ImageImageImageImageImage

Could Watson help NY?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Paeds
Banned User
And1: 4

Re: Could Watson help NY? 

Post#21 » by Paeds » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:19 am

SuperflyKnick wrote:We still are one of the laughing stocks of the league...... and getting rid of randolf and crawford wasnt the most incredible move in the world....walsh cud have waited and tried to get more value for both players..... and why are u guys worryin about paying luxury tax and stuff aint ur money... dolans been paying all thse yrs for garbage anyways

really? I havent seen people laughing at all. In Fact I have read numerous times that FA's would want to play in NY.
Smoke24
RealGM
And1: 11

Post#22 » by Smoke24 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:20 am

SuperflyKnick wrote:We still are one of the laughing stocks of the league...... and getting rid of randolf and crawford wasnt the most incredible move in the world....walsh cud have waited and tried to get more value for both players..... and why are u guys worryin about paying luxury tax and stuff aint ur money... dolans been paying all thse yrs for garbage anyways

Again with this, how do we know that Walsh could have waited? If he did, and someone got hurt, we're stuck with those guys and their contracts. We haven't been under the salary cap in the last umpteen years and yet when we have someone who wants to accomplish that goal and still have flexibility money wise, we still have people who are stuck in the knicks old ways of thinking.

Im sorry a player like Zach had to go as I would much rather have him then Harrington, but financial wise, and winning for the future wise, that just wasn't in Donnies plans.

And why are we the laughing stock of the league? Because we sign marginal players to massive contracts and when we finally realize they suck, they're stuck with us for the duration of their contracts to go along with us not winning.

Spending money on name players + not winning= being clowned.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,481

Post#23 » by j4remi » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:24 am

drj wrote:
j4remi wrote:The 2010 plan is to have cap flexibility by 2010...mission accomplished. It's not a so-called plan, it's done already.

No the plan is two max FAs. We are close but not quite there, especially if we are serious about re-signing Lee (I think we're just posturing but that is another story).
We still need to move Jeffries or Curry... but that is perhaps best done in the offseason...

No it's not. Show me where Walsh said "I want two max FA's." He wants the cap flexibility so that signing two max FA's is an option. To say "we want two max FA's" is foolish and bad business. That takes away any opportunity to negotiate and after Bron, the rest of the pack might not have Max value with the way the recession has gone (I'm looking at the MLB off season when I say this). The media has hyped it as a two Max FA's plan. It's not. Cap Flexibility has always been the plan, because it gives you options, one of which is max FA's. To put all your hope into the 2010 FA though...bad idea.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
SuperflyKnick
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#24 » by SuperflyKnick » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:34 am

KnicksMetsJetsNova wrote:

as charles barkley put it, its like when the dutch bought manhattan from the native americans for 24$ worth of trinkets and beads.. thats how good those 2 deals were for us - incredible is a word to describe how donnie dumped those two, regardless of what numbers they are putting up atm

and :lol: at thinking jamal or zach could have gotten us more value, funny they were virtually untradeable to most on here like 2 weeks before we dealt em, now we could have gotten more? damn you people are never satisfied..

Everyone in the league is tradeable.... there is just a certain time... now ur trying to tell me that if we had waited for a better deal and then Kaman went down and LA knowing camby is brittle LA wudnt have coughed up more in a deal for Randolf who was avg 22, 12 then a tim thomas and mobley.....
SuperflyKnick
Head Coach
And1: 1,072

Post#25 » by SuperflyKnick » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:44 am

Paeds wrote:

really? I havent seen people laughing at all. In Fact I have read numerous times that FA's would want to play in NY.

Yea thats why punks like Kenyon Martin have been singling us out saying we suck... we were the only team to trade for a fat player in curry and give up expirings and lotto pks for him.... only team to sign jeffries and james to long term deals...... even if this was mostly isiahs mess it still sticks to us till is is completely gone.....
drj
Analyst
And1: 71

Post#26 » by drj » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:03 am

j4remi wrote:No it's not. Show me where Walsh said "I want two max FA's." He wants the cap flexibility so that signing two max FA's is an option. To say "we want two max FA's" is foolish and bad business. That takes away any opportunity to negotiate and after Bron, the rest of the pack might not have Max value with the way the recession has gone (I'm looking at the MLB off season when I say this). The media has hyped it as a two Max FA's plan. It's not. Cap Flexibility has always been the plan, because it gives you options, one of which is max FA's. To put all your hope into the 2010 FA though...bad idea.

Well I disagree with you about the wisdom of aiming for two max FAs. I'd rather go for it all and create the chance to form a championship caliber team (e.g. LeBron and Bosh), than be afraid to gamble and settle for mediocrity instead.

But I don't think we're disagreeing about our current capspace plans. You say that Walsh "wants the cap flexibility so that signing two max FAs is an option." I'm saying that we don't yet have that cap flexibility. We still need to move Jeffries or Curry to reach this position. That's why we are not done.
Paeds
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#27 » by Paeds » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:33 pm

SuperflyKnick wrote:
Paeds wrote:

Yea thats why punks like Kenyon Martin have been singling us out saying we suck... we were the only team to trade for a fat player in curry and give up expirings and lotto pks for him.... only team to sign jeffries and james to long term deals...... even if this was mostly isiahs mess it still sticks to us till is is completely gone.....

Right Kmart is Punk, whats your point? Curry trade was years ago and he isnt playing. And the Great GM Paxson that traded him has Sucked with multiple draft picks and is rumor to be resigning.

Only team to sign Jeffries and James to long term deals? U do know Jeffries was offered a long contract from Washington right?

James doesnt play, do you think other teams care about that? There are plenty of players signed to MLE Deals that arent doing jack.

In Fact Toronto just traded for one yesterday

So what?
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,964

Post#28 » by Deeeez Knicks » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:09 pm

I like Watson. He's unspectacular, but solid. Good defender, plays under control. I think he would play well with Gallo off the bench too. We need another guy like that to balance off all the nutiness that Al brings.

So if we can get him and the Spurs pick in that deal I would def do it. Fills a short term need and we get a pick.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce

Return to New York Knicks