ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Phillies JC Romero Suspended 50 games

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,169

OT: Phillies JC Romero Suspended 50 games 

Post#1 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Jan 6, 2009 5:31 am

.. for steroid use. He used an over the counter supplement from GNC. Romero got screwed by the baseball arbitrator big time. Even though I'm a big Mets fan, I feel for the guy.

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_up ... e_ban.html

Phils’ Romero facing 50-game ban

By Phil Sheridan
INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

An anguished J.C. Romero wanted to tell his side of the story before Major League Baseball announces his 50-game suspension on Tuesday. Once that happens, he knows, people will assume he's just another big-leaguer who had to cheat to compete.

"One thing I'm going to say, I'm a man and I'm accountable for my actions," the Phillies reliever said in a telephone interview. "If I'm guilty of something, you know what? I will face it. But I'm not guilty, and I'm not letting people that don't really know me judge me over something and accuse me of something that I didn't do."

Romero's situation is much more complicated than MLB's curt boilerplate announcement will acknowledge. He was not accused or found guilty of knowingly using a banned, performance-enhancing substance. Baseball and Romero agree that he used only an over-the-counter supplement he bought in a retail store in Cherry Hill. Romero is being suspended for 50 games and losing about $1.25 million in salary because, an abritrator ruled, he was "negligent" in not knowing what was in the supplement.

Most players, when suspended, release a statement acknowledging their mistake and apologizing to their teammates, their organization, baseball and the fans. In the current highly charged environment, where MLB has been embarrassed by Congress for its years-long failure to police itself, many players fear repercussions if they speak out.

Not Romero, the 33-year-old lefthanded reliever who won two World Series games for the Phillies - including the decision in the title-clinching Game 5. He feels he owes it to himself, his family and his teammates to explain how this suspension came about.

"If people are intimidated because Major League [Baseball] is a big organization, so be it," Romero said. "But they are not going to make an example of me thinking that I'm just a [dumb] Puerto Rican. It's not going to happen. It's not the way I'm built.

"For me to keep my mouth shut? That's not the right thing to do. If they want to bump me out of the game, so be it. What am I going to do, just sit back and take it? When I know in my heart I'm innocent? That doesn't fly well with me and it doesn't fly well in my house, either."

Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. declined to comment on Romero tonight. A spokesman for Major League Baseball also would not comment.

A new supplement

Romero said he went to the store to look for a supplement in July, the time of year he typically starts weight training again. He went to the shelf where his usual supplement was stocked and noticed a new product, 6-OXO Extreme, next to it. Because the familiar supplement required him to take eight large pills a day, he was intrigued by the other product.
The Major League Baseball Players Association has told players that supplements purchased in U.S. retails stores should be safe and within the guidelines of baseball's drug-testing program. The union acknowledged giving that advice in a letter it sent out to players and their advisers in November. That letter, which arrived too late to help Romero, informed players that three over-the-counter supplements were found to create positive tests under baseball's drug program.

In July, Romero showed the new supplement to Phillies strength coach Dong Lien, who recommended that Romero get a second opinion before using it. Romero then showed it to his personal nutritionist, "the guy I've been working with since I've been in major-league baseball," Romero said.

That nutritionist checked the product's label and saw nothing on MLB's banned list. Romero began taking the supplement at that point.

Meanwhile, according to the arbitrator's report, Lien sent a sample of the supplement to MLB for testing. The tests showed the supplement contained a substance that could result in a positive drug test. A copy of those results was sent to commissioner Bud Selig's office in July.

Considering it was the first time a banned substance was found in an FDA-regulated, over-the-counter supplement - one available to every major-leaguer and millions of youths - that should have sounded alarms. But no one from MLB, the players' association or the Phillies told Romero that there was a problem with the supplement.

So where was the negligence? With Romero? With Lien? With MLB? With a union that told Romero and other Latin players they could trust products in U.S. stores such as Vitamin Shoppe (where Romero purchased the supplement) or GNC?

On Aug. 26, Romero gave a urine sample for a routine random drug test. On Sept. 19, during a road trip to Miami, he submitted another sample for a random test. It was not until four days later - after being tested randomly a second time - that Romero was told the Aug. 26 sample tested positive for a banned substance. He said he immediately stopped using the supplement.

According to sources close to Romero, baseball then offered the pitcher a deal. He could accept a 25-game suspension, beginning immediately, or face a longer suspension in 2009 after going through an arbitration process. Romero declined the deal for three reasons.

First, he believed accepting the suspension meant acknowledging wrongdoing. Second, he was hearing from players' association attorneys that the circumstances made it seem likely that he would win at arbitration. Third, the suspension would have prevented Romero from playing in the postseason.

"It wasn't a tough decision to make at all," Romero said. "I knew I wasn't going to accept that. Me accepting a 25-game suspension meant I was guilty of something. I knew in my heart I wasn't guilty."

Arbitration during Series

Incredibly, MLB scheduled his two-day arbitration hearing in Tampa, Fla., before the first two games of the World Series. So Romero had to go to the hearing in the morning and then report to Tropicana Field to prepare for the biggest games of his life. Somehow, he managed to pitch very well in four World Series appearances, earning the wins in Games 2 and 5.

"Only God can do something like that," Romero said. "My faith. I knew in my heart I was innocent. It was my dream to be in the World Series. So I kind of separated the two of them. Early in the morning before I got to the field was a nightmare, but once I got to the field I was all about baseball."

Romero got the impression from players association lawyers that the hearings went very well for him and that he would likely get off with a warning. Clearly, he had taken a supplement he believed was OK and MLB seemed to grasp that.

"They knew the intention wasn't there, " Romero said. "They knew I wasn't taking steroids. They continued to pursue the fact that they thought it was negligence to not send my supplements in and going with my nutritionist, the guy I've been working with since I've been in major-league baseball. They made a big issue of that."

Romero became caught up in two separate subplots beyond his control or understanding. Baseball, because of its embarrassing mishandling of the steroid issue in the 1990s, is under pressure to catch cheaters and create the impression it has improved its policing techniques. At the same time, the FDA has had enormous enforcement issues with federal laws regarding the ingredients in over-the-counter supplements.

Here is where Patrick Arnold comes in. The man who first brought androstenedione to the U.S. marketplace and was the chemist behind development of THG - the designer steroid distributed by Balco - also runs a major supplement business called ErgoPharm. Arnold created and marketed the supplement Romero was using.

In an e-mail exchange, Arnold said there was nothing in his supplement that should have created a positive drug test.

"We have funded two independent clinical studies (one done at Baylor University) that have been peer reviewed," Arnold wrote. "These studies demonstrated the efficacy and safety of the product. We also have funded studies that have demonstrated the compound's compliance with FDA regulation. Furthermore, we funded another study at [University of Illinois] in Chicago using classical protocols that demonstrated that 6-OXO is absolutely not an anabolic steroid."

Andro, which first drew notice as when it was spotted in Mark McGwire's locker, can generate positive test results because of metabolites similar to those created by use of the steroid Nandralone. Arnold said that should not happen with his supplement. It is not clear what baseball or the players' union found in their testing of the supplement.

What is clear is that Romero is being suspended, not for shooting steroids into his backside like the players whom baseball chose to ignore for a generation. He is being suspended for not knowing the chemical composition of a very sophisticated over-the-counter supplement he bought in a mall in Cherry Hill.

It looks as if MLB, the players' union and the Phillies' staff were at least as negligent as Romero, but none of them are being punished.

"Having people who don't know me criticize me, it's kind of sad," Romero said. "I've been exhausted for the last 21/2 months. I'm drained right now."

Either baseball believes Romero cheated and allowed him to compete in the World Series, or it believes he made an innocent mistake and is suspending him 50 games anyway.

Which would be worse?
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
krustytheclown
Lead Assistant
And1: 8

Re: OT: Phillies JC Romero Suspended 50 games 

Post#2 » by krustytheclown » Tue Jan 6, 2009 5:37 am

hahahhahahhahahahhahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: **** him
livintoolive
Head Coach
And1: 173

Post#3 » by livintoolive » Tue Jan 6, 2009 5:44 am

wow. Disgusting handling of the situation by the MLB.

and..

WHY THE HELL ISN'T THERE ALREADY AN APPROVAL PROCESS FOR SUPPLEMENTS?! There should be a 1 week turn around process by the mlb to all players that tests ANY supplements players want to take. And players should use the common sense to not use the supplement until it has been approved. I can't believe there isn't a system already in place. This just seems like common sense. The MLB should be fined for being stupid enough to not have this already in place.
R-DAWG wrote:i'd rather have the pick to package with Amare's contract next offseason, but hey, I'm just an MBA student at NYU what do I know about business.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#4 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Jan 6, 2009 5:50 am

livintoolive wrote:wow. Disgusting handling of the situation by the MLB.

and..

WHY THE HELL ISN'T THERE ALREADY AN APPROVAL PROCESS FOR SUPPLEMENTS?! There should be a 1 week turn around process by the mlb to all players that tests ANY supplements players want to take. And players should use the common sense to not use the supplement until it has been approved. I can't believe there isn't a system already in place. This just seems like common sense. The MLB should be fined for being stupid enough to not have this already in place.

Right. Incredible, Romero got screwed at every level including, surprisingly, the arbitration. I can understand how his attorneys advised him to take the case to a hearing. Certainly, there was no intent on his part. What was the purpose of MLB pushing for such a harsh result against an otherwise solid citizen? How about a warning to Romera and a notice sent to the players association?
POSTING POLICIES:
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
TheBluest
Banned User
And1: 8
Location: Lottery Bound...Banned From UK 2-11-09 @ 12:30 am by Martin LOL!

Post#5 » by TheBluest » Tue Jan 6, 2009 6:39 am

Further proof why I can't respect this sport. It's a complete joke. I hope the congress steps in an embarrasses baseball again. This is ridiculous.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#6 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Jan 6, 2009 3:01 pm

TheBluest wrote:Further proof why I can't respect this sport. It's a complete joke. I hope the congress steps in an embarrasses baseball again. This is ridiculous.

Baseball is still a great game ... no matter how they try and screw it up.
POSTING POLICIES:
knick4life1218
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#7 » by knick4life1218 » Tue Jan 6, 2009 3:15 pm

as much as i hate the phills, this is (Please Use More Appropriate Word), why should he be to blame for taking this, after asking the MLBPA if he can, and they approved of it, saying it was banned
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,181

Post#8 » by Luv those Knicks » Wed Jan 7, 2009 4:01 am

Here's an alternate opinion.

1 - the supplement had already led to a player being suspended from the olympics in 2006 and an article had been written about it in 2007

was the subject of a 2007 study that found 6-OXO “significantly increased” testosterone in the male body. That study was published in the Journal of International Society of Sports Nutrition.

In the original article, Ramero was advised to "check it out" and whoever he asked who said it was OK, obviously didn't do a very good job.

Here's the article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns
Go NY Go NY Go
RutgersBJJ
General Manager
And1: 125

Post#9 » by RutgersBJJ » Wed Jan 7, 2009 5:43 am

TheBluest wrote:Further proof why I can't respect this sport. It's a complete joke. I hope the congress steps in an embarrasses baseball again. This is ridiculous.

the same exact thing happened in the nfl this year, is the nfl a joke as well?
RIP Jared Jeffries. Gone but never forgotten...2006-2012

Return to New York Knicks