ImageImageImageImageImage

Wilson Chandler a fit for Knicks

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

VirginiaKnickFan
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Wilson Chandler a fit for Knicks 

Post#1 » by VirginiaKnickFan » Fri Dec 5, 2008 1:07 pm

Chandler is the rarest of Knicks, and not only because he is athletic, oozing with potential and doesn't seek the spotlight. What separates Chandler from most of his teammates is that management believes he will still be around after 2010, when the Knicks dive into the free agent market to revamp their roster.

Mike D'Antoni sees it, which is why the coach is giving Chandler the opportunity to develop on the fly. On Tuesday against Portland, D'Antoni pulled him early in the third quarter because the 6-8 forward was slow to get back and then hit the side of the backboard with a three. Chandler spent the next five minutes on the bench being lectured by Richardson.

"This is pretty much his rookie year in terms of getting minutes," said Richardson, who like Chandler attended DePaul. "When you're playing all those minutes your legs get tired, you get tired mentally and you have to fight through it."

Chandler, the last of Isiah Thomas' draft picks, appeared in only 35 games last season despite the Knicks winning just 23. It was a lost season in many ways.

D'Antoni sees him as a power forward and has compared Chandler to Shawn Marion. But Chandler has also played shooting guard and small forward, positions which have exposed one of his weaknesses - ball-handling - and made it harder for him to find his niche.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baske ... tml?page=0
BBALLER4FR
RealGM
And1: 8,176

Re: Wilson Chandler a fit for Knicks 

Post#2 » by BBALLER4FR » Fri Dec 5, 2008 1:18 pm

VirginiaKnickFan wrote:
Chandler is the rarest of Knicks, and not only because he is athletic, oozing with potential and doesn't seek the spotlight. What separates Chandler from most of his teammates is that management believes he will still be around after 2010, when the Knicks dive into the free agent market to revamp their roster.

Mike D'Antoni sees it, which is why the coach is giving Chandler the opportunity to develop on the fly. On Tuesday against Portland, D'Antoni pulled him early in the third quarter because the 6-8 forward was slow to get back and then hit the side of the backboard with a three. Chandler spent the next five minutes on the bench being lectured by Richardson.

"This is pretty much his rookie year in terms of getting minutes," said Richardson, who like Chandler attended DePaul. "When you're playing all those minutes your legs get tired, you get tired mentally and you have to fight through it."

Chandler, the last of Isiah Thomas' draft picks, appeared in only 35 games last season despite the Knicks winning just 23. It was a lost season in many ways.

D'Antoni sees him as a power forward and has compared Chandler to Shawn Marion. But Chandler has also played shooting guard and small forward, positions which have exposed one of his weaknesses - ball-handling - and made it harder for him to find his niche.

:o :o

Isn't this getting ridiculous? Richardson lecturing someone after they brick a shot. Oy, vey...don't they see the irony? Can we put Allan Houston on the bench and a gag on Richardson?
Those last 70 seconds, Randle in a nut shell.

Awful 2 for 1 3PT attempt when we are up 2
Doesn’t close out on Sabonis --> open 3
Takes another side step off balance 3

We got sucked into the Randle vortex where all good feelings go to die.

Buttah304
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,430

Post#3 » by RHODEY » Fri Dec 5, 2008 1:48 pm

BBALLER4FR wrote:
VirginiaKnickFan wrote:

Isn't this getting ridiculous? Richardson lecturing someone after they brick a shot. Oy, vey...don't they see the irony? Can we put Allan Houston on the bench and a gag on Richardson?

Yeah but what does bricking his shot have to do with imparting veteran knowledge on how to fight through fatique or how to play with pride and confidence? Are you also one fo the flock that thought Q should sit by humbled ,while the Celtics talk **** about us? I find it refreshing that someone on our team has the guts to take a leadership role because honestly, someone has to do it. Allan Houston - sweet shot aside - wasn't all that vocal nand a bit of the soft side. So imo Q would actaully make a better leader.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,487

Post#4 » by j4remi » Fri Dec 5, 2008 3:21 pm

I think if Q retired soon, he could end up in an office position like Houston. He's a very good leader...bad ball player.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
BBALLER4FR
RealGM

Post#5 » by BBALLER4FR » Fri Dec 5, 2008 3:53 pm

RHODEY wrote:
Yeah but what does bricking his shot have to do with imparting veteran knowledge on how to fight through fatique or how to play with pride and confidence? Are you also one fo the flock that thought Q should sit by humbled ,while the Celtics talk **** about us? I find it refreshing that someone on our team has the guts to take a leadership role because honestly, someone has to do it. Allan Houston - sweet shot aside - wasn't all that vocal nand a bit of the soft side. So imo Q would actaully make a better leader.

Q ain't led $h!t since he's gotten here. Just like Malik, these 2 cats know they can't what they're paid millions to do (which is play ball) so they hide behind the "leadership" role and the masses eat that up like it justifies being terrible at the things that matter. If Q can't talk himself into hitting shots who the f*ck is he to be mentoring Chandler. I want Houston to mentor chandler because even with rickety knees his shot was pure and his words actually mean something because he was able to will a team to the playoffs. Q-Rich, for all his leadership skills hasn't been able to lead this team since his arrival, what's that tell you? All it says to me is he finds resourceful ways to hide amongst useful players.

Buttah304
NYKBaller
General Manager
And1: 241

Post#6 » by NYKBaller » Fri Dec 5, 2008 3:59 pm

this is basically Chandler's rookie year
Follow me at @CTthatdude & watch www.youtube.com/CTthatdude
rrosario35
Sixth Man
And1: 92

Post#7 » by rrosario35 » Fri Dec 5, 2008 4:10 pm

Why do people get so overwhelmed by the word "Lecture" I mean seriously... i dont think Q was bitching at him about the shot I think it was more along the lines like "You're young and there will be days like this.

I mean read the two lines below the section where you freaked out

I think Q is a good Big Brother type on the team and you know what he's played beyond my expectations this year so I'm cool with it... He's more of a leader than say Ron Artest
Brownsville's Finest
Lead Assistant
And1: 12

Post#8 » by Brownsville's Finest » Fri Dec 5, 2008 6:19 pm

BBALLER4FR wrote:
VirginiaKnickFan wrote:

this is why i hate qbricks hes the first guy to yell at someone else for doing **** he does all the time
Brownsville's Finest
Lead Assistant
And1: 12

Post#9 » by Brownsville's Finest » Fri Dec 5, 2008 6:24 pm

BBALLER4FR wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

Q ain't led $h!t since he's gotten here. Just like Malik, these 2 cats know they can't what they're paid millions to do (which is play ball) so they hide behind the "leadership" role and the masses eat that up like it justifies being terrible at the things that matter. If Q can't talk himself into hitting shots who the f*ck is he to be mentoring Chandler. I want Houston to mentor chandler because even with rickety knees his shot was pure and his words actually mean something because he was able to will a team to the playoffs. Q-Rich, for all his leadership skills hasn't been able to lead this team since his arrival, what's that tell you? All it says to me is he finds resourceful ways to hide amongst useful players.

cosighn
BBALLER4FR
RealGM

Post#10 » by BBALLER4FR » Fri Dec 5, 2008 6:28 pm

^^^ I hear Eddy Curry is mentoring players on conditioning and proper diet. That's probably why D'Antoni will insert him back into the lineup when he returns. Ahhhhh can you smell that? It's his "leadership".

Buttah304
haterade
Sixth Man
And1: 90

Post#11 » by haterade » Fri Dec 5, 2008 7:22 pm

BBALLER4FR wrote:Q ain't led $h!t since he's gotten here. Just like Malik, these 2 cats know they can't what they're paid millions to do (which is play ball) so they hide behind the "leadership" role and the masses eat that up like it justifies being terrible at the things that matter. If Q can't talk himself into hitting shots who the f*ck is he to be mentoring Chandler. I want Houston to mentor chandler because even with rickety knees his shot was pure and his words actually mean something because he was able to will a team to the playoffs. Q-Rich, for all his leadership skills hasn't been able to lead this team since his arrival, what's that tell you? All it says to me is he finds resourceful ways to hide amongst useful players.

Have to disagree with you here, Q-rich is a good veteran who did have good ball skills with bad injuries. Like Rhodey said its his leadership and veteran knowledge he is imparting on Chandler. With all this being said about Q-Rich leading the past few years. No one has ever said he was the leader of the past few years teams. It was always Marbury and Crawford as the leaders. Since neither are playing for the Knicks now Q has stepped up and helping the younger players. Leadership has nothing to do about hitting shots or not. Look at most of the coaches in the league who are the leaders of their teams. Phil Jackson was never a good player he was a hustle player, Sloan was the same, and look at Van Gundy. What Q is doing is he is helping Chandler learn this offense, if Q saw something that Chandler did wrong, he is telling the younger player what is wrong and what he should have done basically trying to get him away from his bad habits.
Paeds
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#12 » by Paeds » Fri Dec 5, 2008 7:43 pm

haterade wrote:
BBALLER4FR wrote:Q ain't led $h!t since he's gotten here. Just like Malik, these 2 cats know they can't what they're paid millions to do (which is play ball) so they hide behind the "leadership" role and the masses eat that up like it justifies being terrible at the things that matter. If Q can't talk himself into hitting shots who the f*ck is he to be mentoring Chandler. I want Houston to mentor chandler because even with rickety knees his shot was pure and his words actually mean something because he was able to will a team to the playoffs. Q-Rich, for all his leadership skills hasn't been able to lead this team since his arrival, what's that tell you? All it says to me is he finds resourceful ways to hide amongst useful players.

Have to disagree with you here, Q-rich is a good veteran who did have good ball skills with bad injuries. Like Rhodey said its his leadership and veteran knowledge he is imparting on Chandler. With all this being said about Q-Rich leading the past few years. No one has ever said he was the leader of the past few years teams. It was always Marbury and Crawford as the leaders. Since neither are playing for the Knicks now Q has stepped up and helping the younger players. Leadership has nothing to do about hitting shots or not. Look at most of the coaches in the league who are the leaders of their teams. Phil Jackson was never a good player he was a hustle player, Sloan was the same, and look at Van Gundy. What Q is doing is he is helping Chandler learn this offense, if Q saw something that Chandler did wrong, he is telling the younger player what is wrong and what he should have done basically trying to get him away from his bad habits.

Good post

In Other words

Do as I say, Not as I do
BBALLER4FR
RealGM

Post#13 » by BBALLER4FR » Fri Dec 5, 2008 8:12 pm

haterade wrote:

So getting tossed from games because we are getting our @$$e$ handed to us and he can't guard his guy is leadership?
Publicly calling out a player who is not playing because management forced him out and by all account had a foot out the door because you have a personal grudge with him.....is leadership?
And what about his public spat with the coach last season? "Leadership"?
And what has his leadership yielded since he's been in NY? Wins? Nope. Camaraderie? Respectability?
And why does that "leadership" translate into PT if we agree that he sucks as a player?

Buttah304
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,239

Post#14 » by Luv those Knicks » Fri Dec 5, 2008 8:23 pm

I have no problem with Q "lecturing" - or talkign to Chandler. Chandler's been thrust into the starting lineup and he's practically a rookie.

David Lee praised Malik Rose for teaching him. Vets should teach young players, it doesn't matter if the young player has more potential than the guy teaching him.

all you guys critisizing Q for this are off the mark.
Go NY Go NY Go
BBALLER4FR
RealGM

Post#15 » by BBALLER4FR » Fri Dec 5, 2008 8:37 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:I have no problem with Q "lecturing" - or talkign to Chandler. Chandler's been thrust into the starting lineup and he's practically a rookie.

David Lee praised Malik Rose for teaching him. Vets should teach young players, it doesn't matter if the young player has more potential than the guy teaching him.

all you guys critisizing Q for this are off the mark.

It's pretty much just me criticizing him. It's because he's contributed little to nothing in NY but he gets a pass because he's past his shelf life and takes a leadership role even though often times it's a dysfunctional leadership. Why doesn't he tell D'Antoni he'd give up his starting spot so Chandler can flourish since leadership is all he can contribute? Let the youngster play SF along Duhon, Nate, Harrington and Lee/Jared? Take a reserve role. That's leadership! Q's spot in the starting rotation when there are others who should and could play before him is ONE of the reasons I have such a problem with him.

Buttah304
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,269

Post#16 » by gavran » Fri Dec 5, 2008 8:42 pm

BBALLER4FR wrote: Let the youngster play SF along Duhon, Nate, Harrington and Lee/Jared? Take a reserve role. That's leadership! Q's spot in the starting rotation when there are others who should and could play before him is ONE of the reasons I have such a problem with him.

Last time I checked Q started at SG, and D'Antoni considers Chandler a PF.
RutgersBJJ
General Manager
And1: 125

Post#17 » by RutgersBJJ » Fri Dec 5, 2008 9:50 pm

why is anyone surprised that Q is lecturing Chandler? What school did Chandler go to? Did Q perhaps go to that school as well? Could Q possibly have lead Isiah on to Chandler because Chandler went to his school?

Q may not be a good player, but he gives 100% every minute, and frankly, that is something Chandler doesn't do yet on both sides of the ball every possession. Chandler still has the young player mentality, he gets down on himself when he makes mistakes, and this was one of the first times he has gotten pulled because of performance issues. Q is right to lecture him, and Q can teach him what it means to be a professional, and it will make Chandler a better player for it.
RIP Jared Jeffries. Gone but never forgotten...2006-2012
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,239

Post#18 » by Luv those Knicks » Fri Dec 5, 2008 10:00 pm

BBALLER4FR wrote:
It's pretty much just me criticizing him. It's because he's contributed little to nothing in NY but he gets a pass because he's past his shelf life and takes a leadership role even though often times it's a dysfunctional leadership. Why doesn't he tell D'Antoni he'd give up his starting spot so Chandler can flourish since leadership is all he can contribute? Let the youngster play SF along Duhon, Nate, Harrington and Lee/Jared? Take a reserve role. That's leadership! Q's spot in the starting rotation when there are others who should and could play before him is ONE of the reasons I have such a problem with him.

I hear what you are saying.

but Q's not done, he's just not the player he once was. It's his job to do what's asked of him. If Dantoni wants to start him, I have no problem with Q starting.

And, lets look at teh game log before we blame Q for playing ahead of Chandler.

The Knicks, the way I see it, had 2 parts to their season so far. Before Trades and After Trades.

Before Trades - 11 games, 6-5 record. Q started SF every game. In only 3 of those 11 games, he got over 30 minutes. Q was playing less minutes than any othr starter

and Wilson started 7 of those games. That's 7 games with Q as our starting SF, Wilson as our starting PF. David Lee off the bench - cause lee could back up PF/C. For back up SF, NY would slide wilson down or play with 3 guards.

In those 11 games, Wilson got 30 plus minutes 5 times.

So, Wilson gets more minutes than Q - granted, it was close, but Wilson got more, and you critisize Q for not giving up his starting spot to Wilson?

I don't think you have a point.

Now, After Trade, it's much harder to review because we should ignore the first 2 games because Al and Timmy weren't suited up yet, and in the 3rd game after the trade, Nate pulls his groin in the 2nd quarter, so Q has to slide down to SG.

When Nate comes back, we'll see what happens to Q's minutes, and likewise, we'll see if Jeffries has an effect on Chandler's minutes.

But, even if you are right and Q gets more minutes than we think he should, I say that's a Dantoni issue, and not a Q issue.

I really don't see that you have a strong case to critisize Q because Chandler's playing 31 MPG and Q's playing 30 and Chandler's started every game since game 5.
Go NY Go NY Go
haterade
Sixth Man
And1: 90

Post#19 » by haterade » Fri Dec 5, 2008 11:04 pm

Starting spots are overrated, if we were Spurs fan should we complain that Manu doesn't start ahead of Finley who's done? Normally how I look at it is that you start not your best 5 players on the floor you start the 5 players who play together the best or run the offense the best. As long as Chandler gets his minutes there should be no reason why Q can't start. Like it has been said before this is like Chandler's rookie year, he is getting significant minutes and be it off the bench or starting the important thing is that he's getting minutes. Truthfully if we had Mobley playing I would rather have Chandler come off the bench and keep starting Q. Chandler can then start playing against the other team's second unit and not have to worry about having to be a big contributor from the get go.
Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,977

Post#20 » by Fury » Fri Dec 5, 2008 11:45 pm

Jeez, he wasn't like telling him he sucks or anything. Just letting him know how to get through **** during games, helping him out, and making him a better player in the future. Just because Q may not be the best player, doesn't mean he doesn't know how to be a professional, and that's what he's teaching Chandler. ****!

Return to New York Knicks