ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: PC Help - Remote Desktop COnnection

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

rrosario35
Sixth Man
And1: 92

OT: PC Help - Remote Desktop COnnection 

Post#1 » by rrosario35 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:45 pm

My company lets us access a remote server from home. it's like a virtual desktop kind of thing. i wish there were an easy way to drag and drop files from my home pc to the terminal desktop or company hard drive.

does anyone know how to do this? looks like some people can when i search google, but it all seems proprietary to each client/system.

thanks
livintoolive
Head Coach
And1: 173

Re: OT: PC Help - Remote Desktop COnnection 

Post#2 » by livintoolive » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:55 pm

rrosario35 wrote:My company lets us access a remote server from home. it's like a virtual desktop kind of thing. i wish there were an easy way to drag and drop files from my home pc to the terminal desktop or company hard drive.

does anyone know how to do this? looks like some people can when i search google, but it all seems proprietary to each client/system.

thanks

That's correct. I set up a ton of remote connections when I worked for an IT consulting company, copy/paste, printers and file transfers are all proprietary to the system. Ask your company's IT guy, they should be able to answer you.
R-DAWG wrote:i'd rather have the pick to package with Amare's contract next offseason, but hey, I'm just an MBA student at NYU what do I know about business.
TheBluest
Banned User
And1: 8
Location: Lottery Bound...Banned From UK 2-11-09 @ 12:30 am by Martin LOL!

Post#3 » by TheBluest » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:10 pm

If your company allows remote network access from home via VPN, DIal-up, Web then it should be very easy once connected to the Network. Once you're connected to the remote server and you can tell your client is on the same network you have many options. I'm assuming you're in a Windows Platform environment... you should be able to on your client Map a drive letter to the Remote Server Domain/Comupter Name(possibly any other client on the Domain)...Shared Directory, with appropriate sign on credentials or type out the full path at your Run Command. The rest should be self explanatory after that. There's a couple ways you could type up the Run Command to the path of Remote Server but you must have valid credentials to do either of them in particular on the Run Command you would be asked to type it in after the command is ran

Example

Map

Run Command to Path
rrosario35
Sixth Man
And1: 92

Post#4 » by rrosario35 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:18 am

well... thanks for your answers... here's what i figured out

when connecting via remote desktop...
hit options before logging in
go to local resources tab
and hit ''drives''

when you log onto your remote desktop your local drives should be listed under ''my computer''
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#5 » by magnumt » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:11 am

Basically live' and 'Bluest got it right. The first thing that you need to establish is some kind of VPN connection (your local IT Dept can give you the steps for their setup).

Once the VPN Conn. is established, you'll then try to access the folders on your work servers (or local work PC). This can either be done by going to Start>Run, or via the Tools menu on My Computer (or right-clicking My Computer/My Network).

You're IT Dept will be able to tell you what the correct Paths are for their Data Servers that you can access (or if your local PC, what the name/IP Address is).
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6

Return to New York Knicks