ImageImageImageImageImage

The Misconception That The 2009 Draft Class Is Weak...

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

RealGM
And1: 39,217

The Misconception That The 2009 Draft Class Is Weak... 

Post#1 » by 2010 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:05 pm

There is a misconception that the 2009 draft class is weak. I beg to differ. Now I agree that it is weak-ER at the top than the past two draft classes (2007 & 2008). However, overall I think this draft class is deeper than last year's class (2008). Particularly in the 8-15 range, I believe one can get more value for those picks at those spots than in previous years. Lets look at prospects who could potentially declare:

My Ratings Board:

1. Blake Griffin
2. Ricky Rubio
3. James Harden
4. Jordan Hill
5. Greg Monroe
6. Hasheem Thabeet
7. BJ Mullins

8. Brandon Jennings
9. Jeff Teague
10. Jrue Holiday
11. Stephen Curry
12. Demar Derozan
13. Earl Clark
14. Al-Farouq Aminu
15. Cole Aldrich

16. Gerald Henderson
17. DaJuan Summers
18. Damion James
19. Gani Lawal
20. Chase Budinger
21. Wayne Ellington
22. Eric Maynor
23. Ty Lawson
24. Darren Collison
25. Tyler Hansbrough

Considering where we'll likely be selecting #8–#15 it looks like we could come away with a very nice player.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
Knicksfan1
Veteran
And1: 12

Re: The Misconception That The 2009 Draft Class Is Weak... 

Post#2 » by Knicksfan1 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:09 pm

We probably will trade nate for a first
Roscoe Sheed wrote:Also, everybody complains about KG setting moving screens, but Duncan is just as bad
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,009

Post#3 » by Pharmcat » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:10 pm

i totally agree.....there is good talent available....just another piece to add to our 2010 puzzle
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,086

Post#4 » by blueNorange » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:22 pm

2 guys who will be steals ... jarvis varnado and jermaine taylor.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
hobojoe2131
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#5 » by hobojoe2131 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:22 pm

I would love to see Jrue or Steph Curry in Orange and Blue
^ MP creation
NYKnick87
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#6 » by NYKnick87 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:47 pm

It's a week draft class in the sense that there isn't a big talent drop-off from those at the top of the class and those in the middle of the pack. That's why I believe that making the playoffs this year would be much more beneficial to the future of the team than getting a high lotto pick.
DocZaius
Banned User
And1: 56

Post#7 » by DocZaius » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:53 pm

blueNorange wrote:2 guys who will be steals ... jarvis varnado and jermaine taylor.

you mean 2 gambles
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 306

Post#8 » by nykgeneralmanager » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:53 pm

The problem is that one person can make a case that a player should go #12 and somebody else can make a case that the same player should go 20th. It isn't necessarily a weak draft, just that a large majority of the players are the same talent level. For instance, some people feel that Thabeet is a top 5 pick and others like myself wouldn't waste a lottery pick on him.
Knicksfan1
Veteran
And1: 12

Post#9 » by Knicksfan1 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:00 am

I think we should stock up on picks whether buying/trading because we could then have a team which we can develop for a year which will still be here in 2010.
Roscoe Sheed wrote:Also, everybody complains about KG setting moving screens, but Duncan is just as bad
richardhutnik
Banned User
And1: 10

Post#10 » by richardhutnik » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:41 am

NYKnick87 wrote:It's a week draft class in the sense that there isn't a big talent drop-off from those at the top of the class and those in the middle of the pack. That's why I believe that making the playoffs this year would be much more beneficial to the future of the team than getting a high lotto pick.

It is WAY too early to know who is a top talent this draft. We need March madness and other things to pop up.

- Rich
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - G. Marx
KOA
Lead Assistant
And1: 820

Post#11 » by KOA » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:52 am

I'm disappointed you didn't include the guy in my avatar in your list (Patrick Patterson). Either way I completely agree with you.

I am extremely surprised by the amount of people on this board that want to keep David Lee. I am happy he is playing well because he is increasing his trading value. The reality is that he is a good rebounder with a very minimal offensive game and he is well below average in the defense department.

Most all of his points come off assists (pick and roll plays). This is very similar to how Nazr Mohammed looked like a starting caliber center in the Knicks offense. Any athletic bigman who can rebound and his FTs at a decent clip would do just as well if not better than David Lee is doing now in this type of system.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#12 » by blueNorange » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:57 am

DocZaius wrote:
blueNorange wrote:2 guys who will be steals ... jarvis varnado and jermaine taylor.

you mean 2 gambles

varnado is 6'9" foward that's averaging 5 bpg and 9 rpg and taylor is a 6'4" shooting guard who's averaging 23.7 ppg on 50% shooting(41% from 3) and has 5 rpg ... he just doesn't get noticed because he goes to ucf.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,009

Post#13 » by Pharmcat » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:17 am

nykgeneralmanager wrote:The problem is that one person can make a case that a player should go #12 and somebody else can make a case that the same player should go 20th. It isn't necessarily a weak draft, just that a large majority of the players are the same talent level. For instance, some people feel that Thabeet is a top 5 pick and others like myself wouldn't waste a lottery pick on him.

thabeet hater? :rolleyes:

u cant teach 7'2" :)
nylj2
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#14 » by nylj2 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:36 am

KOA wrote:
Most all of his points come off assists (pick and roll plays). This is very similar to how Nazr Mohammed looked like a starting caliber center in the Knicks offense. Any athletic bigman who can rebound and his FTs at a decent clip would do just as well if not better than David Lee is doing now in this type of system.

Most of all Karl Malone's points came off assists (pick and roll plays).
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,496

Post#15 » by j4remi » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:39 am

2010 wrote:There is a misconception that the 2009 draft class is weak. I beg to differ. Now I agree that it is weak-ER at the top than the past two draft classes (2007 & 2008). However, overall I think this draft class is deeper than last year's class (2008). Particularly in the 8-15 range, I believe one can get more value for those picks at those spots than in previous years. Lets look at prospects who could potentially declare:

My Ratings Board:

1. Blake Griffin
2. Ricky Rubio
3. James Harden
4. Jordan Hill
5. Greg Monroe
6. Hasheem Thabeet
7. BJ Mullins

8. Brandon Jennings
9. Jeff Teague
10. Jrue Holiday
11. Stephen Curry
12. Demar Derozan
13. Earl Clark
14. Al-Farouq Aminu
15. Cole Aldrich

16. Gerald Henderson
17. DaJuan Summers
18. Damion James
19. Gani Lawal
20. Chase Budinger
21. Wayne Ellington
22. Eric Maynor
23. Ty Lawson
24. Darren Collison
25. Tyler Hansbrough

Considering where we'll likely be selecting #8–#15 it looks like we could come away with a very nice player.

The reason the draft is considered weak is that even in your top 8 there are a number of question marks and high risk picks. Rubio has the old European staple, many don't trust his lack of athleticism (I think he'll be a beast though). After Rubio and Griffin, you have three guys in Harden, Monroe and Hill who will be contributors but aren't definitive impact guys. Thabeet and Mullens are both extremely raw and have serious flaws to be corrected, neither is a guarantee. That's your front eight, after those guys, you get another eight that are filled with question marks. This draft could see a collection of busts or a collection of very talented players. It's a weak draft because there are almost no guarantees. I wouldn't mind Thabeet, Rubio, Mullens, Harden, Jennings, Monroe, or Derozan (there's a star quality there I swear I see it).
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 306

Post#16 » by nykgeneralmanager » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:03 am

Pharmcat wrote:
nykgeneralmanager wrote:The problem is that one person can make a case that a player should go #12 and somebody else can make a case that the same player should go 20th. It isn't necessarily a weak draft, just that a large majority of the players are the same talent level. For instance, some people feel that Thabeet is a top 5 pick and others like myself wouldn't waste a lottery pick on him.

thabeet hater? :rolleyes:

u cant teach 7'2" :)

There are plenty of 7'2'' guys in the world, that isn't enough to be a top 5 pick or even a lottery pick. To me, you have to be something special or at least show signs of it in order to be a lottery pick in the NBA. Sure, Thabeet blocks some shots. However, he may be one of the most miserable looking offensive big men I have ever seen. He has stones for hands, less basketball IQ than my dog, and just doesn't know how to get position and hasn't shown any ability to put the ball in the basket outside of 5 feet from the basket. His only plus aside from his sheer size is that he is actually kind of athletic, so even though he looks like a doof on the court, he will be able to be a plus defensive big man in the pros. Its enough to make him an intriguing NBA prospect, but not enough to be a lottery pick IMO.
richardhutnik
Banned User
And1: 10

Post#17 » by richardhutnik » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:20 am

nykgeneralmanager wrote:There are plenty of 7'2'' guys in the world, that isn't enough to be a top 5 pick or even a lottery pick. To me, you have to be something special or at least show signs of it in order to be a lottery pick in the NBA. Sure, Thabeet blocks some shots. However, he may be one of the most miserable looking offensive big men I have ever seen. He has stones for hands, less basketball IQ than my dog, and just doesn't know how to get position and hasn't shown any ability to put the ball in the basket outside of 5 feet from the basket. His only plus aside from his sheer size is that he is actually kind of athletic, so even though he looks like a doof on the court, he will be able to be a plus defensive big man in the pros. Its enough to make him an intriguing NBA prospect, but not enough to be a lottery pick IMO.

GREAT! The Knicks can make the playoffs and still be able to take him then!'

= Rich
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - G. Marx
Johnny Hoops
RealGM
And1: 2,212

Post#18 » by Johnny Hoops » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:46 am

If we end up with the 16th pick I won't be unhappy with guys like...

Collison -- smart, quick, defensive minded guard who can knock down the 3 in the mold of Duhon - also from a great program. He plays in a slow system that may not showcase his true NBA assets.

Budinger -- yes he has issues with D and apathy but the kid is blessed physically and is an outstanding shooter - he couldn't hurt. He seems unselfish and could play the 2-3 in our system.

Henderson -- another great program, 2-guard with size and defensive capability. Shooting is suspect but coming on.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian

Post#19 » by blueNorange » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:25 am

btw, i really don't care anymore about lottery balls and all that caca ... i'll just let the season play out.

now i know you're shocked but i just looked at the standings ... the knicks will be in the middle and possibly in the late lottery.

boston, philly, cleveland, orlando, miami, san antonio, pheonix, utah, detroit, denver, atlanta, dallas, new orleans, houston, portland, and la are better than the knicks so they won't lose the pick and like that already have the 14th pick.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 28

Post#20 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:45 am

Knicksfan1 wrote:We probably will trade nate for a first

better do it NOW

after trade deadline he cannot be traded until mid-July, and that is after the draft.
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
- -- Chinese proverb

Return to New York Knicks