ImageImageImageImage

The way we get our big man

Moderators: MagicMadness, Devin 1L, damo[23], Howard Mass, Hilltop, eyriq

solipsistalien
Ballboy
Posts: 19
And1: 0
Joined: Jul 17, 2010

Re: The way we get our big man 

Post#16 » by solipsistalien » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:57 am

SmiteaDwight wrote:U seriously post a thread about trading Nelson a few hours after he hits 2 clutch threes to give us a lead we don't give up while playing the Celtics?
firstblud
Ballboy
Posts: 47
And1: 0
Joined: May 29, 2010

Re: The way we get our big man 

Post#17 » by firstblud » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:50 am

I think the need to get a big a man is kind of blown out of proportion. what we lost in size, we partially make up with toughness. we've got people playing tougher (see Rashard and VC) and contributing to better team defense.
User avatar
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
Posts: 40,102
And1: 973
Joined: Dec 30, 2006
Location: Orlando/UCF. Always prefer Greece.
         

Re: The way we get our big man 

Post#18 » by AdamTheGreek » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:56 am

AgEnT50 wrote:LOL

Image

no


Fixed for added emphasis.
CraZyPraiZ
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,272
And1: 244
Joined: Nov 28, 2007
         

Re: The way we get our big man 

Post#19 » by CraZyPraiZ » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:56 am

SmiteaDwight wrote:U seriously post a thread about trading Nelson a few hours after he hits 2 clutch threes to give us a lead we don't give up while playing the Celtics?


+1 and a LOL.
User avatar
ayjaykhanna
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,441
And1: 1
Joined: Nov 27, 2010
Location: Orlando/Toronto

Re: The way we get our big man 

Post#20 » by ayjaykhanna » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:03 am

You're sh**ting me, right? LOL

Trading Jameer is like trading Orlando's heart away.

He's evolved into a clutch shooter over the years and this season.

Long live Mighty Mouse. \m/
MickaelPietrus
Banned User
Posts: 4,252
And1: 0
Joined: Apr 07, 2010

Re: The way we get our big man 

Post#21 » by MickaelPietrus » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:05 am

Good trade.
User avatar
Lauxman
Pro Prospect
Posts: 822
And1: 1
Joined: Dec 10, 2010
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: The way we get our big man 

Post#22 » by Lauxman » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:04 am

Awful, awful.

Jameer needs to stop playing like crap for 95% of the game, but he isn't going anywhere. Not for crap like that.
Image
User avatar
ADRajX
RealGM
Posts: 18,738
And1: 97
Joined: Aug 15, 2004
       

Re: The way we get our big man 

Post#23 » by ADRajX » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:26 am

ayjaykhanna wrote:You're sh**ting me, right? LOL

Trading Jameer is like trading Orlando's heart away.

He's evolved into a clutch shooter over the years and this season.

Long live Mighty Mouse. \m/

I agree...

PLUS, there is really no value, equal or better, that we would get in return for Jameer... there just isn't

Keep the good players on the team, depth is a blessing to have, don't worry about logjams at positions and which player gets what minutes... Nelson, Gil, Howard (~36 min), Turk, and J-Rich will all get ~28-32 minutes a night, save for Howard... with Redick, Anderson, and Bass getting ~24-28 a night, like always... there is no reason to trade Nelson, especially for an "insurance" back-up big who'll likely never play or will get 4-8 minutes a night, for any reason... and that backup big would be basically used for practice sessions mostly, just like with Duhon, Q, and Allen now

The only guys that are "trade-able" for a backup big are Duhon, Q, and Allen (and maybe Orton, if the other team requests, but even then, I'd hold off)... anyone else, such as Redick or Nelson, being used in a trade would be ridiculous and stupid by Otis... he could sign Earl Barron right now for extra cheap, and still keep Duhon, Q, and Allen for practice talents and depth on this team as well... case solved... and if I go by the rotations that SVG used last night and the minutes that were involved as an indicator for the future, it would probably look like this with a back-up big, such as Earl Barron:

PG: Nelson (30min)/Arenas (18min)/Williams (0min)/Duhon (0min)
SG: J-Rich (12min)/Redick (24min)/Arenas (12min)
SF: Hedo (30min)/J-Rich (18min)/Clark (0min)/Q-Rich (0min)
PF: Bass (28min)/Anderson (20min)/Clark (0min/Q-Rich (0min)
C : Howard (36min)/Anderson (8min)/Barron (4min)/Clark (0min)/Orton (0min)/Allen (0min)

Howard- 36 min
Nelson- 30 min
Arenas- 30 min
J-Rich- 30 min
Hedo- 30 min
Bass- 28 min
Anderson- 28 min
Redick- 24 min
Barron- 4 min (or this could go to Clark or Orton later this season)
Clark- 0 min
Williams- 0 min
Q-Rich- 0 min
Duhon- 0 min
Orton- 0 min
Allen- 0 min

That's a GREAT 8-9 man rotation, with great height, speed, agility, athleticism, youth, and veteran attributes... that's some deadly depth and options to have on this team... when you have guys like Clark, Williams, Duhon, Q-Rich, Allen, Orton, and possibly Barron (3rd unit) not getting any minutes at all on this team, you know you have a lot of crazy good starter quality players in the 1st and 2nd unit to work with, and we do

So let's just get it over with, sign some joe schmo 7 footer that can at least move laterally (yes, that's a knock on Malik Allen), and contest shots/rebound/bang downlow for a small bit when Howard is out
“Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don't resist them; that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.” - Laozi
Image
damo[23]
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
Posts: 8,520
And1: 57
Joined: Apr 08, 2005
Location: Retire #25

Re: The way we get our big man 

Post#24 » by damo[23] » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:29 am

Absolutely not.

First off the only "good" piece we get is Davis, and I dont want him on this team. Why are we trading our captain for a back up?

Duhon and QRich arent performing, but those backups we get in return are just not good. We give up a lot just for the sake of getting a back up. Both these guys could go and start on bad teams (well QRich could start on a good few levels, like he did with us).

I'd never do this trade.
User avatar
ADRajX
RealGM
Posts: 18,738
And1: 97
Joined: Aug 15, 2004
       

Re: The way we get our big man 

Post#25 » by ADRajX » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:32 am

@damo[23]

+1 ^
THANK YOU
That's what I'm saying! Why trade Nelson or Redick... OR EVEN TRADE Q, and Duhon for a backup big either? We could just sign one that is "competent" and has "lateral" movement, who can play for 4-8 minutes (or 0 minutes!) a night [cough, Barron, cough cough]

Just keep them, as much as I hate the thought of playing Q and Duhon during games for this team, they're better than other 3rd stringers (they can start for some teams), and they are great depth pieces, talent pieces, practice pieces, and insurance pieces to have on this team... just sign one "competent" backup big, and the Magic have THE DEEPEST team of quality players from player #1 to player #15, top to bottom, in the entire NBA... rotations would be set and there would be a plethora of options to go with in terms of lineups and match-ups/player adjustments... we could match-up with anytime, in any situation, defensively or offensively at all positions
“Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don't resist them; that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.” - Laozi
Image
User avatar
MiracleBZop
Sophomore
Posts: 149
And1: 0
Joined: Sep 05, 2008
Location: Sanford, FL

Re: The way we get our big man 

Post#26 » by MiracleBZop » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:39 am

damo[23] wrote:Absolutely not.

First off the only "good" piece we get is Davis, and I dont want him on this team. Why are we trading our captain for a back up?

Duhon and QRich arent performing, but those backups we get in return are just not good. We give up a lot just for the sake of getting a back up. Both these guys could go and start on bad teams (well QRich could start on a good few levels, like he did with us).

I'd never do this trade.

DJRajX wrote:@damo[23]

+1 ^
THANK YOU
That's what I'm saying! Why trade Nelson or Redick... OR EVEN TRADE Q, and Duhon for a backup big either? We could just sign one that is "competent" and has "lateral" movement, who can play for 4-8 minutes (or 0 minutes!) a night [cough, Barron, cough cough]

Just keep them, as much as I hate the thought of playing Q and Duhon during games for this team, they're better than other 3rd stringers (they can start for some teams), and they are great depth pieces, talent pieces, practice pieces, and insurance pieces to have on this team... just sign one "competent" backup big, and the Magic have THE DEEPEST team of quality players from player #1 to player #15, top to bottom, in the entire NBA... rotations would be set and there would be a plethora of options to go with in terms of lineups and match-ups/player adjustments... we could match-up with anytime, in any situation, defensively or offensively at all positions

DJRajX wrote:
ayjaykhanna wrote:You're sh**ting me, right? LOL

Trading Jameer is like trading Orlando's heart away.

He's evolved into a clutch shooter over the years and this season.

Long live Mighty Mouse. \m/

I agree...

PLUS, there is really no value, equal or better, that we would get in return for Jameer... there just isn't

Keep the good players on the team, depth is a blessing to have, don't worry about logjams at positions and which player gets what minutes... Nelson, Gil, Howard (~36 min), Turk, and J-Rich will all get ~28-32 minutes a night, save for Howard... with Redick, Anderson, and Bass getting ~24-28 a night, like always... there is no reason to trade Nelson, especially for an "insurance" back-up big who'll likely never play or will get 4-8 minutes a night, for any reason... and that backup big would be basically used for practice sessions mostly, just like with Duhon, Q, and Allen now

The only guys that are "trade-able" for a backup big are Duhon, Q, and Allen (and maybe Orton, if the other team requests, but even then, I'd hold off)... anyone else, such as Redick or Nelson, being used in a trade would be ridiculous and stupid by Otis... he could sign Earl Barron right now for extra cheap, and still keep Duhon, Q, and Allen for practice talents and depth on this team as well... case solved... and if I go by the rotations that SVG used last night and the minutes that were involved as an indicator for the future, it would probably look like this with a back-up big, such as Earl Barron:

PG: Nelson (30min)/Arenas (18min)/Williams (0min)/Duhon (0min)
SG: J-Rich (12min)/Redick (24min)/Arenas (12min)
SF: Hedo (30min)/J-Rich (18min)/Clark (0min)/Q-Rich (0min)
PF: Bass (28min)/Anderson (20min)/Clark (0min/Q-Rich (0min)
C : Howard (36min)/Anderson (8min)/Barron (4min)/Clark (0min)/Orton (0min)/Allen (0min)

Howard- 36 min
Nelson- 30 min
Arenas- 30 min
J-Rich- 30 min
Hedo- 30 min
Bass- 28 min
Anderson- 28 min
Redick- 24 min
Barron- 4 min (or this could go to Clark or Orton later this season)
Clark- 0 min
Williams- 0 min
Q-Rich- 0 min
Duhon- 0 min
Orton- 0 min
Allen- 0 min

That's a GREAT 8-9 man rotation, with great height, speed, agility, athleticism, youth, and veteran attributes... that's some deadly depth and options to have on this team... when you have guys like Clark, Williams, Duhon, Q-Rich, Allen, Orton, and possibly Barron (3rd unit) not getting any minutes at all on this team, you know you have a lot of crazy good starter quality players in the 1st and 2nd unit to work with, and we do

So let's just get it over with, sign some joe schmo 7 footer that can at least move laterally (yes, that's a knock on Malik Allen), and contest shots/rebound/bang downlow for a small bit when Howard is out


:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
MagicFan32
RealGM
Posts: 14,238
And1: 385
Joined: Jun 13, 2004

Re: The way we get our big man 

Post#27 » by MagicFan32 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:02 am

Idunkonyou2 wrote:I'm pretty sure most will hate this, but IMO it would be a great way to get our backup big and a solid backup PG.

Magic trade:

Nelson
QRich
Duhon
Allen

Clippers trade:

B. Davis
Jordan
Cook
Future 1st rounder

Magic after trade:

Arenas, Davis, Williams
Richardson, Redick
Hedo, Clark
Bass, Anderson, Cook
Howard, Jordan, Orton

Awful, just awful, Rather have Nelson than take Davis just to get Jordan.
With our TPE we should be able to get atleast one, if not two serviceable bigs, i'd say atleast one banger type to go against Boston, and perhaps a 3rd C thats more of a skill player

I would be looking at former Celtic Leon Powe, he's more of a PF but hes a tough inside player, should Anderson or Bass Falter he'd be great insurance, honestly Thabeet wouldn't be a bad idea, we just need some fouls and someone who can block shots......he can do those things
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
p0peye
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,836
And1: 238
Joined: Feb 27, 2006
 

Re: The way we get our big man 

Post#28 » by p0peye » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:17 pm

DJRajX wrote:PG: Nelson (30min)/Arenas (18min)/Williams (0min)/Duhon (0min)
SG: J-Rich (12min)/Redick (24min)/Arenas (12min)
SF: Hedo (30min)/J-Rich (18min)/Clark (0min)/Q-Rich (0min)
PF: Bass (28min)/Anderson (20min)/Clark (0min/Q-Rich (0min)
C : Howard (36min)/Anderson (8min)/Barron (4min)/Clark (0min)/Orton (0min)/Allen (0min)

Howard- 36 min
Nelson- 30 min
Arenas- 30 min
J-Rich- 30 min
Hedo- 30 min
Bass- 28 min
Anderson- 28 min
Redick- 24 min
Barron- 4 min (or this could go to Clark or Orton later this season)
Clark- 0 min
Williams- 0 min
Q-Rich- 0 min
Duhon- 0 min
Orton- 0 min
Allen- 0 min

That's a GREAT 8-9 man rotation, with great height, speed, agility, athleticism, youth, and veteran attributes... that's some deadly depth and options to have on this team... when you have guys like Clark, Williams, Duhon, Q-Rich, Allen, Orton, and possibly Barron (3rd unit) not getting any minutes at all on this team, you know you have a lot crazy good starter quality players in the 1st and 2nd unit to work with, and we do

So let's just get it over with, sign some joe schmo 7 footer that can at least move laterally (yes, that's a knock on Malik Allen), and contest shots/rebound/bang downlow for a small bit when Howard is out


Im with you on everything, except on those 12 mins for backup C, which I think should go to that joe schmo 7 footer (Kosta Koufos?), while Anderson or Bass jumps in only when Dwight is in foul trouble.
Badass of the week: Milunka Savic
Single most-decorated female soldier in world military history.
User avatar
ADRajX
RealGM
Posts: 18,738
And1: 97
Joined: Aug 15, 2004
       

Re: The way we get our big man 

Post#29 » by ADRajX » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:22 pm

p0peye wrote:
DJRajX wrote:PG: Nelson (30min)/Arenas (18min)/Williams (0min)/Duhon (0min)
SG: J-Rich (12min)/Redick (24min)/Arenas (12min)
SF: Hedo (30min)/J-Rich (18min)/Clark (0min)/Q-Rich (0min)
PF: Bass (28min)/Anderson (20min)/Clark (0min/Q-Rich (0min)
C : Howard (36min)/Anderson (8min)/Barron (4min)/Clark (0min)/Orton (0min)/Allen (0min)

Howard- 36 min
Nelson- 30 min
Arenas- 30 min
J-Rich- 30 min
Hedo- 30 min
Bass- 28 min
Anderson- 28 min
Redick- 24 min
Barron- 4 min (or this could go to Clark or Orton later this season)
Clark- 0 min
Williams- 0 min
Q-Rich- 0 min
Duhon- 0 min
Orton- 0 min
Allen- 0 min

That's a GREAT 8-9 man rotation, with great height, speed, agility, athleticism, youth, and veteran attributes... that's some deadly depth and options to have on this team... when you have guys like Clark, Williams, Duhon, Q-Rich, Allen, Orton, and possibly Barron (3rd unit) not getting any minutes at all on this team, you know you have a lot of crazy good starter quality players in the 1st and 2nd unit to work with, and we do

So let's just get it over with, sign some joe schmo 7 footer that can at least move laterally (yes, that's a knock on Malik Allen), and contest shots/rebound/bang downlow for a small bit when Howard is out


Im with you on everything, except on those 12 mins for backup C, which I think should go to that joe schmo 7 footer (Kosta Koufos?), while Anderson or Bass jumps in only when Dwight is in foul trouble.


Hey, that works for me 8-) ... I say, just get anyone that's 6'10 or taller and "competent", who can play physical, who is at least 31 years old or younger, and who has lateral quickness to defend (and can at least get a hand up to contest shots/alter shots, and maybe snatch a couple boards/keep the ball alive here and there)... and Bass & Anderson showed that they can play tough physical ball in the frontcourt together

Magic are set once they get that backup big... and they don't really have to trade anyone to get one... but if they do, Q and Duhon are probably the definite ones to go... however, I see no reason why they would have to... just sign a guy like Barron or Koufos, and be done with it
“Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don't resist them; that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.” - Laozi
Image
User avatar
laVal03
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,511
And1: 6
Joined: Oct 08, 2007
Location: Da Burg

Re: The way we get our big man 

Post#30 » by laVal03 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:28 pm

hell no
User avatar
SEBAS-07
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,795
And1: 12
Joined: May 30, 2010

Re: The way we get our big man 

Post#31 » by SEBAS-07 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:57 pm

Would anyone do this?

-Trade Jason Williams and Malik Allen for Hamed Haddadi.

-Trade Duhon to Golden State for a second round pick,why? GSW are looking for a backup PG Duhon does not turn the ball over and is good at the pick and roll.David Lee has chemistry with Duhon.

-Sign Earl Barron because Orton is recovering.

-Sign Anthony Johnson.

Lineup

Nelson/Arenas/AJ
JRich/Redick
Hedo/Clark/Q
Anderson/Bass
Dwight/Barron/Haddadi
Smart / Micic / D. Wright
Wiggins / Exum / J. Adams
Parker / K. Anderson / Mcdermott
Randle / Vonleh / Stokes
Embiid / Nurkic/ Tavares
p0peye
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,836
And1: 238
Joined: Feb 27, 2006
 

Re: The way we get our big man 

Post#32 » by p0peye » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:03 pm

No.
Badass of the week: Milunka Savic
Single most-decorated female soldier in world military history.
User avatar
ayjaykhanna
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,441
And1: 1
Joined: Nov 27, 2010
Location: Orlando/Toronto

Re: The way we get our big man 

Post#33 » by ayjaykhanna » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:20 pm

LOL we should get Adonal Foyle out of retirement :lol:

Or how about the guy that everyone in Orlando hates (inc. me) : RASHEED WALLACE lololol
User avatar
Last Guardian
RealGM
Posts: 20,426
And1: 463
Joined: Feb 22, 2004
Location: New Jersey
 

Re: The way we get our big man 

Post#34 » by Last Guardian » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:27 pm

Of course I would love a 7 foot backup to Dwight, but I am liking the hustle and activity that Bass + Anderson are bringing.
User avatar
ORLMagicGirl15
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,264
And1: 495
Joined: Aug 03, 2010
 

Re: The way we get our big man 

Post#35 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:45 pm

What is wrong with some posters wanting to trade Nelson in EVERY trade? Can't you see that Nelson is an efficient PG when playing the half court game and Gilbert is effective when we're running up and down, just be blessed that we have TWO great PG for the Magic.

And as for wanting B. Davis for Nelson, NO! Nelson is just fine here. Might Mouse is the heart of this ball club, he needs to stay. If we need a backup big, NO WAY do we trade a starter for one. And I personally think that we should let Clark have that responsibility as a backup for now, and see if we can develop him a little more in that position. It would give him more minutes.
Image

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

Go Magic, Go Dwight, Go JJ Redick :)

Return to Orlando Magic