ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft Question: Is Blake Griffin really that good?

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 116

Re: Draft Question: Is Blake Griffin really that good? 

Post#21 » by TKF » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:01 pm

not a fancy player, I would like to see him expand his game more with a jumper, but he is a top notch finisher, he attacks the rim with such fury.. I like that..
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#22 » by TKF » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:05 pm

optimusADL wrote:
onlyonesharky wrote:
optimusADL wrote:He could be Amare Stoudemire 1.5

I'd take him and send Lee packing.

How about keeping them both?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuyOcVeA ... re=related

If I could see that once a game the Knicks would definitely be watchable.

boy, or how about this one..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHum4Rot ... re=related
GuyverADL
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#23 » by GuyverADL » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:16 pm

TKF wrote:boy, or how about this one..

The guy is a leaper and is not a twig. Im down with drafting him. I'd still entertain offers though.
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by TKF » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:32 pm

BelieveTheDream wrote:
TaxI wrote:can you picture how nasty a danilo-grffin frontcourt would be?
danilo's shooting ability would put the kaibosh on griffin getting double teamed.
20-15 all day, everyday.

side note, griffin would be the type of player that lebron would win a championship with.
he and boozer would have won one all ready(if boozer was healthy and stayed in Cleveland).

and griffin is better then amare defensively.

good comparison with boozer... I think griffen might actually be a bit more athletic though

A bit? try 5x more.. Boozer looks like he is standing in cement blocks compared to griffin..
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by TKF » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:37 pm

optimusADL wrote:

The guy is a leaper and is not a twig. Im down with drafting him. I'd still entertain offers though.

the thing with him is, that I don't think he is 6'10. Like they had chris wilcox listed at 6'10 in college and wilcox is more like 6'8.... that scares me, because his game is not suited to play the SF... One thing about gallo is that he is 6'10 all the way, so what I would like to see is us get a real big in the middle, an athletic big, with gallo , one day at the PF, when he gains weight..

But If we had a chance to get griffin, I would get him and figure out everything else later.. LOL
GuyverADL
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#26 » by GuyverADL » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:54 pm

TKF wrote:
optimusADL wrote:

the thing with him is, that I don't think he is 6'10. Like they had chris wilcox listed at 6'10 in college and wilcox is more like 6'8.... that scares me, because his game is not suited to play the SF... One thing about gallo is that he is 6'10 all the way, so what I would like to see is us get a real big in the middle, an athletic big, with gallo , one day at the PF, when he gains weight..

But If we had a chance to get griffin, I would get him and figure out everything else later.. LOL

He definitely isnt 6' 10" but as long as he is at LEAST Lee's height then I see no problem.
TaxI
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#27 » by TaxI » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:56 pm

BelieveTheDream wrote:
TaxI wrote:can you picture how nasty a danilo-grffin frontcourt would be?
danilo's shooting ability would put the kaibosh on griffin getting double teamed.
20-15 all day, everyday.

side note, griffin would be the type of player that lebron would win a championship with.
he and boozer would have won one all ready(if boozer was healthy and stayed in Cleveland).

and griffin is better then amare defensively.

good comparison with boozer... I think griffen might actually be a bit more athletic though

he is.a bit like across between amare and boozer.
TaxI
Pro Prospect

Post#28 » by TaxI » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:00 pm

optimusADL wrote:
He definitely isnt 6' 10" but as long as he is at LEAST Lee's height then I see no problem.

he is about 6-9.legit.i really don't see that as much a problem as many think.he can jump, now we need to see what his wingspan is.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,965

Post#29 » by Manhattan Project » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:04 pm

When I look at him I see Brook Lopez that is blessed with more athleticism. Griffin is incredibly quick for his size, can really get up and down the court. Has a great all around game that is going to make it easy for him to make the transition to the NBA.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,895

Post#30 » by cgf » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:09 pm

NoLayupRule wrote:the kid is a beast. hes young but hes strong as hell with a NBA center ready body. very athletic and very quick with a solid handle and a nasty streak. tough, strong, offensive-minded and solid on the glass

whats not to like?

I'm a Griffin fan, not as big of a fan as I am of rubio, but I still like the kid. I just don't see him being a center. I mean he's not taller than DLee and his wingspan isn't significantly greater, and Lee's biggest problem is he's just straight up outsized every night.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
hard49
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#31 » by hard49 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:06 am

mjhp911 wrote:I think he's that good, skills-wise. I still have a question mark about his make up, and to an extent, his toughness. He's not going to go toe-to-toe with you if you push him around. He'll just walk away. While that's very mature and proper for most people, I'd like to have my hoops players with a little bit of an edge.

No offense but who are you talking about because it ain't Blake Griffin.
bringinhinkie
General Manager
And1: 930

Post#32 » by bringinhinkie » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:22 am

Charsace wrote:His ceiling is Karl Malone IMO.

:roll: maybe the laker version
onlyonesharky
Starter

Post#33 » by onlyonesharky » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:33 am

Anyone know his next game on TV?
Let's give LEBRON the BLACK-AND-BLUE-PRINT!
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,079

Post#34 » by blueNorange » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:39 am

yes he's that good ... carlos boozer's strength + kenyon martin before knee surgery athleticism + amare stoudemire's first step.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
some_rand
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#35 » by some_rand » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:02 am

I like him but i dont see how hes THAT much better than say someone like JJ hickson who was picked 19th
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,981

Post#36 » by Capn'O » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:25 am

optimusADL wrote:
KnicksScholar24 wrote:I've seen him in a few games and he doesn't really stand out as a dominant inside force. He's good on the boards and shows flashes of explosive athleticism. There is no telling how good he could be.

I wasn't impressed with Amare Stoudemire coming out of HS because I thought he was raw, but you never know how a player's game will translate in the NBA (or how he will adjust to the NBA game).

He could be the next Amare or he could be the next Kris Humphries. Or maybe he'll be a Chris Wilcox type player at the NBA level.

Amare was WAY more explosive pre surgery see below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEY3y8_sIBg

1:44 mark says it all

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
mjhp911
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14

Post#37 » by mjhp911 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:23 am

hard49 wrote:
mjhp911 wrote:I think he's that good, skills-wise. I still have a question mark about his make up, and to an extent, his toughness. He's not going to go toe-to-toe with you if you push him around. He'll just walk away. While that's very mature and proper for most people, I'd like to have my hoops players with a little bit of an edge.

No offense but who are you talking about because it ain't Blake Griffin.

His parents raised him as a pacifist. It's why teams have been trying to cheap-shot him lately (remember those concussions?). Because unless he's on a diet of raw meat and hot sauce now, he usually just walks away from such confrontations.
haterade
Sixth Man
And1: 90

Post#38 » by haterade » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:06 pm

some_rand wrote:I like him but i dont see how hes THAT much better than say someone like JJ hickson who was picked 19th

Watch his highlights and watch him outrun SFs, PFs, and Cs. Hard to find a big man that can consistently outrun his opponent consistently. He has good fundamentals for a big man, he consistently runs basket to basket, his athleticism is off the charts, boxes out well, and knows how to use his body around the basket to draw fouls. The only thing that worries me about him is his height and wingspan. He is the clear #1 pick this year and was a top 5 pick last year. Before he got hurt they were saying he was #3-4 last year at the least, maybe if he worked out, he could've made 1 or 2.
XcalibuR
Lead Assistant
And1: 79

Post#39 » by XcalibuR » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:36 pm

haterade wrote:
some_rand wrote:I like him but i dont see how hes THAT much better than say someone like JJ hickson who was picked 19th

Watch his highlights and watch him outrun SFs, PFs, and Cs. Hard to find a big man that can consistently outrun his opponent consistently. He has good fundamentals for a big man, he consistently runs basket to basket, his athleticism is off the charts, boxes out well, and knows how to use his body around the basket to draw fouls. The only thing that worries me about him is his height and wingspan. He is the clear #1 pick this year and was a top 5 pick last year. Before he got hurt they were saying he was #3-4 last year at the least, maybe if he worked out, he could've made 1 or 2.

There was no way he was going to be going ahead of Rose or Beasley or even Mayo. No way. #4 is the highest he was going to go.
Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 225

Post#40 » by Flaming Mo » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:05 pm

Pharmcat wrote:yes hes gonna be good....no love cuz hes not flashy....just imagine a boozer with better rebounding...tats what i envision him as (w/out the injuries too)

That's the comparison I made a couple of weeks ago. Griffin looks like a more athletic, worse shooting Carlos Boozer which is a very good thing in terms of his stock and the evaluation of him as a prospect...
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies...

Return to New York Knicks