ImageImageImageImage

Let's talk AG's shooting...

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,153

Re: Let's talk AG's shooting... 

Post#21 » by swarlesbarkley » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:36 pm

I agree that his shot looks great for what was advertised during the draft. His dribbling, though, tends to get stuck when he turns his back to the defense. He's great going forward against the defense, but he definitely needs to add a spin move or rescue dribble out of having his back to the defense or else he's gonna get stuck there every time. It happened at least twice against the Pacers last night.

Keep working on that shot and keep improving the nuances of his handle and he'll be beasting in a few years.
WeNeverLeftAZ
Junior
And1: 398

Post#22 » by WeNeverLeftAZ » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:51 pm

Following Gordon since he was a soph in High School I knew his work ethic would make him a stud where ever he plays. Gonna be so fun watching him develop.
I made sure to say 'Bear Down Arizona!' at the end of our broadcast. That was for Wildcat Nation. -NBC Anchor Brian Williams
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#23 » by OrlandO » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:00 pm

purpleswordfish wrote:
OrlandO wrote:
drsd wrote:
It is telling that Gordon-A's first NBA start came at SF.

not realIy when Vaughn is the one making that decision...

He started at SF, and did well enough that his per 36 numbers for that game were 15+ ppg, 6+ rpg, 1.7 bpg. Oh yeah, he shot 60% from the field, 50% from 3 and made both free throws. He looked pretty solid on defense. But hey, anything to get a dig in on Jacque Vaughn right?

I'll go out on a limb and say that if Vaughn started him at PF, you'd have some problem with that as well.

Gordon's actually played more PF than SF this season and his overall PER36 numbers look just as impressive. But I don't think AG being a good player has much to do with drsd's comment and my response to it. Excuse me if I don't read too much into decisions made by our lame duck coach at this point. He's made a lot of head-scratching decisions with lineups/rotations/etc over 3 seasons and he's on track to be fired this summer. So yes, I would have also suggested not to read too much into it if Vaughn started AG at PF last night. As for AG, he's still 19 with a body that isn't done maturing, so I don't think it's clear what his long-term position will be. It could be SF or it could be PF, but I definitely won't look to Vaughn to give us any indication of that.

If you want to continue blindly supporting Vaughn and defending him like some white knight then go for it, but I think at this point you're fighting a losing battle as even the most patient folks are done with him. He's got very, very few supporters left and I'm not sure even they could give reasons as to why he should be our coach next year. Keep in mind I am making these comments after giving Vaughn the benefit of the doubt and a pass for two and a half years...
CourtsideTV
RealGM
And1: 349

Post#24 » by CourtsideTV » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:20 pm

best rookie to come out of this year and last year's draft class
Work Hard
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,967

Post#25 » by KillMonger » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:03 pm

swarlesbarkley wrote:I agree that his shot looks great for what was advertised during the draft. His dribbling, though, tends to get stuck when he turns his back to the defense. He's great going forward against the defense, but he definitely needs to add a spin move or rescue dribble out of having his back to the defense or else he's gonna get stuck there every time. It happened at least twice against the Pacers last night.

Keep working on that shot and keep improving the nuances of his handle and he'll be beasting in a few years.

His handle could be improved but to be honest the handle that he's showing now is subdued compared to the stuff he can really do if unleashed, i think he's dribbling the way he is because he wants control over flash and it's working to me i have yet to see him get his cookies stolen or pull an Afflalo. Now if the control can catch up with the flash then we're in business

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5YWifmbedY[/youtube]

he's got the handle, just got to sharpen and tighten it up.
OrlandO
RealGM

Post#26 » by OrlandO » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:07 pm

AG's long-range hot spot so far is in the right corner... 4/5 3pt. Frye is 3/15 from the same spot.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,890

Post#27 » by drsd » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:29 am

OrlandO wrote:Excuse me if I don't read too much into decisions made by our lame duck coach at this point. He's made a lot of head-scratching decisions with lineups/rotations/etc over 3 seasons and he's on track to be fired this summer.

It is true that Coach Vaughn's abject incompetence makes it difficult for us fans to see a direction going forward.

So yes, I would have also suggested not to read too much into it if Vaughn started AG at PF last night. As for AG, he's still 19 with a body that isn't done maturing, so I don't think it's clear what his long-term position will be. It could be SF or it could be PF, but I definitely won't look to Vaughn to give us any indication of that.

I am still left with to possibilities. Either GM Hennigan envisages Gordon-A muscling up and being a mainstay at starting PF with Harris slotting in at SF on a monster contract. Or Gordon-A stays svelte and works on a perimeter game to emerge as a starting SF, with Harris being part of a package to find an existing PF that can serve the team. Coach Vaughn's abject incompetence makes it difficult for me to parse between those two possibilities.

BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,238

Post#28 » by BadWolf » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:09 am

OrlandO wrote:
Gordon's actually played more PF than SF this season and his overall PER36 numbers look just as impressive. But I don't think AG being a good player has much to do with drsd's comment and my response to it. Excuse me if I don't read too much into decisions made by our lame duck coach at this point. He's made a lot of head-scratching decisions with lineups/rotations/etc over 3 seasons and he's on track to be fired this summer. So yes, I would have also suggested not to read too much into it if Vaughn started AG at PF last night. As for AG, he's still 19 with a body that isn't done maturing, so I don't think it's clear what his long-term position will be. It could be SF or it could be PF, but I definitely won't look to Vaughn to give us any indication of that.

If you want to continue blindly supporting Vaughn and defending him like some white knight then go for it, but I think at this point you're fighting a losing battle as even the most patient folks are done with him. He's got very, very few supporters left and I'm not sure even they could give reasons as to why he should be our coach next year. Keep in mind I am making these comments after giving Vaughn the benefit of the doubt and a pass for two and a half years...

82games has him 5% at Sf and 3% at PF, so approximatelly 1/3 of the time at PF. His stats are much better there per that site

http://www.82games.com/1415/14ORL9.HTM
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,041

Post#29 » by MagicStarwipe » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:54 pm

Take that with a grain of salt. For instance, do they even realise that when Aaron is on the court with Tobias, Aaron is actually the SF?
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
suckfish
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,273

Post#30 » by suckfish » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:11 pm

I was always telling people Predraft on the Bulls board that Gordon's form was better than advertised. It just wasn't that bad and was/is a shot that needs refinement but mostly just more reps day in day out.
OrlandO
RealGM

Post#31 » by OrlandO » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:19 am

BadWolf wrote:
OrlandO wrote:

82games has him 5% at Sf and 3% at PF, so approximatelly 1/3 of the time at PF. His stats are much better there per that site

http://www.82games.com/1415/14ORL9.HTM

Hmm, I was going by basketball reference, which says he's split 33% sf and 67% pf.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,890

Post#32 » by drsd » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:40 am

MagicStarwipe wrote:Take that with a grain of salt. For instance, do they even realise that when Aaron is on the court with Tobias, Aaron is actually the SF?

Long term the beauty here is that Harris would play PF on offense and rotate to allow Gordon-A play PF on defense. I am quite excited to see that play out. Is the 2015/16 season here yet???

Return to Orlando Magic