ImageImageImageImageImage

what's up with danilo's injury?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

KNEMESIS
Veteran
And1: 2

Re: what's up with danilo's injury? 

Post#21 » by KNEMESIS » Tue Jan 6, 2009 11:19 pm

waya wrote:
KNEMESIS wrote:
Thugnificence wrote:Do the posters here ever NOT overreact, jump the gun, and wildy speculate?

I don't know how many times I've quoted Donnie on this, but I'm doing it again. He said "We have to get it right with this pick. A mistake could set us back for years." Yet he passed on a legit 7 footer with skills in Lopez, a "rare talent" in Bayless, and a bonafide soon-to-be star PG in Augustin... for what? A previously unknown Euro with a Dan Tony connection who got hurt the first time he bumped into a fat guy. If/when Danilo ever does take the court, we better keep him far far away from E-City. Like every other Knicks fan, I only hope for the best for Gallo and hope to hell he pans out for the Knicks. Unfortunately I just have my doubts.

You really think he was unknown?? He was widely scouted while he was in Europe, and impressed our coaching staff as well as a few others during work-outs. As for the D'antoni connection, I think thats been blown out of proportion. Yeah, his dad and D'antoni were teammates, but look at any interview and the kid says he's only met D'antoni once or twice before. Its not like hes a family friend or anything...

As for the other prospects Id take Duhon over Augustin and Bayless, who are basically just scorers at this point. Lopez is looking good though.

Oh please tell... When did you first hear about Gallo??? Lemme guess - you've been following him since he was 13 or some bullshyt like that. The earliest ANY of us heard his name prior to the draft was April.
Really? Jared Jeffries. Seriously?
KNEMESIS
Veteran

Post#22 » by KNEMESIS » Tue Jan 6, 2009 11:22 pm

ezmoney707 wrote:
KNEMESIS wrote:
Thugnificence wrote:Do the posters here ever NOT overreact, jump the gun, and wildy speculate?

I don't know how many times I've quoted Donnie on this, but I'm doing it again. He said "We have to get it right with this pick. A mistake could set us back for years." Yet he passed on a legit 7 footer with skills in Lopez, a "rare talent" in Bayless, and a bonafide soon-to-be star PG in Augustin... for what? A previously unknown Euro with a Dan Tony connection who got hurt the first time he bumped into a fat guy. If/when Danilo ever does take the court, we better keep him far far away from E-City. Like every other Knicks fan, I only hope for the best for Gallo and hope to hell he pans out for the Knicks. Unfortunately I just have my doubts.

Just because you don't know him does no not make him unknown to scouts and NBA team. It is just ignorant to say he is not going to be better than the above mentioned just because YOU have never seen the guy play.

I didn't say he is not going to be better than the above mentioned. I sure hope he is going to be better and turns out to be a star in this league. But right now it doesn't look like it. I hope I'm wrong.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,898

Post#23 » by GONYK » Tue Jan 6, 2009 11:29 pm

KNEMESIS wrote:

I don't know how many times I've quoted Donnie on this, but I'm doing it again. He said "We have to get it right with this pick. A mistake could set us back for years." Yet he passed on a legit 7 footer with skills in Lopez, a "rare talent" in Bayless, and a bonafide soon-to-be star PG in Augustin.
There is more conjecture in this one post than in all the other "The sky is falling" posts I've seen. You are making it sound like we passed on 3 Kobe's in this draft.

Bayless is not a "rare talent", certainly not of the can't miss variety. Hence, he can't get off the bench in Portland.

Augustin is not a star. He is a short guy who is smart and knows how to score. He is not a PG on the level of some of the elite playmakers in the league by any stretch. He is just solid.

Lopez is as good today as he will ever be. There is very little potential when discussing Brook Lopez. On top of that, he is wrong for this system.

There are 2 things people need to do on this board:
1. Take an objective look at the talent around the league, and stop making every kid we didn't pick into a superstar.
2. Look at the facts about our own pick.
At the #6 spot, Gallinari was the most skilled player, and he still has a bunch of potential. On top of that, he is more proven than anybody on the draft board. He also has a mature disposition and the mindset of a winner. Those are intangibles you just can't teach.

It's easy to get wistful when you haven't seen the kid and other people's rookies are producing, but keep a level head before you go saying the kid is setting us back years. Not one of the players you just mentioned would have saved this franchise. Not one of them are even close to franchise talents. We didn't pass on OJ Mayo. We took the kid with the most homerun potential at the 6 spot.
KNEMESIS
Veteran

Post#24 » by KNEMESIS » Tue Jan 6, 2009 11:33 pm

GONYK wrote:
KNEMESIS wrote:

I don't know how many times I've quoted Donnie on this, but I'm doing it again. He said "We have to get it right with this pick. A mistake could set us back for years." Yet he passed on a legit 7 footer with skills in Lopez, a "rare talent" in Bayless, and a bonafide soon-to-be star PG in Augustin.
There is more conjecture in this one post than in all the other "The sky is falling" posts I've seen. You are making it sound like we passed on 3 Kobe's in this draft.

Bayless is not a "rare talent", certainly not of the can't miss variety. Hence, he can't get off the bench in Portland.

Augustin is not a star. He is a short guy who is smart and knows how to score. He is not a PG on the level of some of the elite playmakers in the league by any stretch. He is just solid.

Lopez is as good today as he will ever be. There is very little potential when discussing Brook Lopez. On top of that, he is wrong for this system.

1. Take an objective look at the talent around the league, and stop making every kid we didn't pick into a superstar.
At the #6 spot, Gallinari was the most skilled player, and he still has a bunch of potential. On top of that, he is more proven than anybody on the draft board. He also has a mature disposition and the mindset of a winner. Those are intangibles you just can't teach.

It's easy to get wistful when you haven't seen the kid and other people's rookies are producing, but keep a level head before you go saying the kid is setting us back years. Not one of the players you just mentioned would have saved this franchise. Not one of them are even close to franchise talents. We didn't pass on OJ Mayo. We took the kid with the most homerun potential at the 6 spot.

I hope you're right.
waya
RealGM
And1: 5,128

Post#25 » by waya » Tue Jan 6, 2009 11:38 pm

KNEMESIS wrote:Oh please tell... When did you first hear about Gallo??? Lemme guess - you've been following him since he was 13 or some bullshyt like that. The earliest ANY of us heard his name prior to the draft was April.

I follow Efes Pilsen and Fenerbahce in Euroleague competition so yes, I knew of him as well as Nicolas Batum, well before all the draft speculation.

But thats besides the point, you said he was an unknown when we drafted him, which is clearly wrong. NBA scouts are all over Euro ball these days, a 19-year old putting up 20 ppg and being featured on his team won't go unnoticed.
TheBlackFist
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#26 » by TheBlackFist » Tue Jan 6, 2009 11:43 pm

He's a soft euro scrub. He will never amount to anything against NBA players. He is not strong enough or quick enough or tough enough to play against brothers in the league.
haterade
Sixth Man
And1: 90

Post#27 » by haterade » Tue Jan 6, 2009 11:44 pm

KNEMESIS wrote:Oh please tell... When did you first hear about Gallo??? Lemme guess - you've been following him since he was 13 or some bullshyt like that. The earliest ANY of us heard his name prior to the draft was April.

It doesn't matter when we hear about a player it matters on the people in charge of making the decisions. Walsh has done a good job and he's done moves not everyone here is in agreement with. Less than a handful of people here were happy about the Duhon move and it panned out. We just have to trust that the front office made the right decision on who they drafted. I remember seeing the knicks draft board and it went something like Mayo, Westbrook, Danilo, and Gordon. Bayless was around the 7th choice and B Lopez was near the bottom.
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 116

Post#28 » by TKF » Wed Jan 7, 2009 12:37 am

GONYK wrote:
KNEMESIS wrote:

did I just read that we passed on a Soon to be star in Augustine, a Rare talent in bayless and a skilled 7 footer in lopez?

Did I read that correctly? OH lord, please stop that... A rare talent in Bayless? OK, I won't even address this, I will just defer to your post gony, I think you covered it well......
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,000

Post#29 » by Pharmcat » Wed Jan 7, 2009 12:39 am

give danilo some time plz
TheBlowBye
Junior

Post#30 » by TheBlowBye » Wed Jan 7, 2009 2:45 am

Should have traded up for Mayo or made a trade for him, would have been perfect for the team too.
bargs
Starter
And1: 11

Post#31 » by bargs » Wed Jan 7, 2009 9:14 am

GONYK wrote:
KNEMESIS wrote:

ya, definitely....it's amazing when you hear something like " an unknow euro guy"

well, first of all i think you've to shut down your racism, cause everytime i read something about euros it's ever something bad, and the more i read the worse it gets (it's a kinda "growing racism mentality").

danilo has been scouted well enough and many times, so i think he's worth the 6th pick basing on what he's done here in europe.

i've watched bayless a couple of times and well he isn't much of a scorer and a questionable playmaker.

lopez is a nice guy with a strong body he's good ...but man, danilo's upside isn't comparable with lopez' s one.

the question isn't " is he good enough to play in the nba" ...yes he's obviously ...but is he healthy to show what he can do?..i think he isn't.

even if he'll be fine to play in a couple of weeks, i think he does better to stop playing basketball for the entire year ...

i mean, if the medical staff says "he's ready"....he must be ready at 100% otherwise he'd have better to wait and rest.
nylj2
Sixth Man

Post#32 » by nylj2 » Wed Jan 7, 2009 12:36 pm

TheBlackFist wrote:He's a soft euro scrub. He will never amount to anything against NBA players. He is not strong enough or quick enough or tough enough to play against brothers in the league.

"Racism is the belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race."

Shameful.

Let him play a few regular season games and then use EVIDENCE to inform your opinion. It's a lot less ugly and hateful that way...
KNEMESIS
Veteran

Post#33 » by KNEMESIS » Wed Jan 7, 2009 1:08 pm

bargs wrote:
ya, definitely....it's amazing when you hear something like " an unknow euro guy"

well, first of all i think you've to shut down your racism, cause everytime i read something about euros it's ever something bad, and the more i read the worse it gets (it's a kinda "growing racism mentality").

Do not EVER accuse me of racism. You don't know me. As far as you know, I may be European myself. Yes, Danilo was a European player unknown to us state-side prior to speculation that the Knicks might draft him (in a similar way that Bargnagni was unknown until the speculation that Toronto might take him with the first pick in that draft - which was certainly a HUGE mistake in itself). There was absolutely no talk here in the states about Danilo prior to that speculation. I've been following basketball probably longer than you've been alive and have the utmost respect for European players like Sabonis, Marčiulionis, Petrovic, Divac, Dirk, Big Z and Gasol. Others like Kukoc, Turkoglu, Kirilenko, Peja, and Jasikevičius have absolutely proven they can compete at a high level in the NBA.

I hope Danilo pans out. I do. I REALLY do. And yes, it's unfortunate that we couldn't trade up for Mayo. But the fact remains that there were 3 highly-rated prospects on the board who could step in and fill immediate needs for us in Lopez, Bayless, and Augustin. It was either Walsh or D'Antoni who called Bayless "a rare talent." And I think you're all severely under-estimating Lopez. How often do you find a 7-footer with those types of skills? I believe he still has a lot of upside. And aside from Howard - name another center in the east better than Lopez (unless you consider Emeka a center). Maybe Z - but he's way old. Augustin will be a star PG in the league. Give him time... You'll see.
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#34 » by NYKAL » Wed Jan 7, 2009 1:15 pm

ezmoney707 wrote:
NYKAL wrote:Do people really think this back/disc injury will not effect his jump shot. I'm no doctor but, I have had back injuries and it made it very difficult on long range shots. Also anytime I jumped while running a twang would run up and down it.

I can't help but fear that this kid will be a shadow of what he could have become.

F-DAN-PHONI for picking a guy he didn't work out or have the medical staff examine.

Every Injury effects others differently. Many people who have seen Gallo practice lately have said that his jumper is still dead on. The guy never had any back issues before the one in the summer. It was a freak accident. I'm pretty damn sure the guy has been hit before in Europe. You act like NBA teams don't do their research. They have scouts watching these guys all year round, but no since were the Knicks you think we are too stupid to not have check everything out before we draft someone. I guess the Knicks just picked him up at the last second and they thought please God let this guy be as good as his agent said on the phone.

STANDSTILL JUMPERS
They do not equate to game production. Also, QRich looks like a 3point marksmen in practice so, seeing Gallo make stand still jumpers does nothing for my confidence.
nylj2
Sixth Man

Post#35 » by nylj2 » Wed Jan 7, 2009 1:19 pm

KNEMESIS wrote:
bargs wrote:
Others like Kukoc, Turkoglu, Kirilenko, Peja, and Jasikevičius have absolutely proven they can compete at a high level in the NBA.

I hope Danilo pans out. I do. I REALLY do. And yes, it's unfortunate that we couldn't trade up for Mayo. But the fact remains that there were 3 highly-rated prospects on the board who could step in and fill immediate needs for us in Lopez, Bayless, and Augustin. It was either Walsh or D'Antoni who called Bayless "a rare talent." And I think you're all severely under-estimating Lopez. How often do you find a 7-footer with those types of skills? I believe he still has a lot of upside. And aside from Howard - name another center in the east better than Lopez (unless you consider Emeka a center). Maybe Z - but he's way old. Augustin will be a star PG in the league. Give him time... You'll see.

My draft board was:

1) mayo
2) westbrook
3) gallinari

Lopez would have been a solid pick. I wouldn't have been happy at the time but it would have been safe. I thought Westbrook would fall to our pick. I was kinda shocked that he didn't.

Bayless and Augustin I'm not so sure yet. There are a lot of really good college point guards that just don't make it at the next level. Don't get me wrong, both have potential but if we were going to draft a guard I would have gone for Mayo or Westbrook. Gallinari had the best "upside potential" at that pick (which often never pans out) but he reminds me a lot of Kukoc and Turkoglu.

Let's hope the back injury was misdiagnosed initially and that the treatment leads to a 100% recovery. If not, it will be really disappointing and it will really make me wary of the phrase "upside potential" forever (think Olowokandi).

Lopez would have been boring but safe. Sometimes that's not so bad.
Thorn
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,162

Post#36 » by Thorn » Thu Jan 8, 2009 5:01 pm

TheBlowBye wrote:Should have traded up for Mayo or made a trade for him, would have been perfect for the team too.

As if we didn't try.

Seriously, we did not have the chips we needed to make that trade happen at that time. mayo is a legit star in this league with a major future. No one wants our over paid, flawed, one dimensional, and or out of shape malcontents with a track record for losing when they could have the 3rd pick in the draft.

Come on. Think a little.
TheBluest
Banned User
And1: 8
Location: Lottery Bound...Banned From UK 2-11-09 @ 12:30 am by Martin LOL!

Post#37 » by TheBluest » Thu Jan 8, 2009 5:06 pm

Thorn wrote:
TheBlowBye wrote:Should have traded up for Mayo or made a trade for him, would have been perfect for the team too.

As if we didn't try.

Seriously, we did not have the chips we needed to make that trade happen at that time. mayo is a legit star in this league with a major future. No one wants our over paid, flawed, one dimensional, and or out of shape malcontents with a track record for losing when they could have the 3rd pick in the draft.

Come on. Think a little.

Yes we did.

We could have traded #6 and Lee for #5 and #28. Trade #5 to Minny for #3(Mayo) and select Deandre Jordan, Mario Chalmers, Darrell Arthur with #28. Memphis had the #5 and #28(From Laker/Gasol trade I believe) in the 2008 draft

Of course you'd have to think on your toes to get a deal done like this. We were Italian Whipped!
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,476

Post#38 » by j4remi » Thu Jan 8, 2009 6:23 pm

KNEMESIS wrote:

Oh please tell... When did you first hear about Gallo??? Lemme guess - you've been following him since he was 13 or some bullshyt like that. The earliest ANY of us heard his name prior to the draft was April.

Please dude, the draft heads who follow Europe knew about Gallo before he was eligible on a Ricky Rubio tip. He's been that good. Between Gallo and Ibaka, I was eyeing Euro prospects from the preseason (no homo). Just because you're uninformed doesn't mean others are as well.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,476

Post#39 » by j4remi » Thu Jan 8, 2009 6:36 pm

As an extra P.S. since Knemesis is stuck on this "he was unknown until speculation" Gallo was a projected top 10 pick from the start of the season. He was likened to the European Lebron James and was easily the most hyped Euro out there along with Rudy (who was already picked but still cause for excitement). The way hardcore fans are on the lookout for Rubio is how Gallo was treated last year. Batum got serious attention to an extent as well. Ibaka was the consensus sleeper, super raw amazing athlete. Draft heads pay attention wherever the talent is. This year Europe's a lot less enticing as far as young stars compared to last year and that's with Jennings and Rubio over there.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo

Return to New York Knicks