ImageImageImageImageImage

Mobleys contract???

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

klemen4
Head Coach
And1: 1,927

Mobleys contract??? 

Post#1 » by klemen4 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:40 pm

I have questions regarding Mobleys contract:

Cuttino Mobley
$8,925,000 08/09
$9,500,000 09/10

If Im not mistaken, Mobley will get all of the remaining two years and $18.9 million left on his contract through insurance, though the Knicks might have to pay some of it.

Now a question?

Does contract stay on NY roster for next season and counts in salary tax, but insurance pays a big part of it?
I think yes.

Can it be traded?
I think yes.

The thing is, if this is the same situation as Snows or Lafrentz(insurance covering 100% and 80% of salaries) this could be a golden wild card to get rid of Jeffries or even Curry.

A team like Washington will be around 9 mio over luxury tax in 09/10 and there is not a lot of option to get under the cap. If NY trades mobley contract+Jeffries( for lets say Thomas/James) they save 9.5 mio, because of the insurance, ok they will still be 9 mio over...but where could they get a better deal.
“The only important statistic is the final score.” — Bill Russell
KNEMESIS
Veteran
And1: 2

Re: Mobleys contract??? 

Post#2 » by KNEMESIS » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:55 pm

If I'm not mistaken it's been mentioned before that Donnie will look to move Mobley's contract this summer.
Really? Jared Jeffries. Seriously?
NoLayupRule
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 10,871

Post#3 » by NoLayupRule » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:58 pm

yes, all those things are true.

we can still package Mobly's contract this summer or next year too. And we have 1 yr from the trade to use our trade exceptions as well
kosmovitelli
RealGM
And1: 429

Post#4 » by kosmovitelli » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:23 pm

klemen4 wrote:Does contract stay on NY roster for next season and counts in salary tax, but insurance pays a big part of it?
I think yes.

Walsh said two weeks ago Mobley was still on the roster and he was keeping him in case he needed him at the deadline. Walsh added "there's no rush to waive Mobley".

Now that we released 2 roster with our trade with the Bulls, there's no reason to waive Mobley yet.

klemen4 wrote:Can it be traded?
I think yes.

Yes. The contract can be traded. The other team will just trade for the contract and waive the physical. Mobley won't have to show up. One important thing to understand if Mobley's traded to another team, that team will save money because insurance pays 80% but the salary will still count against the cap and the luxury tax. Only Mobley's original team (the Knicks) can petition the league for cap relief for Mobley.

klemen4 wrote:The thing is, if this is the same situation as Snows or Lafrentz(insurance covering 100% and 80% of salaries) this could be a golden wild card to get rid of Jeffries or even Curry.

Same situation as Snow. Insurance covers 80%. Lafrentz but he did not retire yet but it's the same as 80% of his salary is paid by insurance.
Mobley's contract could be an asset but I don't think it will help use move Curry or Jeffries as Mobley's contract will still count against the cap and the luxury tax.

Mobley retired in december so technically the Knicks could petition the league for cap relief next december (one year after the injury) but I doubt the league will agree. As Mobleynever played for us, the NBA will probably argue (just like with the Disabled Player Exception) the injury happened with the Clippers and technically Mobley's original team is the Clippers and not the Knicks.

Here's what the CBA says about it :

6) Only the Team with which the player was under Contract at the time his career-ending injury or illness became known or reasonably should have become known shall be permitted to apply to have the player’s Salary excluded from Team Salary pursuant to this Section 4(h).

As his career ending injury happened with the Clippers, I doubt we can petition the league for cap relief next december but it ain't a big deal for us.
klemen4
Head Coach

Post#5 » by klemen4 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:23 pm

That is a great option:

$9,500,000 Cuttino Mobley
$6,049,400 Jared Jeffries

Now the best way is to find two players with contract in range 14 mio to 17 mio. For the opposing team it is better they are closer to 17 mio (Savings in salary cap).

I found only 5 options:

15,364,240 Thomas/James/Pecherov
20,000,000 Oneil (one more player included from NY)
16,500,000 Miler/Cardinal
14,910,000 Simmons/Hasell
14,000,000 Ben Wallace

Washington is favorite being 9 mio over the cap, Oneil could be option (Pho will be 7 mio over the cap) if one of the(Chandler, Gallinari, Nate) would be included.

Not a lot of possibilities.
kosmovitelli
RealGM
And1: 429

Post#6 » by kosmovitelli » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:26 pm

KNEMESIS wrote:If I'm not mistaken it's been mentioned before that Donnie will look to move Mobley's contract this summer.

You're mistaken ! Donnie said he was keeping Mobley until the trade deadline, he never talked about next summer.

That said, as we already released two roster spots with the Bulls trade, there's no reason to waive Mobley at this point so he will probably stay on the roster until next summer. He may also be kept until the trade deadline next year.
klemen4
Head Coach

Post#7 » by klemen4 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:30 pm

Washington intrigues me the most. They have $75,906,170 comited to 14 players for next season, now add to that top 5 draft pick (3.8 to 4.8 mio) and the will be at 80-81 mio.

That is why this years trade deadline option of Rose/Jeffries for Thomas/James was great for them.

Return to New York Knicks