ImageImageImageImageImage

Increasing Curry's Trade Value...Wiretap

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

TheBluest
Banned User
And1: 8
Location: Lottery Bound...Banned From UK 2-11-09 @ 12:30 am by Martin LOL!

Increasing Curry's Trade Value...Wiretap 

Post#1 » by TheBluest » Tue Mar 3, 2009 12:03 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Look everyone and there mom knows we want to dump Curry. Heck Curry has to feel at this point and we're going to treat him like Whale Flesh hanging from a 6Ton Chinese Boat Anchor.

I'd wager in the tough economy the NBA is in all teams knowing we need to dump him for Cap space no way makes a trade for him. If we play him he'd have to rival/better the numbers he put up in 2006-2007 to even have a remote chance of being moved by himself. Keep in mind Zach and Jamal were balling out of control and were traded for really nothing of real value. I don't see Curry having production anywhere close to those two and if so we're talking about a slow it down, dump it to Curry, fall behind early, turnovers, 3sec violations, offensive fouls, team in the penalty, poor start to games, poor start to season and a frustrated Pringles. Not only does Curry have to produce we have to win games. The only way he goes if Nate or Lee accompany him and even this is a stretch considering it's adding a lot of salary to a team's payroll.

If WALSHED UP will consider trading Nate and/or Effries again uhhhhhhhhh doesn't this idea go against Lee being our sacrificial lamb according to a thread started just yesterday putting fans on notice he's a goner?
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,429

Re: Increasing Curry's Trade Value...Wiretap 

Post#2 » by duetta » Tue Mar 3, 2009 12:09 am

TheBluest wrote:If WALSHED UP will consider trading Nate and/or Effries again uhhhhhhhhh doesn't this idea go against Lee being our sacrificial lamb according to a thread started just yesterday putting fans on notice he's a goner?

You noticed.

Anybody else hear D'Antoni last week describe how much more comfortable he's becoming with the idea of Gallo as a defensive SF? I'm thinking Lee at PF, Gallo at SF, Chandler getting minutes at both and behind Hughes at the SG.
TheBluest
Banned User
And1: 8
Location: Lottery Bound...Banned From UK 2-11-09 @ 12:30 am by Martin LOL!

Post#3 » by TheBluest » Tue Mar 3, 2009 12:19 am

duetta wrote:
TheBluest wrote:If WALSHED UP will consider trading Nate and/or Effries again uhhhhhhhhh doesn't this idea go against Lee being our sacrificial lamb according to a thread started just yesterday putting fans on notice he's a goner?

You noticed.

Anybody else hear D'Antoni last week describe how much more comfortable he's becoming with the idea of Gallo as a defensive SF? I'm thinking Lee at PF, Gallo at SF, Chandler getting minutes at both and behind Hughes at the SG.

We were told when we drafted Gallo he's our 4. So now he's a 3? I thought D'AnTony Gwynn told us Chandler has untapped star potential? Let's be real here Chandler is better than Gallo and has more star potential IMO.

Who knows when we're told so many different things throughout the yr.
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,011

Post#4 » by R-DAWG » Tue Mar 3, 2009 12:26 am

I dont think the name "D'Antoni" and the word "Defense" should be mentioned in the same sentence. What the Knicks really need to do is hire Tom Thibodeau from the Celtics as an assistant coach and let him run the defense. Overpay if you have to.

Back to Curry: 2 years ago, Eddy put up 19.5ppg/7rpg and was a threat in the low post. Bringing in Randolph completley runined him, he then became injured and unmotivated. But there is no denying the fact that when he is in shape, he is one of the better low post scorers in this league. Will we get much in terms of value for him...no. But if we get him back and playing decent ball, a team with a defensive minded big who isnt great offensivly and in need of a 2nd or 3rd option that can draw double teams in the post might be willing to take on an extra year contract and take a chance on Curry for an expiring.
alphad0gz
Analyst
And1: 405

No way you can compare Gallo to Chandler 

Post#5 » by alphad0gz » Tue Mar 3, 2009 12:26 am

At this point, you have to wait until Gallo is playing 25+m a game, which will happen next year. My guess is Chandler will be good but Gallo will be better....significantly.
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,429

Post#6 » by duetta » Tue Mar 3, 2009 12:33 am

I also believe that if they can get Curry in legit NBA shape by next season, he can either be traded or become an asset in the system. Everybody is incredibly down on him, but if Jerome James could be traded, so can Eddy.
TrueWarrior
RealGM
And1: 8,161

Post#7 » by TrueWarrior » Tue Mar 3, 2009 12:34 am

The Knicks are one big conspiracy according to you man. Did you ever think that people change their minds once in a while too? For the most part Walsh has done exactly what he said he would. Get under the cap in 2010 while trying remain competitive now. We've done both. You keep harping on quotes and all this junk like they mean something.
Brownsville's Finest
Lead Assistant
And1: 12

Post#8 » by Brownsville's Finest » Tue Mar 3, 2009 12:34 am

TheBluest wrote:
duetta wrote:

You noticed.

We were told when we drafted Gallo he's our 4. So now he's a 3? I thought D'AnTony Gwynn told us Chandler has untapped star potential? Let's be real here Chandler is better than Gallo and has more star potential IMO.

Who knows when we're told so many different things throughout the yr.

he still wants gallo to be a 4 but hes not strong enough yet all, dantoni said was that he was pleasantly surprised that gallo can effectively guard 3s.
Big Chan
Veteran
And1: 173

Post#9 » by Big Chan » Tue Mar 3, 2009 12:35 am

I don't like Eddy, lets get that out of the way, but the idea that we will have to slow down the offense and pound it down low to him to get him involved is wrong. Yes, if you want him to score over 20 points a game you may need to throw it down to him, but why cant we run, try to score quickly, and either hit him as a trailer going to the basket (where he is the MOST effective) or after about 10 seconds throw it down to him and let him do work (like what the Suns are doing with Shaq).
Curry is a legit center who can put up numbers, and a team that has a defensive big that needs scoring will gamble on him, especially with only one more year on his contract after next year. I am pretty sure we will be able to do the same thing we did with Zach, dump curry for crap, which i will be happy with.
If Curry comes back and plays decent, he will be moved before the deadline next year.
NYKnick87
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#10 » by NYKnick87 » Tue Mar 3, 2009 12:37 am

R-DAWG wrote:I dont think the name "D'Antoni" and the word "Defense" should be mentioned in the same sentence. What the Knicks really need to do is hire Tom Thibodeau from the Celtics as an assistant coach and let him run the defense. Overpay if you have to.

Back to Curry: 2 years ago, Eddy put up 19.5ppg/7rpg and was a threat in the low post. Bringing in Randolph completley runined him, he then became injured and unmotivated. But there is no denying the fact that when he is in shape, he is one of the better low post scorers in this league. Will we get much in terms of value for him...no. But if we get him back and playing decent ball, a team with a defensive minded big who isnt great offensivly and in need of a 2nd or 3rd option that can draw double teams in the post might be willing to take on an extra year contract and take a chance on Curry for an expiring.

Tom's next gig will be as a head coach IMO. Defense isn't something that he'll fix anyway. We just don't have the requisite personnel to be a capable defensive team.

Moving Curry would be a dream come true, but he has such a long way to go both physically and mentally that I'm not sure he'll come back in time to raise his trade value. Even if he did, I doubt teams would take a chance on him.
R-DAWG
RealGM

Re: No way you can compare Gallo to Chandler 

Post#11 » by R-DAWG » Tue Mar 3, 2009 12:47 am

alphad0gz wrote:At this point, you have to wait until Gallo is playing 25+m a game, which will happen next year. My guess is Chandler will be good but Gallo will be better....significantly.

Chandler has more physical skill, athleticism, is an above average perimeter defender, leads the team in blocked shots (idk if that means much on this team), has a developing jump shot and can get to the basket. I dont think he will develop into a superstar, but maybe a broderline all-star. I think a good comparison of who I see Chandler becoming in the future is a better offensive version of James Posey. A guy who can hit an open shot and plays great defense.

Gallo I see as a guy somewhere between Keith Van Horn and Lamar Odom. He is not as athletic as Odom, but a better pure shooter. With that said, I think he can have more of an impact putting the ball on the floor than Van Horn did, although KVH might end up being a better rebounder and I think Danilo hit more 4th quarter shots last week than KVH did during his career.

I think the real issue with these 2 is defensivly. Because offesivly they fit nicley, a slasher and a shooter, but in a perfect world they would be playing 2-3 instead of 3-4. In order to make it work, you need to have a big who can defend and either Gallo or the center needs to have a low post game. If you have a center who can defend and draw double teams in the post, Gallo would be a great 4. A guy like LaMarcus Aldridge would be perfect. You then add a Wade or James via free agency and the lineup is:
C: Aldridge (acquired via sign and trade with Lee or signed as RFA in 2010)
PF: Gallinari
SF: Chandler
SG: James or Wade
PG: pass 1st guy not on the team right now
TrueWarrior
RealGM

Post#12 » by TrueWarrior » Tue Mar 3, 2009 12:58 am

R-DAWG wrote:Chandler has more physical skill, athleticism, is an above average perimeter defender, leads the team in blocked shots (idk if that means much on this team), has a developing jump shot and can get to the basket. I dont think he will develop into a superstar, but maybe a broderline all-star. I think a good comparison of who I see Chandler becoming in the future is a better offensive version of James Posey. A guy who can hit an open shot and plays great defense.

Gallo I see as a guy somewhere between Keith Van Horn and Lamar Odom. He is not as athletic as Odom, but a better pure shooter. With that said, I think he can have more of an impact putting the ball on the floor than Van Horn did, although KVH might end up being a better rebounder and I think Danilo hit more 4th quarter shots last week than KVH did during his career.

I think the real issue with these 2 is defensivly. Because offesivly they fit nicley, a slasher and a shooter, but in a perfect world they would be playing 2-3 instead of 3-4. In order to make it work, you need to have a big who can defend and either Gallo or the center needs to have a low post game. If you have a center who can defend and draw double teams in the post, Gallo would be a great 4. A guy like LaMarcus Aldridge would be perfect. You then add a Wade or James via free agency and the lineup is:

I agree. I think Gallo and Chandler complement eachother greatly on offense, but we would need a defensive center with some post moves in order to make Gallo and Chandler at the 3 and 4 work. This has been common knowledge for a while though. Gallo will fill out eventually after his back issues are gone (hopefully). Hes already a legit 6'11 and could reach 7 feet if hes still growing. His defense has also been much better than I thought, its just his lack of strength that has been hurting him for the most part. Gallo has also showed some decent rebounding so hopefully he can average around 7-8 in his prime if he plays the 4.

Basically I want to see more of Chandler and Gallo out there together. They're both unselfish and seem to have skills that mesh well but I havent seen them on the court much at the same time and given a chance to do something.
R-DAWG
RealGM

Post#13 » by R-DAWG » Tue Mar 3, 2009 1:05 am

TrueWarrior wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:Chandler has more physical skill, athleticism, is an above average perimeter defender, leads the team in blocked shots (idk if that means much on this team), has a developing jump shot and can get to the basket. I dont think he will develop into a superstar, but maybe a broderline all-star. I think a good comparison of who I see Chandler becoming in the future is a better offensive version of James Posey. A guy who can hit an open shot and plays great defense.

I agree. I think Gallo and Chandler complement eachother greatly on offense, but we would need a defensive center with some post moves in order to make Gallo and Chandler at the 3 and 4 work. This has been common knowledge for a while though. Gallo will fill out eventually after his back issues are gone (hopefully). Hes already a legit 6'11 and could reach 7 feet if hes still growing. His defense has also been much better than I thought, its just his lack of strength that has been hurting him for the most part. Gallo has also showed some decent rebounding so hopefully he can average around 7-8 in his prime if he plays the 4.

Basically I want to see more of Chandler and Gallo out there together. They're both unselfish and seem to have skills that mesh well but I havent seen them on the court much at the same time and given a chance to do something.

However. the key to having this work is to add a star player. Both guys compliment a star player well, but if your team is built around Gallo and Chandler your not going far. Weather its Wade or James in 2010 or Dwight in 2012.
TrueWarrior
RealGM

Post#14 » by TrueWarrior » Tue Mar 3, 2009 1:08 am

Well right now Gallo and Chandler seem like just role players but I believe one, if not both, can become a star for us. Obviously adding a LeBron, Wade, or Dwight wouldnt hurt but I have high hopes for our youngns. Next year they should really shine, especially since Lee and/or Nate might be gone.
Knicksfan1
Veteran
And1: 12

Post#15 » by Knicksfan1 » Tue Mar 3, 2009 1:10 am

TrueWarrior wrote:Well right now Gallo and Chandler seem like just role players but I believe one, if not both, can become a star for us. Obviously adding a LeBron, Wade, or Dwight wouldnt hurt but I have high hopes for our youngns. Next year they should really shine, especially since Lee and/or Nate might be gone.

If we have to use both to move Curry,would you do it?
Roscoe Sheed wrote:Also, everybody complains about KG setting moving screens, but Duncan is just as bad
TrueWarrior
RealGM

Post#16 » by TrueWarrior » Tue Mar 3, 2009 1:14 am

Knicksfan1 wrote:
TrueWarrior wrote:Well right now Gallo and Chandler seem like just role players but I believe one, if not both, can become a star for us. Obviously adding a LeBron, Wade, or Dwight wouldnt hurt but I have high hopes for our youngns. Next year they should really shine, especially since Lee and/or Nate might be gone.

Both? Only if we get back some good young talent and picks. Otherwise hell no.

That would be ideal though, get rid of Curry, not pay Lee and Nate, and get back some cheap young talent and picks. Im sure Donnie would pull the trigger if the right deal surfaces.

So yea Id do it if we got good value back.
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 116

Post#17 » by TKF » Tue Mar 3, 2009 1:15 am

TrueWarrior wrote:

good post fellas, and honeslty, Idon't see wade leaving miami for NY or any other team..

I agree with gallo and wilson working together nicely and I would like to see gallo at the 4 one day, with wilson at his natural SF position... need a legit two way SG and a big who can control the paint.... One thing about gallo, which I think will help him be a decent rebounder is his arm length.. the kid is long and has a great reach. Adding some much needed bulk will be paramount to gallo's future success...
R-DAWG
RealGM

Post#18 » by R-DAWG » Tue Mar 3, 2009 1:26 am

One might become a star, but a star on the Allen Houston level not on the LeBron/Wade/Kobe level. I think the best case is they turn into Hedo/Lewis and if they both exceed their potential Houston/Sprewell or Allen Pierce (although at the 3-4 not 2-3). Those are very good combos but Houston/Sprewell never won a playoff serries without Ewing, Allen/Pierce would not have won the championship without KG, and Orlando would not be one of the top teams in the league without Dwight. Again, this isnt a bad thing and I'd sign up right now for Chandler and Gallo to the same players as Hedo (Chandler) and Lewis (Gallo). I just dont believe that building a team around the 2 of them will ever result in a championship, but they can be huge parts in helping LeBron or Wade bring a ring to the big apple.
RutgersBJJ
General Manager
And1: 125

Post#19 » by RutgersBJJ » Tue Mar 3, 2009 2:02 am

if Curry honestly just got his fat ass in shape this system would make him look amazing. Shaq dominated in the system last year, and you can't tell me that Shaq last season was in better shape than Curry could be.
RIP Jared Jeffries. Gone but never forgotten...2006-2012
R-DAWG
RealGM

Post#20 » by R-DAWG » Tue Mar 3, 2009 3:23 am

Knicksfan1 wrote:

Both: NO One: YES

Return to New York Knicks