ImageImageImageImage

Orlando/Miami/Washington

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

magicfan1989
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: Orlando/Miami/Washington 

Post#41 » by magicfan1989 » Sun Jun 6, 2010 8:03 pm

But if Toronto gets involved and the trade involves Bosh coming to Orlando, I'd be all for giving up Gortat, Bass and both our draft picks.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,147

Post#42 » by Def Swami » Sun Jun 6, 2010 8:32 pm

The thing I dislike most about this proposed trade is that Gortat goes to our rivals to the south. I feel like our team doesn't get better in this trade, while Miami's does.
Deezy
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#43 » by Deezy » Sun Jun 6, 2010 8:43 pm

Hilltop wrote:Indeed I exaggerated by saying "significant upgrade". Still, he's much younger (I think he has a lot of room to grown on a better team and a change in scenery), and he's actually a decent defender in 1-on-1 situations. His long range shooting needs work and I'm not sure how well he'd do playing off the ball so much and standing in corners spacing the floor for us, but I do think Thornton is better than Barnes head-to-head.

Point taken.

IIRC, he's only three years younger, and with him playing off the ball he'd be a Barnes clone IMO, with worse shooting and less rebounding. I haven't watched much of his game, so I can't say if he really is the better 1-on-1 defender, but I'll take your word for it (despite the numbers saying the complete opposite). I guess in the end it just comes down to preference.

Honestly, I hope we have a better option than both of these guys next season. Well, in the starting lineup, at least. After reading that Pistons/Magic trade scenario thread, I really want Otis to do everything possible to bring Prince to Orlando.
TheChaser
Analyst
And1: 482

Post#44 » by TheChaser » Sun Jun 6, 2010 8:50 pm

Deezy wrote:
Hilltop wrote:Indeed I exaggerated by saying "significant upgrade". Still, he's much younger (I think he has a lot of room to grown on a better team and a change in scenery), and he's actually a decent defender in 1-on-1 situations. His long range shooting needs work and I'm not sure how well he'd do playing off the ball so much and standing in corners spacing the floor for us, but I do think Thornton is better than Barnes head-to-head.

Point taken.

IIRC, he's only three years younger, and with him playing off the ball he'd be a Barnes clone IMO, with worse shooting and less rebounding. I haven't watched much of his game, so I can't say if he really is the better 1-on-1 defender, but I'll take your word for it (despite the numbers saying the complete opposite). I guess in the end it just comes down to preference.

Honestly, I hope we have a better option than both of these guys next season. Well, in the starting lineup, at least. After reading that Pistons/Magic trade scenario thread, I really want Otis to do everything possible to bring Prince to Orlando.

I don't know...I'm a Florida State fan, and painfully I follow their basketball team too. Thornton is not quite a Barnes clone. This is why I said that this trade had potential. I believe, because I have not followed his NBA career, that Al shoots at a much higher volume than Matt. Matt, I believe is the better defender and Al would be a much better option at the SF offensively. Saying all that, I do not believe this "rumor" has any legs what so ever. After all, it came from a hip-hop website?
maginno wrote:There is nothing wrong with this team that putting a few unloaded guns in Carter's gym bag will not solve.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,402

Post#45 » by Bensational » Sun Jun 6, 2010 9:01 pm

i just can't see Miami adding to its salary unnecessarily until after it signs its big name FA's. in fact, i still see them trying to clear salary to chase the elite 3 dream.
MitchellUK
RealGM
And1: 2,882

Post#46 » by MitchellUK » Sun Jun 6, 2010 9:28 pm

Don't believe this for a second. Gortat, Anderson and two picks for Haslem, Thornton and Cook? Not buying it.
JKelt613
Sophomore
And1: 23

Post#47 » by JKelt613 » Sun Jun 6, 2010 9:29 pm

Haslem played 33 minutes a game for Van Gundy in Miami. He played 23 minutes a game as a rookie on a playoff team the year before, so obviously SVG trusts him and would play him.

The reason we don't use Bass more, as a starter or as a reserve, is because he isn't that good of a player.
silent4418
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#48 » by silent4418 » Sun Jun 6, 2010 9:40 pm

This scenario is garbage, imo. We would take two steps back to a 48-50 win team again if we went that route.

We have put together two excellent seasons using the stretch four, but I feel pretty strongly that we likely won't ever win a championship with it. That being said, I would rather keep it than end up half-assing an attempt at a conventional lineup like this deal would end up as.

Cook and Thornton are a dime a dozen. Haslem is barely in the top half of 4's in the league.
"There's people out there that need beaten up - he's one of them. And I have a moral obligation to society to beat him up." - Chael Sonnen
MitchellUK
RealGM
And1: 2,882

Post#49 » by MitchellUK » Sun Jun 6, 2010 9:46 pm

silent4418 wrote:This scenario is garbage, imo. We would take two steps back to a 48-50 win team again if we went that route.

We have put together two excellent seasons using the stretch four, but I feel pretty strongly that we likely won't ever win a championship with it. That being said, I would rather keep it than end up half-assing an attempt at a conventional lineup like this deal would end up as.

Cook and Thornton are a dime a dozen. Haslem is barely in the top half of 4's in the league.

IMO, Haslem would be a terrific addition - he's tough, defensive minded, does the little things. Thornton still has potential, and at the very least would be a solid role player. Cook is garbage. I don't buy us dealing arguably our two best trade chips - a starting quality centre and a 21 year old with the potential to be a big time scorer on the right team - plus picks for a very good role playing four, a solid wing player and an awful guard.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,818

Post#50 » by RookieStar » Sun Jun 6, 2010 10:10 pm

It's hard for me to believe this. We are in a win mode right now. Sure Haslem helps, but if we give up Ryan and Gortat for 2 "unprove" players in cook and al, then this is a step back for us.

59th pick is trash, the 29th is mediocore at best, but Gortat and Ryan deserves waaaaay better than just haslem, al and cook.
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 956

Post#51 » by Devin 1L » Sun Jun 6, 2010 10:23 pm

For those who would rather not have Stan around, this trade may do the trick.

The first time Pietrus, Thornton, Bass, and Howard saw the floor together, I'm quite certain he'd have a stroke.

Point guard brings the ball up the court, passes it to Thornton who has a wide open mid-range jumper, but decides instead drives it into a group of defenders in the lane missing a wild flip shot. Bass gets the rebound, because he has big biceps, but instead of going right back up with it he decides to take it out the elbow where he can face up his defender. After 4 jab steps, 7 pump fakes, and one "I almost fell while trying to decide between a jab step and pump fake" Bass eventually pulls the trigger on his mid-range jumper missing off the back of the iron. Chants of "he's still better than Anderson" are reportedly heard on RealGM. Dwight leaps over top of everyone for a spectacular rebound. Instead of keeping the ball high and going right back with the follow up he brings the ball down, tries to squeeze in at least three dribbles when the ball is slapped by opposing team's point guard. Ball bounces off Dwight's foot and into the hands of Mickael Pietrus who is, of course, waiting at the corner of the three point line. Not wanting to ruin this amazing sequence Pietrus promptly puts his left foot in and his right foot out, does the hokey pokey and then hands the ball to the ref.

Then, stroke.
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,514

Post#52 » by DiplomaticMagic » Sun Jun 6, 2010 10:23 pm

I honestly don't think it's that bad. I don't see Cook getting playing time, but Haslem and Thornton are pretty nice. Ryan Anderson isn't that good lol.

The problem is though both these teams are in our division. You don't want to help other teams.

But I think it has some legs, therevty said we were interested in Al thornton, and haslem seems perfect for our roster. And it doesn't sound like we're interested in our draft picks.
STOP PLAYING FULTZ
surflawyer
Analyst
And1: 19
Location: I love being on everyones IGNORE List ... no one ever disagrees with me ....

Post#53 » by surflawyer » Sun Jun 6, 2010 10:43 pm

:D ...... patiently waiting for maginno to politely ask for source of trade rumor.

....... now waiting for eyrig to ban me. LOL :lol:
"The first thing we need to do is kill all the attorneys."

William Shakespeare
Hotshot Hower
Veteran
And1: 98

Post#54 » by Hotshot Hower » Sun Jun 6, 2010 11:27 pm

surflawyer wrote::D ...... patiently waiting for maginno to politely ask for source of trade rumor.

:eek2: hahaha
robert_84s
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#55 » by robert_84s » Mon Jun 7, 2010 12:27 am

When was the last time 3 division rivals helped each other out? much less, when was the last time the Miami made a trade with Orlando?
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#56 » by The Effect » Mon Jun 7, 2010 12:51 am

Wow i hope this is a joke because thats a HORRIBLE trade for us

I wouldnt trade our 1st alone for Haslem, let alone gortat, ryno and our 2nd (to me Cook and Thornton are throw in who arent really worth anything and really i doubt they are even a part of the rotation)
woosah
RealGM
And1: 5,275

Post#57 » by woosah » Mon Jun 7, 2010 12:58 am

NO WAY this goes down. Whoever posted this on the hip hop site probably wanted to propose it to see the reaction, but didn't want to take credit for it because it just sucks.

Full of fail.
Woj is the new Bucher. Shams is the new Woj. Espn is the new TMZ. The NBA is the new WWE.
Boo.
TheChaser
Analyst
And1: 482

Post#58 » by TheChaser » Mon Jun 7, 2010 1:06 am

Devin 1L wrote:For those who would rather not have Stan around, this trade may do the trick.

The first time Pietrus, Thornton, Bass, and Howard saw the floor together, I'm quite certain he'd have a stroke.

Point guard brings the ball up the court, passes it to Thornton who has a wide open mid-range jumper, but decides instead drives it into a group of defenders in the lane missing a wild flip shot. Bass gets the rebound, because he has big biceps, but instead of going right back up with it he decides to take it out the elbow where he can face up his defender. After 4 jab steps, 7 pump fakes, and one "I almost fell while trying to decide between a jab step and pump fake" Bass eventually pulls the trigger on his mid-range jumper missing off the back of the iron. Chants of "he's still better than Anderson" are reportedly heard on RealGM. Dwight leaps over top of everyone for a spectacular rebound. Instead of keeping the ball high and going right back with the follow up he brings the ball down, tries to squeeze in at least three dribbles when the ball is slapped by opposing team's point guard. Ball bounces off Dwight's foot and into the hands of Mickael Pietrus who is, of course, waiting at the corner of the three point line. Not wanting to ruin this amazing sequence Pietrus promptly puts his left foot in and his right foot out, does the hokey pokey and then hands the ball to the ref.

Then, stroke.

:rofl: I know that we differ on the RA/Bass subject, but this is just hilarious.
maginno wrote:There is nothing wrong with this team that putting a few unloaded guns in Carter's gym bag will not solve.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#59 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Jun 7, 2010 2:01 am

surflawyer wrote::D ...... patiently waiting for maginno to politely ask for source of trade rumor.

:rofl:
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,235

Post#60 » by eyriq » Mon Jun 7, 2010 2:23 am

Return to Orlando Magic