ImageImageImageImageImage

Poll: If 2010 is a bust...

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

If the knicks fail to sign any big free agents in 2010...

I'd be disappointed, but having cap space is an important asset nonetheless
64%
Donnie Washed up lolol ruined the franchise by giving away Crawford and Z-Bo for what amounted to nothing and set the knicks back even farther
9%
Good, I'd rather build a team through the draft, our current homegrown players, and smart, inexpensive free agent signings rather than pulling a 2007 celtics
27%

Total votes: 55

King Jaffy Jo
Rookie
And1: 11

Re: Poll: If 2010 is a bust... 

Post#21 » by King Jaffy Jo » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:15 pm

Crysis wrote:
I didn't even vote, but this is the real deal.

The Knicks aren't really wrong with trying to clear cap space. But Lebron James is NOT coming here at all. It wasn't going to happen...EVER!

What's really wrong is that Dantoni is coaching the wrong type of system in New York. He is also very naive if he thinks that New York Fans are going to put up with losing just because of the "chance" at getting a big time free agent.

Ain't gonna happen.

Lebron is staying in Cleveland b/c that will be the best place for him to win a title, not New York.

Wade is staying in Miami, no other option exists when you wink at the owner after making a shot, and then win a game in double OT. He gets whatever he wants in Miami.

Nobody else is worth losing two years with a "new regime".

This is the New York Expirings, not the Knicks.

All we have to hope for is to keep Nate. But if any of you realize, he is the new whipping boy of the press. Just watch how many "Nate is selfish" themes come out in the next few weeks.

Why would Lebron want to come here when the writers influence impressionable fans who undoubtedly would turn on him if Lebron is found asking some chick to get in the truck?

Plus the media used to make fun of Ewing and his predicitions until the fans booed him right out of town.

Now the media writes how good Ewing was.

Oh, my bad... Yes 2010 will be a bust. It already is.

as pessimistic as this is, it may be the truest and most realistic post. i hate to think this way but i am not getting hyped up for lebron either. i hope he comes here but if he does not, it isnt the end of the world. we're already somewhat building a core with our youth. it is too much of a gamble IMO. if it works, great but im going along like its not gonna happen. July 1st 2010 is way far from now...

and the NY media thing is def true. i remember what they did to patrick back in the day and i thought that was sheisty.

I agree with most of your points. The only thing in a way i disagree with is the system conflict. times have changed and that bully ball from back in the day has taken a step back. dantoni does a decent job with his pick and roll and quick offense schemes. his only fault is that he absolutely sucks at prioritizing defense which has always been associated with our past teams. Dantoni also IMO sucks at late game situations. His line up management is also suspect. and the most annoying thing of all... it seems like he never admits his faults. His comments are way stubborn but.. in the long run, he'd probably be a better fit here. players love him and the way he stands behind guys like duhon and hughes when theyre slumping is admirable...

but yea.. cap space is key. i went with option 1.
Rich2Hassan
RealGM
And1: 5,800

Post#22 » by Rich2Hassan » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:18 pm

Let me ask you guys this. If Walsh was to let Nate & Lee go, and comes 2010 and the only players that we have are Chandler & Gallo to move on with, how would you all feel?
Heat President of TANK operations.
GuyverADL
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#23 » by GuyverADL » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:20 pm

Q2N8 wrote:Let me ask you guys this. If Walsh was to let Nate & Lee go, and comes 2010 and the only players that we have are Chandler & Gallo to move on with, how would you all feel?

I'd be 2- stepping.
Rich2Hassan
RealGM

Post#24 » by Rich2Hassan » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:25 pm

optimusADL wrote:
Q2N8 wrote:Let me ask you guys this. If Walsh was to let Nate & Lee go, and comes 2010 and the only players that we have are Chandler & Gallo to move on with, how would you all feel?

I'd be 2- stepping.

Why? Wouldn't you rather Develop both LEE & NATE along with Gallo & Chandler? i know i would.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,917

Post#25 » by blueNorange » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:53 pm

Q2N8 wrote:
optimusADL wrote:

I'd be 2- stepping.

Why? Wouldn't you rather Develop both LEE & NATE along with Gallo & Chandler? i know i would.

lee and nate have reached their max in the nba ... lee is a guy who can rebound but plays no defense and nate is a 5 foot 4 shooting guard who plays no defense and can score ... they're not gonna get any better -- with chandler and gallinari the sky is the limit for the both.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
Rich2Hassan
RealGM

Post#26 » by Rich2Hassan » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:57 pm

blueNorange wrote:lee and nate have reached their max in the nba ... lee is a guy who can rebound but plays no defense and nate is a 5 foot 4 shooting guard who plays no defense and can score ... they're not gonna get any better -- with chandler and gallinari the sky is the limit for the both.

I don't think Lee&Nate has reached thier max yet. I believe Lee CAN get better on defense, not saying he's gonna be a great defender, but get better. Nate is nate, if he learns how to control himself, and mature a little more, i believe that will only make him better.
LJ4pointplay
Knicks Forum GM King
And1: 1,324

Post#27 » by LJ4pointplay » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:30 pm

Lee and Nate haven't stopped improving yet, why is it a given that they will now? Lee has already said that he's going to try and add three point range to his game, Nate as stated, can learn to play under control and he also can continue to learn the point..not saying he will be one full time, but he has shown flashes this season. I used to cringe when the ball was in his hands in past years cause I knew a stupid decison was coming, thats not always the case anymore.

As for the orginal question, I went with the first option, if we don't get LeBron there will be dissapointment, not that I'm expecting it, but knowing that it is a possibility, and it not coming to fruition would be dissapointing. If we don't get any of the big names, it will be real dissapointing, Craw/Zach would've been better because they expire in 2011 anyway. Well Zach would have been better..always hated Crawford and feel we won that trade from a basketball perspective. As stated though, the worst case scenario is overpaying the wrong players.. that would be devestating to the point that I might stop watching the Knicks. After putting up with a decade of pure crap..maxing out the wrong guys would insure another half decade of the same stuff, not sure thats worth following..
pwayknicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 705

Post#28 » by pwayknicks » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:57 pm

I would applaud the heck out of Walsh. BOth Nate and Lee should not be in Knick jerseys in 2 years. Espeically Lee. I would love to see us deal Lee for draft picks and a young player in a sign and trade. And prefer the same from Nate, although I wouldnt mind keeping Nate around at around 4-5 million per year.
The Knicks are BACK!!!!

Jlin + Melo + Stat + Chandler....les go!

Trade Landry Fields ASAP!
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#29 » by Rasho Brezec » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:30 pm

I don't like the options in this poll. I voted for the last one, but I still wouldn't mind getting a big name FA in 2010, neither would I be disappointed if we don't land anyone. Though I'd prefer if we build a team through draft rather than pulling some instant crap like the Celtics.
Shemy
Head Coach
And1: 460

Post#30 » by Shemy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:10 am

If the knicks fail to sign any big free agents in 2010??????

Hope gallo is the next dirk

and

Chandler is the next artest

:pray: :pray:
"They scared now"
slamvangundy
Starter
And1: 4

Post#31 » by slamvangundy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:18 am

blueNorange wrote:
Q2N8 wrote:
optimusADL wrote:
I'd be 2- stepping.

lee and nate have reached their max in the nba ... lee is a guy who can rebound but plays no defense and nate is a 5 foot 4 shooting guard who plays no defense and can score ... they're not gonna get any better -- with chandler and gallinari the sky is the limit for the both.

What top ten power forwards in this league are significantly better defenders than David Lee?
I can think of:
-Garnett (light years ahead of david lee, also makes max money)
-Duncan (light years ahead of david lee, also makes max money)
-Milsap
-Maybe Bosh

Wouldn't you argue that, David Lee is certainly at the same level as Dirk, Amare, Boozer, Jamison, West). I'm sorry, BNO, though there are a handful of max money PF's who are better than D than David Lee, it's not like he is below average.

If he is so bad on D, how many PF's/C's this year, significantly outscored/outrebounded him?
Esq-4
Veteran
And1: 318

Post#32 » by Esq-4 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:53 am

Donnie has to really evaluate who he thinks he can get in 2010 THIS offseason to see what to do w/ Lee and Nate, but also with all the expirings.

LBJ has to be no. 1 and Wade no. 2 as targets, and close too. Then the next tier is Bosh and Amare and Joe Johnson. That tier alone is a big jump. Then their is the third tier.

The reason an evaluation really has to be done is b/c their are 2 other options:

1) make a smaller smart signing and wait another year and go after say Durant or Melo. But I'm not sure who else will be available then. And if the fails how long can you put this "sign a star plan"

2) use the expirings, which also allows us to not have to worry about being UNDER the cap, even though we could still be cap conscious. Basically trade Mobely and his insurance covered contract for Tyson Chandler then Harrington Duhon (i know it will take MORE) and whatever else it takes for Melo. Don't have to worry about 2010 so we can also go ahead and sign Lee AND Nate AND Wilcox:

Chandler/Wilcox/Curry
Lee/Gallo/JJeff
Melo/Chandler
Hughes/
Nate/

Return to New York Knicks