ImageImageImageImage

Magic Sign Scott Skiles To a Four Year Deal

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,159

Re: Breaking - Magic Sign Scott Skiles To a Four Year Deal 

Post#321 » by OrlChamps2030 » Sat May 30, 2015 6:08 am

orlandomike wrote:He is in the same vain as Steve kerr. He will make our guards better, he knows all positions and will take no excuses. He should create a tough team.

...what? He is the complete opposite of Kerr. Skiles is a retread that has bounced around for years while Kerr is a fresh face. Kerr took a great defensive team with some awesome offensive pieces and made them the best offense in the league. Skiles will take one of the worst defenses in the league and make them Good with an OK offense.

Im ok with the hire because it will give us some immediate results which this franchise needs. But I think his coaching career here will be easy to predict. 2015-2016 great defense mediocre offense, magic compete for the 7/8th seed. 2016-2017 repeat. Then gets fired the following season for wearing down on players/FO
magicship
Freshman
And1: 21

Post#322 » by magicship » Sat May 30, 2015 6:10 am

I love this hire. Out of the coaches who were available, this was the best fit. I have a good feeling he will be here for a very long time a see great success. We have a young core of players who genuinely love to play Defense first. This is the perfect for Skiles and our team. I think Payton will benefit greatly.. Also, Skiles and EP both wore 4. This was meant to be haha
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#323 » by OrlandO » Sat May 30, 2015 6:10 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UURgZTQhLuY[/youtube]
magicship
Freshman
And1: 21

Post#324 » by magicship » Sat May 30, 2015 6:21 am

...what? He is the complete opposite of Kerr. Skiles is a retread that has bounced around for years while Kerr is a fresh face. Kerr took a great defensive team with some awesome offensive pieces and made them the best offense in the league. Skiles will take one of the worst defenses in the league and make them Good with an OK offense.

Im ok with the hire because it will give us some immediate results which this franchise needs. But I think his coaching career here will be easy to predict. 2015-2016 great defense mediocre offense, magic compete for the 7/8th seed. 2016-2017 repeat. Then gets fired the following season for wearing down on players/FO[/quote]

I think two situations are similar being that both are coaching players they can relate to. As a player Kerr was a shooting now coaching Curry/Klay. Also Skiles was a tough competitor and now he's coaching Elf/Oladipo. Similar playing styles in both situations.

Are core of Payton/Gordon are not going to be wore out from any coach. These are two have too high of motors to be "wore down" this young. So I think this all comes down to how much you value the potential of these two. I belevie they game be all stars and having the right coach this early in their careers will allow Skiles to be in Orlando for a long time..
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,185

Re: Re: Breaking - Magic Sign Scott Skiles To a Four Year Deal 

Post#325 » by cedric76 » Sat May 30, 2015 6:37 am

OrlandO wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UURgZTQhLuY[/youtube]

Scott already in love with Gordon, elf and dipo
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,940

Post#326 » by OrlandoDream » Sat May 30, 2015 6:49 am

OrlandO wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UURgZTQhLuY[/youtube]

Whatever, Im excited. I like how he is ready to go and is already familiar with some of our players. Mentioning AG was a positive for me. Glad to see he noticed his abilities. Im pumped and cant wait to see how our guys will respond to the hire. Good feeling about this. Time for the soft players to be weed out.
Luciferswings
Banned User
And1: 66

Post#327 » by Luciferswings » Sat May 30, 2015 7:25 am

I almost forgot, Skiles had a beef with S.Jax too. Another model citizen.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,908

Post#328 » by drsd » Sat May 30, 2015 7:28 am

eyriq wrote:Skiles just seems like he's more substantial, and Rob's philosophic speaking comes off as extremely shallow in the face of Skiles' practical no nonsense approach.

I see this as a strong positive, as one wants the Coach to be the face/voice of the team and the GM to be "lurking" in the background trying to pick-off other teams' assets.

cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,185

Re: Re: Breaking - Magic Sign Scott Skiles To a Four Year Deal 

Post#329 » by cedric76 » Sat May 30, 2015 7:31 am

drsd wrote:
eyriq wrote:Skiles just seems like he's more substantial, and Rob's philosophic speaking comes off as extremely shallow in the face of Skiles' practical no nonsense approach.

I see this as a strong positive, as one wants the Coach to be the face/voice of the team and the GM to be "lurking" in the background trying to pick-off other teams' assets.

I love when they say:

I think we 'll never say that we are too tough lol
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,521

Post#330 » by shadrock » Sat May 30, 2015 7:36 am

eyriq wrote:TBH, I watched the presser twice now and I actually get the impression that Rob was uncomfortable with the hire, intimidated even, and that he senses that he's been diminished. That they went to such extents to emphasize Rob's Process™ and affirm his position of authority kind of seemed like attempts at affirming him in the face of this. Skiles just seems like he's more substantial, and Rob's philosophic speaking comes off as extremely shallow in the face of Skiles' practical no nonsense approach. It is going to be a very good pairing I think, but their visions could come into conflict as Skiles is a hell of a leader.

Wow you are way over analyzing this thing. Ill guarantee you now that even if Rob did feel bad about it, and I dont at all think he does, but even if he did there is no way in hell he'd show it.
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,521

Post#331 » by shadrock » Sat May 30, 2015 7:41 am

penn24 wrote:
eyriq wrote:TBH, I watched the presser twice now and I actually get the impression that Rob was uncomfortable with the hire, intimidated even, and that he senses that he's been diminished. That they went to such extents to emphasize Rob's Process™ and affirm his position of authority kind of seemed like attempts at affirming him in the face of this. Skiles just seems like he's more substantial, and Rob's philosophic speaking comes off as extremely shallow in the face of Skiles' practical no nonsense approach. It is going to be a very good pairing I think, but their visions could come into conflict as Skiles is a hell of a leader.

I picked up the same thing in reading the body language too, whether that was just projecting or not, I am not sure.

It's quite the juxtaposition to have Skiles sitting there straight-shooting next to Hennigan who says everything while saying nothing. Hard to see how their personalities (and professional approaches) mesh--also found it pretty funny that Skiles reacted to Mike Bianchi still being employed, looked around to share the laugh with Rob and Alex, found nothing...and then had to compose himself. Bianchi does suck, so I at least agree with Skiles' take on the very first issue of his tenure.

Pretty sure they just missed him reacting to Bianchi. To read into that is a bit crazy dude I mean cmon. Next it will be the Skiles comment about liking the old building better was an indicator he dislikes the Devos family, or have we already jumped to that conclusion?
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,006

Post#332 » by KillMonger » Sat May 30, 2015 7:49 am

giving it more time to marinate i'm feeling a bit better about Skiles, when he said that he has some personal things he's going to change that struck a chord with me maybe it'll be different here who knows. Either way though i'm expecting playoffs next season, wanted playoffs this year but this upcoming season? no youth excuse anymore, A LOT of work to do man.....draft, then dealing with what we're going to do with Tobias and Kyle to a lesser extent. We also got to overhaul this bench, we need a decent bench man no more of these cadavers coming off the bench man we need some production.

Elfrid
Dipo
Tobias
Vuc
AG
Fournier
Dedmon

Those are my mainstays, everyone else can kick rocks man even though i got a soft spot for Harkless and Nicholson
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Re: Breaking Story - Magic Sign Scott Skiles To a Four Year Deal (Presser at 6 PM) 

Post#333 » by MagicFan32 » Sat May 30, 2015 8:17 am

RickB-Orlando wrote:
MagicFan32 wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:Martins had NOTHING to do with this hire. Save your tin foil hats to eat your crow out of and drop it.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

so wrong, it's quite obvious this came from above
even hennigan said he didn't interview many
seems to go against the "process" if you ask me

Did you actually listen to what they said, or just turn the sound all the way down and insert your own commentary?

yes
and if you listened to henny with scott anez, you would figure out this whole "search" was a scam
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,534

Post#334 » by Furinkazan » Sat May 30, 2015 8:57 am

This thread is a keeper.
Gonna repost it 1.5 -2 season from now when you all cwy.

But it is what it is.
I can just keep rooting for this team
even though im not happy with the direction this is going.
Gomagic44
Head Coach
And1: 2,187

Post#335 » by Gomagic44 » Sat May 30, 2015 9:24 am

IMHO, I wont write anyone off for their paranoia of this organization. I have been listelessly hopeful for the past 3 seasons of our rebuild. Only to have my hopes crumble in the end. I...once again feel optimistic. I agreed to a point about the nepotism theory from a few posters. But with the way things played out in the last few days...I'm very excited for Scotty Skiles. I think he is going to whoop our young guns into shape and hold them accountable. :D

THIS IS THE YEAR! :nod:
Gomagic44
Head Coach
And1: 2,187

Post#336 » by Gomagic44 » Sat May 30, 2015 9:27 am

~Snoopy~ wrote:This thread is a keeper.
Gonna repost it 1.5 -2 season from now when you all cwy.

But it is what it is.
I can just keep rooting for this team
even though im not happy with the direction this is going.

I look forward to it! I don't mind being wrong!If Henny drafts/signs the appropriate personnel, I am willing to put my faith in the system.

p.s. I hope the process is real :lol:
Tcarl67
Sophomore
And1: 1

Re: Breaking Story - Magic Sign Scott Skiles To a Four Year Deal (Presser at 6 PM) 

Post#337 » by Tcarl67 » Sat May 30, 2015 10:56 am

SOUL wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOU_2sBzxCQ[/youtube]

Thanks for the throw back.
Focus
Sophomore
And1: 198

Post#338 » by Focus » Sat May 30, 2015 11:55 am

another thing to keep in mind, i see everyone referencing the skiles' record as 6 PO appearances in 13 seasons. If you look at his coaching record, 3 of those 13 seasons, he left mid-season. In 2 of those instances, he was hovering around 500 when he left.

A fairer assessment would probably be 6 postseason appearances in 10 full seasons. and prior to his bucks stint, it would be 5 PO appearances in 6 full seasons.

this is all to say that he's gotten results when provided with some talent. so i think a good hire for us at this point.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#339 » by tiderulz » Sat May 30, 2015 12:02 pm

AshBlackstone wrote:I personally love his style, but I'm not sure his style of coaching can work in 2015. Being a hard ass in today's league usually gets you fired, because most players are kind of prissy.

Hope I'm wrong, but his track record is rather mediocre.

tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#340 » by tiderulz » Sat May 30, 2015 12:03 pm

AussieBuck wrote:
Luciferswings wrote:Skiles beefing with players looks pretty justified in hindsight. Skiles thought guys like Jennings, Sanders, Dalembert, Tyrus Thomas, Eddy Curry, Sweeney, Monta, etc, had bad attitudes and weren't committed to winning. Out of those guys Monta is the only one who has really proven him wrong, and even then the jury is still out.

Skiles loved Jennings and Monta as well as a bunch of other boneheads like Gooden and Hakim Warrick. He didn't like Kidd, Noah, Bogut, Tobias etc. You're way off base.

if he didnt like Harris, why do they both say they kept in touch? and he had no problem developing Deng, Marion, Sanders. If he can develop Gordon in the same way, i would love it

Return to Orlando Magic