ImageImageImageImageImage

Wiretap: Marbury wants all HIS money

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

King of Canada
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,011

Wiretap: Marbury wants all HIS money 

Post#1 » by King of Canada » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:26 pm

When asked about possibly taking less from the Knicks, Marbury said to a reporter, "If I owed you $100 and I said I'm going to give you $80 what would you say?"

What an idiot. In my eyes, he should be paying the Knicks BACK. I hope we don't buy him out, and he just sits out the entire season. I was always a Marbury supporter, but this guy is a total reject.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archi ... om_knicks/
BAF Pacers

F. Campazzo/ J. Clarkson/ K. Lewis Jr
D. Mitchell/ J. Richardson/S. Merrill
Luka/Melo
Zion/Gay/Gabriel
KAT/Kabengele

F. Mason, Jontay, J. Harris

RIP mags :beer:
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,236

Re: Wiretap: Marbury wants all HIS money 

Post#2 » by gavran » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:30 pm

Why is this even on wiretap? 3 weeks ago ha said the same thing, and it was on wiretap too.
earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant
And1: 839

Post#3 » by earthmansurfer » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:32 pm

King of Canada wrote:
When asked about possibly taking less from the Knicks, Marbury said to a reporter, "If I owed you $100 and I said I'm going to give you $80 what would you say?"

What an idiot. In my eyes, he should be paying the Knicks BACK. I hope we don't buy him out, and he just sits out the entire season. I was always a Marbury supporter, but this guy is a total reject.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archi ... om_knicks/

I concur, Marbury allow me to introduce you to the bench. Get used to it. I want him at all games and practicing as to help our starters and backups out. You are now a part of the practice squad.

This is beyond selfishness. We are not really looking to take advantage of him. We just want the difference between what he is worth (what another team will pay) and the buy out amount.

edit - Also, love his analogy. Where he leaves out the fact that he will essentially be getting the difference from the other team. Great Logic there... This is pure Ego of... The Starbury

EMS
AyAsiB KNICKS
Starter
And1: 0

Post#4 » by AyAsiB KNICKS » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:33 pm

let him rot in the bench!or just send him home...@ssholebury!
Jmonty580
General Manager
And1: 400

Post#5 » by Jmonty580 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:33 pm

I understand where Marbury is coming from. Its really simple really. Whats more important to Marbury? Getting all of his money or being able to play basketball?

If someone owed me 100 would I want to take 80? Of course not. However If I had an oppurtunity to invest that 80 and double it, well then i probably would cut my losses on the 20 bucks because im going to end up with 140 when its all said and done (80 x 2 = 160 - 20 = 140). He's not thinking like that, he rather sit on the Knicks bench and make the 100 and in the meantime imo he's hurting his chances of getting any real money in the future.

I do think the KNicks should just pay him and get it over with, but if they want to sit him there on the bench and pay him then they have that right. They are paying for him so they can do whatever they want with him really. May not make any sense, but hey, its their money.
Big Dawg
Junior
And1: 3

Post#6 » by Big Dawg » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:56 pm

The problem now is that for Marbury this is personal. D'Antoni dissed him on opening night. So like a vengeful ex-wife he wants to stick it to the Knicks.
I_Love_NYK
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#7 » by I_Love_NYK » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:03 pm

It's plain and simple if you were owed 100 dollars would you take 80?

The majority of NBA players who are gonna make 21.9 million dollars would do the same thing.

Did they pay Shandon Anderson all of his money?
Bluejimmy
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#8 » by Bluejimmy » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:16 pm

Considering how Marbury abandoned the team in Phoenix I applaud how the Knicks are handling it. It doesnt seem to be negatively affecting the players on the floor either, and as long as its not a distraction to them I think Walsh is handling it the right way.
rrosario35
Sixth Man
And1: 92

Post#9 » by rrosario35 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:17 pm

You know... I want to like him, because he's from Brooklyn & he can be pretty nasty...

BUt the man is just an idiot he reminds me of some people I've known & distanced myself from throughout my life.

The kid is just not smart and it makes you wonder ow he got into Georgia Tech anywho... Arent there certain standards one must have to get into that fine institution? What your telling me they bent the rules for Steph? You mean they have done this for other players? What do you mean I've never seen Blue Chips with Shaquille O'neal... you mean he was a Moron?
Paeds
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#10 » by Paeds » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:19 pm

Yes but doesnt the new team have to pay him a salary?

so if he took 80 and got 25 from the new team he would make more right?
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,957

Post#11 » by chitownsports4ever » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:20 pm

If I was Walsh I would give Marbury all his money and send him home. There is no reason to buy him out just honor the contract and no contract guarantees playing time . This would be the last time I would discuss it this year if we dont get something done now its on Marbury and I wouldnt be discussing it again and I wouldnt expect to hear anything from him again about it. Thats what I would tell that player rep and thats what I would tell Marbury and let him have until the end of the week to think about it.
Got a Gold Name Plate that says "I wish you would"
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,204

Post#12 » by seren » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:37 pm

chitownsports4ever wrote:If I was Walsh I would give Marbury all his money and send him home. There is no reason to buy him out just honor the contract and no contract guarantees playing time . This would be the last time I would discuss it this year if we dont get something done now its on Marbury and I wouldnt be discussing it again and I wouldnt expect to hear anything from him again about it. Thats what I would tell that player rep and thats what I would tell Marbury and let him have until the end of the week to think about it.

I agree 100%. Of course Marbury is entitled to all his money. It is just stupid on his behalf not to compromise. How can he get a decent contract next year if he DNP the whole year? I would guess Walsh is only asking two three million pay cut just to save face. Marbs can make some of that with his next contract and if he shows that he is good enough, he will be able to sign a lucrative offer next summer. Otherwise, he is doomed to minimum or overseas next season.
rrosario35
Sixth Man
And1: 92

Post#13 » by rrosario35 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:40 pm

I don't thing Marbury understands the logistics of what Walsh is trying to do. I truly do feel he is that dense and I see him in the meeting being a bit ghetto, retired & difficult... I see the representatives from the Players Association rolling their eyes trying to help him.

Steph... Basically you take 3 million from San Antonio and the Knicks will give you 18... consider it like a trade without the Knicks getting anything in return.

Or perhaps steph doesnt want to leave NY and he'll make it difficult.
If the Knicks agree to pay him a full 21 million & say he can only go to the West; he'll probably say "No i want to stay close to NY" and make the process more difficult.

Bottom line... Stephs an idiot
knicks742
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22

Post#14 » by knicks742 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:42 pm

I am not a marbury fan but I do see his point from a business perspective. But like another poster said he hasn't factored in that apparently the Knicks are willing to pay him pretty much the difference between his Knicks contract and the new contract so he would be getting the same amount this year.

More importantly for him is that he has to factor in what not playing will do to his market value for next year. I think that he still has a couple of good years less and he should be able to command a mid level exception deal but if he doesnt play he probably doesnt get more than the minimum veteran's next year.

He hasn't caused any problems with the team so I don't really see the big deal. I honestly had already forgotten about him.
bklynstoops
Head Coach
And1: 1,530

Post#15 » by bklynstoops » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:06 pm

knicks742 wrote:I honestly had already forgotten about him.

see, I think that's what really gets him and why he is refusing to negotiate a buyout. He realizes he's done here and no one is going to miss him. I would think he's pretty embarrassed about how irrelevant he's become, and now this buyout is his last line of defense in saving face (in his distorted mind). He doesn't want people to think he's being pushed out with his tail between his legs. He's going to show everyone how bad he is, so he starts talking about getting not "one penny less" like he's some gangsta businessman. It's pretty short-sighted and kinda dumb, but what else do you expect from this guy?
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 28

Post#16 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:08 pm

Remember that it is not Walsh's money. Walsh would probably gladly pay him & get rid of him.

Walsh is passing on the orders & following the wishes of Dolan
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
- -- Chinese proverb
Paeds
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#17 » by Paeds » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:14 pm

The Vets minimum for Marbury is like 1.3 mil so if he knows of a team that would sign him for that he could accept 1.3 mil off his contract at least.

But he needs a agent because he thinks hes saving money but he is really probably losing money longterm
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,544

Post#18 » by Capn'O » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:18 pm

Walsh probably lowballed him at first. Like, 14 mil or something. I don't think Marbury's stupid not to accept the first offer. They'll find their price or Marbury can sit. If he goes through the whole year like this then he's truly a moron.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Boss_
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 233

Post#19 » by Boss_ » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:25 pm

lol @ some of you guys..

if i were getting paid 20 million this season..and i worked my ASS off to get in shape for a new coach and to show up ready for a big season..only to be told AFTER preseason and after showing up that I wont play a single minute...I wouldnt take a pay cut to leave the team..n yea walsh probably did lowball him..he has no agent..probably wants to see how stupid he is..here marbs..take 14 mil..

i would sit on the bench and eat popcorn every game..and smile knowing im getting every penny of that 21 million.
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,313

Post#20 » by duetta » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:34 pm

What the Knicks should have done is encourage Marbury to begin soliciting offers this summer, in the hope that he would attract a multi-year MLE+ deal - and the promise that they would then pay him the difference owed. That way, Marbury would have been able to get his money this year as well as secure future employment.

This thing was handled abysmally.

Return to New York Knicks