ImageImageImageImageImage

What does tank mean, anyway??

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Knicksman780
Lead Assistant
And1: 899

What does tank mean, anyway?? 

Post#1 » by Knicksman780 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:12 am

Ok. After every loss all I read is f this and f that, we should tank. When I think about it, however, its a stupid and foolish remark. Tanking means to lose on purpose. That would never happen, especially during a draft where there is no clear-cut future hall of famer waiting to be drafted #1. But lets analyze something here...
1. Tanking usually involves losing...lots of it. I'd say we got that one down packed.
2. Tanking means playing the younger players. I see that happening already too. We have Chandler starting, no more Rose, Marbury, James in the lineup. When Gallo gets healthy, expect to see less TT and Q too.
3. Tanking is finding new ways to lose every game. I see this already too.

I basically say we "tanked" by trading Crawford and Randolph.

So, while "tanking" may mean to lose purposely, which we know D'Antoni and Walsh would never do, I'd say that we really suck to the point where we don't need to tank. So now you see why its so stupid for someone to say after every loss "we should just tank" when we are in fact losing, yet not on purpose. We have a team of scrubs except for 2-3 keepers and in the end, we will have a top 5 pick. So please shut up with the tank talk...
knick4life1218
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Re: What does tank mean, anyway?? 

Post#2 » by knick4life1218 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:13 am

tank means to lose on purpose

we are losing because we suck
Knicksman780
Lead Assistant
And1: 899

Post#3 » by Knicksman780 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:15 am

knick4life1218 wrote:tank means to lose on purpose

As I stated above...except why do people say "screw it and tank" while we are losing a lot??? Aren't we losing anyway? Why tank? Isn't it the same final result?
Smoke24
RealGM
And1: 11

Post#4 » by Smoke24 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:18 am

Knicksman780 wrote:
knick4life1218 wrote:tank means to lose on purpose

As I stated above...except why do people say "screw it and tank" while we are losing a lot??? Aren't we losing anyway? Why tank? Isn't it the same final result?

Well in the past we have had unecessary winning streaks which led to a worse position. So people, i guess, just want it to be stuck in peoples minds that "tanking" should be done every game and not every so often.
TheBluest
Banned User
And1: 8
Location: Lottery Bound...Banned From UK 2-11-09 @ 12:30 am by Martin LOL!

Post#5 » by TheBluest » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:59 am

It means play the young players the lion's share minutes every night. Assuming Nate sticks around

It means Chandler should get more minutes than Q no matter how many times he steps out of bounds or travels. Lee should always play more minutes than NO SHARRINGTON no matter how many times Brandon Bass smashes the Spaulding in his face through the rim. It means Nate should play point, while Duhon plays off guard no matter how many times Nate flies from Trapeze to Trapeze to execute a bad play....(I shudder at this idea the most but this Numbskull has to realize he's only going to be so good if he can't run the point). It would encourage Nate to pass instead of shoot first.

It means play CHUCKERSUCK 20min/gm minimum and tell him to shatter as much glass as he can out there. Pick up the pieces and chew on them when he's on the bench

It means running the offense through Chandler, Lee, Nate in that order

It meant when Effries had a broken leg Malik should have received 20min/gm and told to declothe as many players as possible in the post on defense.

It meant since day one of trade NO SHARRINGTON should have come off the bench

It meant since the start of the season Q-RISK should have never been named a starter for the duration of the season even if all our guards ended up on the IR.

It meant once trades were made you acquire players from other teams in the 8-11 spot on expiring deals because you knew for a fact they'd bust Asss trying to play to keep themselves relevant in this league along with acquiring some kind of pick, realistically very low first rounders or high second rounders to be used in the 2009 and/or 2010 draft.

If we were willing to trade our young talent then you couple them with our worst contracts and try to do as above except obtain higher pics to be used in the 2009 draft specifically if not we'd need a player with upside in exchange

It meant signing players from the NBDL who are hungry to play in this league.
NY The Truth
Sophomore

Post#6 » by NY The Truth » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:47 am

We can tank by playing young guys lee chandler gallinari and nate. Playing guys to increase their trade value with no regard to the outcome of the game, jerome james jared jefferies and curry. Make players like chandler and gallinari the focus of our offense regardless of the situation. Keep veterans like thomas and qrich on the bench.
KNEMESIS
Veteran
And1: 2

Post#7 » by KNEMESIS » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:59 pm

Tanking means we know we suck. We know we're going to lose a good majority of the games we play. We know we either have inferior talent or the wrong mix of players. Yet we do absolutely nothing to correct this in order to better our chances in the lottery.
Really? Jared Jeffries. Seriously?
boomann21
RealGM
And1: 2,777

Post#8 » by boomann21 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:55 pm

Knicksman780 wrote:Ok. After every loss all I read is f this and f that, we should tank. When I think about it, however, its a stupid and foolish remark. Tanking means to lose on purpose. That would never happen, especially during a draft where there is no clear-cut future hall of famer waiting to be drafted #1. But lets analyze something here...
1. Tanking usually involves losing...lots of it. I'd say we got that one down packed.
2. Tanking means playing the younger players. I see that happening already too. We have Chandler starting, no more Rose, Marbury, James in the lineup. When Gallo gets healthy, expect to see less TT and Q too.
3. Tanking is finding new ways to lose every game. I see this already too.

I basically say we "tanked" by trading Crawford and Randolph.

So, while "tanking" may mean to lose purposely, which we know D'Antoni and Walsh would never do, I'd say that we really suck to the point where we don't need to tank. So now you see why its so stupid for someone to say after every loss "we should just tank" when we are in fact losing, yet not on purpose. We have a team of scrubs except for 2-3 keepers and in the end, we will have a top 5 pick. So please shut up with the tank talk...

I'm confused, so are you saying we are already tanking and we shouldn't say let's tank.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 50,201

Post#9 » by Deeeez Knicks » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:01 pm

Yeah, the term "tanking" gets thrown out there a lot nowadays. Its one of those words that is popular on these boards.

We are rebuilding, not really tanking, we are just bad. i mean we won 23 games last year without tanking.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,487

Post#10 » by j4remi » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:10 pm

Brad Lohaus wrote:Yeah, the term "tanking" gets thrown out there a lot nowadays. Its one of those words that is popular on these boards.

We are rebuilding, not really tanking, we are just bad. i mean we won 23 games last year without tanking.

Exactly and the same players we had last season are saviors now to half this board :roll: . We need a huge list of what entails rebuilding because NY fans are famous for not being able to handle a rebuild and I know why now.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Big C
RealGM
And1: 1

Post#11 » by Big C » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:21 pm

This team does not need to tank because they will lose games anyway. Look at our draft pick last year. Did having one of the worst records help the Knicks get a top 3 draft pick? With this team's luck the Knicks would tank and get the 8th draft pick. While other teams with a better record get the number 1 draft pick. Again there is no need to tank because this team will lose games anyway.
fimo
Junior

Post#12 » by fimo » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:40 pm

we're tanking by default. No need to try. Its a long season, just wait till the ankles start to roll and the knees start to get sore. Thats when then battle for the number 1 pick will be fast and furious
Ito
General Manager
And1: 786

Post#13 » by Ito » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:17 pm

If you think about it, we are tanking.

We traded Z Bo for nothing basically, and traded Crawford for Al. Now Al may be the foward version of Jamal, but he got way less heart than he does.

Losing this season was probably part of the plan
nyknicks09
RealGM
And1: 3,215

Post#14 » by nyknicks09 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:18 pm

Tanking is the excuse for not winning. The Knicks are a mess and it sucks that Walsh and D'Antoni can't find a way to get this team some positive consistency. We as Knicks fans need to stop creating high expectations on a roster that is flawed, and in a coach who should be playing the young players major minutes instead of the veteran players. Hopefully, Walsh will cut ties with Marbury and open a roster spot to sign a young player, and maybe trade M.Rose and Roberson for Camby. Our biggest need right now is a center who could help us intimidate the paint that can give Lee, Chandler, and Nate a chance to compete for 48 minutes. We have the habit of overrating our players which creates high expectations on wishful thinking which leads to upset Knicks fans.
New York Knicks
DocZaius
Banned User
And1: 56

Post#15 » by DocZaius » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:40 pm

Its like saving up alot of credits to buy Mammoth tanks instead of massing regular ones in Command and Conquer.

Return to New York Knicks