in almost all of those deals the team saved very few $. The best they may have hoped for on Steph's deal was to save $2M-$3M on Steph's $20M deal and that would still have meant that Donnie would be eating $17M or so. I mean whats the difference in $20M or $17M to the Knicks -- it's more the principle of the deal from Walsh's perspective and the fact that you create an environment where players think they can behave themselves out of deals because the team will buy them out eventually.

Given his on-going refusal to eat a contract like James or Malik's or Steph's I don't necessarily by the speculation that we (the Knicks) approached Steph about a buyout. In fact - Steph's statements relative to a buyout were in response to media questions.

The one exception here would be Jerome Jame's and the Knicks hope for a medical retirement where $ would NOT count against the cap. I'm sure those discussions took place but good old Jerome is to fat and happy to stop the current gravy train he's on.
Johnny Hoops
RealGM

Post#11 » by Johnny Hoops » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:30 pm

I can vouche for the sagging factor - unfortunately but I still think Donnie has a BIG saggy set on him.
RealGM
And1: 39,138

Post#12 » by 2010 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:00 pm

Johnny Hoops wrote:
2010 wrote:

Thanks 2010 for your initial compliment - I appreciate that.

I don't know that the Knicks ever approached Marbury about a buyout. That may have been a media fabrication as you recall most of the press was predicting there was no way Marbury would make training camp. We are experts on buyouts around here having gone thru guys like Shannon Anderson, Penny, Junk Yard Dog and others....but in almost all of those deals the team saved very few $. The best they may have hoped for on Steph's deal was to save $2M-$3M on Steph's $20M deal and that would still have meant that Donnie would be eating $17M or so. I mean whats the difference in $20M or $17M to the Knicks -- it's more the principle of the deal from Walsh's perspective and the fact that you create an environment where players think they can behave themselves out of deals because the team will buy them out eventually.

Given his on-going refusal to eat a contract like James or Malik's or Steph's I don't necessarily by the speculation that we (the Knicks) approached Steph about a buyout. In fact - Steph's statements relative to a buyout were in response to media questions.

The one exception here would be Jerome Jame's and the Knicks hope for a medical retirement where $ would NOT count against the cap. I'm sure those discussions took place but good old Jerome is to fat and happy to stop the current gravy train he's on.

I see your point. I guess neither theory can be definitively proved because we'll never really know if Walsh sent out feelers to Marbury's camp or not (since the media tries to create news and orchestrate things themselves rather than just reporting).

Journalism has reallly turned for the worst in the internet age. I guess the constant demand for up-to-the-minute news has created a culture in sports reporting where rather than just telling the fans what is going on the reporters now feel need to express their opinions vehmently in a ploy to try to force team management to do what they want by using their influence over the public opinion as a driver. Much the way Mike Francesca and WFAN are regarded as an integral ingredient in getting the Mets ownership (Wilpon & Doubleday) to change their minds on acquiring Mike Piazza after they were initially opposed to doing so but eventually were forced to succumb to fan pressure facilitated by Francesca.

As we already know, all of the NY Media (Berman aside) would like Marbury out of town so I can't disagee with you where you say the talks of a buyout could have been totally generated by wishful-thinking (presented as fact) on part of Knicks beatwriters.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
GuyverADL
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#13 » by GuyverADL » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:01 pm

Johnny Hoops wrote:

I can vouche for the sagging factor - unfortunately but I still think Donnie has a BIG saggy set on him.

Anotha Knicks fan
Head Coach
And1: 1,333

Post#14 » by Anotha Knicks fan » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:04 pm

Good Post Johnny. You make sense. Although I still reserve my right to disagree with cutting Ewing, regardless whether he joins us later or not, you wrote coherent reasonings to your opinion, and I will respect that any day over an incoherent emotional babble with nothing to back it up.

I still think in the long run, Jerome James will either be cut, or will expire. He will also not play more than a few games a season total (for the remainder of his contract.) Something PatEwJr could've done as well, in a better capacity.

So long as we can get our Center soon, I'll be alright with it.
Join me in welcoming in the new Era of our basketball team:

The New York Mediocrebockers!
Johnny Hoops
RealGM

Post#15 » by Johnny Hoops » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:21 pm

optimusADL wrote:
Johnny Hoops wrote:

It's possible that I could have worded my response a little better and yes you got me.
Johnny Hoops
RealGM

Post#16 » by Johnny Hoops » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:28 pm

Anotha Knicks fan wrote:Good Post Johnny. You make sense. Although I still reserve my right to disagree with cutting Ewing, regardless whether he joins us later or not, you wrote coherent reasonings to your opinion, and I will respect that any day over an incoherent emotional babble with nothing to back it up.

I still think in the long run, Jerome James will either be cut, or will expire. He will also not play more than a few games a season total (for the remainder of his contract.) Something PatEwJr could've done as well, in a better capacity.

So long as we can get our Center soon, I'll be alright with it.

Thanks - I didn't like the cut either and loved what Pat seemed to bring.

I just think we have someone in the GM role that will stick to his logic regardless of fan or media expectations. Remember Reggie Miller of Indiana hero Steve Alford --- that takes nerve.

Not saying it's 100% right - only that he could have some other options and potentially an arrangement with Pat Jr.

One reason for waiting so long would be to let other teams shake their rosters down to 15 and reduce the # of teams who might try to squeeze young Pat onto a roster.

Personally the fact that Jr is Patrick's son means something to me but it wouldn't have meant much if he looked like Ernie's kid out on the floor (no disspresect to Danny G). I was surprised with Pat's athleticism and quickness -- its a shame he hasn't been able to refine his dribbling, passing and shooting more during his G-Town years. He has the size and athleticism to play -- lets hope he gets a D-League spot with us and we squeeze him in later this year or in camp next summer.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,584

Post#17 » by Capn'O » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:56 pm

Good post, Johnny.

I was very disappointed by our choice to cut Ewing. Mainly because of sentimental reasons but I thought he showed more in his limited minutes than Roberson did... I really would have liked to see Ewing rock the Garden on the occasion even if it is the lesser of the two Ewings.

All in all I thought it was a poor choice.

But those people that are comparing Walsh's tenure here so far with Isiah are just ridiculous. You are absolutely correct about Walsh making a plan and sticking to it and not making rash jumps at the first opportunity possible. Isiah would mail in all of our assets for guys like Jamal Crawford and Eddy Curry on irrational impressions of their ability. Walsh is much more conservative and that is harder for the die hard fan to accept and for the casual fan to find interest in because there are not major moves being made consistently.

We are in a completely different era.

I still think dropping Ewing was a mistake but at the end of the day it's what he does to the _top_ of this roster that will make a difference. Not the bottom. It's about creating a foundation where we will be talking about whether key veterans will survive injury rather than whether our 10-15th men may or may not break out. And that bit is going to take time.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Post#18 » by EricAnderson » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:01 pm

i agree people need to take a damn breath and let donnie do his thing..its gonna take a few eyars to get out of this mess isia hcreated its nto gonna happen overnight

and ewing jr is a fringe nba player at best and would never play atall..its hillarious how much people on this board are in love with scrubs
DE FENSE
RealGM

Post#19 » by DE FENSE » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:07 pm

boomann21 wrote:As any educated person can clearly see I said suspect. But I understand you cant' comprehend the way most smart people can or else you would of gotten the joke. But I guess you mad cuz I said if you was in arm's length I would slap you and after this statement I would have to say that I would be forced to backhand you repeatedly with know thought on the effect it haves on your face. At first I was just going to slap you to get your attention.

:lol: Ok dude. Well you're not at arm's length, so STFU and stop being internet tough guy.
BBALLER4FR
RealGM
And1: 8,175

Post#20 » by BBALLER4FR » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:13 pm

"Donnie Walsh has a game plan and BIG BALLS....."

Those last 70 seconds, Randle in a nut shell.

Awful 2 for 1 3PT attempt when we are up 2
Doesn’t close out on Sabonis --> open 3
Takes another side step off balance 3

We got sucked into the Randle vortex where all good feelings go to die.

Buttah304

Return to New York Knicks