ImageImageImageImageImage

Who's your choice to pick up to replace Mobley?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Who's your top choice to replace Mobley?

Poll ended at Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:36 am

Jannero Pargo
9%
Carlos Delfino
18%
Quincy Douby
7%
Sergio Rodriguez
67%

Total votes: 45

Bill Bradley
RealGM
And1: 2,407

Re: Who's your choice to pick up to replace Mobley? 

Post#21 » by Bill Bradley » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:19 am

Bill Bradley
RealGM

Post#22 » by Bill Bradley » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:24 am

RutgersBJJ
General Manager
And1: 125

Post#23 » by RutgersBJJ » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:40 am

say no to Pargo. Pargo is what happens when you are slightly better than Roberson, and even more selfish while playing on a team with the best pg in the game.

I could easily see Delfino coming over here, the economy of Russia has collapsed. I would like Sergio but I wouldn't want to make trades with Portland, Douby would probably be extremely easy to get.
RIP Jared Jeffries. Gone but never forgotten...2006-2012
Jesus Juice
Bench Warmer
And1: 475

Post#24 » by Jesus Juice » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:52 am

Ideally i would like the Italian from GS or the Sergio, but I wouldn't mind Douby.
the bizness
General Manager
And1: 0

Post#25 » by the bizness » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:54 am

the bizness
General Manager

Post#26 » by the bizness » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:14 am

by the way if we get douby, we need to also get 7-5 defensive center jaber rouzbahafalafel so we can become team monobrow

indoubytably
BLACKFEET
Junior
And1: 4

Post#27 » by BLACKFEET » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:20 am

mardy collins.
stupid right?
could play alongside any of our guards.
pro'lly never happen though.
Jesus Juice
Bench Warmer
And1: 475

Post#28 » by Jesus Juice » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:06 pm

^
I was thinking that we could have used mardy now as well...
unclebear
Bench Warmer
And1: 4

Post#29 » by unclebear » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:20 pm

we should have picked someone up yesterday so they could train with the team, im thinking dantoni dont want to bring in anymore players, if dantoni wanted another pg it would have happened already, mike made his adjustments when taking out duhon and making jeff the ball handeler .
King Jaffy Jo
Rookie
And1: 11

Post#30 » by King Jaffy Jo » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:32 pm

man sean williams wants out!! we could capitalize on this! i know we need a guard first and foremost but just saying.... sean williams would be nice
Johnny Hoops
RealGM
And1: 2,212

Post#31 » by Johnny Hoops » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:04 pm

Delfino is the best player for this Knicks team.

We already have a back-up point in Nate that fits very nicely in our system.

Shifting Nate to a 2-guard position and bringing in another smaller point (pargo or sergio) would only make us smaller then we already are.

Delfino is a big guard, he's athletic, he defends, passes and can shoot the ball long range. He's a veteran..he understands how Mike's system works and he would flourish in it.

We need a real 2-guard -- one that plays both ways.

We are set at the point for now with Duhon and Nate.

Delfino would make our starting unit very solid and really give us a solid 10 man squad.

That's a playoff team with this system...because our D is significantly improved.

Both points can play D, both 2 guards can play D and our SFs can defend == PF and C we are weak but Jefferies helps on D. Offense - no real worries other than inside scoring but our system seems to get us points in the paint off pick and roll and dribble drives or mismatch post-ups.

Duhon
Delfino
Q
Al
Lee

Nate
Wilson
Jared
TT

Ewing Jr
DrSithMirth
Head Coach
Location: The Black Lodge. Raise up off me, lest you find yourself with us. Under the sycamore trees..

Post#32 » by DrSithMirth » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:02 pm

^ Johnny Hoops, you make a lot of sense.

In the meantime, I had changed my mind anyway with my ranking. I'm moving Delfino into a tie with Rodriguez. I had moved Delfino to 2nd, but the reasons Hoops mention are compelling. So what's the tiebreaker, imo?

Who is going to be easier to acquire. My bet is that Delfino will be easier to pick up because Rodriguez is playing well enough for the Blazers in limited minutes that they would ask for more than I think the Knicks should give up. Hahn's Blog mentions that Delfino has an out in his Russian team contract. My bet is that he'll be easier to pick up, and he might be just as familiar with a D'Antoni-style offense as Rodriquez. And then he plays D, he's strong, he can hit the outside shot; yeah, I'd be excited about him as well.

That wouldn't be a bad lineup at all going forward. We'll have to see.

(As long as Pargo isn't brought on, I'm cool. I do not like that dude.)
Cheers, Dr. SithMirth
Johnny Hoops
RealGM
And1: 2,212

Post#33 » by Johnny Hoops » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:57 pm

DrSithMirth wrote:^ Johnny Hoops, you make a lot of sense.

In the meantime, I had changed my mind anyway with my ranking. I'm moving Delfino into a tie with Rodriguez. I had moved Delfino to 2nd, but the reasons Hoops mention are compelling. So what's the tiebreaker, imo?

Who is going to be easier to acquire. My bet is that Delfino will be easier to pick up because Rodriguez is playing well enough for the Blazers in limited minutes that they would ask for more than I think the Knicks should give up. Hahn's Blog mentions that Delfino has an out in his Russian team contract. My bet is that he'll be easier to pick up, and he might be just as familiar with a D'Antoni-style offense as Rodriquez. And then he plays D, he's strong, he can hit the outside shot; yeah, I'd be excited about him as well.

That wouldn't be a bad lineup at all going forward. We'll have to see.

(As long as Pargo isn't brought on, I'm cool. I do not like that dude.)

Fly in the ointment with Delfino is that Raptor's still own his NBA rights and we'd have to deal with them if we wanted to bring him here. They probably wouldn't like that.

They are looking for wing scoring right now and I think Delfino would qualify as a wing scorer. That said - if Toronto moves on another wing player maybe the Knicks could jump in on the deal and throw Toronto and trade exemption and a 2nd round pick for rights to Delfino.

Too complicated for me to figure out.

After Delfino I'd look at Bellinelli and Almond before a point guard. We are set at point.

Maybe a veteran would be a better move but Bellinelli and Almond in this system would both probably prosper.

Delfino would be great because he's a legit NBA player who will play both ways. At least in my mind.
thefuriousfive
Rookie

Post#34 » by thefuriousfive » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:00 pm

Donnie Walsh is showing patience on some kinda titanic level. I don't see this being resolved anytime soon. With Nate back, it'll be a 8 man rotation till the trade deadline.
BBALLER4FR
RealGM
And1: 8,176

Post#35 » by BBALLER4FR » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:03 pm

As I've stated in another thread...

Pure Genius wrote:Give me Delfino, buyout Marbury and get Ewing Jr.

Duhon/Nate
Q/Delfino
Chandler/Ew. Jr
Harrington/TT
Lee/Jefferies

With Duhon, Nate and *gulp* Roberson able to play PG for the most part the 2 thru 5 become interchangeable:

Q (2 and 3)
Delfino (2 and 3)
Chandler (2 thru 4)
Ew. Jr (3 and 4)
Harrington (2 thru 5 :o Yup! In D'Antoni's system he could play them all!)
TT (3 thru 5)
Lee (4 and 5)
Jefferies (2 thru 5)

Now that's versatility.
Those last 70 seconds, Randle in a nut shell.

Awful 2 for 1 3PT attempt when we are up 2
Doesn’t close out on Sabonis --> open 3
Takes another side step off balance 3

We got sucked into the Randle vortex where all good feelings go to die.

Buttah304
Bill Bradley
RealGM

Post#36 » by Bill Bradley » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:28 pm

Hollinger's PER Diem: Nov. 7, 2008
Hollinger

By John Hollinger
ESPN.com
(Archive)

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Sergio Rodriguez's agent has requested a trade from the Blazers, according to the Spanish Web site Marca.com, and I can't really say that I blame him.

I suspect that when I go to the Blazers' practice later today everyone will say this was all a misunderstanding and that it's all fine ... but it doesn't exactly take a rocket scientist to figure out that Rodriguez is a poor fit with the Blazers' playing style.

The money quote from his agent, Javier Ortiz, is (translated from Spanish), "What he can never be is a half-court point guard."

Indeed. Rodriguez is an up-tempo guard in one of the league's most down-tempo systems, and as a result often looks like a thoroughbred that's been pressed into service as a Clydesdale.

Though often viewed from the outside as a young, exciting team with the implication that they play an up-tempo style, the truth is that the Blazers are a very young squad that plays like a very old one. All its best players are jump shooters, and they count on the ability of the secondary players to space the floor and create enough room for Brandon Roy, LaMarcus Aldridge and (it's hoped) Greg Oden to operate.

And they almost never run -- Portland is again among the league's slowest-paced teams and scored just four fast-break points last night.

Then there's Sergio. He's not a shooter or a floor spacer; he's a dynamic creator who thrives on chaos and disorder, and there's a certain level of mistake-proneness a coach has to tolerate that goes hand-in-hand with that style. One sees flashes of how effective he can be with a looser leash when he's on the court with fellow Spaniard Rudy Fernandez; in fact their obvious on-court bond might ultimately be what saves his tenure in Portland.

Regardless, don't sleep on this guy. His remarkable assist rates in Portland -- even playing 9.4 minutes a game, he's third on the team -- are suggestive of a player who can be an impact floor general in an up-tempo system. Just not in this one.
Bill Bradley
RealGM

Post#37 » by Bill Bradley » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:36 pm

I'm sorry but we are not set at the point. Sergio in the D'Antoni system would be dangerous- he would be the closest thing to a Nash equivalent we could find. I like Nate and he has improved at the point but let's face it, he is a scorer first and will never be a pass-first PG. We need a legitimate backup PG who can give Duhon rest and could fill in for him when needed. Yes we need shooters too and I wouldn't mind Delfino but I think we would get a lot more value from Sergio. I see Sergio as a possible starter down the road and his value will definitely go up with D'Antoni. So he would be a great long-term piece IMO.
the bizness
General Manager

Post#38 » by the bizness » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:51 pm

to project what kind of player he would be if he was a starter, his per-36 numbers are 9.8 points 9.2 assists 3.5 rebounds and 1.7 steals while chipping in 1.4 threes. those are pretty consistent with his 2007 per-40 (obviously they will be a little higher due to it being per-40 instead of 36) numbers of 11.5 points 10.1 assists 4.2 rebounds 1.6 steals and 1.1 threes. those numbers paint a picture of a pass-first pg that would get a pretty high number of assists.

you have to wonder what they'd want for him though. the thing is that we'd probably have to give something up for delfino as well. if the price was the same, sergio is the guy we should target.
DrSithMirth
Head Coach
Location: The Black Lodge. Raise up off me, lest you find yourself with us. Under the sycamore trees..

Post#39 » by DrSithMirth » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:52 pm

thefuriousfive wrote:Donnie Walsh is showing patience on some kinda titanic level. I don't see this being resolved anytime soon. With Nate back, it'll be a 8 man rotation till the trade deadline.

That's a good thing, too. There's no need for him to make some kind of panic move. I'm glad that he does his due diligence before acting.

I mean, we can talk and scream all we want to; it's not our job to make the decisions. Let him take his time. The team will definitely be better off for it.
Cheers, Dr. SithMirth
Bill Bradley
RealGM

Post#40 » by Bill Bradley » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:56 pm

the bizness wrote:to project what kind of player he would be if he was a starter, his per-36 numbers are 9.8 points 9.2 assists 3.5 rebounds and 1.7 steals while chipping in 1.4 threes. those are pretty consistent with his 2007 per-40 (obviously they will be a little higher due to it being per-40 instead of 36) numbers of 11.5 points 10.1 assists 4.2 rebounds 1.6 steals and 1.1 threes. those numbers paint a picture of a pass-first pg that would get a pretty high number of assists.

you have to wonder what they'd want for him though. the thing is that we'd probably have to give something up for delfino as well. if the price was the same, sergio is the guy we should target.

His numbers under D'Antoni would be much better because we play a system that suits his game perfectly. He would be an assist machine on the Knicks.

But yeah, I don't know what they'd want for him. If he really is asking for a trade and if Portland wants Bayless to get some PT, maybe they would bit on a low-ball offer. I don't know. I can't really think of a trade that works for both teams other than the TE and a second round draft pick or two?

Return to New York Knicks