ImageImageImageImageImage

We have the worst defensive frontcourt in the NBA

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

elitethatsme
Junior
And1: 2

Re: We have the worst defensive frontcourt in the NBA 

Post#21 » by elitethatsme » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:58 pm

mjhp911 wrote:
StutterStep wrote:The key with this front line is rebounding. If they rebound at a high clip and we keep the other team's SF honest, then we're fine.

Right now we're a middle the road team if you count DOMINANT teams. If you look at the EAST, we should only have problems these teams or frontlines: Detroit/Boston/Toronto... every one else I'm comfortable with ZachLee...

Well said.

Anyway, I wonder why Isiah's "The Quick" hasn't worked as well as D'Antoni's system has so far (in terms of fastbreaks and 100+ scoring), maybe because he doesn't try to force Curry into his system.

Curry turns it into quicksand...

Orlando could be aproblem too with Dwight.. and Philly with Brand
I_Love_NYK
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#22 » by I_Love_NYK » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:58 pm

Worse defensive front court?!?!? How about Worse defensive team!!!
GuyverADL
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#23 » by GuyverADL » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:23 pm

Welcome to 2007.
albert
Veteran
And1: 44

Post#24 » by albert » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:53 pm

We need Karate James, chopping down the competition.

CaptainFanchini
Veteran
And1: 137

Post#25 » by CaptainFanchini » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:05 pm

Go to see who where the PF and the center of PHX during the FINALS back in 2003-2004 and 2004-2005 ...

D'Antoni had a shot to the title playing with BORIS DIAW at center ...
Basketball is my religion
mugzi
General Manager
And1: 1,009

Post#26 » by mugzi » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:27 pm

Look, I want Zach and Curry gone, but there's no plethora of shotblocking defensive stalwarts at the Center position. The few guys there are all stars and not being traded by their teams...

If Thabeet matures a little more maybe he'll be a good fit here, but saying stiffs like Javale Mcgee would be the answer is reaching.
YouTube:CNDUBL
I never take offense
Or make amends
I was eight last time
I said Amen
Hard as steel won’t
Break or bend
Iron Mikes as real
As the day it ends.
Pedro Pistolas
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#27 » by Pedro Pistolas » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:41 pm

This is truly a bad defensive frontcourt. Zach doesn't try to contest a layup at all. Does he have feet problem or something because he doesn't jump at all...
nykfan70
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#28 » by nykfan70 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:52 pm

2010 wrote:We will not win consistently with a starting frontcourt of David Lee and Zack Randoph at the center and power forward positions.

We shot the ball well tonight but on nights where we shoot less than 47% from the field we will get BLOWN OUT because we do not protect the paint, block shots or defend anyone who comes past the foul line.

My wife watched the game with me and she's no basketball whiz by any stretch of the imagination and even she said "why do you continue to watch this team every year, they just let everyone go right by them and score" when the Heat were making their run in the 4th quarter. I mean, damn...if even she notices their lack of defensive awareness WE ARE IN TROUBLE.

This win is fools gold. If we are playing any good team we get blown out because although we can score we cannot get stops when it counts.

Walsh needs to get us a shotblocker and FAST! I believe that if we get a defensive presence in the paint we will be good enough to be in the hunt for the 8th seed.

STFU!
Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 225

Post#29 » by Flaming Mo » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:20 am

Good point. But we also have to see that this is what we got and not what we will have. Of course we need an athletic big who can play above the rim and challenge shots. But we are at the beginning of building a core and we can't expect our front office to find the perfect player for every position in one summer... it just not works this way...
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies...
Paeds
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#30 » by Paeds » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:27 am

We Have the Best Rebounding Frontcourt in the NBA
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#31 » by Alfred » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:14 am

I've been down on the Knicks for a while, but I think you guys are moving in the right direction! While Zach and Lee aren't very good defensively, I've been impressed with Lee's offensive improvement (especially the addition of a jumpshot), and Zach seems to be in the right frame of mind this year.

Honestly, I think that a lot of the problems Zach had last year were due to Isiah. He looked upset every time I saw him, and Thomas seemed to be screwing around with his emotions and playing time.

I think D'Antoni and Walsh will help your franchise out immensely. Leadership comes from the top of organizations and percolates downwards.
RealGM
And1: 39,216

Post#32 » by 2010 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:32 am

Flaming Mo wrote:Good point. But we also have to see that this is what we got and not what we will have. Of course we need an athletic big who can play above the rim and challenge shots. But we are at the beginning of building a core and we can't expect our front office to find the perfect player for every position in one summer... it just not works this way...

True! I'm just hoping that Walsh recognizes that as an integral piece that we are missing and is set on acquiring a shotblocker at his earliest convenience. Reason I'm saying this is because we let two young defensive-minded shotblockers go who were cheap in Balkman and Ewing Jr. and Walsh mentioned that we needed shooters as the reason he kept Roberson so I'm hoping he places more importance on getting a defensive big over more perimeter players for D'Antoni's offense.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
Paeds
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#33 » by Paeds » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:21 am

2010 wrote:
Flaming Mo wrote:Good point. But we also have to see that this is what we got and not what we will have. Of course we need an athletic big who can play above the rim and challenge shots. But we are at the beginning of building a core and we can't expect our front office to find the perfect player for every position in one summer... it just not works this way...

True! I'm just hoping that Walsh recognizes that as an integral piece that we are missing and is set on acquiring a shotblocker at his earliest convenience. Reason I'm saying this is because we let two young defensive-minded shotblockers go who were cheap in Balkman and Ewing Jr. and Walsh mentioned that we needed shooters as the reason he kept Roberson so I'm hoping he places more importance on getting a defensive big over more perimeter players for D'Antoni's offense.

Why do people keep saying that, Walsh has said numerous times that we need a shotblocker
RealGM
And1: 39,216

Post#34 » by 2010 » Sat Nov 1, 2008 6:17 pm

I tried to tell you guys that the win on opening night was FOOLS GOLD. Only reason we beat the heat is because they have undersized big-men who aren't post players (Beasley, Marion, Haslem) and can't really hurt you much by overpowing you with size or low post dominance.

Against any team with good bigs we will get CRUSHED. Lee/Randolph as our starting frontcourt is an embarrassment to the city of New York and to the legacy of the 90's Knicks brand of basketball. Lee/Randolph make it seem as if Kurt Thomas' number should be retired and hanging from the rafters, lol.

I truly hope when Jeffries is healthy D'Antoni stops this nonsense and breaks up Lee/Randolph by starting JJ with Zbo and bringing Lee off the bench with the 2nd unit to run with Nate, Chandler, Gallo and Collins

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,086

Post#35 » by blueNorange » Sat Nov 1, 2008 6:17 pm

2010 wrote:I tried to tell you guys that the win on opening night was FOOLS GOLD. Only reason we beat the heat is because they have undersized big-men who aren't post players (Beasley, Marion, Haslem) and can't really hurt you much by overpowing you with size or low post dominance.

Against any team with good bigs we will get CRUSHED. Lee/Randolph as our starting frontcourt is an embarrassment to the city of New York and to the legacy of the 90's Knicks brand of basketball. Lee/Randolph make it seem as if Kurt Thomas' number should be retired and hanging from the rafters, lol.

I truly hope when Jeffries is healthy D'Antoni stops this nonsense and breaks up Lee/Randolph by starting JJ with Zbo and bringing Lee off the bench with the 2nd unit to run with Nate, Chandler, Gallo and Collins

which comes back to my argument which nobody really likes, the reason the knicks made the playoffs in 2003-04 wasn't because of marbury ... it was because the knicks had mutombo and thomas playing superb interior defense. thomas may not have a shotblocker but he knew how to lay a hard foul to send a messege.

i miss kurt ... he's one of those players that didn't get respected until he was gone.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Post#36 » by EricAnderson » Sat Nov 1, 2008 6:51 pm

our frontcourt defensively is beyond horrendous

but people need to calm down,we are not one piece away we are numerous pieces away from even relevancy

our best players are as bad as any team in the laegues best players and our young core isnt anyhting to build around just decent complementary pieces

you worry about specific wekanesses when yuor ready to compete or take a next step we are not in that range..we just need allot more talent point blank..

were in the range of just trying to get some of our players trade values back up and make them decent assets to trade

so yes we need a shotblocker but also tons of other things notably allot more talent because our current talent level isnt gonna get anything done
Citris
Pro Prospect
And1: 9

Post#37 » by Citris » Sat Nov 1, 2008 9:46 pm

We need a shooter at SG, with defensive ability, and interior defense/shotblocking. Lee, Chandler, and Gallinari are talented players. Duhon and Nate at PG ( Crawford/Collins too,) is pretty good but of course an upgrade would be great; however so.
oak3334
Junior
And1: 13

Post#38 » by oak3334 » Sat Nov 1, 2008 10:24 pm

Is this a post from last year, year before. The Knicks have not had a good defensive big man since..........wow, Ewing and Oak, Mason too I don't want to forget him. He'll come to my house and knock my teeth down my throat.
Clyde Drexler, called Oakley a dirty player. Told of Drexler’s comment, Oak said, “He can blow me.”

Return to New York Knicks