ImageImageImageImageImage

Denver offered Atkins + 2 First Round Picks for Lee?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

foilfence
Junior
And1: 47

Denver offered Atkins + 2 First Round Picks for Lee? 

Post#1 » by foilfence » Sat Jan 3, 2009 9:15 am

From today's espn weekend time.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-090103-04

The Nuggets, sources said, did not have enough to get Lee after withdrawing Kleiza and offering a package built around guard Chucky Atkins (who makes $3.2 million this season and $3.5 million next season) and two first-round picks.

Hmmm... interesting. No way they'd take Jeffries back since they are shedding salary.

I'm not sure what to make of this deal.
TheBluest
Banned User
And1: 8
Location: Lottery Bound...Banned From UK 2-11-09 @ 12:30 am by Martin LOL!

Re: Denver offered Atkins + 2 First Round Picks for Lee? 

Post#2 » by TheBluest » Sat Jan 3, 2009 9:18 am

foilfence wrote:From today's espn weekend time.

The Nuggets, sources said, did not have enough to get Lee after withdrawing Kleiza and offering a package built around guard Chucky Atkins (who makes $3.2 million this season and $3.5 million next season) and two first-round picks.

Hmmm... interesting. No way they'd take Jeffries back since they are shedding salary.

This is the exact deal you pull the trigger on. WTH!

If this is true I WOW!
Smoke24
RealGM
And1: 11

Post#3 » by Smoke24 » Sat Jan 3, 2009 9:21 am

:lol:

Chucky atkins still exists?

But seriously though, If this deal were, you know, taken, then I would hope denver loses every game from now til the end of the season. Or we can take one of the picks and our own and move up in the draft if we were to pick low.

We'll see what happens. Only if this rumor is true of course. :)
earthmansurfer
Lead Assistant
And1: 839

Post#4 » by earthmansurfer » Sat Jan 3, 2009 9:22 am

TheBluest wrote:

If this is true I WOW!

Do you know where Denver stands? They are in first place, so those 2 first round picks will probably be late teens. Do you really think that that is something you jump at? We need to get some kind of talent back for Lee. If he keeps this play up we will get BETTER OFFERS.
BasicBall
RealGM
And1: 448

Post#5 » by BasicBall » Sat Jan 3, 2009 9:23 am

TheBluest wrote:

If this is true I WOW!

Nah...there might be guys available after Jan 7th.....CJ Watson, Lindsey Hunter they might be released....Why not hold onto David as long as possible, IF that deal is there now, it will be there at the end the month too!
Don't raise your voice, improve your argument :nod:
livintoolive
Head Coach
And1: 173

Post#6 » by livintoolive » Sat Jan 3, 2009 9:59 am

Optimus,that deal IS enticing. I completely agree. But Basicball has a great point:

1) Lee's productivity will NOT decline.
2) Lee's defensive ineptitude has been adequately understood by GMs around the league; if they are scouting him for a trade, they know him better than we do).
3) Lee's productivity becomes MORE important to teams as the season goes on: a team like Denver will want him more as the season goes on because he has more of an impact later in the season. He is huge for a team at the amrgin, especially as less of the season is left.

If a deal like this is available now, it will also be available at the deadline. You hold on to Lee but I will be angry if he's not gone at the deadline. Of course if Walsh determines that he can S&T him away, that's a whole different story.
R-DAWG wrote:i'd rather have the pick to package with Amare's contract next offseason, but hey, I'm just an MBA student at NYU what do I know about business.
KnicksManiac
RealGM
And1: 952

Post#7 » by KnicksManiac » Sat Jan 3, 2009 10:12 am

Lee
Jeffries

FOR

Atkins (expires next year)
Hunter (expires next year)
One first round pick
drj
Analyst
And1: 71

Post#8 » by drj » Sat Jan 3, 2009 11:58 am

If that rumor is true I would consider it a fair deal, but not a great one. We'd probably be looking at two late first rounders, in the early to mid 20s. You can't expect more than a role player at that draft position. Plus we wouldn't help clear any salary for 2010.

I think (or at least I hope) that we can get more for Lee. I think we can get a high draft pick in the 5-10 range, or move either Curry or Jeffries. Either way is worth more than two late firsts.
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,429

Post#9 » by duetta » Sat Jan 3, 2009 12:31 pm

You make that kind of deal, you set yourself up for the mother of all Knick fan gripes next season: a team that is giving away a top 6 pick to Utah for the prick who keeps on taking, Marbury.
FutureKnicksGM
Head Coach
And1: 1,505

Post#10 » by FutureKnicksGM » Sat Jan 3, 2009 1:01 pm

earthmansurfer wrote:Do you know where Denver stands? They are in first place, so those 2 first round picks will probably be late teens. Do you really think that that is something you jump at? We need to get some kind of talent back for Lee. If he keeps this play up we will get BETTER OFFERS.

Do you know that DEN has CHA's first this year. I'm sure this may have been one of the picks offered.

BasicBall wrote:Nah...there might be guys available after Jan 7th.....CJ Watson, Lindsey Hunter they might be released....Why not hold onto David as long as possible, IF that deal is there now, it will be there at the end the month too!

You make a good point, the deal should be still available.
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,155

Post#11 » by KnicksGadfly » Sat Jan 3, 2009 1:01 pm

Denver can't be the only one interested in Lee..
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,097

Post#12 » by sol537 » Sat Jan 3, 2009 1:53 pm

KnicksManiac wrote:Lee
Jeffries

FOR

Atkins (expires next year)
Hunter (expires next year)
One first round pick

that was the deal I was thinking about as well. Then we can turn around and try to move Curry for a 1-year shorter deal and a pick and we'll be able to sign 2-3 studs in '10. You gotta think Denver is in a win now mode and would prefer a true 3-man big rotation with Lee in the mix to complement Carmelo and Billups. Jeffries could give them 20 minutes off the bench.
darkjedi4z
Sixth Man
And1: 47

Post#13 » by darkjedi4z » Sat Jan 3, 2009 2:20 pm

Last I heard, Denver's been doing really good since the Billups trade..... I'd say we can shop Lee for a better offer, and definitely a worser team for their 1st round and some role players...
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 28

Post#14 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Sat Jan 3, 2009 2:28 pm

According to Hoopshype Mock Draft (powered by Draft Express), Denver only has one pick next season (currently 23). There is no indication that they own the Charlotte pick. If they do, there is probably protection on the pick.

http://hoopshype.com/draft.htm

2 first round picks is a lot to rent David Lee. makes no sense. Denver is close to lux tax - remember that they traded Camby for nothing to avoid it. So it is unreal to suppose they will re-sign lee for the $$ that he wants. Teams dont trade 2 first rounders to rent a player.
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
- -- Chinese proverb
Boss_
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 233

Post#15 » by Boss_ » Sat Jan 3, 2009 3:17 pm

Who do we play at pf/c if we lose lee?

Jerome James?
Knicksfan1
Veteran
And1: 12

Post#16 » by Knicksfan1 » Sat Jan 3, 2009 3:24 pm

The Boss of Bosses wrote:Who do we play at pf/c if we lose lee?

Jerome James?

Eddy Curry and Gallo :D
Roscoe Sheed wrote:Also, everybody complains about KG setting moving screens, but Duncan is just as bad
StutterStep
RealGM
And1: 58

Post#17 » by StutterStep » Sat Jan 3, 2009 3:44 pm

Sounds like speculation on Stein's part. As others have pointed out 2 picks? Not stating which years! And Denver's aversion to the Lux Tax! Why rent a player that clearly does not make them better than SAS, LAL, NOH?

Also, Stein's writing and guess-work is beyond shoddy -- maybe he's still recovering from a New Year's hangover.
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,097

Post#18 » by sol537 » Sat Jan 3, 2009 3:55 pm

Stein is pretty well-informed historically. I'm sure there's some truth to the trade talks between Denver and NY based around Lee with names like Kleiza and Atkins thrown into the mix.
StutterStep
RealGM
And1: 58

Post#19 » by StutterStep » Sat Jan 3, 2009 3:58 pm

sol537 wrote:Stein is pretty well-informed historically. I'm sure there's some truth to the trade talks between Denver and NY based around Lee with names like Kleiza and Atkins thrown into the mix.

Stein might get some rumors here/there just like Bucher, but I can't take Stein seriously after Greg Anthony OWNED him on a debate 2 seasons ago. Stein was arguing that Odom was a "true" PF with a low-post game. GA clowned him for the entire season. Credibility meet Open Window!
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#20 » by magnumt » Sat Jan 3, 2009 4:02 pm

livintoolive wrote:Optimus,that deal IS enticing. I completely agree. But Basicball has a great point:

1) Lee's productivity will NOT decline.
2) Lee's defensive ineptitude has been adequately understood by GMs around the league; if they are scouting him for a trade, they know him better than we do).
3) Lee's productivity becomes MORE important to teams as the season goes on: a team like Denver will want him more as the season goes on because he has more of an impact later in the season. He is huge for a team at the amrgin, especially as less of the season is left.

If a deal like this is available now, it will also be available at the deadline. You hold on to Lee but I will be angry if he's not gone at the deadline. Of course if Walsh determines that he can S&T him away, that's a whole different story.

This is so true. You learn early on is the Business world that you don't take every first offer that comes across your desk. A good recent example would the Timberwolves, they waited for awhile before they got a great offer for KG (only to foul it up later with the Mayo trade). A good example of jumping too early is Isiah Thomas, every one of his Trades were quick, and not good business type moves, and not maximizing value while thinking within Team needs for the short and long-term.

The Nuggets ALWAYS try and screw the Knicks (this goes back to their Kiki Vanderweigh years as GM), meanwhile other Teams screw them all the time. Lee can command A LOT of value.

You guys forget just this Off-Season alone he could've nabbed us a high lotto pick+other stuff. Just a month ago the Bobcats were desperate to get him. Give it time fellas, the guys has played better now, than he has all last Year. His scoring AND rebounding is up, and he's added a mid-range jumper to his game (like Camby did).

Denver DOWNGRADED the offer by removing Kleiza and adding Atkins, plus who knows what were the conditions of the picks, and where they were going to be (in both Years and spot). At the very LEAST they should've packaged the two 1sts and Kleiza (especially since Kleiza has regressed a little this Year, wheras Lee has improved tremendously).

I think some good Teams to trade Lee to are:

Miami
Charlotte
Dallas
Lakers
Timberwolves (they'd be ecstatic to have a future frontcourt of Love and Lee, and they have a lot of picks too)
Hornets (I bet they'd love to pair Lee with Chandler)
Houston (they don't have a lot to offer, but things could get done where we dump salary)
Spurs (see Houston)
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6

Return to New York Knicks