ImageImageImageImageImage

Tkf's keys to the win....

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 38,214

Re: Tkf's keys to the win.... 

Post#21 » by KnicksGod » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:05 am

Fair enough - a team focused and playing great ball is the most mature thing. Losing this game is the least (and is what they used to do). So I guess I think it's a small, intermediate sign of maturity.

I think that the Knicks just do not play good enough defense to impose their will. When the game started, the Pacers were a mess and looked like a team that had 3 of its best players out. But the Knicks were playing their usual porous D, and EVERY NBA team has enough talent to get into a groove if you let them feel comfortable out there.
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#22 » by HEZI » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:10 am

TKF wrote:do you notice gallo gets fouls covering for his teamates blown coverages. he got one on murphy which looked like a clean block because someone blew an assignment.... but right now gallo's shot is off, but he isn't getting many looks and touches, so it is hard to stay sharp that way.. He did get 3 boards and he is moving well it seems. Hughes hasn't played in2 months and he looks horrible, if anything, hughes needs to earn his time..

Yeah I know exactly what your talking about. And when he is forced to go help on a blown assignment, he actually does well. He surprised me because Im thinking its a wide open layup we are giving up and then he comes in and makes a clean play on the ball. Yesterday was the same thing when Joey Graham went to the basket and had a wide open reverse dunk and Gallo came in the picture and contested it. His wingspan is what has shocked me the most. People can talk about how he isnt athletic and cant jump, but then you watch him play and you see how long his arms are and it surprises me that hes able to contest shots without jumping that high at all. And that play your talking about, well that was Hughes who left his man wide open in the corner and the ball came inside the paint and Gallo had to contest it. His shot isnt falling but like you said he needs more touches. People quickly forgot Nate Robinson earlier this year couldnt hit a jumper to save his life but he bounced back. Plus with how many shots guys like Harrington, QRich and Nate take a night, ofcourse they will get some to fall. Give Gallo the same amount of shots and ofcourse he will drain some.
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
StutterStep
RealGM
And1: 58

Post#23 » by StutterStep » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:10 am

duhon: looked like du du as some of you call him , 4/5 with 6 turnovers. his game has fallen off the map.. he is not setting guys up, not making shots or smart decisions. He is starting to look like a real backup right now.. needs to snap out of it...

This is the du-dude I worried about. I've been missing the first 3 quarters of night games because of a new work schedule I thought we were going in the tank so I didn't fret but now I think I might have to talk to "the man"! :D

The last quarter we blew a 10pt lead with the swiftness. End of the game with like 4minutes left, I have no idea why MikeD did not find a way to put Wilcox back in for intimidation. Since I missed so much, I can't tell what the rotation was, but our defense was that bad that the coach should have put either Wilcox or Jeffries back in the game.
HEZI
RealGM

Post#24 » by HEZI » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:14 am

KnicksGod wrote:Fair enough - a team focused and playing great ball is the most mature thing. Losing this game is the least (and is what they used to do). So I guess I think it's a small, intermediate sign of maturity.

I think that the Knicks just do not play good enough defense to impose their will. When the game started, the Pacers were a mess and looked like a team that had 3 of its best players out. But the Knicks were playing their usual porous D, and EVERY NBA team has enough talent to get into a groove if you let them feel comfortable out there.

The f*cked up part is, the Knicks can actually play some great defense when they feel like it. The problem is that they play down to their opponent. When we were beating the good teams last month, we did it with our defense that set the tone for our offense. Now guys are simply trying to outshoot other teams without caring too much about defense.
DENVER NUGGETS
StutterStep
RealGM
And1: 58

Post#25 » by StutterStep » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:15 am

LJ4pointplay wrote:Let's give it up for Nate.. he's been on an all NBA type level the last handful of games, and something it seems loike nobody ever brings up.. the guy had eight boards tonight, it's amazing how he's twice the rebounder Crawford was despite being 9 inches shorter.

That is the elephant in the room. Except for a few true Nate fans, most are scared that he will get a contract and David will be a goner.
!nstinct
Starter
And1: 0

Post#26 » by !nstinct » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:15 am

I still dont understand why you guys complain when you see the Knicks not playing defense. Again, this team is being coach by Mike antoni, the guy who is famously known for "no defense" - so please stop the crying when you see the Knicks not playing defense.

We have lost games this year, but this is by far the worse. Because we played poorly against a poor team without their best players. Its like we always need a reason to play hard.

People need to give Hughes a break. He is new to the team and can be a lot of help if he gets comofortable. He actually play defense after he shoots the ball.

You can say Nate gave us the win, but I think 'time' did - Jack ran out of time.
HEZI
RealGM

Post#27 » by HEZI » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:19 am

!nstinct wrote:I still dont understand why you guys complain when you see the Knicks not playing defense. Again, this team is being coach by Mike antoni, the guy who is famously known for "no defense" - so please stop the crying when you see the Knicks not playing defense.

We have lost games this year, but this is by far the worse. Because we played poorly against a poor team without their best players. Its like we always need a reason to play hard.

People need to give Hughes a break. He is new to the team and can be a lot of help if he gets comofortable. He actually play defense after he shoots the ball.

You can say Nate gave us the win, but I think 'time' did - Jack ran out of time.

Im so tired of people saying Dantoni doesnt care about defense. If thats the case then why the hell does he have Jarred Jeffries in the starting lineup every game? Dont tell me because hes tall, he doesnt play tall, so thats not why. Its not because of his offense, so why does Mike Dantoni start him if he didnt care about defense?
DENVER NUGGETS
!nstinct
Starter

Post#28 » by !nstinct » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:34 am

SMAC-K wrote:
!nstinct wrote:I still dont understand why you guys complain when you see the Knicks not playing defense. Again, this team is being coach by Mike antoni, the guy who is famously known for "no defense" - so please stop the crying when you see the Knicks not playing defense.

Im so tired of people saying Dantoni doesnt care about defense. If thats the case then why the hell does he have Jarred Jeffries in the starting lineup every game? Dont tell me because hes tall, he doesnt play tall, so thats not why. Its not because of his offense, so why does Mike Dantoni start him if he didnt care about defense?

You are telling me that Mike antoni wants to play defense while running up and down the court? If so, then why didnt he ask to keep M. Collins or play J. James? We all know Collins is known for great defense and James has size and can block shots. Instead of signing Robertson, why didnt he sign a big man? Even now, with the roster spots.

If he believes so much in Jeffries defense, why doesnt he play more than 30 minutes? Especially on a game one player was killing us. Jeffries played only 22 minutes out of 48 - not even half of the game. SMH
HEZI
RealGM

Post#29 » by HEZI » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:48 am

!nstinct wrote:You are telling me that Mike antoni wants to play defense while running up and down the court? If so, then why didnt he ask to keep M. Collins or play J. James? We all know Collins is known for great defense and James has size and can block shots. Instead of signing Robertson, why didnt he sign a big man? Even now, with the roster spots.

If he believes so much in Jeffries defense, why doesnt he play more than 30 minutes? Especially on a game one player was killing us. Jeffries played only 22 minutes out of 48 - not even half of the game. SMH

Mardy Collins got traded because the Clippers wanted him, and he wasnt going to stop us from shedding Zach Randolph off the cap for 2010. But when Mardy was here, Mike Dantoni loved what he brought to the table, but guys like Mardy Collins are not hard to find and like I said he wasnt going to stop the salary dump. Jerome James? Are you kidding me? You do know that the Bulls didnt even request a physical from him, right? They approved the trade without a care in the world whether he can play or not, but James cant even tie his shoe laces without losing breath and you wanted him to play? :lol:

We signed Roberson because he impressed in summer league and practice. We didnt sign a bigman because there were none on our radar. The guys we had in summer league all sucked, nobody really stood out other than Roberson.

Jeffries doesnt play more because hes such a liability on offense.
DENVER NUGGETS
defjux21
Analyst
And1: 85

Post#30 » by defjux21 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:56 am

I'm just glad that we officially have more wins now than we did all of last season.
!nstinct
Starter

Post#31 » by !nstinct » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:59 am

SMAC-K wrote:
!nstinct wrote:You are telling me that Mike antoni wants to play defense while running up and down the court? If so, then why didnt he ask to keep M. Collins or play J. James? We all know Collins is known for great defense and James has size and can block shots. Instead of signing Robertson, why didnt he sign a big man? Even now, with the roster spots.

Mardy Collins got traded because the Clippers wanted him, and he wasnt going to stop us from shedding Zach Randolph off the cap for 2010. But when Mardy was here, Mike Dantoni loved what he brought to the table, but guys like Mardy Collins are not hard to find and like I said he wasnt going to stop the salary dump. Jerome James? Are you kidding me? You do know that the Bulls didnt even request a physical from him, right? They approved the trade without a care in the world whether he can play or not, but James cant even tie his shoe laces without losing breath and you wanted him to play? :lol:

We signed Roberson because he impressed in summer league and practice. We didnt sign a bigman because there were none on our radar. The guys we had in summer league all sucked, nobody really stood out other than Roberson.

Thats what I was saying all along. Mike antoni will play you if your offense is better than your defense. So, if we had a guy like Bruce Bowen in this team, he would never get playing time. But a guy like B. Gordon would get enough minutes for his grand kids.

Very funny about James and his shoes, lol. Come on, you know he would never get to play under Mike. The guy just put offense over defense and the margin is way too big.
AyAsiB KNICKS
Starter

Post#32 » by AyAsiB KNICKS » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:10 am

passthedutchman wrote:maybe the trade for hughes is in his head a little bit? duhon lost his job to hughes in chicago and now we bring him in as a backup pg- maybe he's looking over his shoulder or something.

yikes!
passthedutchman
Junior

Post#33 » by passthedutchman » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:11 am

!nstinct wrote:
SMAC-K wrote:

Thats what I was saying all along. Mike antoni will play you if your offense is better than your defense. So, if we had a guy like Bruce Bowen in this team, he would never get playing time. But a guy like B. Gordon would get enough minutes for his grand kids.

Very funny about James and his shoes, lol. Come on, you know he would never get to play under Mike. The guy just put offense over defense and the margin is way too big.

I think the fact that Jeffries plays at all pretty much refutes your theory. Also D'Antoni doesn't make the trades, Walsh does. But even if he did, then why would he trade two all-offense no-defense types like Randolph and Crawford? Malik, Mardy and Jerome didn't play because they sucked. Cheikh Samb might be a defensive guy that we sign. anyway did we play defense before D'antoni? A supposed defensive coach like Larry Brown couldn't get them to play defense, what makes you think any coach can? I think that's pretty much on the players at that point.
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 116

Post#34 » by TKF » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:14 am

KnicksGod wrote:Fair enough - a team focused and playing great ball is the most mature thing. Losing this game is the least (and is what they used to do). So I guess I think it's a small, intermediate sign of maturity.

very true, and that is how you get jack and daniels combining for 61 points... just should not happen... not to a team, "talking" playoffs..
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by TKF » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:17 am

SMAC-K wrote:
TKF wrote:do you notice gallo gets fouls covering for his teamates blown coverages. he got one on murphy which looked like a clean block because someone blew an assignment.... but right now gallo's shot is off, but he isn't getting many looks and touches, so it is hard to stay sharp that way.. He did get 3 boards and he is moving well it seems. Hughes hasn't played in2 months and he looks horrible, if anything, hughes needs to earn his time..

Yeah I know exactly what your talking about. And when he is forced to go help on a blown assignment, he actually does well. He surprised me because Im thinking its a wide open layup we are giving up and then he comes in and makes a clean play on the ball. Yesterday was the same thing when Joey Graham went to the basket and had a wide open reverse dunk and Gallo came in the picture and contested it. His wingspan is what has shocked me the most. People can talk about how he isnt athletic and cant jump, but then you watch him play and you see how long his arms are and it surprises me that hes able to contest shots without jumping that high at all. And that play your talking about, well that was Hughes who left his man wide open in the corner and the ball came inside the paint and Gallo had to contest it. His shot isnt falling but like you said he needs more touches. People quickly forgot Nate Robinson earlier this year couldnt hit a jumper to save his life but he bounced back. Plus with how many shots guys like Harrington, QRich and Nate take a night, ofcourse they will get some to fall. Give Gallo the same amount of shots and ofcourse he will drain some.

his wingspan is impressive. That is what I said the other game where he got that dunk on the break.. he barely jumps. He is so long, he can finish a dunk with little jumping... and when he puts everything together, he is going to be such a tough cover because of those things. You just can't teach, height and length... He needs to be more involved, I think he can really help us win some games..
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by TKF » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:27 am

!nstinct wrote:
SMAC-K wrote:

You are telling me that Mike antoni wants to play defense while running up and down the court? If so, then why didnt he ask to keep M. Collins or play J. James? We all know Collins is known for great defense and James has size and can block shots. Instead of signing Robertson, why didnt he sign a big man? Even now, with the roster spots.

the Dantoni doesn't care about defense talk is really lame.. it is.. to say he doesn't care about defense because he likes running up and down the court is ridiculous... It is like saying someone who has a drop dead gorgeous wife, doesn't care about "personality"... it really has become lame... He plays jeffries not because he is a great offensive player, just in case you missed that..

why didnt he ask to keep M. Collins or play J. James? We all know Collins is known for great defense and James has size and can block shots.

James didn't play because james is useless, and mardy is not a GREAT defensive player. Dantoni had better options. Simple and plain... You have to balance a team with guys who can score the ball as well as defend their position. We start wilson who is a good defender, and a good offensive player, we start duhon, and jeffries. All of these guys defend... So I don't get your point.. If you feel he should start mardy and Jerome james, in order to prove he cares about defense, then I ask you to donate all of your money, every penny you have to "feed the children" to show that you have a heart... sounds a little irrational, doesn't it?
nyknicks09
RealGM
And1: 3,215

Post#37 » by nyknicks09 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:55 am

We are still inconsistent. Nice way to finish the game but we all know that the Pacers play poor defense. Our defense was horrible but at the end of this game. Mike D'Antoni's offense lacks on managing the shot clock. We need to use the shot clock better late on the 4th quarter. I can understand focusing on the offense but we need to adapt at playing defense on the 4th quarter, specially if we make the playoffs. I like the fact that we were attacking the basket instead of taking low percentage shots late on the 4th quarter. I'm very concern about our defense and I hope we can address that this summer.
New York Knicks
nyk2423
Analyst
And1: 4

Post#38 » by nyk2423 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:47 am

Why didnt Q play? Is he hurt or is he finally out of the rotation?
HEZI
RealGM

Post#39 » by HEZI » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:47 am

!nstinct wrote:Thats what I was saying all along. Mike antoni will play you if your offense is better than your defense. So, if we had a guy like Bruce Bowen in this team, he would never get playing time. But a guy like B. Gordon would get enough minutes for his grand kids.

Ok Jeffries is a nice defensive player at times, but hes not this lock down defender who you play no matter what his offensive game looks like. Jeffries still gets murdered on defense depending on his matchups, hes nowhere near being any kind of stopper, and when you combine that with his offensive game or lack there of, then you know why he plays only 20 minutes a game.

Then you say Bruce Bowen would never play for Dantoni, but explain to me Raja Bell in Phoenix. Why did Dantoni start him and always raved about him and his defense and how much he helped them especially when they needed him to guard Kobe. Raja Bell was Phoenix's Bruce Bowen, he would knock down open threes, but his main role was guarding other teams best perimeter player, so your going nowhere with your argument at this point.

And you honestly believe Jerome James wouldnt get to play for Dantoni because Dantoni doesnt like defense? Sorry but when did Jerome James become this great defender and also when did Jerome James give Dantoni any reason to play him? Was it when he came into training camp overweight? Was it when he kept getting injured in practice by picking his nose? Dude, Jerome James was fat and his old body couldnt support the weight and physical activity like playing basketball and he couldnt stay healthy, face it, the guy didnt give a shyt and nobody would play him, not even because he sucks but because he couldnt stay healthy and was out of shape.

Also explain to me Steven Hunter and Brian Skinner. Why did Mike Dantoni play them when he was in Phoenix? Couldnt be because of their offense, so why else?
DENVER NUGGETS
HEZI
RealGM

Post#40 » by HEZI » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:49 am

nyk2423 wrote:Why didnt Q play? Is he hurt or is he finally out of the rotation?

Unfortunately it was because he was injured.
DENVER NUGGETS

Return to New York Knicks