ImageImageImageImageImage

We have the worst defensive frontcourt in the NBA

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

RealGM
And1: 39,213

We have the worst defensive frontcourt in the NBA 

Post#1 » by 2010 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:31 am

We will not win consistently with a starting frontcourt of David Lee and Zack Randoph at the center and power forward positions.

We shot the ball well tonight but on nights where we shoot less than 47% from the field we will get BLOWN OUT because we do not protect the paint, block shots or defend anyone who comes past the foul line.

My wife watched the game with me and she's no basketball whiz by any stretch of the imagination and even she said "why do you continue to watch this team every year, they just let everyone go right by them and score" when the Heat were making their run in the 4th quarter. I mean, damn...if even she notices their lack of defensive awareness WE ARE IN TROUBLE.

This win is fools gold. If we are playing any good team we get blown out because although we can score we cannot get stops when it counts.

Walsh needs to get us a shotblocker and FAST! I believe that if we get a defensive presence in the paint we will be good enough to be in the hunt for the 8th seed.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
Assassin_1
Banned User
And1: 3
Location: Running up in your spot faster than CJ from San Andreas

Re: We have the worst defensive frontcourt in the NBA 

Post#2 » by Assassin_1 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:35 am

I said that and you said it again, this win was fool's gold we got lucky because Crawford got 30 and Lee and Randolph won't cut it in this league.
By the way we vastly over rate Lee, vastly.
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#3 » by HEZI » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:39 am

Hey listen, do you really think this is the team we are happy with? No! The coach and the GM would love to move a guy like Randolph, but after last season our players have the worst possible values. Randolph has looked good so far, you have to think if he keeps this up and the Knicks can remain around .500, somebody will call asking about Randolph and wanting to make a deal that the Knicks consider somewhat fair value, not no Darko and Jaric crap or Second round pick crap, but some value. Lets just hope that Lee and Randolph continue to look good together offensively, most of the other teams already have shotblockers so they can handle a Zach Randolph.

Yes, I hope we get a legit bigman in here to start with David Lee, but I think first we need to see Randolphs stock rise so we can move him.
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
StutterStep
RealGM
And1: 58

Post#4 » by StutterStep » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:43 am

The key with this front line is rebounding. If they rebound at a high clip and we keep the other team's SF honest, then we're fine.

Right now we're a middle the road team if you count DOMINANT teams. If you look at the EAST, we should only have problems these teams or frontlines: Detroit/Boston/Toronto... every one else I'm comfortable with ZachLee...
HEZI
RealGM

Post#5 » by HEZI » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:49 am

StutterStep wrote:The key with this front line is rebounding. If they rebound at a high clip and we keep the other team's SF honest, then we're fine.

Right now we're a middle the road team if you count DOMINANT teams. If you look at the EAST, we should only have problems these teams or frontlines: Detroit/Boston/Toronto... every one else I'm comfortable with ZachLee...

Dont forget Orlando. Howard inside and Lewis outside, not a good matchup for us at all.
DENVER NUGGETS
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,563

Post#6 » by ctorres » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:54 am

Who cares if they're the worst defensive front court, they're still going to be one of the highest scoring and best rebounding front courts. If the Lee/Randolph duo could average together 36 ppg and 20 rpg, wouldn't that give the Knicks one of the best PF/C duos in the league?
supergallinari
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#7 » by supergallinari » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:55 am

didn't we outscore miami's frontcourt?
so how the hell do we have the worst defensive frontcourt?
StutterStep
RealGM

Post#8 » by StutterStep » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:57 am

SMAC-K wrote:
StutterStep wrote:The key with this front line is rebounding. If they rebound at a high clip and we keep the other team's SF honest, then we're fine.

Dont forget Orlando. Howard inside and Lewis outside, not a good matchup for us at all.

True on Howard. I don't worry about Lewis so much because he doesn't rebound. Him camping out at the 3point line doesn't scare me. We'll put Lee on Turk and QRich/Chandler on Lewis.
HEZI
RealGM

Post#9 » by HEZI » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:03 am

StutterStep wrote:
SMAC-K wrote:

True on Howard. I don't worry about Lewis so much because he doesn't rebound. Him camping out at the 3point line doesn't scare me. We'll put Lee on Turk and QRich/Chandler on Lewis.

Lee on Turk? I dont like that at all, Hedo got handles and can shoot and hes taller than Lee as well. Lee wont be able to stop him.
DENVER NUGGETS
IsiahThomasJr
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#10 » by IsiahThomasJr » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:08 am

Dude, we are not gunning for a title this year so what are you complaining about? It's pretty obvious that duo will be terrible on defense. But it doesn't really matter because it's not about this year and nobody expected to win consistently.
"It's so crazy it just might work." - Isiah Thomas
StutterStep
RealGM

Post#11 » by StutterStep » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:08 am

SMAC-K wrote:
Lee on Turk? I dont like that at all, Hedo got handles and can shoot and hes taller than Lee as well. Lee wont be able to stop him.

I like Hedo but he has no speed. They use him as Point Forward so that will keep Lee out of foul trouble as long as he doesn't reach. If Lee guards Lewis, there's the speed factor and Lee will have to go for pump fakes on jumpers.

I look at it as who will handle ZachLee when we're on offense and crashing the boards. I'm not saying our defense is what gets over on those other teams... only that our scoring and rebounding will keep us in the game unless we're facing Detroit, Boston or Toronto because those teams have bigs that score and rebound better than us. Other teams might beat us in scoring but not rebounding, and vice versa.
HEZI
RealGM

Post#12 » by HEZI » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:15 am

StutterStep wrote:
SMAC-K wrote:

I like Hedo but he has no speed. They use him as Point Forward so that will keep Lee out of foul trouble as long as he doesn't reach. If Lee guards Lewis, there's the speed factor and Lee will have to go for pump fakes on jumpers.

I look at it as who will handle ZachLee when we're on offense and crashing the boards. I'm not saying our defense is what gets over on those other teams... only that our scoring and rebounding will keep us in the game unless we're facing Detroit, Boston or Toronto because those teams have bigs that score and rebound better than us. Other teams might beat us in scoring but not rebounding, and vice versa.

Yeah but Hedo and Lewis both love to shoot the 3. If our bigs are giving up 3 while scoring 2, it wont be good. But I just looked at the schedule and saw that we dont play Orlando until February, so who knows what will happen until then. We might have a different frontcourt and whatnot.
DENVER NUGGETS
StutterStep
RealGM

Post#13 » by StutterStep » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:19 am

^by then Curry will be in shape, and the JJ's will be medically cleared to play... so our bench of bigs plus Malik will carry the day. [/green font]
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,262

Post#14 » by Deeeez Knicks » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:25 am

It was actually worse last year. As bad as Lee is defensively, Curry is much worse especially since he hardly tries. That starting frontcourt could be one of the worst in recent history defensively.

There's nothing really we can do about it since we are committed/stuck with Zach/Curry and we are still trying to figure out what to do with Lee. Theres really nobody else on the roster that is a real good front court defender. I dont think its any secret that we have to find some kind of interior defensive presence, but I also understand we have a lot of other needs and we couldnt solve them all this offseason.

Also, when Jeffries comes back he will be an upgrade over Malik, although wont solve the problem. Just help a little.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
nycefnl
Pro Prospect
And1: 125

Post#15 » by nycefnl » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:00 am

we played against the right team. Their center is 6'9". The last game against the Nets should tell us how much we'll have problems with true centers unless we can exploit them on offense with the pick and roll. :wink:
KnicksScholar24
RealGM
And1: 287

Post#16 » by KnicksScholar24 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:13 am

The Knicks have had the worst defensive frontcourt for more than the last half decade.

Anyway, I wonder why Isiah's "The Quick" hasn't worked as well as D'Antoni's system has so far (in terms of fastbreaks and 100+ scoring), maybe because he doesn't try to force Curry into his system.
It's hard being a Knicks fan...
mjhp911
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14

Post#17 » by mjhp911 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:10 am

Well said.

Anyway, I wonder why Isiah's "The Quick" hasn't worked as well as D'Antoni's system has so far (in terms of fastbreaks and 100+ scoring), maybe because he doesn't try to force Curry into his system.

Curry turns it into quicksand...
Johnny Hoops
RealGM
And1: 2,212

Post#18 » by Johnny Hoops » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:50 pm

I have to say that D-Lee's defense is very very weak - he seems to have regressed. It could be from having to do everything on the court (run, score, rebound, defende, etc) but he seems to be getting worse.

Zach is very bad.

Craw is as bad as it gets at the 2G position.

I could go on and on.....our D is simply dreadful and its not just the athletic part of it -- they play stupid ass D.
elitethatsme
Junior
And1: 2

Post#19 » by elitethatsme » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:56 pm

that kid MCGEE from washington is exactly what we need
DE FENSE
RealGM
And1: 2,631

Post#20 » by DE FENSE » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:57 pm

Our frontcourt defense it horrendous, no question. I just wish they'd give a nice hard foul every once in a while to let guys know they won't be coming in the paint untouched.

Return to New York Knicks