ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Extremely Tough Riddle Challenge

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

fazzk7
Junior
And1: 0

Re: OT: Extremely Tough Riddle Challenge 

Post#421 » by fazzk7 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:21 pm

After all these years I don't think I have ever commented on this thread BUT i really have believed there is no answer. I think its a poor riddle with no answer OR the answer is completely arbritary and not something clever to figure out. Also - just reading the OP again...does this make ANY sense?

So a friend of mine told me a riddle that he said has been passed down in his family since WW2. Only one living person at a time in his family knows it, and when they are dying, they only tell it to one other member to carry it on. He does not know the answer, and he bet me that I can't figure it out before he does. He said I can ask anyone in the world that I want for help, so I figured I will take to the bright minds on this board.

The riddle is:

A man had a dollar. He spent 80 cents for a drum and 10 cents for 2 drumsticks. He gave a streetcar driver a dime to drive him 13 blocks. On the tenth block they kicked him out. Why?

Hint: I tell you the answer every time I say the riddle.

Good luck guys. I look forward to your answers.

So only one living person passes on the riddle when they are DYING with NO ANSWER?! What kind of pass is that...its like a Melo pass (get it, no pass at all) I really think this riddle is just to make everyone go crazy to figure it out when there is nothing to figure out...
mugzi wrote: I must be doing something right if you...remember quotes of mine from weeks ago, I should start charging rent for being in your head

makeitstop wrote:for the record - if you were in my head you'd be paying rent, not charging it. :lol:
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#422 » by Knicksfan20 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:31 pm

The riddle is:

A man had a dollar. He spent 80 cents for a drum and 10 cents for 2 drumsticks. He gave a streetcar driver a dime to drive him 13 blocks. On the tenth block they kicked him out. Why?

Read it backwards.

Why did they kick him out? Because he gave the street car driver a dime to drive him 13 blocks. He had a dollar until he spent it on a drum and 2 drumsticks.

Or

Maybe its an actual riddle. Like an unsolvable riddle. The reason why its a riddle is because nobody knows why he was kicked off the bus. Its asking why because the person reading the riddle doesnt know why. The hint is i tell you the answer everytime i say the riddle. Ive heard people use the phrase "its a riddle" to something they cant figure out.

Here is what the definition of riddles are.

a question, puzzle, or verse so phrased that ingenuity is required for elucidation of the answer or meaning; conundrum
a person or thing that puzzles, perplexes, or confuses; enigma
verb
to solve, explain, or interpret (a riddle or riddles)
(intransitive) to speak in riddles

Maybe this riddle is just there to confuse us. An enigma usually is something that cant be explained. The only way to know why they threw him off the bus is to ask "they."Well how do we ask them? We cant. So it will always be a mystery/riddle as why the man was actually thrown off the bus. There are plenty of theorys as to why he was thrown off as seen in this thread, but nobody will know for sure.

The answer is... There is no answer.
the_antz_nest
Senior
And1: 174

Post#423 » by the_antz_nest » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:58 pm

Knicksfan20 wrote:

Maybe this riddle is just there to confuse us. An enigma usually is something that cant be explained. The only way to know why they threw him off the bus is to ask "they."Well how do we ask them? We cant. So it will always be a mystery/riddle as why the man was actually thrown off the bus. There are plenty of theorys as to why he was thrown off as seen in this thread, but nobody will know for sure.

The answer is... There is no answer.

I would have a love/hate reaction with that answer. I don't believe thats the case. My primary school teacher used to give us one a day to expand our lateral thinking. The answer is I believe is quite simple.

E.g. A old one i got stuck on with my teacher was " A man only uses the lifts at work in the morning, lunchtime and at the end of the work day. But at every other time he leaves his office building he uses the stairs. Why? we as a class came up with soooooo many options like he wanted exercise, there were lift maintenance etc. but in the end it was because he was small person (dwarf) and couldn't reach the button so he could only travel in the lift when other people were there to push the buttons for him. Annoying but my guess is the answer is simple but not timeless, maybe the lingo and slang is lost from the WWII era to now and its harder for us to get it now. i'm still sticking with my answer on the previous page..
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#424 » by Knicksfan20 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:09 pm

The hint is i say the answer every time i say the riddle. So the answer is the riddle. The question is Why was he kicked off? And the rest of the answer is the riddle.

Why was he kicked off? Because they kicked him off. Thats the answer to why.

Idk... I have like 23 different answers in this thread. Im usually great with riddles, but its annoying to not have an answer. The fact that only one person knows the answer to this is pretty stupid/lame.
Im Coming Home
RealGM
And1: 16,554

Post#425 » by Im Coming Home » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:19 pm

Knicksfan20 wrote:The hint is i say the answer every time i say the riddle. So the answer is the riddle. The question is Why was he kicked off? And the rest of the answer is the riddle.

Why was he kicked off? Because they kicked him off. Thats the answer to why.

Idk... I have like 23 different answers in this thread. Im usually great with riddles, but its annoying to not have an answer. The fact that only one person knows the answer to this is pretty stupid/lame.

I think you're right.

The answer is 'its a riddle' or something to that effect.
RGM Knicks BAF- Houston Rockets

PG: Cunningham | Suggs |
SG: Au Thompson | Rupert |
SF: Griffin | Reddish
PF: Avdija | Prince| Bertans
C: Lively II | Smith
Hijinks
Analyst
And1: 1,327

Post#426 » by Hijinks » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:58 pm

Hey riddle. I have a question for you:

too many urkels on your team, that's why your wins low
Mr White
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#427 » by Mr White » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:41 pm

After thinking about this riddle this morning here is what I came up with:
Why was he kicked out after 10 blocks? Answer: Because he can't sing.

The riddle says "he was kicked out after 10 blocks". You don't get kick out of a streetcar, you get "kicked off". Also, he paid the driver, so why would he get kicked off? We don't know how much the ride costs, so we must assume he paid in full. Where, I think, people are getting tripped up is, what about the drum and drumsticks? No one buys a drum and drumsticks to ride a streetcar. You buy drums and drumsticks to join a band. You can get "kicked out" of a band. But, what about the 10 blocks? A block is a musical term for vocals sung along with a melody. It's the homonym "block" that is the beautiful magician's assistant meant to distract you from what is really going on.

So some guy goes and buys a drum and drumsticks to try out for a band. He Takes a streetcar 13 blocks (streets) to audition for a band. During tryouts, the band plays 10 blocks (of music) when they decide he can't sing and they kick him out.
Loisl
Veteran
And1: 187

Post#428 » by Loisl » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:10 pm

knicksfan87 wrote:Hey riddle. I have a question for you:

x 1.000.000 :lol: :lol: :lol:

But I have to admit: This is by far the best answer I've read yet. :clap:

Mr White wrote:So some guy goes and buys a drum and drumsticks to try out for a band. He Takes a streetcar 13 blocks (streets) to audition for a band. During tryouts, the band plays 10 blocks (of music) when they decide he can't sing and they kick him out.
R.I.P. Mags - :beer:
Once a Knick, always a Knick.
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
And1: 4,771

Post#429 » by Sprewell4Three » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:24 pm

With all due respect why hasn't this douche given the answer already. He shouldn't be allowed to post again until he gives the answer to the riddle.
FanzWaaat
Junior
And1: 20

Post#430 » by FanzWaaat » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:35 pm

GONYK wrote:So a friend of mine told me a riddle that he said has been passed down in his family since WW2. Only one living person at a time in his family knows it, and when they are dying, they only tell it to one other member to carry it on. He does not know the answer, and he bet me that I can't figure it out before he does. He said I can ask anyone in the world that I want for help, so I figured I will take to the bright minds on this board.

The riddle is:

"He does not know the answer, and he bet me that I can't figure it out before he does."

It seems to me that there is no answer because this riddle got passed down to a person "He" who does not know the answer. Also, the Hint: "I tell you the answer every time I say the riddle".

So my answer to this riddle is "He does not know the answer" which he tells you every time he says the riddle.
HeartBreaking
Starter
And1: 2,313

Post#431 » by HeartBreaking » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:43 am

He was playing the drums and got kicked out
PaulieWal wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:He's going to get fined by the league for that. Marv Albert was actually saying don't do that, don't do that. Meanwhile half the audience was thinking Marv should know.

That's Kevin Harlan.
postcall
Sixth Man
And1: 538

Post#432 » by postcall » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:47 am

Can we have a mod lock this ish and send it to hell!
kane
Head Coach
And1: 2,350

Post#433 » by kane » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:01 am

the dying man "He does not know the answer"
mrcalzone
Veteran
And1: 2,910

Post#434 » by mrcalzone » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:21 am

GONYK wrote:So a friend of mine told me a riddle that he said has been passed down in his family since WW2. Only one living person at a time in his family knows it, and when they are dying, they only tell it to one other member to carry it on. He does not know the answer, and he bet me that I can't figure it out before he does. He said I can ask anyone in the world that I want for help, so I figured I will take to the bright minds on this board.

The riddle is:

Maybe because the drumsticks cost 10 cents per. So That means he spent his whole dollar. And the "Dime" isn't actual currency, it's a Hooker. And the Hooker gave the Streetcar driver a quickie and after she finished (the 10th block) the man got kicked out?
Part-time Lover
Senior
And1: 58

Post#435 » by Part-time Lover » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:32 am

Sprewell4Three wrote:With all due respect why hasn't this douche given the answer already. He shouldn't be allowed to post again until he gives the answer to the riddle.

postcall wrote:Can we have a mod lock this ish and send it to hell!

the OP is a mod
Hijinks
Analyst
And1: 1,327

Post#436 » by Hijinks » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:35 am

mrcalzone wrote:

The riddle is:

Maybe because the drumsticks cost 10 cents per. So That means he spent his whole dollar. And the "Dime" isn't actual currency, it's a Hooker. And the Hooker gave the Streetcar driver a quickie and after she finished (the 10th block) the man got kicked out?

:rofl:

best answer yet!
too many urkels on your team, that's why your wins low
BodyCount
Sixth Man
And1: 602

Post#437 » by BodyCount » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:13 am

GuyverADL wrote:HE was getting felatio from a hooker in the back seat and when he didnt have any cash to pay she was going to cut him so the driver kicked him out.

People on this board really don't appreciate quality posters. Just doubled your and1's.
MrProb
Analyst
And1: 1,419

Post#438 » by MrProb » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:58 am

"Only one living at a time in his family knows it" ??? then he proceed to tell you the riddle then you proceed to tell us the riddle and now the whole NY city knows the riddle. weird.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#439 » by dakomish23 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:28 pm

Was there an implied agreement that the dime he gave was accepted by the driver to take him the 13 blocks? Or did he give him a dime and that's the going rate for only 10 blocks? Not sure if the answer was posted - I stopped after page 5
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Jnknicks
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#440 » by Jnknicks » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:01 pm

Because there's no eating on the street car

Return to New York Knicks