ImageImageImageImageImage

Am I the only one who DIDN'T want OJ Mayo?

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Mayo?

Agree: Mayo would have been like a Marbury who needs the ball and NOT make the Knicks better.
21%
Disagree: He is a definitive all star who WOULD have made the Knicks better.
79%

Total votes: 29

onlyonesharky
Starter
And1: 0

Am I the only one who DIDN'T want OJ Mayo? 

Post#1 » by onlyonesharky » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:37 pm

I never wanted the Knicks to draft him. I was praying (literally) that some other team pick him up. To me he was (and still is) a player that won't be that good of a player. Can't dribble with his left hand. He's in great shape but he ain't no superstar.

I am going to create a poll. Now I am not stating that I would rather have drafted Galinari more than Mayo BUT I would much rather have not had the OPTION of Mayo and choose Galinari (like what actually did happen).
Let's give LEBRON the BLACK-AND-BLUE-PRINT!
boomann21
RealGM
And1: 2,777

Re: Am I the only one who DIDN'T want OJ Mayo? 

Post#2 » by boomann21 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:39 pm

Yes
BBALLER4FR
RealGM
And1: 8,176

Post#3 » by BBALLER4FR » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:48 pm

:nod: You are pretty much the onlyonesharky .
Those last 70 seconds, Randle in a nut shell.

Awful 2 for 1 3PT attempt when we are up 2
Doesn’t close out on Sabonis --> open 3
Takes another side step off balance 3

We got sucked into the Randle vortex where all good feelings go to die.

Buttah304
Jcrawford11
Banned User
And1: 18

Post#4 » by Jcrawford11 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:53 pm

do u think craw and mayo could have played togetehr in the backcourt...that would b scarey but prolly not enough shots
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#5 » by NYKAL » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:36 pm

I have to disagree with there not being enough shots for a Mayo/Crawford tandem. If you look at the way May has performed. Sure he has put points on the board in impressive fashion but, he also does it within the game.

Really, if the Knicks can have 3-4 players around 20points then May would have been a non issue.

Last night Chandler, N8, Crawford and Zach were all at or hovering around 20points a game. That tells me that in the new system, shots are not an issue
ITGM
RealGM
And1: 7,970

Post#6 » by ITGM » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:20 pm

There was a bus load of people who did'nt want OJ Mayo months even weeks before the draft. I remember reading comments like we need a defensive big man first so we should draft Hibbert or Arthur at #6. People also believed Batumn wouldn't be a bad pick at #6. All those people have all but now disappeared. Kinda like the Rick Rubio Lovers, who are still strong in numbers but are starting to dwindle down. They are starting to understand its all about Mr Brandon Jennings....
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,877

Post#7 » by Jose7 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:05 pm

I didn't want OJ Mayo at all.

He sure was impressive yesterday. I mean, did anyone see all of that explosiveness he displayed instead of taking off balance difficult jumpshots?

Definitely our future point guard with that beautiful .8 a/t ratio.

Nah but in all seriousness. He's a nice scorer with a nice jumpshot but he looked pretty much like Jamal Crawford and he wasn't impressive on defense.
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
#1knickfan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#8 » by #1knickfan » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:09 pm

I was always one of the people championing DJ Augustin. I really wanted the Knicks to get a point guard and so I felt if we didn't get a shot at Rose we should make sure we're in a position to get the only other guard prospect that could develop into a true point guard. The others like Bayless, Westbrook and Mayo were clearly combo guards.
some_rand
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#9 » by some_rand » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:21 pm

Jose7© wrote:I didn't want OJ Mayo at all.

He sure was impressive yesterday. I mean, did anyone see all of that explosiveness he displayed instead of taking off balance difficult jumpshots?

Nah but in all seriousness. He's a nice scorer with a nice jumpshot but he looked pretty much like Jamal Crawford and he wasn't impressive on defense.

all rookies struggle with turnovers its just a fact and at this point in his early career Mayo alreadly looks more efficient and consistent than crawford ever was. And a consistent crawford is a dangerous player
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,877

Post#10 » by Jose7 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:25 pm

some_rand wrote:
Jose7© wrote:I didn't want OJ Mayo at all.

all rookies struggle with turnovers its just a fact and at this point in his early career Mayo alreadly looks more efficient and consistent than crawford ever was. And a consistent crawford is a dangerous player

My point is that he's not a PG , he's a scoring guard. Mayo nut huggers talk about his great passing ability like he was the next coming.
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
haterade
Sixth Man
And1: 90

Post#11 » by haterade » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:33 pm

Mayo is a wing who can initiate the offense, like a Roy, MJ, Pippen type of player. This does not mean he is as good as those players but that is the type of game he has. He is also very competative and he has the intangibles you would like in your players. Think of it this way, even with Rudy Gay, Mayo is still the number 1 option on the team. He must be doing something right since he is a rookie, and Gay is coming off a great season. I do wish Mayo would rely less on his jumper and take it to the rim more which he can. But he is a rookie and just needs to learn and adjust to the NBA game.

Return to New York Knicks