ImageImageImageImage

Official Draft Thread: Prospects Watch

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,714

Official Draft Thread: Prospects Watch 

Post#1 » by MoMM » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:54 pm

New thread about it! Let's talk about some prospects that Orlando could draft next year.

Who will we draft? Noel? Shabazz? Wiggins?

What's our needs? PG?

Magic Draft Picks next summers:
- 1st round pick in 2013 (by Magic)
- 2nd round pick in 2013 (by Warriors)
- 1st round pick in 2014 (by Magic)
- 1st round pick in 2014 (by Knicks or Nuggets, lower one)

Other draft picks owned by Orlando:
http://www.prosportstransactions.com/ba ... /Magic.htm

Draft Scouts:
http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2013/
http://nbadraft.net/2013mock_draft
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,107

Re: Official Draft Thread: Prospects Watch 

Post#2 » by Def Swami » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:00 pm

First

The odds have always been against UCLA’s star recruit Shabazz Muhammad staying with the program for more than a year. He’s one of the best two-way players in the nation and he has a sizable role waiting for him that should allow him to showcase his abilities enough to remain a top-ranked prospect in the 2013 NBA Draft. However, at the 2012 adidas Nations championship game he was saying all the right things regarding his future.

“I’m not expecting to be one-and-done,” Muhammad said in an exclusive interview with HOOPSWORLD. “I want to get this college season started and try to make our way to Atlanta.

“It is hard (to block out all the draft talk), but you have to look at it as you put yourself in this position so I’m just going to keep continuing to work hard and see what the outcome is.”

Unfortunately for UCLA and Muhammad, his decision could be made for him by the NCAA. They are currently investigating whether or not Muhammed and his family accepted impermissible benefits that endangered his amateur status. He is not eligible to play in the team’s upcoming trip to China as the NCAA continues to research his case. The investigation dates all the way back to February; CBSSports.com’s Jeff Goodman and Gary Parrish had the details:

In relatively short order we should know whether or not Muhammad is one of those pieces. It never looked like he was going to be at UCLA long anyway, but if he’s ineligible than you can certainly pencil him in as one of the top picks in the 2013 draft. If Enes Kanter, who never played at Kentucky due to being permanently ineligible for playing professionally in Turkey beforehand, still went top three in the 2011 NBA Draft, it’s highly unlikely that Muhammad takes much of a hit either.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-shabaz ... ast-track/
BelgianMagic
Head Coach
And1: 130

Post#3 » by BelgianMagic » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:01 pm

From what I've seen, Shabazz would be my favorite
Ahmadab
Bench Warmer
And1: 14

Post#4 » by Ahmadab » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:06 pm

LEGGO
ORLANDO MAGIC
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 571

Post#5 » by MasterGMer » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:17 pm

Do we need a Point Guard in this class?

How about Ryan Harrow from Kentucky.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#6 » by Def Swami » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:19 pm

MasterGMer wrote:Do we need a Point Guard in this class?

I could have sworn that kid was 5'11". Could have been an old height check, but I remember reading that and saying pass.
MasterGMer
Veteran

Post#7 » by MasterGMer » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:23 pm

VGOSWAMI wrote:

I could have sworn that kid was 5'11". Could have been an old height check, but I remember reading that and saying pass.

What other Point Guards are there in 2013? Any more intriguing ones?
MAGICian619
Bench Warmer
And1: 881

Post#8 » by MAGICian619 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:23 pm

I'm pretty sure Wiggins will be in the '14 draft.
TDJacksonville
Assistant Coach
And1: 242

Post#9 » by TDJacksonville » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:37 pm

MasterGMer wrote:
VGOSWAMI wrote:

Kabongo, Miller, Burke, Canaan, Brown, McCollum, Purvis.
Trailblazers
PG:
SG:
F:
F:
C:
Wzajan89 @ gmail . com
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#10 » by Def Swami » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:43 pm

MasterGMer wrote:
VGOSWAMI wrote:

Only other one I have a good opinion on is Kabongo. I think it's a weak point guard class. But, we could find out differently when the season starts. I'd look to 2014 for point guards.
MasterGMer
Veteran

Post#11 » by MasterGMer » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:43 pm

TDJacksonville wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:

Kabongo, Miller, Burke, Canaan, Brown, McCollum, Purvis.

Thank you. What is the needest position in 2013 draft? Do we draft a Point Guard?

My personal opinion: absolutely. I will keep an eye on McCollum and Harrow.
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,714

Post#12 » by MoMM » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:46 pm

PG is our needest position, but if the class is weak we should draft the Best Player Available. We are looking long-term, no need to rush next offseason.

Even if we really need a PG, we could draft BPA and then trade for a young PG (not a rookie).
TDJacksonville
Assistant Coach

Post#13 » by TDJacksonville » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:52 pm

MoMM wrote:PG is our needest position, but if the class is weak we should draft the Best Player Available. We are looking long-term, no need to rush next offseason.

Even if we really need a PG, we could draft BPA and then trade for a young PG (not a rookie).

always draft BPA and if its tied between a Big need and a lil need take the Player who fills the Big need.

Use FA for Needs. :D
Trailblazers
PG:
SG:
F:
F:
C:
Wzajan89 @ gmail . com
MasterGMer
Veteran

Post#14 » by MasterGMer » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:52 pm

MoMM wrote:PG is our needest position, but if the class is weak we should draft the Best Player Available. We are looking long-term, no need to rush next offseason.

But either way we still come up to which Point Guard or young Point Guard?

Or what type of Point Guard? Scoring Point? Pass first?

If I were Rob, I take good one excel at pick n' roll situation, good balance between score and making plays, good size and fatastic leading the floor, a true combo guard. More like Chris Paul type.
TDJacksonville
Assistant Coach

Post#15 » by TDJacksonville » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:56 pm

VGOSWAMI wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:
VGOSWAMI wrote:I could have sworn that kid was 5'11". Could have been an old height check, but I remember reading that and saying pass.

Only other one I have a good opinion on is Kabongo. I think it's a weak point guard class. But, we could find out differently when the season starts. I'd look to 2014 for point guards.

id look at wiggins 1st :wink:
MasterGMer
Veteran

Post#16 » by MasterGMer » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:01 pm

TDJacksonville wrote:

Noel and Wiggins are probably going to end up being the top 3 pick. Are we really going to tank that far? I highly doubt it. More realistic prospects?
TDJacksonville
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by TDJacksonville » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:12 pm

MasterGMer wrote:
TDJacksonville wrote:

Noel and Wiggins are probably going to end up being the top 3 pick. Are we really going to tank that far? I highly doubt it. More realistic prospects?

wiggins is a 2014 draft prospect :wink:

plenty realistic for next year with quite a few of the vets off our team :wink:
Trailblazers
PG:
SG:
F:
F:
C:
Wzajan89 @ gmail . com
Truth24
Starter
And1: 443

Post#18 » by Truth24 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:45 pm

Here is my favorite prospect thus far for the 2013 draft, he is the incoming freshmen for UNLV.

Anthony Bennett
UNLV
6'7"
242 lbs.
7'1" wingspan

This is a really good class of incoming freshmen with a lot of talent but the one guy that is the most impressive to me is Anthony Bennett. This guy is just a beast when he dunks, and I really haven't seen someone dunk with such anger every time that Bennett does. Right now he is a combo player because of his size but in the NBA he will need to play the three and his handles are alright but need to get better. The same goes for his jumper it is alright right now but he needs to improve it over the year.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_cQjsBzQ-M[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOjQtE97oT0[/youtube]
Noonskadoodle
Lead Assistant
And1: 197

Post#19 » by Noonskadoodle » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:59 pm

This will probably be my favorite thread throughout the season.

Trey Burke PG Michigan:

Burke has been busy this summer, participating in the LeBron James Skills Academy and drawing rave reviews as perhaps the best point guard there. And what may have helped him even more was that he was measured with a 6'5'' wingspan - which is solid for a point guard.

Burke's game is very mature for his age. As I touched on already, he has a very high IQ and learns quickly. He reads defenses well and has been very competitive dating back to the days where a pre-teen Jared Sullinger and him battled all day long in various competitions. The coaching by the elder Sullinger also helps explain why Burke already plays like a battle-tested senior.

All the intangibles with Burke are there. He plays tough and with a great motor. He enjoys trying to get rebounds and managed to get over 4 rebounds per 40 minutes when adjusted for Michigan's slowed down tempo.

Michigan's tempo is something you need to keep in the back of your mind when looking at Burke and the rest of the Wolverines. They don't get as many possessions per game which brings their numbers down to earth. But if you look at Burke's 40 minute pace adjusted stats, he averaged 17.7 points and 5.5 assists.

Scottie Reynolds Terrell Stoglin Kyrie Irving Derrick Rose Dominic James John Wall Nick Calathes

Those 7 names are the only guys who scored and assisted more than Burke during their freshman year at a Big 6 school (since 2001). Burke did this playing next to Tim Hardaway who can be hard to play next to as a point guard.

Awesome video. The game against OSU is so impressive to me because he going against arguably the best on ball defender in all of college in Aaron Craft.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps6dznELW50&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/youtube]
RYgoBOOM
Bench Warmer
And1: 292

Post#20 » by RYgoBOOM » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:21 pm

I still like Kabongo over any other PG right now. That and he is getting comparisons to CP3 gets me excited.

I'd like Orlando to go more of the Pass first prototypical PG

IMO John Wall type PGs don't pan out on winning teams except for westbrooks case
www.TheAutoSkin.com

Orlando's Elite Peelable Paint 1 stop shop!

Return to Orlando Magic