ImageImageImageImage

Like Magic we have Cap Space for summer of 2012

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Reverse_Angle
Assistant Coach
And1: 262

Re: Like Magic we have Cap Space for summer of 2012 

Post#41 » by Reverse_Angle » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:32 pm

recko321 wrote:http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=dyea2tb

could we start with something like this?

not sure if serious. something about his contract?

"Aaron Gordon will cost Henny's job by Dec 2016." Predicted Dec 2014.

"O'Quinn will have a longer and more successful NBA career than Nicholson." Predicted Jun 2012. Verified on Dec 2014.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,116

Post#42 » by Def Swami » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:34 pm

johnhollinger John Hollinger
Break down the cap rules and trade assets, and it's highly unlikely Chris Paul becomes a Knick (Insider) es.pn/rHzm5F

I couldn't open the link but I'd be interested to see how Hollinger figures.
dsg2021
Analyst
And1: 1,030

Post#43 » by dsg2021 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:35 pm

ezzzp wrote:Dwight will opt out for sure; and when he does he puts a 150% cap hold ($30M) on the Magic cap.

• If he wants to stay with the Magic, he obviously would want to help improve the Magic roster and thus has to opt out to give Magic best possible options. If he wants to leave then he has to opt out to become a free agent.

What is very likely is that Arenas would restructure for the equivalent of the stretch provision, so next summer Arenas could restructure something like this (without leaving any money on the table): 8 / 8.25 / 8.5 / 8.75 / 9 = 5yr / $43m

• This would allow the Magic to use Amnesty clause on Hedo’s $12M (2012-13 salary)

• Those two maneuvers would give the Magic a payroll of aprox. $54M (not counting any new contracts which are inevitable to fill the 2-3 roster spots). When Dwight opts out, his contract cap hold will raise the payroll to aprox. $64M (not counting any new contracts)

• To get DWill or CP3 the Magic have to have room below the cap for a max salary plus Dwight's 150% ($30M) cap hold. The max salary last year was aprox. $16M – that means that - on top of using the amnesty provision and restructuring Arenas - prior to the summer of 2012, the Magic must figure out a way to clear away at least $22M (+ any new contracts). In other words trade away Nelson, Bass, Q, Duhon for ZERO salary in return and not pick up or trade away JJ’s last year option.

This would of course leave the Magic with a bare bones roster (like Miami) to fill with minimum contracts and a $3M MLE:

CP3 or DWill / Arenas
?? / Liggins / Arenas
?? / Harper
Anderson / Harper
Howard / ??

No matter what the Magic are going to have to start from scratch with or without Dwight. It is very unlikely the current roster can win a trophy so you might as well begin the rebuild process before the trade deadline and gut the roster (with the exception of Anderson) for draft picks and cap space.

In my opinion this looks like a brighter future. If Howard and DWill/CP3 sign – you have a great core, if they don’t you have enormous cap space and whatever draft picks acquired to begin to rebuild right away.

I don't know if it has to trade away all those players becuase of Dwight's cap hold, if his cap hold really stays after he opts out, then wouldnt he be better extending a new deal but not really make any raises on it. That would help the Magic most then, by giving CP3/D-Will/the roster more space to sign with.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#44 » by Def Swami » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:35 pm

Reverse_Angle wrote:
recko321 wrote:http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=dyea2tb

could we start with something like this?

not sure if serious. something about his contract?

It's a big expiring contract. lol at +1 win
dsg2021
Analyst

Post#45 » by dsg2021 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:37 pm

VGOSWAMI wrote:johnhollinger John Hollinger
Break down the cap rules and trade assets, and it's highly unlikely Chris Paul becomes a Knick (Insider) es.pn/rHzm5F

Its the Knicks only have 11-14.5mil to offer CP3 and their only trade asset is Fields when other teams will offer more assets than 1 for CP3.
Darth Magic
Veteran
And1: 701

Post#46 » by Darth Magic » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:42 pm

dsg2021 wrote:

Its the Knicks only have 11-14.5mil to offer CP3 and their only trade asset is Fields when other teams will offer more assets than 1 for CP3.

I noted this earlier. If it comes down to a sign and trade for Paul between us and the Knicks we will get Paul, and it's not even close.
"Real Gs move in silence; like lasagna" Jeff Weltman
SubyWill
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#47 » by SubyWill » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:55 pm

Jameer, JJ, Anderson, Bass, Clark, draft pick and money.

Whatever the hell they want, but if it came down between the Magic or the Knicks, the Magic would win.
frog
Junior
And1: 0

Post#48 » by frog » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:09 pm

Some people are a bit curious about cap holds so here's my best explanation:

Cap holds are solely in place to prevent teams from signing free agents from other teams to fill up their cap and then signing their own free agents using bird rights to go over the cap. Cap holds close a loophole.

So, when Dwight becomes a free agent, his 150% cap hold won't really matter because he'll re-sign with us and we will have room to sign CP3 OR we renounce the right to sign him(or he signs somewhere else first) if he doesn't want to play for the magic, thereby removing the cap hold in both situations.

If a team is over the cap (like we've been for years) then the teams don't bother renouncing the hold (for trade purposes but I won't get into that). For example, we still have a $7.7M cap hold from none other than PAT GARRITY. lolz (And Karl Malone still has a cap hold with the lakers too)

Good 'ol shamsports.com has all the goodies if you want to know more.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#49 » by Def Swami » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:20 pm

Darth Magic wrote:
dsg2021 wrote:

I noted this earlier. If it comes down to a sign and trade for Paul between us and the Knicks we will get Paul, and it's not even close.

You both bring up very good points that I didn't think of. Of course, the Hornets, once sold, are going to deal CP3 if he says he's gone. And there are only so few places he can go to compete for a championship. NYK landing Melo last year took them out of that running. O-Sen recently proposed an idea that I was skeptical of til you guys just clarified some things:

Offer PG Jameer Nelson, SG J.J. Redick, SF Hedo Turkoglu and PF Brandon Bass and two first-round picks for Paul AND C Emeka Okafor.
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports ... ent-page-1

If CP3 is dealt by trade, which I imagine he will be, then we got as good a shot as any.
dsg2021
Analyst

Post#50 » by dsg2021 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:29 pm

frog wrote:Some people are a bit curious about cap holds so here's my best explanation:

Cap holds are solely in place to prevent teams from signing free agents from other teams to fill up their cap and then signing their own free agents using bird rights to go over the cap. Cap holds close a loophole.

So, when Dwight becomes a free agent, his 150% cap hold won't really matter because he'll re-sign with us and we will have room to sign CP3 OR we renounce the right to sign him(or he signs somewhere else first) if he doesn't want to play for the magic, thereby removing the cap hold in both situations.

If a team is over the cap (like we've been for years) then the teams don't bother renouncing the hold (for trade purposes but I won't get into that). For example, we still have a $7.7M cap hold from none other than PAT GARRITY. lolz (And Karl Malone still has a cap hold with the lakers too)

Good 'ol shamsports.com has all the goodies if you want to know more.

Good info. Thank you frog. I saw the Garrity hold too and lol'ed. :lol:
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#51 » by mhectorgato » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:32 pm

magicman123 wrote:The x factor will be Gilbert though

You are correct .. because we will X out his contract via amnesty ;)
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#52 » by Nyce_1 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:32 pm

our trade package would look so much sexier with Gortat/Vince's expiring/Pietrus' expiring included.
Darth Magic
Veteran

Post#53 » by Darth Magic » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:38 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:our trade package would look so much sexier with Gortat/Vince's expiring/Pietrus' expiring included.

Yeah...it would :(
dsg2021
Analyst

Post#54 » by dsg2021 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:54 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:our trade package would look so much sexier with Gortat/Vince's expiring/Pietrus' expiring included.

Those expirings don't help much because teams with cap space would trade for CP3 and not need expirings, they take on the extra money because they can and NOH is not stuck paying the final year/partial of VC/Pietrus.

The expirings/filler that help deals are younger players like JJ/Bass/Ryan/Harper/Orton/Liggins/future picks, who are not technical expirings but rookie salaried TOs, POs, and ungarantuees. NOH plays them out in the season in their system/coaching style, see who they want to keep/let go. They are in the driver seat. Losing Gortat does suck, he wouldn't have been expiring in any form but is a hell ofa center to have.
Jamaicankid21
Rookie
And1: 9

Post#55 » by Jamaicankid21 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:55 pm

I know that Gilbert won't restructure his contract just to restructure it, but how do incentives work? For example, Brandon Jacobs of the New York Giants restructured his base salary and the Giants would pay him more in incentives which actually made his contract worth more, so they could sign Ahmad Bradshaw. Couldn't Orlando try and do the same thing with Gilbert Arenas? I know Football and Basketball are two different worlds that's why I'm asking
twitter.com/seanreaves21
League of Legends: ShadowLocs
Darth Magic
Veteran

Post#56 » by Darth Magic » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:15 pm

Jamaicankid21 wrote:I know that Gilbert won't restructure his contract just to restructure it, but how do incentives work? For example, Brandon Jacobs of the New York Giants restructured his base salary and the Giants would pay him more in incentives which actually made his contract worth more, so they could sign Ahmad Bradshaw. Couldn't Orlando try and do the same thing with Gilbert Arenas? I know Football and Basketball are two different worlds that's why I'm asking

Technically it's not restructuring, its resigning. We could give him more money, but spread it over a longer time period. For example we owe him 42 million as at summer 2012. If he opts out, we could resign him for 5 yrs @ 10 million a years which would be a 50 million contract, and 8 more than he is currently owed. In addition, the first year of the salary would be lower because of the raises.
Magic#1
General Manager
And1: 1,102

Post#57 » by Magic#1 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:15 pm

Very nice post. We'd be foolish to trade Dwight this season. Based purely on conjecture, it doesn't seem like the lockout has helped us in keeping him, but it's far, far from over. Also, I don't blame Dwight for keeping his options open. As our roster is now, do you blame him? New Jersey/Brooklyn could be a serious threat, but if we are smart with the amnesty and cap clearing, we're just as much in the game as others are. I don't completely agree that we would be the clear cut favorite over New York (D'Antoni would be tempting for any pg to play with), but only one of CP3/Deron could go there. Basically, at this moment, an "abandon ship" mindset isn't necessary. This format is possible.
Darth Magic
Veteran

Post#58 » by Darth Magic » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:19 pm

Magic#1 wrote:Very nice post. We'd be foolish to trade Dwight this season. Based purely on conjecture, it doesn't seem like the lockout has helped us in keeping him, but it's far, far from over. Also, I don't blame Dwight for keeping his options open. As our roster is now, do you blame him? New Jersey/Brooklyn could be a serious threat, but if we are smart with the amnesty and cap clearing, we're just as much in the game as others are. I don't completely agree that we would be the clear cut favorite over New York (D'Antoni would be tempting for any pg to play with), but only one of CP3/Deron could go there. Basically, at this moment, an "abandon ship" mindset isn't necessary. This format is possible.

Very true
InFlames
RealGM
And1: 3,176

Post#59 » by InFlames » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:22 pm

VGOSWAMI wrote:If CP3 is dealt by trade, which I imagine he will be, then we got as good a shot as any.

If it's true about Paul being open to play in LAC, their offer of Eric Gordon/Minny 1st blows anything we have out of the water.
InFlames
RealGM
And1: 3,176

Post#60 » by InFlames » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:23 pm

Double Post

Return to Orlando Magic