ImageImageImageImageImage

Wilcox For 5 Million, Or Lee For 10 Million?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,313

Re: Wilcox or Lee? 

Post#41 » by duetta » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:08 am

nykgeneralmanager wrote:And why do people complain about players who are "system players"? Isn't that the point of basketball, to find the right players that fit your system? I don't see how it is a bad thing that a player thrives in the system in which he plays, but that's just me.

No, the idea is to prefer players who refuse to fit into anyone system, and but pimp their athleticism like like a hooker shaking her assets in front in every prospective John.
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#42 » by kamaze » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:10 am

Wilcox is better for center and Dntoni doesn't like Lee he's a goner.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
Assassin_1
Banned User
And1: 3
Location: Running up in your spot faster than CJ from San Andreas

Post#43 » by Assassin_1 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:31 am

KOA wrote:Just goes to show you how easy it will be to replace David Lee.

Lee is a easy replacement, he is a product of D'Antoni's system and Wilcox will be too and people he want to hand out a 10 million dollar contract to him when I doubt a team will give him anything above 5 million in the off-season.
next2spike
Veteran
And1: 34

Post#44 » by next2spike » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:23 am

my main point was do you sign wilcox for 5 mill, or david lee for 10. and my the looks of it, if we were to keep wilcox and not lee, there is just a slight slant, but I don't see much. We'll see in the upcoming games. And to who said I'm not bright, jordan4life...., I just misguided my post, so watch your mouth. If Lee makes commercials saying he's a blue-collar guy, yet doesn't box out on every possession, esp. the key ones, maybe he needs to change that up.
Clyde2
Senior
And1: 0

Re: Wilcox For 5 Million, Or Lee For 10 Million? 

Post#45 » by Clyde2 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:33 am

Sign them both. Wilcox can be C and Lee is PF. Forget Bosh. Wilcox replaces Jefferies who may end up in Washington this summer.
Knick Fan since last championship. We know that was a LONG time ago.
kosmovitelli
RealGM
And1: 429

Post#46 » by kosmovitelli » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:41 am

j4remi wrote:The question isn't is Wilcox better than Lee...But would you rather have Wilcox for 5 million or Lee for 10? It's a tough one to answer until we see more of Wilcox though.

It depends if Wilcox resigns for one more year or if he wants a long contract. The numbers aren't that important, it's the flexibility in 2010. If you let David Lee walk as a free agent (or trade him) because he wants too much money then it's pretty stupid to let Wilcox eat $5M of our cap in 2010. The only reason to pick Wilcox over Lee would be because Wilcox may accept a one year contract while Lee will look for at least a 3 yr contract. So the question should be one year of Wilcox at $5M (Lee traded for draft picks and more flexibility in 2010) or 6 years of Lee at $10M.

I think Wilcox may have been acquired as insurance in case we can't retain David Lee. Not the main reason he was acquired but it could have played a role too in the decision.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,478

Post#47 » by j4remi » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:15 am

next2spike wrote:my main point was do you sign wilcox for 5 mill, or david lee for 10. and my the looks of it, if we were to keep wilcox and not lee, there is just a slight slant, but I don't see much. We'll see in the upcoming games. And to who said I'm not bright, jordan4life...., I just misguided my post, so watch your mouth. If Lee makes commercials saying he's a blue-collar guy, yet doesn't box out on every possession, esp. the key ones, maybe he needs to change that up.

Way to take my lead and not give a shout out :P
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
next2spike
Veteran
And1: 34

Post#48 » by next2spike » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:24 am

j4remi wrote:
next2spike wrote:my main point was do you sign wilcox for 5 mill, or david lee for 10. and my the looks of it, if we were to keep wilcox and not lee, there is just a slight slant, but I don't see much. We'll see in the upcoming games. And to who said I'm not bright, jordan4life...., I just misguided my post, so watch your mouth. If Lee makes commercials saying he's a blue-collar guy, yet doesn't box out on every possession, esp. the key ones, maybe he needs to change that up.

Way to take my lead and not give a shout out :P

i was trying to get to that in my first post, but I didn't. I was looking as you helping me out. J4REMI WITH THE CO-HELP! :lol:
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,660

Post#49 » by cgf » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:43 am

You sign Lee for 8 and see what wilcox will take a one year deal for. Then if wilcox is suddenly starts developing his game you trade lee next season.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
uapeople
Senior
And1: 0

Post#50 » by uapeople » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:47 am

cgf wrote:You sign Lee for 8 and see what wilcox will take a one year deal for. Then if wilcox is suddenly starts developing his game you trade lee next season.

absolutely. 1 dunk and 2 rebounds and he's as good as lee?
richardhutnik
Banned User
And1: 10

Re: Wilcox > Lee 

Post#51 » by richardhutnik » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:51 am

Sonics-FAN wrote:
richardhutnik wrote:NO! Knock it off.

Please stop with this going over the top. Wilcox was active out there, but he was acquired for Malik Rose and cash.

- Rich

Marcus Camby got traded for a second round pick. I agree that this is going over the top, but the fact he got traded for a scrub/cash doesn't mean he's equal to it.

Yes, and that draft pick, or a better one from the Nuggets, will come back as a result of the Balkman trade.

So, are you arguing now that Wilcox = Camby? I find this thread absurd. Wilcox showed some activity and now he is supposed to replace Lee?

By the way, simple point here. If Wilcox is supposed to be that great of a replacement, then why won't he command nearly the same money Lee will in the offseason?

- Rich
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - G. Marx
mjhp911
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14

Post#52 » by mjhp911 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:56 am

The knock on Wilcox is his consistency. He had a good game today. Lee has been improving every year. 'Cost effective'? Maybe. Let's see how he does over the long haul first.
Governor Dudley
Starter
And1: 624

Post#53 » by Governor Dudley » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:00 am

i think some of the posters here just randomly smash their fists on their keyboards, and topics like these randomly generate.

how else could people possibly come up with this nonsense.
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,002

Post#54 » by R-DAWG » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:57 am

cgf wrote:You sign Lee for 8 and see what wilcox will take a one year deal for. Then if wilcox is suddenly starts developing his game you trade lee next season.

What if Lee signs an offer Sheet for $10m and the deal spikes in 2010. So lets say he signs a 5-yr/$50m deal that breaks down like 10/12/10/8/8 (that team can structure the contract that way i think in order to make it hard for NY to match). Then the Knicks either match and screw up the 2010 plan or lose Lee for nothing.
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#55 » by Knicksfan20 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:34 am

next2spike wrote:I said it's one game, I know, but I see what Wilcox brings that is greater than what Lee does, if he plays like he did today. Honestly, I don't like Bosh's game for that amount of money.

STFU

If Chandler played like he did 2 games ago..and averaged 32 points a game...there would be no point in getting lebron either

you are an idiot, stop posting...
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,313

Post#56 » by duetta » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:43 am

R-DAWG wrote:What if Lee signs an offer Sheet for $10m and the deal spikes in 2010. So lets say he signs a 5-yr/$50m deal that breaks down like 10/12/10/8/8 (that team can structure the contract that way i think in order to make it hard for NY to match). Then the Knicks either match and screw up the 2010 plan or lose Lee for nothing.

Given Lee's stated desire to remain in NY, and his agent's recent comments that Lee would resign with the Knicks, why would he do that? Has he ever said that he wants to leave? Those are the actions of a player who wants to leave.

This thread reminds of the Harrington euphoria that swept the board after his few games. How many posters want to keep Harrington now. But sure, lets let Lee walk so that we can free up all the cap room that's possible, so that we sign Bosh for $18 million or Amare - and then wish them gone shortly thereafter, but not be able to move them.
nyknicks2k2
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 573

Post#57 » by nyknicks2k2 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:43 am

R-DAWG wrote:

What if Lee signs an offer Sheet for $10m and the deal spikes in 2010. So lets say he signs a 5-yr/$50m deal that breaks down like 10/12/10/8/8 (that team can structure the contract that way i think in order to make it hard for NY to match). Then the Knicks either match and screw up the 2010 plan or lose Lee for nothing.

That kind of contract structure cannot happen. Contracts either go up via a set percentage or down via a set percentage.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,660

Post#58 » by cgf » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:51 pm

R-DAWG wrote:

A) Detroit and Memphis are the only teams who'll be sufficiently under the cap to make David such an offer, he's already rebuked Memphis and detroit has amir johnson and jason maxiell recently signed to play david's position

B) David Lee is not as valuable as J Smoove, who was only able to garner a 10 million dollar per year contract after weeks of little to no progress in a much more positive economic climate with a greater market for his services as more teams found themselves under the cap.

So simply put I don't think that offer is in play for DLee. I think it's much more likely he takes the QO and tries his luck again in 2010 if he's really insistent about getting that 10 per number.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
kosmovitelli
RealGM
And1: 429

Post#59 » by kosmovitelli » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:20 pm

nyknicks2k2 wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:

That kind of contract structure cannot happen. Contracts either go up via a set percentage or down via a set percentage.

You're right and wrong :

- right because a 5yr contract with an annual salary of 10/12/10/8/8 can't exist in the NBA, for a player with Bird rights it can only be 10.5% increase (or decrease) so if the starting salary is $10M then the max raise (or decrease) is $1,050,000 so at best the salary in the second season would be $11,050,000 and not $12M.

- wrong because contracts can go up AND down
For example, if the contract starts at $10M and it's for 6 years, you can have several possibilities as you can see in my chart below :

- Example 1 : maximum raise every year
- Example 2 : maximum decrease every year
- Example 3 : alternate maximum decrease and maximum increase
- Example 4 : alternate increase and decrease but not with the maximum, different amount every year : you're free to pick the amount you want as long as it doesn't exceed 10.5% of the starting salary ($1,050,000)

Return to New York Knicks