ImageImageImageImageImage

Mobley set for more tests, might miss the rest of season

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

boomann21
RealGM
And1: 2,777

Mobley set for more tests, might miss the rest of season 

Post#1 » by boomann21 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:52 pm

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11262008/sports/knicks/more_tests_for_missing_mobley_140926.htm

Mobley is not out of the woods, as a Knicks official said Mobley will undergo further tests on his heart in the next few days. He was not at the Garden last night; his plane from Boston was delayed. Knicks president Donnie Walsh said Mobley won't play the rest of the week.

Asked if Mobley may not play this season, Walsh alarmingly said, "I don't know that. We're taking the right precautions."

Wasn't Mobely playing in LA?
kosmovitelli
RealGM
And1: 429

Re: Mobley set for more tests, might miss the rest of season 

Post#2 » by kosmovitelli » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:18 pm

Mobley is not out of the woods, as a Knicks official said Mobley will undergo further tests on his heart in the next few days. He was not at the Garden last night; his plane from Boston was delayed. Knicks president Donnie Walsh said Mobley won't play the rest of the week.

Asked if Mobley may not play this season, Walsh alarmingly said, "I don't know that. We're taking the right precautions."

Good news. Donnie is acting smart by saying Mobley will not play the rest of the week.
Guess what ? Next monday is december 1.

If Mobley can't play for the rest of the season then we can apply the league for a disabled player exception and we'll have until october 1 to use it. We can either sign or a acquire a player worth $4.5M. Of course, that player should have a contract expiring in 2010.
Nothing major but it would give us more flexibility to improve our roster. If a team has a contract expiring in 2010 and they're looking for instant cap relief (to avoid to pay the luxury tax) then we may squeeze a pick out of them. It's exactly what the Jazz (Gugliotta trade) or the Sonics (Kurt Thomas trade) did with the Suns. They even got two first round picks. We can also get a player we need with that exception.
Anyways, it's only speculation but if Mobley is disabled and we are granted the disabled player exception then it gives Walsh more flexibility to improve the roster/acquire assets.

I don't know if Mobley will be disabled and we will get the DPE but Donnie's right to try. Pretty smart manoeuvring.

[quote]Salary Cap FAQ :

This exception allows a team which is over the cap to acquire a replacement for a disabled player who will be out for the remainder of that season (if the player is disabled between July 1 and November 30) or the following season (if the player is disabled after November 30).
This exception can only be used to acquire one player. The maximum salary for the replacement player is 50% of the injured player's salary, or the average salary, whichever is less.

If the player is disabled between December 1 and June 30, then the team has until October 1 to sign a replacement.[/quote]
EchelonNYK
RealGM
And1: 6,660

Post#3 » by EchelonNYK » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:23 pm

It's offical. god hates the New York Knicks.
RealGM
And1: 39,134

Post#4 » by 2010 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:25 pm

SENSATIONALISM

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
Lord Commander
Head Coach
And1: 1,549

Post#5 » by Lord Commander » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:33 pm

Cute-ino is heartbroken that his "boy" Stevie Franchise is no longer with the team...
kosmovitelli
RealGM
And1: 429

Post#6 » by kosmovitelli » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:19 pm

ToHoleWithSoul wrote:Cute-ino is heartbroken that his "boy" Stevie Franchise is no longer with the team...

Not heartbroken, back broken ! LOL
Daaaarryyl
Starter
And1: 502
Location: Eddie's house wondering why he wants to get me and Dave drunk.

Post#7 » by Daaaarryyl » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:11 pm

kosmovitelli wrote:

Good news. Donnie is acting smart by saying Mobley will not play the rest of the week.
Guess what ? Next monday is december 1.

If Mobley can't play for the rest of the season then we can apply the league for a disabled player exception and we'll have until october 1 to use it. We can either sign or a acquire a player worth $4.5M. Of course, that player should have a contract expiring in 2010.
Nothing major but it would give us more flexibility to improve our roster. If a team has a contract expiring in 2010 and they're looking for instant cap relief (to avoid to pay the luxury tax) then we may squeeze a pick out of them. It's exactly what the Jazz (Gugliotta trade) or the Sonics (Kurt Thomas trade) did with the Suns. They even got two first round picks. We can also get a player we need with that exception.
Anyways, it's only speculation but if Mobley is disabled and we are granted the disabled player exception then it gives Walsh more flexibility to improve the roster/acquire assets.

I don't know if Mobley will be disabled and we will get the DPE but Donnie's right to try. Pretty smart manoeuvring.

Salary Cap FAQ :

This exception allows a team which is over the cap to acquire a replacement for a disabled player who will be out for the remainder of that season (if the player is disabled between July 1 and November 30) or the following season (if the player is disabled after November 30).
This exception can only be used to acquire one player. The maximum salary for the replacement player is 50% of the injured player's salary, or the average salary, whichever is less.

If the player is disabled between December 1 and June 30, then the team has until October 1 to sign a replacement.[/quote]

I guess I was the only one who took the time to read that. You make a very interesting point!

(btw is that how the Jazz got our '09 pick??). If Donnie can pull that off and get a pick or two I swear I'll blow him!!! And no I ain't gay!
Bulls69 wrote:The think about the Bulls we realizes we sucks but the Knicks on the other hand think everyone wants to play a garbage a** team. get real a team who has not won a win in over thirty -five years

Less Bulls, MORE books!!
GuyverADL
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#8 » by GuyverADL » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:55 pm

Walsh and company cant possibly be tanking. :roll:

:nonono: :nonono: :nonono:

Who cares about 4.5 million when we would have a HUGE hole at SG.

Walsh and D'Antankin need to stop talking out of both sides of their mouth.
richardhutnik
Banned User
And1: 10

Post#9 » by richardhutnik » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:08 pm

One way or another, he will create a roster space and figure out how to get Ewing Jr. on the roster.

If Nate is out, Q is at the 2 and Chandler is at the 3. There is a hole at PG more than SG at this point.

- Rich
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - G. Marx

Return to New York Knicks