Additional Forum Upgrades

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Re: Additional Forum Upgrades 

Post#81 » by hands11 » Sat Apr 5, 2014 6:19 pm

dream34 wrote:
hands11 wrote:The time and date and title of thread are GRAY making it hard to identify. The posters name is in color but I can already see who the poster because is displayed larger to the left so already have that information. Listed it twice isn't needed. And the combination of graying out the information I wont while coloring information I already have which makes reading what I want to see harder.

Lastly, I would change back to time date stamping vs the today, yesterday and then eventually time date that you did in the last change. The today, yesterday stuff looks kind on interesting on a main forum page with lots of thread but inside a thread, not so much. Part of the problem is that the page needs refreshed for it to be accurate.

I'll look at darkening the post information tomorrow to see how it looks. I think the order and placement of everything else is fine though. The username is listed twice for mobile users who scan down the right column only, so it does have importance. I think the timestamp is more important than the author in this case, which is why they are in that order.

If you don't like the yesterday/today timestamp then you can change it in your preferences.

hands11 wrote:Just saw the new plus 1 thing under the thread posts count number.

Not a fan of it. If I go into a thread and read the posts, you can see what posts where and 1 by someone. That is where its useful. To be honest, I pay more attention to what is written, not who writes it. The content and message is whats important over the messenger. We have enough egos and people posturing without give them more fuel to side track conversations.

Along those lines. The PM was good where it used to be. You PM a user so PM should be next to their name and picture if they have one.

Team icons: They are kind of cool. not overly important but a nice splash of color and something this is interesting. But I would put them under the profile icon. They are like badges to who the poster is. They fit well under the posters image. Like badges on a shirt.

In your preferences, you can disable the +1 and you won't see it again.

The PM button was moved to make the short posts more compact and take up less scrolling. It still fits in, because you are usually PMing someone about a specific post so it fits in with Quote.

Team icons can also be disabled in user preferences. We put them vertically to save space on short posts and make things tighter. It looked nicer horizontally, but fits better this way.

We've tweaked a lot over the last couple weeks and have things just where we want them now.

Thanks for taking the time to explain those things. Very professional and it is appreciated.

I have enjoyed contributing to the look. I'm actually involved in this kind of thing for my companies website as part of what I oversee, and we have vbulletin, though never implemented it. Pretty cool options it provides. But man are the menu setting deep.

You darkening the time date information helped a lot. Thanks. That's way easier on the eyes to spot the information I want to see. Great adjustment. Funny.... I was looking at that information and didn't notice per se that you changed it and was thinking.... hmmm.. That actually looks pretty good. I wonder if my suggestion to change it was a a bad idea.. lol.. Now I realize you actually did change it .. lol Again. Good tweak.

I just noticed the rounded corners on the gray boarder of the posts. That's a more modern look that usually works well. I notice its creating a little white boarder between the posts though. I also see the round corners are only implemented on the bottom half of the frame. Did you trying top and bottom and change the padding so there is not separation between posts ? I would also try rounded top and both with a little white between the post to see what that looks like.
hands11
Banned User

Post#82 » by hands11 » Sat Apr 5, 2014 6:48 pm

Jake0890 wrote:The new layout looks so much better now that when the changes started. Bravo to the admin team for listening to what everyone had to say and making the changes!

Agreed. Mad props for taking user input. :clap:

As someone involved in product design, I heavily lean on user input to make improvements.

- One more thing I think might help the board experience, not look..

I would review the icons you have available. If you want to promote good debate and fanship over name calling and in your face posts, I would consider removing the following icons ..

For those of us that come here enjoy the exchange, I see these getting in the way a lot because they are used by people who are disruptive posters that want to pull the board down to their negativity and childishness.

:crazy: This one is used poster against poster and never promotes debate.
:lol: This one is used probably the most to do that. Its not used as a good laugh. It used laugh at posters and invalid a post without being able to debate it in writing. It you want a friendly reply :nod: is what people use. And if you want to object or disagree :nonono: or :noway: or :roll: give you all you need with this one :lol: that just pisses people off and starts the spam war or name calling or :lol: back at that person. If people really want to lol in a friendly way they can just lol without watching this animated icon laughing at someones post. That kind of thing in my face is what leads me to blocking posters who overuse it that way.

:sleep2: could go as well. Its used the same way. Being jerky is to easy with a mouse click.
:sleep: see above
:spammer: Can't really see this being put to go use

:wizard: nothing wrong with this one but has anyone ever used it.. LOL
:reporter: see above

There are a ton of icons and of all them, only a handful are used abusively so I would remove them. That's my two sense for cleaning them up to promote interaction on in the threads. Three pages of them is a lot. I have to go pages through them to find the one I use the most. Getting it down to TWO PAGES would be better.

If part of you goal is to increase membership, then I see these as getting in the way of that because nothing drives off new members more then tons of negativity and in your face name calling person attacks. Sadly I see that top much. It only takes a handful of posters to ruin a board.

** Also, it seems something has happened to the way that box is displayed. It always opened as a new window but not the icons in it don't fill the same so you have to adjust the window to see them all.
hands11
Banned User

Post#83 » by hands11 » Sat Apr 5, 2014 7:07 pm

Nevermind.. This topic was addressed.
hands11
Banned User

Post#84 » by hands11 » Sat Apr 5, 2014 7:13 pm

ReturnofMVP3 wrote:I still think we need a negative and1 or flop button!!

I would disagree with that. I see nothing go coming of it.

Just go to the next post.

If you don't like a poster that much, block them. But don't stop other who might like them.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,845

Post#85 » by paulpressey25 » Sat Apr 5, 2014 7:16 pm

One stylistic comment---would consider removing the "+1" link in the REPLIES column. It really isn't a needed feature, and stylistically clutters things up.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
hands11
Banned User

Post#86 » by hands11 » Sat Apr 5, 2014 7:24 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:One stylistic comment---would consider removing the "+1" link in the REPLIES column. It really isn't a needed feature, and stylistically clutters things up.

On the main threads list page ?

I would agree. Looks like clutter to me and I see no good purpose for it. I can see what posts were +1 when I am reading the posts. That where is a relevant.
hands11
Banned User

Post#87 » by hands11 » Sat Apr 5, 2014 10:31 pm

One more thing

There is not edited post information anymore... That mean you can change you post at anytime and there is not record of it. That makes all the prediction post worthless now. Because you can just go back and edit them.

In the past if you went back and edited a post there was information saying

edited: time date stamp
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#88 » by Thugger HBC » Sun Apr 6, 2014 1:04 pm

hands11 wrote:One more thing

There is not edited post information anymore... That mean you can change you post at anytime and there is not record of it. That makes all the prediction post worthless now. Because you can just go back and edit them.

Yeah, that aspect has been gone for a minute, but if you're on a very active board that quotes posts a lot, they couldn't successfully pull it off.

Sent from my SGH M-919 using RealGM Forums mobile app
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
hands11
Banned User

Post#89 » by hands11 » Sun Apr 6, 2014 4:36 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:
hands11 wrote:One more thing

Yeah, that aspect has been gone for a minute, but if you're on a very active board that quotes posts a lot, they couldn't successfully pull it off.

Sent from my SGH M-919 using RealGM Forums mobile app

Please consider bringing it back. I think it changes the dynamics of what posting is. Most posts are not quoted and when they are, that poster can edit what you posted.
Golden Angel
Starter
And1: 891

Post#90 » by Golden Angel » Sun Apr 6, 2014 7:42 pm

Awesome.
Golden State Warriors

PG: S. Curry | S. Livingston | N. Nedovic
SG: K. Thompson | B. Rush
SF: A. Iguodala | H. Barnes
PF: D. Lee | D. Green | M. Speights
C: A. Bogut | F. Ezeli | O. Kuzmic
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,448

Post#91 » by dagger » Sun Apr 6, 2014 7:55 pm

I think it's a downgrade that the original poster can't amend a thread title to indicate some kind of updated content.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
VanDamme
Veteran
And1: 5,241

Post#92 » by VanDamme » Sun Apr 6, 2014 7:57 pm

Once we press And1 if the button changed color to show that we had already clicked it would be awesome. Sometimes I'll come across posts more than once when reading updates and And1 a second time by accident.. which removes the And1... A visual cue of some sort would be helpful
webeye
Sixth Man
And1: 1,127

Post#93 » by webeye » Mon Apr 7, 2014 12:01 am

1. Thank you for continuing to tweak. The initial changes were distracting, but it's much cleaner now.
2. Highlighting only every other thread in the main thread list? A little odd.
3. I'd kill for a good mobile stylesheet. Tapatalk is utterly horrible, and I always end up just using the regular site.
pbj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,757

Post#94 » by pbj » Mon Apr 7, 2014 2:15 pm

Suggestion! Add the +1 for higher level board views so we can see who's winning each forum... I mean.. contributing the most
hands11
Banned User

Post#95 » by hands11 » Tue Apr 8, 2014 5:09 am

pbj wrote:Suggestion! Add the +1 for higher level board views so we can see who's winning each forum... I mean.. contributing the most

They added that. Personally, I can't mine in preferences to remove it. I have no need to that information there.

As for editing the thread title. The original poster can still do that. I just tested it.

Remaining Suggestions

1) add a space for an original post like you used to get and like you still do on replies
2) Add back to the edited time date stamp so you know when someone changed their post
3) trim down the icons list and make it on two pages. Also auto fill the icons to the pop up window
4) remove the bold of xmod user names. it stands out like a sore thumb and very distracting.
dream34
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 342

Post#96 » by dream34 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:08 pm

- Team colors have been added to the MLB, NFL, and NHL boards

- NCAA DI icons have been added to the favorite team choices. You can only display up to 5 icons though, so it won't appear if you have NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL, and Soccer all selected.

- Just a reminder, if you don't like the +1 under replies on forum pages you can hide it in your preferences.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#97 » by Jake0890 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:12 pm

What ever happened to implementing the "Top Posters" at the top of each page? Some boards have them (I thought everyone was going to get them eventually), but still most don't have them.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#98 » by J-Roc » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:50 pm

What does that +1 under replies mean?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,441

Post#99 » by SichtingLives » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:26 am

Hey dream and Howard,

The team logos are super sexy. if I were a chick with loose morals and poor understanding of money, I would give you guys half off lap dances for the updates.
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
PANDEMONEUM
Analyst
And1: 403

Post#100 » by PANDEMONEUM » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:33 pm

OMG.
i posted and someone read and agreed with me
and action happened
im so happy

Post#71 Re: Forum Upgrades In Progress
Tue Apr 1, 2014 4:56 pm by PANDEMONEUM