ImageImageImageImageImage

Update on Marbury buyout....

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant
And1: 839

Update on Marbury buyout.... 

Post#1 » by earthmansurfer » Fri Dec 5, 2008 7:32 pm

It will be nice to get a free roster spot and if Mobley is also out (Hope the best for him though) we have a spot for a guard and Ewing Jr.

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/blog/2008/12/marbury_situation_settled_next.html

From Hahn:

Marbury situation settled next week?

Critical update from a loyal Fixer and ESPN Radio announcer Jon Rothstein, who just called us with some news about the Marbury situation.

A person close to Stephon Marbury told him that Marbury expects the situation with the Knicks to be resolved within a week. Marbury took the $1 million giveback offer off the table to push the Knicks to get something done, but it is believed he will return to the table with Donnie Walsh and the Knicks, along with his union counsel, Hal Biagas, and resume negotiations to complete the buyout process.

Rothstein is also saying that Marbury intends to choose between the Miami Heat, Boston Celtics or Orlando Magic as his next destination. I will say here that Orlando sounds like a logical destination because Jameer Nelson has been somewhat disappointing this season and the Magic could use help in the back court.

To my knowledge, the Heat and Celtics aren't viable options. It is to my understanding that the Dallas Mavericks, who have moved Jason Terry to the bench and are starting Gerald Green, could also be in the mix.

Rothstein, who is a well-connected basketball junkie and does a great job covering college hoops for ESPN Radio, was just on with Mike Tirico and Scott van Pelt on 1050 and will be on the air again at 2:10 p.m. and will have a spot with Michael Kay.

Stay tuned . . .

EMS
mjhp911
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14

Re: Update on Marbury buyout.... 

Post#2 » by mjhp911 » Fri Dec 5, 2008 7:37 pm

Why all Eastern teams? Give him more money, and have him sign something saying he won't sign with an Eastern team. All those teams, the Celts, Heat, and Magic, will be making noise in the playoffs. It will make our brass look even more embarrassed if Marb has success in the Eastern playoffs. Have him go to either Dallas or San Antone instead.
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,563

Post#3 » by ctorres » Fri Dec 5, 2008 7:45 pm

The Magic will be one of the top teams in the East regardless if Marbury goes to them or not.

Just hope he doesn't sign in Miami because the Knicks are competing with the Heat for one of the last playoff seeds.
knicks742
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22

Post#4 » by knicks742 » Fri Dec 5, 2008 7:46 pm

mjhp911 wrote:Why all Eastern teams? Give him more money, and have him sign something saying he won't sign with an Eastern team. All those teams, the Celts, Heat, and Magic, will be making noise in the playoffs. It will make our brass look even more embarrassed if Marb has success in the Eastern playoffs. Have him go to either Dallas or San Antone instead.

It will be interesting how that works out. Miami has a rookie head coach so Riley is really taking a chance there. The Magic and the Celtics have 2 nonsense coaches that will bench him without hesitation if someone else is producing better or the team has better results with someone else playing guard. It will be interesting to see how long Crybury would keep his mouth shut at that point, especially since the whole point of him leaving the Knicks is so he gets playing time somewehre else.

Anywho, let's hope it gets resolved and everyone can move forward and we can continue our watch for the 2009 Draft.

:-?
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,097

Post#5 » by sol537 » Fri Dec 5, 2008 7:51 pm

let him rot at home. 1-2 million dollars is pocket change to Dolan.
mjhp911
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14

Post#6 » by mjhp911 » Fri Dec 5, 2008 7:51 pm

Anywho, let's hope it gets resolved and everyone can move forward and we can continue our watch for the 2009 Draft.

:-?

Mike 'Antoni: "Huh? We're making the playoffs, man! No more nekkid Lee for you..."
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#7 » by NoLayupRule » Fri Dec 5, 2008 7:58 pm

Imagine he signs with the celts and wins a ring?

Id vomit over and over and over again
JohnStarksTheDunk
General Manager
And1: 2,008

Post#8 » by JohnStarksTheDunk » Fri Dec 5, 2008 8:10 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:Imagine he signs with the celts and wins a ring?

Id vomit over and over and over again

+1000000

I don't like the idea of him ending up on any EC team, but the Celts would be far worse than any other team, especially because I'd be hearing about him daily here in Boston. Ugh.
knicks742
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22

Post#9 » by knicks742 » Fri Dec 5, 2008 8:17 pm

Do you guys think that Garnett would welcome him there? I dunno, seems a bit far fetched. Seems to me like dude in Dallas really wants him, there was an email he sent out that said that regardless if there are any guard signings that did not reflect on Barea's play. I think it's a prelude to signing crybury.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,247

Post#10 » by Luv those Knicks » Fri Dec 5, 2008 8:30 pm

knicks742 wrote:Do you guys think that Garnett would welcome him there? I dunno, seems a bit far fetched. Seems to me like dude in Dallas really wants him, there was an email he sent out that said that regardless if there are any guard signings that did not reflect on Barea's play. I think it's a prelude to signing crybury.

I think both Garnett and Marbury expressed regret at how they were separated. They were young, but a few years later, they both wanted to win. I don't think Garnett would have a problem with Marbury. I'm not sure he's that great a fit on the Celtics, but I think the Celts would take him.

and Marbs wining a championship wouldn't bother me. Paul Pierce winning a championship bothers me and Celtic fans wining one bothers me too. I hope the Lakers kick their buts this time.

and as far as dolan keeping him. It's not just the 2 million, it's also the roster spot and the media circus. At some point, NY is better off working out a buyout, unless we're trying to trade him, but that seems unlikely.

and we're tanking this year, so I don't really care if Marbs stays in the east. Doesn't bother me.
Go NY Go NY Go
Johnny Hoops
RealGM
And1: 2,212

Post#11 » by Johnny Hoops » Fri Dec 5, 2008 8:30 pm

mjhp911 wrote:Why all Eastern teams? Give him more money, and have him sign something saying he won't sign with an Eastern team. All those teams, the Celts, Heat, and Magic, will be making noise in the playoffs. It will make our brass look even more embarrassed if Marb has success in the Eastern playoffs. Have him go to either Dallas or San Antone instead.

I might venture to guess that Walsh used the ability to play for an Eastern Conference team as a bargaining chip.

Basically - I'll let you play where you want if you give back more $ type of deal.

Steph thinks he's getting something (closer to home, get back at the Knicks) and the Knicks save a few $M (double with luxury implications) and free themselves of this nightmare.

One word of caution --- this is only the 776th story I've seen that said Steph's situation would soon be resolved :D
xxrainnn
Lead Assistant
And1: 173

Post#12 » by xxrainnn » Fri Dec 5, 2008 8:36 pm

Hell no, do not let Steph win a ring...

Let dude rot at his crib... I wouldn't let him off the hook for nothing.
JMurder
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#13 » by JMurder » Fri Dec 5, 2008 8:42 pm

wow...a few scorned women in here I see

:)
JohnStarksTheDunk
General Manager
And1: 2,008

Post#14 » by JohnStarksTheDunk » Fri Dec 5, 2008 8:44 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:
knicks742 wrote:Do you guys think that Garnett would welcome him there? I dunno, seems a bit far fetched. Seems to me like dude in Dallas really wants him, there was an email he sent out that said that regardless if there are any guard signings that did not reflect on Barea's play. I think it's a prelude to signing crybury.

I think both Garnett and Marbury expressed regret at how they were separated. They were young, but a few years later, they both wanted to win. I don't think Garnett would have a problem with Marbury. I'm not sure he's that great a fit on the Celtics, but I think the Celts would take him.

and Marbs wining a championship wouldn't bother me. Paul Pierce winning a championship bothers me and Celtic fans wining one bothers me too. I hope the Lakers kick their buts this time.

and as far as dolan keeping him. It's not just the 2 million, it's also the roster spot and the media circus. At some point, NY is better off working out a buyout, unless we're trying to trade him, but that seems unlikely.

and we're tanking this year, so I don't really care if Marbs stays in the east. Doesn't bother me.

Well, I had to put up with living in Boston when they won last year, and it would be even worse to have Marbury praised for "turning himself around" (ala Corey Dillon and Randy Moss) and helping them win a title. Plus, the media would eat up the KG/Steph reunion garbage and it would be just as bad as all the sappy Bill Russell/KG stuff that they marketed last season.
RutgersBJJ
General Manager
And1: 125

Post#15 » by RutgersBJJ » Fri Dec 5, 2008 9:44 pm

if he goes to any of those teams besides the Celtics, they won't make the playoffs. I hope he doesn't go to the Magic, they are the team i watch on nights when the knicks aren't playing. He would kill that team. Turk is a much better point than Marbury, and all Marbury will do is make sure Dwight doesn't get any touches. Marbury will be busy driving to the lane drawing contact while not getting calls, while Dwight is sitting in the post ready to snuff him.

Seriously, him to the Heat would be great. It would mean we will definitely be getting the 8th seed. He could go to the Heat, he will start **** with Marion. He will also bump minutes for Chalmers who seems like a real point guard, and he will take the ball out of Wade's hands.
RIP Jared Jeffries. Gone but never forgotten...2006-2012
markdeez33
RealGM
And1: 2,192

Post#16 » by markdeez33 » Sat Dec 6, 2008 12:13 am

Send him to Dallas. I would actually enjoy watching that. I have no prob with Steph, I just want him out of NY - I'm somewhat of a Mavs fan - really more of a Mavs fan a few years ago, but a JKidd/Steph combo could be nice
knicksNOTslick
RealGM
And1: 4,633

Post#17 » by knicksNOTslick » Sat Dec 6, 2008 12:26 am

RutgersBJJ wrote:if he goes to any of those teams besides the Celtics, they won't make the playoffs. I hope he doesn't go to the Magic, they are the team i watch on nights when the knicks aren't playing. He would kill that team. Turk is a much better point than Marbury, and all Marbury will do is make sure Dwight doesn't get any touches. Marbury will be busy driving to the lane drawing contact while not getting calls, while Dwight is sitting in the post ready to snuff him.

Seriously, him to the Heat would be great. It would mean we will definitely be getting the 8th seed. He could go to the Heat, he will start **** with Marion. He will also bump minutes for Chalmers who seems like a real point guard, and he will take the ball out of Wade's hands.

I can tell you don't know what you're talking about. I want Orlando to sign him now so we can see that theory disproven.

Return to New York Knicks