ImageImageImageImageImage

WALSH.. EXPLAIN THIS TO ME!!!

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

elitethatsme
Junior
And1: 2

WALSH.. EXPLAIN THIS TO ME!!! 

Post#1 » by elitethatsme » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:02 pm

WALSH:

"You start looking at well, what are our potential needs? Walsh said. “I think that’s where this went down to in the sense that it was felt that in the immediate future, potentially, that shooting could become a problem for this team. So that was the reason for Anthony Roberson because that’s what he can do.”

D'Antoni:

Mike D’Antoni stated the obvious “Our offense is way ahead of our defense.” The Knicks are averaging 110 points and shooting 47 percent through three preseason games, but opponents are averaging 111 points and 49 percent shooting. “We’re looking pretty good,” D’Antoni said. “The ball is moving, the floor is spaced. Our problem right now is that defensively we got to get a little bit — not a little bit — better, but a lot better. And then learn how to win games.”

OK !

So we Know, Ewing is a very good defender.. Blocks shots. 2 of our biggest needs. (we gave away Balkman for NOTHING he was our leading shotblocker)

So D'antoni (and everyone else who has been watching) thinks our offense has been decent, and its our DEFENSE that needs work. SO why Donnie, why would you try to explain your decision like it was actually a basketball decision??? We have PLENTY of shooters on this team. Nate, Gallo, Craw, Q, Steph, shoot shoot shoot some more. We need ANOTHER shooter? Not a defender who can block shots.

WHERE IS THE LOGIC I SWEAR TO GOD ISIAH IS STILL RUNNING THIS GODAMN TEAM !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Money? So it was money... MONEY?? WAS IT REALLY MONEY?

Lets break that down.

You cut Jerome James.. You pay him over 12 mil to sit home (nobody else will sign him)

You keep Jerome James.. You pay him over 12 mil to sit on the bench.

Result either way = Jerome James gets 12 mil to do nothing.

You are not keeping his contract in order to trade it, because it expires BEFORE 2010.. So any deal you make involving James brings salary BACK and would HURT our chances of getting under the cap in 2010.. So James will not be traded.

So basically, if your James Dolan.. It comes down to how much it would cost to sign Patrick Ewing Jr. to a 1 year deal. 500k? 400k?. So really if you are going by LOGIC.. this is what your telling me.. Either James Dolan wont pay 500k (not likely since he has paid a tun and always has opened his check book).. Or Donnie Walsh is just too stubborn to buy anyone out.

I actually believe its neither of these scenarios. I believe that Donnie Walsh actually thinks Jerome James could possibly contribute and that is what scares me more than anything. From Knicks Knacks:

http://njmg.typepad.com/knickknacks/2008/10/patrick-jr-cut.html

As for James, when asked about the fans' displeasure with him, Walsh tap-danced a bit, saying, "I have no background with Jerome James, except he did not play last year. [two games], so I understand the fans' thinking. he is under contract to us and we honor all our contracts.

"He's in the position that I've had other players in on this team: go out and prove yourself. It'll be up to him to prove it in practice."

This scares me so bad, do you realize what this means? Donnie Walsh has done absolutely NO homework on his current roster. That means the last 3 years or so were absolutely WASTED!!!!! Everything we learned about all these players, the pros, the cons etc etc... Nothing has survived. We had to sit thru season after season of "rebuilding" so that we could EVALUATE what we had.. And its obvious what we have at this point.. To EVERYONE EXCEPT DONNIE WALSH!!!!!!!!! No wonder he didn't extend David Lee, he has no idea what kind of player he is!!!!

The fact that he has given Jerome James a "Clean Slate" is just disgusting. If there is one man in professional sports that does not deserve a "Clean Slate" it is Jerome James... The smallest bit of research would have told Donnie that... Just because he wasn't here when Jerome James showed up to practice hung over 50+ times, and out of shape to every single training camp, doesn't mean it didn't happen.. And doesn't mean it wont happen again.. and again.. and again.

Heres to hoping Donnie does some homework, and heres to losing all hope I had in him as a GM. With one, "meaningless" 15th man roster decision. Which actually should have been the easiest decision he ever had to make.

RealGM
And1: 39,136

Re: WALSH.. EXPLAIN THIS TO ME!!! 

Post#2 » by 2010 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:08 pm

+1,000

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
TheBluest
Banned User
And1: 8
Location: Lottery Bound...Banned From UK 2-11-09 @ 12:30 am by Martin LOL!

Post#3 » by TheBluest » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:14 pm

He doesn't have complete Autonomy he has to give Lip Service that covers the background decisions being made by others or how he's heavily influenced to make them. In the meantime he was looking for a 2 for 1 trade to develop, so he could keep Sick Seed(who was definitely an unproven talent) which throws the "I'm giving everyone a clean slate to prove they can earn there time on the court" when his very own Coach Quasi GM stated "Once I Get Stuck I Get Stuck" with his rotation which is only 8-9 man deep.

What Irks me is why every makes the comments Jr wasn't going to see time this yr. Since when is it strictly about an 82gm season? Jr could be developed for 2yrs until the plan hits. Have him in the fold so we know what to do with him next yr. Look at how Chan developed without much PT last yr and Jr was known as a hard worker, who could have developed and become better acclimated with D'Antonio Mcdyess' gimmick system. Most of our injuries are coming from our swing man(Eff(leg), Q(back), Chan(Knee), Gallo(Back)) so why not have him on the bench as a 15 man reserve? Plus he provides things no one else on the team does outside of Chandler and that's extreme versatility on both ends.

Johhny Hoops has already informed us though DWU is all about integrity, ethics, and logical.
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 15,893

Post#4 » by stuporman » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:16 pm

Nothing in this thread that wasn't said a thousand times in the EW2 thread......

So you want to show off your photoshop skills, huh....

How's this?

If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
BBALLER4FR
RealGM
And1: 8,171

Post#5 » by BBALLER4FR » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:21 pm

IB4TL and that pic is ***ing gross!
Those last 70 seconds, Randle in a nut shell.

Awful 2 for 1 3PT attempt when we are up 2
Doesn’t close out on Sabonis --> open 3
Takes another side step off balance 3

We got sucked into the Randle vortex where all good feelings go to die.

Buttah304
knicks742
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22

Post#6 » by knicks742 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:27 pm

For the defense argument. Ewing Jr. by himself is not good enough to matter defensively as he is a raw rookie and offensively he would hurt the team against real NBA competition. D'Antoni is referring to the 9 guys who are actually going to play. He wants better defense from Lee, Zach, Jamal, QRich, etc those are the guys that need to get better not bringing in Balkman or Ewing Jr who are ok defensively now but very limited offensively. One or two players blocking shots does not matter (See Camby in Denver) if noone else is going to improve defensively individually and as a team.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,916

Post#7 » by blueNorange » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:29 pm

ewing jr. blocks a shot and he's now a shotblocker??

my god if a scrub like ewing jr. gets 20+ pages i wonder how many pages lee gets when he's traded by the deadline. yeesh!
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
Pedro Pistolas
Banned User

Post#8 » by Pedro Pistolas » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:37 pm

BBALLER4FR wrote:IB4TL and that pic is ***ing gross!

I agree that pic should lead to an automatic ban...
elitethatsme
Junior

Post#9 » by elitethatsme » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:35 pm

stuporman wrote:Nothing in this thread that wasn't said a thousand times in the EW2 thread......

How's this?

Sorry but im not up on your internet nerdslang.

what the **** does INB4TL mean????
Johnny Hoops
RealGM
And1: 2,212

Post#10 » by Johnny Hoops » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:43 pm

I think its very simple.

Donnie Walsh is not some old dude that can't remember what happened yesterday or two years ago.

Walsh is in complete control and he's running things the way he sees fit.

Regardless of what he says during some media interview about the need for Roberson's shooting down the road - I think the real decision came down to his policy on NOT eating contracts.

In reality Jerome has a guarantee and Roberson has a guarantee and Walsh has decided the Knicks will no longer eat any deals.

We can all argue whether that's the right approach or not but for the most part most NBA franchises don't buyout contracts -- at least not at the insatiable pace that Zeke was buying things out.

The fact is that Walsh liked Junior before many on this board and he liked him because of his talent not necessarily because of his dad (I don't know). Donnie went out of his way to cut a friendship deal with the Houston ownership and bring Patrick in.

The same guys who are slamming him are the same guys who thought he was awesome for bringing th kid in when nobody else in the league was knocking on his door. It's not like someone else could have offered more than Freddy Weiss to the Rockets for Jr.

Walsh brought him here and he cut him -- I strongly believe he will bring him back again.
elitethatsme
Junior

Post#11 » by elitethatsme » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:04 pm

Johnny Hoops wrote:I think its very simple.

Donnie Walsh is not some old dude that can't remember what happened yesterday or two years ago.

Walsh is in complete control and he's running things the way he sees fit.

Regardless of what he says during some media interview about the need for Roberson's shooting down the road - I think the real decision came down to his policy on NOT eating contracts.

In reality Jerome has a guarantee and Roberson has a guarantee and Walsh has decided the Knicks will no longer eat any deals.

We can all argue whether that's the right approach or not but for the most part most NBA franchises don't buyout contracts -- at least not at the insatiable pace that Zeke was buying things out.

The fact is that Walsh liked Junior before many on this board and he liked him because of his talent not necessarily because of his dad (I don't know). Donnie went out of his way to cut a friendship deal with the Houston ownership and bring Patrick in.

The same guys who are slamming him are the same guys who thought he was awesome for bringing th kid in when nobody else in the league was knocking on his door. It's not like someone else could have offered more than Freddy Weiss to the Rockets for Jr.

Walsh brought him here and he cut him -- I strongly believe he will bring him back again.

Good post I have to admit, and I hope your right!
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,898

Post#12 » by GONYK » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:16 pm

I just love it how people are acting like Ewing was going to log major minutes in order to block all these shots and play all that defense. D'Antoni plays an 8-9 man rotation. Jr. would have been, at best, #15 on the roster. People need to stop reacting and start using some logic.
Starks1994
Veteran
And1: 185

Post#13 » by Starks1994 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:34 pm

elitethatsme wrote:
stuporman wrote:Nothing in this thread that wasn't said a thousand times in the EW2 thread......

How's this?

yea, another internet nerdslang that i don't understand is "smh"
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 15,893

Post#14 » by stuporman » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:47 pm

:nonono:
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,313

Post#15 » by duetta » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:48 pm

Why not just send that photo to Walsh to let him know how you really feel!
elitethatsme
Junior

Post#16 » by elitethatsme » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:56 pm

Starks1994 wrote:
elitethatsme wrote:

How's this?

yea, another internet nerdslang that i don't understand is "smh"

im nerdy enough to know that one lol......... Shaking My Head
DonJuanCapistro
Senior
And1: 0

Post#17 » by DonJuanCapistro » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:57 pm

CALM YOURSELF. To say that the last 3 years were a waste is the most obvious thing anyone could say about the knicks. What great knowledge did we acquire in the last 3 years other then some player tendencies. I guarentee walsh knows way more about our roster then we ever will.

I agree with you, the move to cut Ewing Jr. made 0 sense. malik, Jerome, and roberson should all have been shown the door by now. Ewing isnt going to impact this roster either way.

I dont think walsh thinks jerome will contribute, its clearly a decision that came down from up high. Someone in the knicks hierarchy thinks jerome is a useful piece to the team. Someone, not me, but someone. Isiah had jerome figured out a couple years ago when he used him strictly to foul people, thats the extent he can contribute.

I dont think ewing being cut warrants a 2000 word essay followed by some nasty bitch hurling on walsh. I have faith in Donnie, he built very consistent teams in Indiana and WILL do the same in NY. Its going to take time. i doubt if more then 2 players that are on the current roster survive to the summer of 2010.

Have faith my friend, there are so many ewing jr type players out there we can pickup at any time. A highly athletic sf with no bball iq and no shot are clearly in abundance on the market. The balkmans and ewing jr.s of the world will be there when we need them.
“I felt like I was in college again. That's one of the best feelings in the world. You don't have to worry about anything.” Salim Stoudamire
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,934

Post#18 » by KnicksGadfly » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:59 pm

Well it's done and that's it. I HATE THIS MOVE but it's time to talk about the season. It's Tuesday, and it's a shame that something like this is overshadowing our first year without Isiah.

Return to New York Knicks