ImageImageImageImageImage

We're still waiting for the DPE

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

thefuriousfive
Rookie
And1: 0

We're still waiting for the DPE 

Post#1 » by thefuriousfive » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:57 am

Until we get the DPE, we really can't make a move. We can't fill the Mobley roster spot because it will cost us the DPE, and we can't make a trade without knowing all the movable pieces. The league office is sure taking its god damn time.
Starks4Prez
Sophomore
And1: 0

Re: We're still waiting for the DPE 

Post#2 » by Starks4Prez » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:07 am

thefuriousfive wrote:Until we get the DPE, we really can't make a move. We can't fill the Mobley roster spot because it will cost us the DPE, and we can't make a trade without knowing all the movable pieces. The league office is sure taking its god damn time.

Does anyone know how long something like this usually takes?
ElMatatan
General Manager
And1: 487

Post#3 » by ElMatatan » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:16 am

Well the league is trying to keep Donnie from signing another scrub like Robertson.
NY State of Mind
Polk377
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Post#4 » by Polk377 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:37 am

Is there any way the Knicks can get a DPE for Jerome James? He has been injured for 3 years and has now ruptured his achililes. He will probably never play in the NBA again so why couldnt they get something back for this pile of garbage.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,867

Post#5 » by NoLayupRule » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:59 am

James is a retirement/injury exception option, yes.

It usually doesnt take nearly this long to get an injury exception. This is odd to say the least.

i can remember times when players' injury exceptions were issued within weeks

i think the reason must be legal.

For example Mobley's injury issue - his heart - has been a long known problem. SO they may not grant it because of that. Injury exceptions are given for an injury that forces a lost season or retirement or death but can not be requested for a reoccurring injury or pre-existing issue.

Im sure Walsh's take is that the injury - the heart issue - developed into something worse or was never fully and properly diagnosed
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,455

Post#6 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:15 am

Is an injury exception treated the same as a trade exception? Can we trade it, or can we only use it to sign someone?
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#7 » by NoLayupRule » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:53 am

Injury exceptions and trade exceptions are different but act the same once you get them.

Injury exceptions are what we are waiting for from Mobley. Given due to injury that makes a player inable to contribute the majority of the season or longer. It equals half the player's salary

Trade exceptions are what we have from the Balkman trade and they happen when a player is traded to an under the cap team and the team that adds the new player doesnt send back equal salary in return {or within 25% of equal}.

the team that sent the player with the higher salary - in our case us because we only got a 2nd back - gets a trade exception for that player's salary differential. in our case 1.5 mil I think.

it also happens when the salaries in the deal are so small, like in our case. Denver wasnt under the cap but they sent us no guaranteed salary back, thus the trade exception
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,455

Post#8 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:54 pm

thanks for the info. Hopefully we can use one of them to buy an extra pick or something. Sounds like a lot of teams want to save some dough so there should be opportunities. Plus it would be great if we ended up with a pick or something else from the Zach trade.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Johnny Hoops
RealGM
And1: 2,212

Post#9 » by Johnny Hoops » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:34 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:James is a retirement/injury exception option, yes.

It usually doesnt take nearly this long to get an injury exception. This is odd to say the least.

i can remember times when players' injury exceptions were issued within weeks

i think the reason must be legal.

For example Mobley's injury issue - his heart - has been a long known problem. SO they may not grant it because of that. Injury exceptions are given for an injury that forces a lost season or retirement or death but can not be requested for a reoccurring injury or pre-existing issue.

Im sure Walsh's take is that the injury - the heart issue - developed into something worse or was never fully and properly diagnosed

It's possible that the long time frame is in our favor as that could be an indication that there is some merit to our request and there is some type of debate taking place over the request.

Otherwise you might think the league would have already made a decision and said nice try Donnie but no go.

I guess it could go either way....

From what I've heard - if we do get the salary exemption Walsh probably wouldn't use it until next summer. But he might fill the vacated roster spot via a 2-1 trade or a player pick-up.
TwelvePac
Veteran
And1: 12

Post#10 » by TwelvePac » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:40 pm

My expectations are for David Stern to screw the Knicks as usual.
makeitstop
General Manager
And1: 2,274

Post#11 » by makeitstop » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:57 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:It usually doesnt take nearly this long to get an injury exception. This is odd to say the least.

Didn't it take a really long time for Allan Houston's exception to clear, or am I remembering it wrong?

I thought we didn't get that exception until he was gone from the team for quite a while.
'Every night ending in 'Y' is a rock fight when you're playing the New York Knicks.' - World Wide Wob
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#12 » by Scalabrine » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:59 pm

This is ridiculous. The League cant take much longer on a decious, we are banged up, we have players playing hurt (including the guy whos logging the most minutes in the league, Chris Duhon) because we dont have other options. Without Duhon we have zero point guards and 1 shooting guard (2 if you include Q). The longer this takes the higher risk we are putting other players in that are being forced to continue to log heavy minutes while being injured, which runs the risk of even worse injury (Lee playing on a badly sprained ankle for example). Make a decision godamnit!

Right when this decision is made we need to figure out whats happening with Jerome, we will probably keep him and let insurance cover his contract 80% and only work with 14 roster spots (same as we were when he was healthy :lol: ).
Go Knicks!
ctorres
RealGM
And1: 3,541

Post#13 » by ctorres » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:14 pm

To be honest, I don't think we deserve the DPE.

Regardless, I don't think we're that banged up. We have 9 decently healthy rotation guys right now.
kosmovitelli
RealGM
And1: 429

Post#14 » by kosmovitelli » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:16 pm

Starks4Prez wrote:
thefuriousfive wrote:Until we get the DPE, we really can't make a move. We can't fill the Mobley roster spot because it will cost us the DPE, and we can't make a trade without knowing all the movable pieces. The league office is sure taking its god damn time.

Does anyone know how long something like this usually takes?

It takes time ! LOL

In 2001, the Knicks applied the league for a disabled player exception for Luc Longley mid july and they were granted the DPE on september 26 ! It took almost 70 days and the Knicks had to use the DPE before october 1 because the league ruled that Longley's career ending injury occured in march 2001 and therefore october 1 should be the deadline.
The Knicks had 4 days to use the exception and they have let it expire.
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#15 » by NoLayupRule » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:30 pm

but the missed exceptions on Longley and Johnson happened, and were probably applied for, well after the injury. A similar case can be made for Mobley but the situation is different.

I dont really care if we get the exception. It'd be nice to have a 4.5 mil trade chip to try to land some interesting piece but the situation around the league is geared for teams looking to move talent for cap space and thats sorta where we are too.

I dont see the knicks using our TE on anyone who goes past 2010.

Its too bad too since AI is probably available as are Josh Howard and Jermaine and several other interesting options
Synciere
Head Coach
And1: 4,393

Post#16 » by Synciere » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:34 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:Injury exceptions and trade exceptions are different but act the same once you get them.

Injury exceptions are what we are waiting for from Mobley. Given due to injury that makes a player inable to contribute the majority of the season or longer. It equals half the player's salary

Trade exceptions are what we have from the Balkman trade and they happen when a player is traded to an under the cap team and the team that adds the new player doesnt send back equal salary in return {or within 25% of equal}.

the team that sent the player with the higher salary - in our case us because we only got a 2nd back - gets a trade exception for that player's salary differential. in our case 1.5 mil I think.

it also happens when the salaries in the deal are so small, like in our case. Denver wasnt under the cap but they sent us no guaranteed salary back, thus the trade exception

Not sure if this has been answered before, but can those exceptions be used to buy draft picks?

Return to New York Knicks