ImageImageImageImage

Official Draft Thread: Prospects Watch

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

j_n
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,684

Re: Official Draft Thread: Prospects Watch 

Post#1161 » by j_n » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:52 pm

Just watched the draftexpress video of Victor Oladipo, I would love it we could get another pick and get him in addition to Smart/Bennet, reminds me of a more explosive Loul Deng, looks like he going to be at the very least a great role player.
Tarot Magician
Sophomore
And1: 14

Post#1162 » by Tarot Magician » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:20 pm

j_n wrote:Just watched the draftexpress video of Victor Oladipo, I would love it we could get another pick and get him in addition to Smart/Bennet, reminds me of a more explosive Loul Deng, looks like he going to be at the very least a great role player.

Smart/Oladipo backcourt could be smothering defensively. Pick up a high scoring SF in 2014 and that would be fun to watch.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,882

Post#1163 » by drsd » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:32 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:I dont understand why they're being discussed in the same context as if he's going to go top 5. McElmore, Smart, Bennett, Noel, and Zeller....No particular order. Maybe Burke moves up to 10 max.
I think Smart is BPA if he's on the board and Orlando's up.

Point 1: McElmore at #2 and Burke at #18 would be a great draft for Orlando.
Point 2: I think that Burke will have more starting games over his career than Smart.

These are not connected thoughts.

eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,116

Post#1164 » by eyriq » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:14 am

Tbh, an additional first rounder at the expense at trading some of our veterans, i.e. Redick, does not appeal to me. Go Smart #1 for all I care and call the draft doneski. I wouldn't even trade Afflalo for a mid to late first. Any trades IMO should aim towards positioning our cap space to fit two top flight FA's next summer. Two top flight FA's (or just a rebuilt veteran supporting cast, period, since as Bensational has pointed out the FA'market is weakish) Smart, next years lottery pick ( hoping for our franchise guy here), the Dwight trade rookie contracts and the '12 draft rookie contracts means we are set to cast our dice for the next half-decade.
OrlandoMagician
Junior
And1: 7

Post#1165 » by OrlandoMagician » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:25 am

http://m.newsok.com/move-across-dfw-mad ... le/3755931

Great article on Smart.

Well worth a read.
Rob Hennigan is smarter than you.
j_n
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,684

Post#1166 » by j_n » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:33 am

eyriq wrote:Tbh, an additional first rounder at the expense at trading some of our veterans, i.e. Redick, does not appeal to me. Go Smart #1 for all I care and call the draft doneski. I wouldn't even trade Afflalo for a mid to late first. Any trades IMO should aim towards positioning our cap space to fit two top flight FA's next summer. Two top flight FA's (or just a rebuilt veteran supporting cast, period, since as Bensational has pointed out the FA'market is weakish) Smart, next years lottery pick ( hoping for our franchise guy here), the Dwight trade rookie contracts and the '12 draft rookie contracts means we are set to cast our dice for the next half-decade.

I agree about Afflalo, redick, but I wouldnt mind moving Nicholson for a pick that would get us Oladipo.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,153

Post#1167 » by OrlChamps2030 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:38 am

eyriq wrote:Any trades IMO should aim towards positioning our cap space to fit two top flight FA's next summer. Two top flight FA's (or just a rebuilt veteran supporting cast, period, since as Bensational has pointed out the FA'market is weakish) Smart, next years lottery pick ( hoping for our franchise guy here), the Dwight trade rookie contracts and the '12 draft rookie contracts means we are set to cast our dice for the next half-decade.

I think this is the plan as well. Smart filling a need and still being a top prospect (or looking to be) is crucial for future cap concerns.

I can see the Magic drafting Smart if his stock continues to rise. In a year like this with the draft not having a clear cut superstar I see teams in the top drafting for need. Based on need the draft could look something like:

1. Bobcats - McLemore
2. Suns - Noel
3. Magic - Smart
4. Cavaliers - Shabazz
5. Kings/Hornets - Porter. If Wizards - Bennett

It's tough to leave out guys like Zeller and Len but at a quick glance none of the teams at the bottom really need bigs unless they have upside that is hard to pass on like Noel.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,882

Post#1168 » by drsd » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:09 am

Zmill wrote:Based on need the draft could look something like:

1. Bobcats - McLemore
2. Suns - Noel
3. Magic - Smart
4. Cavaliers - Shabazz
5. Kings/Hornets - Porter. If Wizards - Bennett

It's tough to leave out guys like Zeller and Len but at a quick glance none of the teams at the bottom really need bigs unless they have upside that is hard to pass on like Noel.

I agree this cold be a path if Orlando drafts in the 3-6 range. But if they get a top-2 pick, it is hard to imagine GM Hennigan passing on better prospects. I have always believed that in a draft, BPA should always be tabbed, and drafting on need is a disastrous idea.

If McRobert or Harrington is part of a trade that nets a 15-20 pick, I think a draft of McLemore at #1 and Burke at so #18 would be a very, very good draft.

cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,177

Post#1169 » by cedric76 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:50 am

Smart is the only player fitting our needs, we need a pg badly
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#1170 » by MagicFan32 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:02 am

We need alot of things, interior defense, 1 on 1 scoring, PG of the future.

We need another 1st, there are to many holes on the roster, Smart and either a 2, or a big with high defensive upside is what i want
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
cedric76
RealGM

Post#1171 » by cedric76 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:59 am

MagicFan32 wrote:We need alot of things, interior defense, 1 on 1 scoring, PG of the future.

We need another 1st, there are to many holes on the roster, Smart and either a 2, or a big with high defensive upside is what i want

An other 2013 1st won't help you find any of the things you mentioned above

AA is better than any Sg in this draft
Smart is best pg in this draft
Interior defense?? Don't see anyone (not injured) fitting the bill

unleash Jett next seaon
Noonskadoodle
Lead Assistant
And1: 197

Post#1172 » by Noonskadoodle » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:44 pm

cedric76 wrote:
MagicFan32 wrote:We need alot of things, interior defense, 1 on 1 scoring, PG of the future.

I would take Oladipo/KCP over AA at this point for the rebuilding process.

& Rudy Gobert is def a defensive big who could go lottery/mid-first.
cedric76
RealGM

Post#1173 » by cedric76 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:27 pm

Noonskadoodle wrote:
cedric76 wrote:

I would take Oladipo/KCP over AA at this point for the rebuilding process.

& Rudy Gobert is def a defensive big who could go lottery/mid-first.

Rudy is from my hometown, he is a prospect, i wouldnt call him a defensive big, not sure what draft report u read
KOQ would eat him alive

unleash Jett next seaon
Noonskadoodle
Lead Assistant

Post#1174 » by Noonskadoodle » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:33 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWRZAQ8PlyI[/youtube]

Underrated transition game & his body control is on point.
Noonskadoodle
Lead Assistant

Post#1175 » by Noonskadoodle » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:38 pm

cedric76 wrote:
Rudy is from my hometown, he is a prospect, i wouldnt call him a defensive big, not sure what draft report u read

Really? The guy has a 7'9" wingspan. All he has to do is stand near the rim with his hands up & he will be considered a defensive big.

When he gets drafted & a NBA team puts him on a workout plan & gets him bigger he will def be a problem on the defensive end.

He has quick feet, quick hands, length, & good timing.

That will translate well.

Rudy Gobert explains in this article that his goal is to become “the perfect player on defense” and admits as well that he is aware of his potential but also the expectations and hopes in him. According to his coach, Gobert is a workhorse in practice and works a lot individually in additional practice sessions. Until now, he only shows his potential in short sequences and he needs to become more concentrated on the little things on the technical and tactical side. Mentally, he has to become more stable, says his coach. He has some moments of absence on the court, he has to eliminate all this in order to become the player everybody expects him to be. Gobert is aware of these problems, he started to work with a mental coach and he can see some progress.

The next step for Gobert is the NBA. He has already declared on multiple occasions that he wants to go the NBA next season, without having played in the Euroleague. Before that, he wants to win the French MVP title this season. But when he works out, in Cholet, he does not think on his next opponents in the ProA. He imagines playing against Dwight Howard or Marc Gasol. Physically, he wants to become similar to JaVale McGee and technically like Pau Gasol. If Rudy Gobert can fulfill his dreams, all the doors are open for him. The whole French basketball world hopes that the best is yet to come for Gobert and that he will not only realize his dreams but also those that his father could never achieve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... LhDzk0PaPQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs2K5vE_tCU
OrlandoMagician
Junior
And1: 7

Post#1176 » by OrlandoMagician » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:58 pm

If we can acquire the Bucks pick in a trade for Redick (pick should be 14-18th) I'd like us to draft one of these combinations:

Smart (ORL pick) + Oladipo (Bucks pick)

or

McLemore/Shabazz (ORL pick) + Burke (Bucks pick)
Rob Hennigan is smarter than you.
Noonskadoodle
Lead Assistant

Post#1177 » by Noonskadoodle » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:02 pm

OrlandoMagician wrote:If we can acquire the Bucks pick in a trade for Redick (pick should be 14-18th) I'd like us to draft one of these combinations:

Smart (ORL pick) + Oladipo (Bucks pick)

or

McLemore/Shabazz (ORL pick) + Burke (Bucks pick)

I agree.

Although Smart/Oladipo might be a little too much defense (as crazy as that sounds haha)

I would prefer Smart/KCP

KCP is stuck in hell in Georgia lol but that dude can flat out ball. Arguably a prettier shot than Mclemore & can get his own shot as well.

Smart
Oladipo
Harkless

is crazy defensively, but no scoring really.
cedric76
RealGM

Post#1178 » by cedric76 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:00 pm

Noonskadoodle wrote:
cedric76 wrote:

Really? The guy has a 7'9" wingspan. All he has to do is stand near the rim with his hands up & he will be considered a defensive big.

When he gets drafted & a NBA team puts him on a workout plan & gets him bigger he will def be a problem on the defensive end.

He has quick feet, quick hands, length, & good timing.

That will translate well.

Rudy Gobert explains in this article that his goal is to become “the perfect player on defense” and admits as well that he is aware of his potential but also the expectations and hopes in him. According to his coach, Gobert is a workhorse in practice and works a lot individually in additional practice sessions. Until now, he only shows his potential in short sequences and he needs to become more concentrated on the little things on the technical and tactical side. Mentally, he has to become more stable, says his coach. He has some moments of absence on the court, he has to eliminate all this in order to become the player everybody expects him to be. Gobert is aware of these problems, he started to work with a mental coach and he can see some progress.

The next step for Gobert is the NBA. He has already declared on multiple occasions that he wants to go the NBA next season, without having played in the Euroleague. Before that, he wants to win the French MVP title this season. But when he works out, in Cholet, he does not think on his next opponents in the ProA. He imagines playing against Dwight Howard or Marc Gasol. Physically, he wants to become similar to JaVale McGee and technically like Pau Gasol. If Rudy Gobert can fulfill his dreams, all the doors are open for him. The whole French basketball world hopes that the best is yet to come for Gobert and that he will not only realize his dreams but also those that his father could never achieve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... LhDzk0PaPQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs2K5vE_tCU

you must be right , u must have seen him play more than me
I forgot that ALL TALL people r great in defense
thx

unleash Jett next seaon
Noonskadoodle
Lead Assistant

Post#1179 » by Noonskadoodle » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:17 pm

Not doubting you...

Just saying all the reports from scouts on him say that he has the potential to be a defensive monster.

Why else would he be a lottery pick with almost no offensive game?
cedric76
RealGM

Post#1180 » by cedric76 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:35 pm

Noonskadoodle wrote:Not doubting you...

Just saying all the reports from scouts on him say that he has the potential to be a defensive monster.

Why else would he be a lottery pick with almost no offensive game?

http://www.complex.com/sports/2012/06/t ... gn-busts-2

unleash Jett next seaon

Return to Orlando Magic