ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Slappy(Calzaghe) Update in Less Than 3hrs

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Bob Ortegal
Junior
And1: 0

Re: OT: Slappy(Calzaghe) vs Pound 4 Pound(Roy)! 

Post#61 » by Bob Ortegal » Sun Nov 9, 2008 11:26 pm

Calzaghe could beat Muhammad Ali in his prime and Americans would say he has fought nobody. Calzaghe is, was and will always be better than Jones. He would have done this at any time of their careers.

Time to face facts that Joe Calzaghe is one of the great fighters of all time. Whether you enjoy his style or not is not the question. He is undefeated and been champion for 10 years and counting. He beat Bernard Hopkins, he beat Roy Jones Jr. If he beats Dawson then Americans will just say "well he hasnt beaten Mike Tyson".

Sorry yanks but thats how it is.
StutterStep
RealGM
And1: 58

Post#62 » by StutterStep » Sun Nov 9, 2008 11:28 pm

^Sorry but beating fighters out of their prime does not make you great. Stopping fighters from becoming "great" like Hopkins and Jones have done is what makes a great fighter.
Bob Ortegal
Junior

Post#63 » by Bob Ortegal » Sun Nov 9, 2008 11:39 pm

Calzaghe wanted to fight Roy Jones Jr 10 years ago. Roy said and I quote

"There is no money in it, Im not fighting him"

Americans were ducking Calzaghe, not the other way around.
StutterStep
RealGM

Post#64 » by StutterStep » Sun Nov 9, 2008 11:40 pm

There was no money in it because Calzaghe had no rep -- because of beating a bunch of nobodies.
VinnyTheMick
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#65 » by VinnyTheMick » Sun Nov 9, 2008 11:43 pm

StutterStep wrote:There was no money in it because Calzaghe had no rep -- because of beating a bunch of nobodies.

So why won't the Roy Jones fanboys just stfu about Jones not being in his prime? He ducked the fight back then when he was in his prime. I understand thats how the sport works but you got to understand thats why the sport has fallen off the friggin' map. The best fights wont happen because someone isn't famous enough. Its a joke.
http://www.nyccan.org/
Ask questions. Demand answers.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth.- Albert Einstein
Bob Ortegal
Junior

Post#66 » by Bob Ortegal » Sun Nov 9, 2008 11:53 pm

Calzaghe beat a bunch of nobodies because Americans were afraid to fight him Now that they are finally manning up we see the results
TheBluest
Banned User
And1: 8
Location: Lottery Bound...Banned From UK 2-11-09 @ 12:30 am by Martin LOL!

Post#67 » by TheBluest » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:23 am

Nobody wanted to fight him because he's a bum almost in the mold of Ricky Hatton the resume is suspect. The difference between the two Hatton actually fought an American fighter in is absolute prime whereas Calzaghe fought potential up and comings and those on the complete back half of their career. Matter of fact he wouldn't have beat Hopkins if his Thyroid problem was straight. I hope he decides to fight on and actually fight real comp.
TheBigBoss
RealGM
And1: 3,837

Post#68 » by TheBigBoss » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:42 am

Bob Ortegal wrote:Calzaghe could beat Muhammad Ali in his prime and Americans would say he has fought nobody. Calzaghe is, was and will always be better than Jones. He would have done this at any time of their careers.

Time to face facts that Joe Calzaghe is one of the great fighters of all time. Whether you enjoy his style or not is not the question. He is undefeated and been champion for 10 years and counting. He beat Bernard Hopkins, he beat Roy Jones Jr. If he beats Dawson then Americans will just say "well he hasnt beaten Mike Tyson".

Sorry yanks but thats how it is.

I'm American and I am a fan of Joe.
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 116

Post#69 » by TKF » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:39 am

Knickelz wrote:
TKF wrote:calzaghe gets no respect from me. beating a past his prime Jones and barely getting past a 42 year old Hopkins gains him nothing. His career is full of fights vs guys who are not elite fighters. Roy dissapointed me tonight, but I would love to see slappy calzaghe grow a pair, step up and fight Dawson and or Glen johnson. But he won't..

I agree about wanting to see Joe fight Johnson, I think Johnson's relentless style is exactly the kind of style that would give Joe trouble, but I think that is exactly why the fight never happened, I don't think team Calzaghe wanted to take the risk against Johnson.

First of all and knickelz this is not directed at you. Whoever said roy was never hit this much before tonight has not watched the tarver fight or the glen johnson fight. Both guys beat roy when he was still in his prime and glen johnson knocked roy through the canvas.

Now to your post knickelz:
Glen then went on to beat tarver. Had calzaghe had to fight, roy, hopkins, Tarver, Johnson even lesser heralded fighters like virgil hil and montel griffith, he would have had some losses. That is the key, calzaghe never put himself out there, no risk at all, while these guys were risking losses to other great fighters!!

You are right, a guy like glen johnson would have been trouble for calzaghe, even with glen at 40 years of age. And forget about chad Dawson. I bet calzaghe will quit for good if he has to fight this guy....
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#70 » by TKF » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:42 am

TheBluest wrote:
Jose7© wrote:
TKF wrote:those are the words of a fighter who is really at the end of his career. I don't know how much boxing you watch, but me and my boys have a boxing club, we watch fights, we work out at the boxing gym , it is a big thing for us. I have followed calzaghe's career for a while, and while he stayed overseas fighting bar keeps and milk farmers, Roy, B-hop, Glen johnson all have been over here fighting each other and other big names. CAlzaghe is a clown, I have no respect for that sucka...

That's what makes the argument so appealing boxing fans.
You can say Calzaghe a clown if you want but he needed this name, he needed this fight to cement his career. Roy in his prime would of probably cleaned him up but we can't put Roy in a time machine and say this or that would happen. I mean, I'm young and I didn't see EARLY Roy besides espn classics, highlights but have you ever seen Roy get hit this bad? They even said through 8 rounds alone, Clazaghe hit Roy the most he was ever hit and he was the first person to cut him.
Like Kellerman said, in some ways, it's similar to Lennox Lewis getting Tyson on his Resume in the later part of Tyson's career.

Calzaghe came into a hostile environment with EVERYTHING to lose and put on a show.

LOL I just Youtube'd some of his fights. The dude was fighting Truck Drivers, Diesel Mechanics, Fly Fishermen. HE'S A BUM plain and simple. The fight after the 6th round looked horrific with all the antics going on mainly by CALFAGHE doing Roy in the ring in particular in his corner and Roy just letting him. He was getting disrespected tremendously and Roy just did his Rollie Pollie act. This fight is exactly why you hate the sport.

:lol: I actually saw a few of his fights, and this guy has fought no one!!!! You forgot to add milk farmers!!!! :lol:

The fact that roy continued to let this clown idiot mock him, just made roy look bad. And that is sad, because 7 years ago, roy mops the floor with this bar fighter....
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#71 » by TKF » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:48 am

TheBluest wrote:Nobody wanted to fight him because he's a bum almost in the mold of Ricky Hatton the resume is suspect. The difference between the two Hatton actually fought an American fighter in is absolute prime whereas Calzaghe fought potential up and comings and those on the complete back half of their career. Matter of fact he wouldn't have beat Hopkins if his Thyroid problem was straight. I hope he decides to fight on and actually fight real comp.

I can respect hatton for that. He came and fought probably one of the best fighters in the world. No ducking, no trying to fluff his record for 12 years. He put it on the line!

the same thing with the klitzko brothers(excuse my spelling) I am not a fan of those guys, but they came over and fought guys in their primes, they didn't stay over in russia and try to act as if they were the worlds greatest fighters, they came to the states in search of the best fights! I don't like those guys, But I respect how they operate....
livintoolive
Head Coach
And1: 173

Post#72 » by livintoolive » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:50 am

TKF wrote:
TheBluest wrote:Nobody wanted to fight him because he's a bum almost in the mold of Ricky Hatton the resume is suspect. The difference between the two Hatton actually fought an American fighter in is absolute prime whereas Calzaghe fought potential up and comings and those on the complete back half of their career. Matter of fact he wouldn't have beat Hopkins if his Thyroid problem was straight. I hope he decides to fight on and actually fight real comp.

I can respect hatton for that. He came and fought probably one of the best fighters in the world. No ducking, no trying to fluff his record for 12 years. He put it on the line!

the same thing with the klitzko brothers(excuse my spelling) I am not a fan of those guys, but they came over and fought guys in their primes, they didn't stay over in russia and try to act as if they were the worlds greatest fighters, they came to the states in search of the best fights! I don't like those guys, But I respect how they operate....

You're back. I want keys.
R-DAWG wrote:i'd rather have the pick to package with Amare's contract next offseason, but hey, I'm just an MBA student at NYU what do I know about business.
The Letter V
Analyst
And1: 11

Post#73 » by The Letter V » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:38 am

TKF wrote:First of all and knickelz this is not directed at you. Whoever said roy was never hit this much before tonight has not watched the tarver fight or the glen johnson fight. Both guys beat roy when he was still in his prime and glen johnson knocked roy through the canvas.

No way. Roy's prime ended right after he moved back down in weight. IIRC it was more than a 20 lbs difference which Jones claims messed up his muscle structure. It makes sense because that is the only reasonable explanation for such a sudden downfall of one of the sport's greatest.

Tarver and Johnson fought the same Roy Jones that Calzaghe fought.
TheBluest
Banned User
And1: 8
Location: Lottery Bound...Banned From UK 2-11-09 @ 12:30 am by Martin LOL!

Post#74 » by TheBluest » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:38 am

TKF wrote:

To be honest I don't think CALFAGHE can beat Winky if he could make weight. Nobody will even remember this BUM 5yrs from now.
StutterStep
RealGM

Post#75 » by StutterStep » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:54 am

The Letter V wrote:
TKF wrote:First of all and knickelz this is not directed at you. Whoever said roy was never hit this much before tonight has not watched the tarver fight or the glen johnson fight. Both guys beat roy when he was still in his prime and glen johnson knocked roy through the canvas.

No way. Roy's prime ended right after he moved back down in weight. IIRC it was more than a 20 lbs difference which Jones claims messed up his muscle structure. It makes sense because that is the only reasonable explanation for such a sudden downfall of one of the sport's greatest.

Terrific post! Many people never mention that aspect of it -- no matter what happened last night. Roy Jones is easily the best fighter of his generation (post-Iron Mike).
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#76 » by TKF » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:02 am

The Letter V wrote:

I think the jones tarver and Johnson fought had a little more quickness and gas in the tank that the one that fought calzaghe, although you make a valid point..
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#77 » by TKF » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:05 am

StutterStep wrote:
The Letter V wrote:

Terrific post! Many people never mention that aspect of it -- no matter what happened last night. Roy Jones is easily the best fighter of his generation (post-Iron Mike).

I can't argue that, being the big roy jones fan that I am. But I think you also have to look at guys like Hopkins in that same light...
StutterStep
RealGM

Post#78 » by StutterStep » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:11 am

TKF wrote:I can't argue that, being the big roy jones fan that I am. But I think you also have to look at guys like Hopkins in that same light...

I didn't catch "wind" of BHop after he had defeated a few good fighters. A guy like Hopkins was the one who came in and took a champ's shine. Roy was the guy people claimed wasnt' fighting anyone, but simply put he was putting a stop to guy's careers while they were on the uprise -- to me that's more impressive.

It sort of reminds me of the night Chavez took Meldrick down in the 12th. I liked both fighters and was rooting for Taylor, but man that fight lives with me 'til this day. Meldrick was never the same.

When it comes to Jones, I remember when he broke Hill's rib with that uppercut... lethal!

Roy cleared a weight class or two because no one had a chance to rise -- same with primetime Iron Mike. I was so pissed how Evander ducked Mike early, then caught him after Mike came out of jail -- already a shell of his former self.
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#79 » by NYKAL » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:31 pm

TKF wrote:calzaghe gets no respect from me. beating a past his prime Jones and barely getting past a 42 year old Hopkins gains him nothing. His career is full of fights vs guys who are not elite fighters. Roy dissapointed me tonight, but I would love to see slappy calzaghe grow a pair, step up and fight Dawson and or Glen johnson. But he won't..

I agree, this guy is a clown fighter. IN his prime roy kills him.... He got floored by roy and outslapped roy for 12 rounds... roy was not hurt at all..[/quote]

HEY Hopkins is a freak of nature. You can't take anything away from Joe there considering what Hopkins just did recently so TKF thats not a credible statement.

Also if your using Hopkins as a barometer then you have to say Hop would destroy Roy to since he convincingly beat that guy who delivered the very first Knock out of Jones career. Beat the snot out of him.

Also Jones in his prime - aren't they around the same age. What about him facing a Joe in HIS PRIME.
Who knows how good Joe was in his prime. The fact is he DID beat Hopkins ( saw the fight and we can agree to disagree on that one) but, who did Roy beat to deserve this fight. A broke down Tito. Someone from the contender?.

Also Roy avoided a many of the more dangerous divisional opponents for years (the two who knocked his ass out are just a few)
#1knickfan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#80 » by #1knickfan » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:19 pm

Knickelz wrote:Call them slaps if you want, but those "slaps" score points in the eyes of judges.

I never said they didn't.

Return to New York Knicks