ImageImageImageImage

Magic Select Andrew Nicholson with 19th Pick

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Re: Magic Select Andrew Nicholson with 19th Pick 

Post#301 » by Cigamodnalro » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:43 pm

AdamTheGreek wrote:
claudio-br wrote:is it me or Nicholson's game resembles Carl Landry, who is an underrated player?

He annihilated Landry last night on both ends.

I like the David West comparison that's been thrown around since he was in college better.
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
BaunceyChillups
Sixth Man
And1: 317

Post#302 » by BaunceyChillups » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:17 pm

I don't think Andrew's that much like West aside from the fact they're both good pick-and-pop guys. David West's handle was excellent for a 4, he could pull up off the dribble in his earlier days.

I think a shorter Al Jefferson is a better comp for Andrew.
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#303 » by MagicFan32 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:04 pm

I like that Drew's rebounding is improving over his last 4 games, he's got amazing footwork it's crazy that he just started playing in high school
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,854

Post#304 » by KillMonger » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:11 pm

I'll take that Al Jefferson comparison, but i think Andrew has more potential both offensively because offensively i can easily see Andrew's range extending to the 3pt line range that Jefferson doesn't have.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,060

Post#305 » by Optimus_Steel » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:30 pm

He is like a mix of Al Jefferson and Luis Scola. This kid has tremendous touch and instincts. His confidence is just growing by leaps and bounds.
aka: prorl
gamer4Life
General Manager
And1: 1,077

Post#306 » by gamer4Life » Sat Jul 6, 2013 10:25 pm

The Effect wrote:
drsd wrote:
gamer4Life wrote:Nicholson will make Magic fans forget all about Dwight Howard. Best PF in Magic history, book it.

:crazy:

:nod:
Neon1
RealGM
And1: 1,576

Post#307 » by Neon1 » Sat Jul 6, 2013 11:21 pm

BaunceyChillups wrote:I don't think Andrew's that much like West aside from the fact they're both good pick-and-pop guys. David West's handle was excellent for a 4, he could pull up off the dribble in his earlier days.

I don't even know why people argue this comparison. It is like watching a carbon copy of Big Al.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWm3foYmIGA[/youtube]
A smart coach once said, "Potential just means you're not good enough yet." Playing on potential is like living on air: It's essential, but if thats all you have, you're eventually going to starve.

Twitter: @CleonONE IG: @usaidwhatnah
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,126

Post#308 » by rcklsscognition » Sun Jul 7, 2013 12:11 am

Very similar. I don't think I've seen Al play more than a game or two, never took notice of him in general. Games look identical. AN just needs to add some weight.
TDJacksonville
Assistant Coach
And1: 242

Post#309 » by TDJacksonville » Sun Jul 7, 2013 12:17 am

jefferson isnt much talller than Nicholson. Jefferson is 6 foot 10 and Nicholson is 6 foot 9
Trailblazers
PG:
SG:
F:
F:
C:
Wzajan89 @ gmail . com
D J C
Pro Prospect
And1: 515

Post#310 » by D J C » Sun Jul 7, 2013 12:28 am

They actually both measured in at 6'8.5" w/o shoes, but Al was measured about 4 years younger than AN though so he most likely grew a bit. Drew did have 2" longer wingspan too. Only thing that's separating them is about 30 lbs. If AN really did bulk up and manages to get as strong as him, I can see him being Al Jeff pt 2.
MellowRose
Banned User
And1: 1,551

Post#311 » by MellowRose » Sun Jul 7, 2013 12:37 am

Neon1 wrote:
BaunceyChillups wrote:I don't think Andrew's that much like West aside from the fact they're both good pick-and-pop guys. David West's handle was excellent for a 4, he could pull up off the dribble in his earlier days.

I don't even know why people argue this comparison. It is like watching a carbon copy of Big Al.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWm3foYmIGA[/youtube]

Nicholson is much much softer than Big Al. Their footwork may be identical but I can never imagine AN being able to dunk in traffic the way Al does.
Neon1
RealGM
And1: 1,576

Post#312 » by Neon1 » Sun Jul 7, 2013 1:26 am

You know....Is it possible that Andrew moved so slow because he just didn't know where he was supposed to be and where to go on the court? Like is it possible he had a hard time learning plays? It seems I remember JJ kinda making small references alluding to him not understanding what he was supposed to do defensively.

I know it goes against everything that we believe him to be as far as smarts go, but book smarts does not equal basketball smarts, it is not the same thing.

Look how quick he is in these highlights defensively, he seems much more reactive. I mean, that would explain why he seemingly (almost unfairly) would not be given a shot to play through mistakes like the others did.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAQ9ZqcYFKI[/youtube]
A smart coach once said, "Potential just means you're not good enough yet." Playing on potential is like living on air: It's essential, but if thats all you have, you're eventually going to starve.

Twitter: @CleonONE IG: @usaidwhatnah
Truth24
Starter
And1: 443

Post#313 » by Truth24 » Sun Jul 7, 2013 2:06 am

Neon1 wrote:You know....Is it possible that Andrew moved so slow because he just didn't know where he was supposed to be and where to go on the court? Like is it possible he had a hard time learning plays? It seems I remember JJ kinda making small references alluding to him not understanding what he was supposed to do defensively.

I know it goes against everything that we believe him to be as far as smarts go, but book smarts does not equal basketball smarts, it is not the same thing.

Look how quick he is in these highlights defensively, he seems much more reactive. I mean, that would explain why he seemingly (almost unfairly) would not be given a shot to play through mistakes like the others did.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAQ9ZqcYFKI[/youtube]

I believe it is was due to playing against players that were stronger and quicker than he was used to playing against in college. I think this off season is huge for AN because he can focusing on getting bigger and stronger which will in the end help his defensive woes IMO. I truly believe getting more mass and strength is the key for AN becoming a beast on the block.
FFBlitzace
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,770

Post#314 » by FFBlitzace » Sun Jul 7, 2013 3:11 am

He needs to bring back the facial hair. I didn't realize he ever had it before watching that video. Unless it's totally slipping my mind, I think he was perfectly clean shaven all last year with the Magic. It could be the source of his power.
11/18/2017 - I have officially disowned Nikola Vucevic and branded him a loser.

- Skal Labissiere was my guy in 2016 pre-trade. Whoops, but I still believe.
- Malik Monk was my guy in 2017. Whoops(?)
- Mo Bamba was my guy in 2018. TBD.
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,126

Post#315 » by rcklsscognition » Sun Jul 7, 2013 3:45 am

One thing I think that looks so similar, is the long arm and the ability to make the ball find the bottom of the net. Jefferson does it like that, so does he. Some of those moves Andrew pulled you lose the ball for a second, then it's up in the air and a bucket.

Return to Orlando Magic