ImageImageImageImageImage

What's the point of making the playoffs?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

rrosario35
Sixth Man
And1: 92

What's the point of making the playoffs? 

Post#1 » by rrosario35 » Sun Nov 2, 2008 9:49 pm

I mean,... Perhaps I'm a bit naive...

Most people here dont feel the Knicks have enough to win a ring, Yet they want our team to make the playoffs? Whats the benefit of making it to the playoffs & getting bumped in the first 2nd or 3rd round?

Sure I want this team to make the playoffs... Sure I want them to win a ring and every minute (Till it's obvious they are tanking or not making it) I will cheer for this team and root root root.
MRSAVictim
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: What's the point of making the playoffs? 

Post#2 » by MRSAVictim » Sun Nov 2, 2008 9:51 pm

pride? fun? isnt that the point of all this?
NySpartan4
Bench Warmer
And1: 6

Post#3 » by NySpartan4 » Sun Nov 2, 2008 9:56 pm

rrosario35 wrote:I mean,... Perhaps I'm a bit naive...

Most people here dont feel the Knicks have enough to win a ring, Yet they want our team to make the playoffs? Whats the benefit of making it to the playoffs & getting bumped in the first 2nd or 3rd round?

Sure I want this team to make the playoffs... Sure I want them to win a ring and every minute (Till it's obvious they are tanking or not making it) I will cheer for this team and root root root.

r u bipolar? just curious!
Bill Bradley: BNO doesn't annoy me with his pessimism. It's more about the very core of his being that I find annoying.
AlCelticFan
General Manager
And1: 6,470

Post#4 » by AlCelticFan » Sun Nov 2, 2008 10:08 pm

MRSAVictim wrote:pride? fun? isnt that the point of all this?

That pride and fun will be quickly stripped away and turned to shame and anger when you lose every single year in the first round, because of lack of foresight.

It is like going on a diet. Yeah, it might be FUN to eat that pie, but it isn't fun to be fat.

so you have to balance things. And that is where strategy comes in. anyone here play poker? Is it more fun and prideful to play lots of hands and mix it up? Well you quickly find out that pride and fun don't add up to WINNING. And it is much the same in professional basketball.

You guys NEED to tank, at least this season. Then maybe next season or the one after you can pick up a big name free agent to go with your draft pick from next year (hopefully a very low pick)

That's just how rebuilding works in the NBA!
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,335

Post#5 » by Scalabrine » Sun Nov 2, 2008 10:13 pm

How do you know? You were given two allstars, you didnt rebuild so dont talk like you know what its like to go through rebuliding stages. When a friend of Walsh, and former New York Knick becomes GM and happens to have one of the best players in the league that has won MVPs then pipe up but right now, just STFU (I dont think ive ever wrote that).
Go Knicks!
DocZaius
Banned User
And1: 56

Post#6 » by DocZaius » Sun Nov 2, 2008 11:37 pm

a first round exit is not worth destroying your future for

i hope they dont make it so we get a high draft pick
AlCelticFan
General Manager

Post#7 » by AlCelticFan » Mon Nov 3, 2008 12:11 am

Scalabrine wrote:How do you know? You were given two allstars, you didnt rebuild so dont talk like you know what its like to go through rebuliding stages. When a friend of Walsh, and former New York Knick becomes GM and happens to have one of the best players in the league that has won MVPs then pipe up but right now, just STFU (I dont think ive ever wrote that).

You are ignorant. I'll assume you don't follow Celtics basketball. We;ve been rebuilding for years now. And Danny Ainge traded for two all-stars, using players and picks that he painstakingly collected.

You are missing all of the important points if you think Boston was GIVEN ANYTHING. Boston had the best package to offer Minnesota, with Al Jefferson who averages like 20/10. Ray Allen we gave away two players and a #5 pick.

I hope you don't think you are going to magically become awesome. It takes diligence and careful prudent rebuilding.
NYKBaller
General Manager
And1: 241

Post#8 » by NYKBaller » Mon Nov 3, 2008 12:16 am

yeah, lets tank it for a pick
Follow me at @CTthatdude & watch www.youtube.com/CTthatdude
J9Starks3
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,195

Post#9 » by J9Starks3 » Mon Nov 3, 2008 12:17 am

1 reason to get to the playoffs, is we would then be able to give our non-lotto pick to the suns (or who ever owns it now) ... rather than possibly giving them an unprotected pick next season...
Governor Dudley
Starter
And1: 633

Post#10 » by Governor Dudley » Mon Nov 3, 2008 12:22 am

i'd rather have a team make the playoffs and get bounced than have a perennial loser, and laughing stock of the NBA with fans that are so accustomed to losing they look forward to taking every year.

i grew up watching the knicks make playoff runs every year, and now i get to see the younger cats advocate tanking every year like that is actually a rebuilding formula. it seems like they dont even know what its like to root for a winning team or how different playoff excitement is from regular season games. its kind of depressing.
the bizness
General Manager

Post#11 » by the bizness » Mon Nov 3, 2008 12:23 am

getting ray allen for the 5th pick wasn't considered a very good move until you got garnett as well. it really wasn't too much careful building for you guys but you just happened to have one really great offseason. ainge was considered a pretty poor gm before that, with moves like trading away the chance at foye/roy/gay for telfair etc.
AlCelticFan
General Manager

Post#12 » by AlCelticFan » Mon Nov 3, 2008 12:28 am

Only tank ONE year, not every year. Tanking every year is no good...

Well Bizness, I gues sit depends how you define rebuilding. Ainge did build up the value on the team slowly. Without the Telfair trade we could never have traded for Garnett. That is huge. I don't think fans really know what they are talking about half the time, and that goes for all fans, Celtics fans included. Ainge's rebuilding plan was ALWAYS to get young talent and then package it for veterans.

How many championship teams are young teams? Like none of them, right? So you get quality youth and package it.
jakoub
Pro Prospect
And1: 127

Post#13 » by jakoub » Mon Nov 3, 2008 12:33 am

so we can give utah a **** pick and not a lotto pick. To build a winning mentality? to get players to believe ny are contenders in the future so they would want to sign with ny. No forget lets tank fir jennings.
My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!"
the bizness
General Manager

Post#14 » by the bizness » Mon Nov 3, 2008 12:35 am

AlCelticFan wrote:Only tank ONE year, not every year. Tanking every year is no good...

Well Bizness, I gues sit depends how you define rebuilding. Ainge did build up the value on the team slowly. Without the Telfair trade we could never have traded for Garnett. That is huge. I don't think fans really know what they are talking about half the time, and that goes for all fans, Celtics fans included. Ainge's rebuilding plan was ALWAYS to get young talent and then package it for veterans.

How many championship teams are young teams? Like none of them, right? So you get quality youth and package it.

I don't think you can say he did that thinking ahead to making a trade. I mean, foye or rudy gay would have probably been more enticing in a trade. maybe the money in his contract might have helped but eh.

anyway I don't disagree too much about rebuilding. I think it might be moot anyway. the way things are looking I don't think we'll be needing to tank on purpose anyway.
Governor Dudley
Starter
And1: 633

Post#15 » by Governor Dudley » Mon Nov 3, 2008 12:39 am

AlCelticFan wrote:Only tank ONE year, not every year. Tanking every year is no good...

yes, tank one year. and the lotto doesnt go your way, then you're stuck with a 9th pick, and another year with a team full of overpaid players with zero trade value.

**** we dont even have a pick this year LMAO. forgot about that.
nyknicks2k2
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 574

Post#16 » by nyknicks2k2 » Mon Nov 3, 2008 12:40 am

Ainge may have had a plan but he wasn't good at it. He was constantly called a bad GM. I mean, obviously it helps saying "without this deal, we wouldn't have gotten KG" even though the deal happened a season before but I digress.
nyknicks2k2
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 574

Post#17 » by nyknicks2k2 » Mon Nov 3, 2008 12:41 am

Thugnificence wrote:

yes, tank one year. and the lotto doesnt go your way, then you're stuck with a 9th pick, and another year with a team full of overpaid players with zero trade value.

**** we dont even have a pick this year LMAO. forgot about that.

Hm?

We have our pick this year. We don't have it next year.
AlCelticFan
General Manager

Post#18 » by AlCelticFan » Mon Nov 3, 2008 12:43 am

Biz, with the Telfair trade we got a big expiring contract, Theo Ratliff. Not just Telfair. But yeah, who knows, clearly every move that GM's make isn't going to be perfect. We never got any relly low picks. think abotu that, I think we made the playoffs every year because we kept Pierce

Good luck. I love D'Antoni, and think you'll be fine once he gets his guys in here, and weeds out the ones that aren't working for you. I think you guys should be ecstatic about him, but it seems like some of you are upset about the hiring? Is that true?
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,250

Post#19 » by Luv those Knicks » Mon Nov 3, 2008 12:48 am

rrosario35 wrote:What's the point of making the playoffs?

Scroll forward to 40 seconds into the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwq7BYOnDrM
Go NY Go NY Go
AlCelticFan
General Manager

Post#20 » by AlCelticFan » Mon Nov 3, 2008 12:50 am

nyknicks2k2 wrote:If your going to insult posters, get what there saying first.

Ainge may have had a plan but he wasn't good at it. He was constantly called a bad GM. I mean, obviously it helps saying "without this deal, we wouldn't have gotten KG" even though the deal happened a season before but I digress.

What I'm curious about is this. Why does one great off season mean we have to hear about how awesome his trading and planning was? Not to mention, why do we want lessons on such?

Who did I insult? I am just discussing. If you are referring to the guy who told me to STFU, well he deserved a response.

Anyhow, it's a discussion. He says we didn't rebuild. We clearly rebuilt.

Your fanbase seem bitter. Be happy for the new situation. The pain will be over relatively soon. (2-3 years)

Bizness,
I don't know if Ainge saw to the future and planned ahead for the Garnett deal or not. He does get paid enough to consider these things, since even RealGMers can do it, and I am sure he has tons of advisors and stuff to help him strategize.

Peace.

Return to New York Knicks