ImageImageImageImage

#15 UCF Football [10-1]: @ SMU

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

OMPunk
Lead Assistant
And1: 9

Re: UCF Football[2-1]: vs Missouri Tigers (noon kickoff) 

Post#821 » by OMPunk » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:46 am

AdamTheGreek wrote:Some of the local sports talk guys are really worried this game won't be a sell out. I think it's a shoe-in that we'll fill up the Bounce House. SEC opponent. Plus, no one has anything better going on at noon on a Saturday. Game ends by 4, you can still do anything you want in the evening.

I'll be shocked and ashamed if there's an empty seat.

I think we've only sold out a couple of games at Brighthouse overall, somehow I don't think this will be one of them. It'll be close, but I think we'll be a thousand or so away from a sell out. I'll be doing my part in my usual seats.
Random Laker Fan wrote:Glad to have Dwight on my team but dude is a fraud and a clown at the same time. He's like one of those guys that makes up stories to get a reaction from people who he thinks cares.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#822 » by craig01 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:45 pm

Should be very close.

I just hope that most get seated before halftime....lol
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#823 » by AdamTheGreek » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:06 pm

A LOT of Mizzou people here. Tiny tailgate, but having a full stadium is all that matters.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#824 » by Nemesis21 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:35 pm

:nonono:
Magic_believer
Sophomore
And1: 7

Re: UCF Football[2-2]: vs ECU 

Post#825 » by Magic_believer » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:02 pm

When can Oleary leave? Week after week we can not come up with a big win
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod
And1: 1,073

Post#826 » by UCF » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:05 pm

I'm hoping he retires after this year. Problem is who replaces him?!?

O'Leary takes a lot of the blame for today but Bortles killed us with his decisions.
AdamTheGreek
RealGM

Post#827 » by AdamTheGreek » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:06 pm

That was beyon frustrating, and I was in the first row of the student section too. Defense couldn't do much better. Too many screens on offense. Bortles played scared. Just too conservative. We had them. Same **** different day.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,147

Post#828 » by Optimus_Steel » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:32 am

Typical GOL choke job.
aka: prorl
silent1900
Rookie
And1: 338

Post#829 » by silent1900 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:24 am

When Bortles took that sack to end the first half (just horrible on his part) you just knew...another one was going to slip away.

UCF was as dominant in the first half as we've seen...think it was like 20 first downs to 6 at that point...and could only turn it into a three point lead. Then one big play erases a half's worth of dink-and-dunk ball control.

And the thing is...UCF has the ability to make big plays. You think Hall, McDuffie, and Godfrey can't get a step on their guy on a post or a slant??? But instead it is just screen after screen after screen after screen...

:roll: :roll: :roll:
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#830 » by craig01 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:06 am

This prehistoric offense has reached an end to me.

The problem is schemes, execution, and philosophy.

Charley Taaffe is in his third year OC, but the offense is identical to Tim Salem's (the previous OC). It sucks.

Years ago, I gave up expecting UCF to pull an upset against BCS teams, and the reason is because GOL is a small-time coach, purporting to run a big-time program.

He has done a lot of good things, but lets face it.....he is a lousy game day coach.

GOL sent in the kick team on third down just before the half.....

UCF scored late in the fourth with a chance to close the gap to 3 points if UCF was to be successful on a 2-point conversion.

Instead, the sidelines sent in the kick team......which wasted what could have been an important time out....let's see, 21-18 possibly....or 21-17 with 4 minutes left.

GOL said Bortles indecision to get rid of the ball at the finish of the 18-play drive before the half, was "dumb".

It was.

But so were the idiotic failures by the coaching staff during this game....and many other games as well. The coach's in-game management is dumb as well. Call yourself out George....you consistently have failed as a winner.

But at least your big-game failures are consistent.

The offensive passing schemes are at best high-schoolish.....and this team's constant failures to "grab dessert" by beating anybody that either has a reputation or excellent standing during a season are exasperating to say the least.

The worst part of this, is that this team does have decent talent.....but a lot of it stands idle with production and /or participation.

George.....IT IS TIME.

GOL ran his course a few years back....IT IS TIME PAST DUE for change...

craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#831 » by craig01 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:08 am

Charley Taaffe is in his third year OC, but the offense is identical to Tim Salem's (the previous OC). It sucks.

Years ago, I gave up expecting UCF to pull an upset against BCS teams, and the reason is because GOL is a small-time coach, purporting to run a big-time program.

He has done a lot of good things, but lets face it.....he is a lousy game day coach.

UCF scored late in the fourth with a chance to close the gap to 3 points if UCF was to be successful on a 2-point conversion.

Instead, the sidelines sent in the kick team......which wasted what could have been an important time out....let's see, 21-18 possibly....or 21-17 with 4 minutes left.

GOL said Bortles indecision to get rid of the ball at the finish of the 18-play drive before the half, was "dumb".

It was.

But so were the idiotic failures by the coaching staff during this game....and many other games as well. The coach's in-game management is dumb as well. Call yourself out George....you consistently have failed as a winner.

The offensive passing schemes are at best high-schoolish.....and this team's constant failures to "grab dessert" by beating anybody that either has a reputation or excellent standing during a season are exasperating to say the least.

The worst part of this, is that this team does have decent talent.....but a lot of it stands idle with production and /or participation.

George.....IT IS TIME.

craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#832 » by craig01 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:08 am

It was.

George.....IT IS TIME.

UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,416

Post#833 » by UCFJayBird » Tue Oct 2, 2012 1:57 pm

craig01 wrote:This prehistoric offense has reached an end to me.

It was.

George.....IT IS TIME.

So nice, you posted thrice.

But seriously, agree with everything you said. That was one of the hottest game day experiences I've ever sat through, and if we had won I would've said well worth it. Heck if we had lost but played aggressive, it would've been worth it. But losing in that fashion just made it so much worse.

So sick of this conservative run the ball and then throw a screen crap. Yea it's good time management, but if you're not taking a few shots down field it's not going to win games because the other team will just play the line and limit you to 2-3 yards a play.

I don't think we challenged downfield once. And I don't mean some 50 yard bomb. Is it really that to ask for a 20 yard throw?
AdamTheGreek
RealGM

Post#834 » by AdamTheGreek » Tue Oct 2, 2012 7:43 pm

And Bortles actually throws a decent bomb too. I kept screaming at how Quincy and Hall were continuously being single covered when you saw the safety would show blitz or cheat forward too much. Make them **** pay.

I bet you we get a better crowd Thursay night against East Carolina. The 8 p.m. time pisses me off though. Won't get home until past midnight.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#835 » by craig01 » Thu Oct 4, 2012 12:24 am

Campus closes around noon.....I'll be setting up camp around 1

Hopefully the rain misses us

UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#836 » by UCF » Fri Oct 5, 2012 1:22 am

Game started ugly, just need to finish plays now to take control.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#837 » by craig01 » Fri Oct 5, 2012 9:22 am

UCF wrote:Game started ugly, just need to finish plays now to take control.

ECU is a bad team.

UCF, once awakened, responded well.

Student turnout was great, as for season ticket holders.....crappy.....32K announced, probably 25K in the stands

I believe that the continually decreasing attendance ought to be sending a message to Dr Hitt about the declining support.

That message is pretty obvious.....boosters, students, and casual fans have had enough of this regime....and won't show up as often....and when they do show up probably won't stay into the 3rd quarter.

The brand here is outdated, boring, PROVEN to be inconsistent, and now......disengaging

Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,147

Post#838 » by Optimus_Steel » Fri Oct 5, 2012 2:18 pm

craig01 wrote:
UCF wrote:Game started ugly, just need to finish plays now to take control.

ECU is a bad team.

UCF, once awakened, responded well.

Student turnout was great, as for season ticket holders.....crappy.....32K announced, probably 25K in the stands

I believe that the continually decreasing attendance ought to be sending a message to Dr Hitt about the declining support.

That message is pretty obvious.....boosters, students, and casual fans have had enough of this regime....and won't show up as often....and when they do show up probably won't stay into the 3rd quarter.

The brand here is outdated, boring, PROVEN to be inconsistent, and now......disengaging

There is no doubt that GOL has turned away alot of the fan base. Hitt is one stubborn man, I guess thats why O'Leary is still here, they have that in common.
aka: prorl
AdamTheGreek
RealGM

Post#839 » by AdamTheGreek » Fri Oct 5, 2012 4:20 pm

Speed kills:
Quincy is a big time baller. He can make the most boring dump down pass or screen into a massive touchdown.

It surprisingly didn't rain that much at the game. Everywhere else around Orlando it was pouring. I had a really fun night. Students did a great job of staying loud. But yeah, few casual fans and even a big chunk of season ticket holders weren't there.

Friends were spotting me in the front row a lot during the CBS College Sports Network broadcast. I also caught Moffitt's very nice field goal that put us up 40-20 (I called it too, right down the middle in my chest). So that was the cherry on top. He had some wind behind him, but guy has a leg for sure. Could've drilled it from 60. I also ended up doing a UCF TV interview during our touchdown drive so that'll be weird. I'm not looking at the camera at all, could barely hear the lady, and my eyes are still red from my LASIK.

I hope Jonathan Davis and Jordan Rae are both okay. They're key pieces on each side of the ball.

Special teams, and then eventually the defense had to cover for a lot of weak offensive drives and **** ups. Can't believe ECU was dumb enough to kick to Quincy. Even Mizzou knew that. Storm and Murray did look decent though. Unfortunately our o-line can do better in creating holes. Bortles still stares at his wide outs, but he looked a lot more relaxed even under pressure. Even when our defense missed assignments early, they did end up learning from those mistakes. We started gang tackling and had no problem lighting up guys. It'll get better.

But yeah, ECU isn't what they used to be despite a fair 3-2 record coming in.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Re: UCF Football[3-2]: vs Southern Miss 

Post#840 » by UCF » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:06 pm

Looks like we signed a home and home agreement with Maryland. Should be a fun series! Playing there in 2016 and hosting on 2017.

http://www.fbschedules.com/2012/10/mary ... schedules/

Return to Orlando Magic