ImageImageImageImageImage

Hypothetical: Would we be champs in '99

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Knicksman780
Lead Assistant
And1: 899

Hypothetical: Would we be champs in '99 

Post#1 » by Knicksman780 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:10 pm

if we were coached by D'Antoni instead of JVG (assuming that D'antoni was the same coach back then that he is now)? The team that we had seemed better suited for D'Antoni's system, don't you think? JVG was too defensive minded for them, but they finally got into the groove in the playoffs when he let them loose a little, remember? Would have it been enough to get past the Spurs? Or would have we lost in the first round to the defensive minded Heat?

Imagine Ward, Spree, Houston, LJ and Camby on D'Antoni's team?

Discuss here...
emo
RealGM
And1: 4,732

Re: Hypothetical: Would we be champs in '99 

Post#2 » by emo » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:14 pm

Guano wrote:Will be interesting to see how this place transitions from killing Melo to turning on KP. I'm hoping Frank shows out so we can divide into Frank vs KP factions. That should be fun.
LaCosaNostra
Analyst
And1: 12

Post#3 » by LaCosaNostra » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:20 pm

I'll stick with JVG coaching that team.

You seem to be forgetting Ewing ran with that team for about two rounds. There's also LJ and Dudley who were key contributors, but not the most uptempo players around.

I think we reached that finals because of JVG and his coaching, not in spite of it.
Rockice_8
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#4 » by Rockice_8 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:23 pm

JVG is an excellent coach don't take that away from him.
JD1121
Freshman

Post#5 » by JD1121 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:32 pm

LaCosaNostra wrote:I'll stick with JVG coaching that team.

You seem to be forgetting Ewing ran with that team for about two rounds. There's also LJ and Dudley who were key contributors, but not the most uptempo players around.

I think we reached that finals because of JVG and his coaching, not in spite of it.

i cant get over the fact that you called chris dudley a contributor.
kosmovitelli
RealGM
And1: 429

Post#6 » by kosmovitelli » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:41 pm

In the ECF against the Pacers, Ewing injured his knees in game 2 and was done for the rest of the playoffs, Larry Johnson went down with an injury during game 6. LJ missed the first two games of the NBA Finals and returned for game 3 when we were already 0-2.

We would have been champs with Ewing and LJ at 100%.
next2spike
Veteran
And1: 34

Post#7 » by next2spike » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:42 pm

haha..when dudley would enter the game, my pops would yell fcukly dudley! i thought it was the funniest thing.
man I miss those 90s. too bad I was too young to get into the game like I am now. On MSG, they do that is a biography on Knicks players (I forget the name.) and they did Patrick Ewing, my dads favorite player. Me and him were talking about Ewing during the show, but when his finger-roll miss vs. the Pacers came on, it turned quiet, and I looked at my pops, and he started to cry. I'll miss those days.
...to the thread, no, JVG was a great coach for that team.
tomgugliottamvp
Banned User

Post#8 » by tomgugliottamvp » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:42 pm

emo wrote:Image

lol
Smoke24
RealGM
And1: 11

Post#9 » by Smoke24 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:41 am

Since we're being hypothetical, we could have won the finals if Sean Elliott would have steped on the out of bounds line or Portland decided to play better D on that play. (WCF)
ElMatatan
General Manager
And1: 487

Post#10 » by ElMatatan » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:52 am

Under D'Antoni, Cris Childs would've been getting traveling call behind the back court....

am I the only that remenbers that when Childs used to get excited he used to do some hop step and get called for traveling, image him even more loose.....that would be a nightmare for turnovers....and that would be the key....under D'Antoni the 99 team would've been a walking turnover....
NY State of Mind
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 15,885

Post#11 » by stuporman » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:08 pm

The Knicks would have won the title in 99 and possibly another if Knicks management had decided to sign the big time FA SG who wanted to come play for the Knicks instead of getting cutesy by signing a relatively unproven young player and save a few bucks.

Two points if you can name the FA not signed and the FA that was signed.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,222

Post#12 » by Luv those Knicks » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:16 pm

I don't really see how Dantoni makes that team significantly better than VanGundy.

Dantoni is, I think, better with rosters and he might have tried to orchestrate a trade or two.

Camby
LJ
Spree
Houston
Childs

I don't see Dantoni being able to turn that team into a team that beats a very good and very big Spurs team. Our team today has a hard time against size. We do better against smaller teams.

One primary difference between Dantoni and vanGundy is that Dantoni would have moved away from the Feed Ewing approach, something Van Gundy never did.

Also, part of what worked with that Knicks team was the borderline Zone Defense that Van Gundy stressed. That kind of play helped the Knicks on defense. When the rules were changed it hurt van GUndy's coaching style. In 99, Van Gundy was a very good coach for his defense. 2 years later, one of his favorite tricks was no longer usefl.

Bottom line - No. I don't think so. Dantoni wouldn't have worked miracles and beaten the Spurs.

and, I think if Ewing and LJ were healthy, we would still be a longshot to beat the spurs, but we might have pushed it to 6 games.
Go NY Go NY Go
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,416

Post#13 » by Capn'O » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:22 pm

stuporman wrote:The Knicks would have won the title in 99 and possibly another if Knicks management had decided to sign the big time FA SG who wanted to come play for the Knicks instead of getting cutesy by signing a relatively unproven young player and save a few bucks.

Two points if you can name the FA not signed and the FA that was signed.

Childs v. MJ?
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:

Return to New York Knicks