ImageImageImageImage

Trade Big Baby Thread

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Re: Trade Big Baby Thread 

Post#41 » by magicman123 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:33 pm

Glen davis

15.8 PPG, 18.2 FGA, 38% Shooting

Unfortunately that's the real Davis, mixed in with a few great games
MitchellUK
RealGM
And1: 2,882

Post#42 » by MitchellUK » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:37 pm

claudio-br wrote:Davis starts passing more instead of shooting.
''Whatta heck, Davis! You gotta shoot the rock more, I dont wanna see McRoberts shooting so much....''

I can't think of many people who would say that. It's not as if this is some sort of inexplicable slump he's in - Davis is a career 44% shooter on less than 7 FGA per game, from power forward. That's poor, and there should be no surprise that his efficiency has gone further in the toilet when he's taking 18FGA per game, especially when so many of those shots are forced and out of his comfort range.

Bottom line, we don't have a go-to scorer on this team, and Davis shouldn't be taking it upon himself to be that guy, nor should the coaching staff be allowing it. We've looked at our best - as most teams do - when we've utilised screens and crisp ball movement to create high-percentage looks. Glen Davis going one-on-one is just about the lowest percentage possession we can get, and it's happening altogether too often.
claudio-br
Sixth Man
And1: 750

Post#43 » by claudio-br » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:18 pm

^this was more of a critic to the reaction of this board to every slight change in the game than a prediction of what is going to happen, if you will. Î think BBD is a hustle player that shouldnt play far from the post. At least for this season, he belongs to this squad, I dont see a big problem with him. It is just the start of the season, maybe he will get less selfish with time.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,904

Post#44 » by drsd » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:55 pm

I wonder how many fans that have posted thoughts on Magic's need to tank are now calling for Davis to play better or be traded. I would think some would be pleased that the Magic have lost three straight.

For me, the lack of offensive flow, this all shows how important Hedo was to the offense.
Hotshot Hower
Veteran
And1: 98

Post#45 » by Hotshot Hower » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:21 pm

I hate how this team runs the offense through BIg Baby. It's literal horrible and I can't wait until he's traded.

His shot attempts are horrible and try unorthodox, talk about a low percentage shot.

Outside of Redick, Nelson, and Affalo.. Nicholson, Harkless, and Vucevis should be the ONLY one's getting 25mins+ a night.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,006

Post#46 » by KillMonger » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:25 pm

Big Baby's hustle should be commended as i think no on hustles as hard as him. I think a little bit of this is on coaching quite simply we have to get him better shots and stop giving him the ball in iso situations. To me Baby is at his best in the pick and roll around the mid-post area and i think that's the perfect range for him to get to the rim or attempt a shot. 15-18 Feet is his sweet spot but anything farther than that is not great and he shouldn't be taking those shots. Baby is having a bad stretch but he can be better he just have to adjust a little bit more and get out of the mentality that says he has to try to be the man because that's a heavy burden
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#47 » by OrlandO » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:18 pm

Bobby Ray wrote:Big Baby's hustle should be commended as i think no on hustles as hard as him. I think a little bit of this is on coaching quite simply we have to get him better shots and stop giving him the ball in iso situations. To me Baby is at his best in the pick and roll around the mid-post area and i think that's the perfect range for him to get to the rim or attempt a shot. 15-18 Feet is his sweet spot but anything farther than that is not great and he shouldn't be taking those shots. Baby is having a bad stretch but he can be better he just have to adjust a little bit more and get out of the mentality that says he has to try to be the man because that's a heavy burden

Exactly. If they're going to rely on him to be a significant contributor on offense, they need to run some basic plays for him from time to time. He's short, fat and can't jump - they need to put him in better spots to offset all that. The last few games they've just dumped it off to him every time and he has no choice but to create space and shoot or barrel into 2 sometimes 3 defenders in the paint if he wants to score. He's going to do that a few times a game regardless, but at least set him up a few times as well to keep the defense honest. I love Moore, but he doesn't make his teammates better. He just scores. Ish Smith is simply out of control. Nelson/Turk are out. That leaves only Redick who hasn't been very good the last couple games. I'm actually looking forward to Nelson's return to help settle things on offense. We don't have any great playmakers, so there's strength in numbers.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,599

Post#48 » by BadMofoPimp » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:27 pm

BBD Gonna Prove Ya'll Wrong!!!

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,229

Post#49 » by eyriq » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:29 am

Leader of the Tank Squad? No, he is the guarantor of the Tank.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,815

Post#50 » by RookieStar » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:00 am

When all seems lost, and the members of this board are confused on what to do... BBD takes command and lead the tank charge.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,399

Post#51 » by Bensational » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:35 am

eyriq wrote:Image

Winshare is BS. There is no deniable way that you can say Baby wasn't a huge factor in our 2 wins this season - so I don't see how that stat holds true.

There's more of a correlation with Baby's and JJ's performances and the performance of this team than any other players at this point, and this small sample size. Baby has a big game, we either win or we are very competitive. Baby holds back/has a bad game, we are get out asses handed to us.

Right now, it seems like teaching a culture of selflessness is what will guarantee the tanking, because nobody really gets a chance to take over and carry us to wins.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,229

Post#52 » by eyriq » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:23 am

Bensational wrote:
Winshare is BS. There is no deniable way that you can say Baby wasn't a huge factor in our 2 wins this season - so I don't see how that stat holds true.

There's more of a correlation with Baby's and JJ's performances and the performance of this team than any other players at this point, and this small sample size. Baby has a big game, we either win or we are very competitive. Baby holds back/has a bad game, we are get out asses handed to us.

Right now, it seems like teaching a culture of selflessness is what will guarantee the tanking, because nobody really gets a chance to take over and carry us to wins.

Which would all be fine and good if he didn't have a resume of suck trailing him. He is co-captain less on merit than on ego. By every metric you look at in evaluating his career he is at best a rotation talent and we have him in a featured role...

We have three key guys, Redick, Afflalo, and Moore, that have True Shooting % > 54.8%. Davis is at 40.5% while taking 4.4 FGA more than the next guy, Afflalo. Davis has a freaking USG% of 31.6% for crying out loud!

Something has to give.
OrlandO
RealGM

Post#53 » by OrlandO » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:31 am

What's his hustle stat rated? You probably can't find it because it's off the charts. hiyoooo
OrlandO
RealGM

Post#54 » by OrlandO » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:13 am

Team average of 24 assists through first three games (all competitive, despite Davis' FGA). Last two games (blowouts, despite Davis' reduced FGA) they averaged 18 assists - and that's with Davis having a hand in 1/4 of those btw. And we are not going to win games when our assists to turnover ratio is 1:1 (last two games). The games where we had a chance we were 2:1. If people want to point fingers, they should do it at the guys designated to control the offense because they're failing miserably as of late. Davis is just everybody's fall guy when we have bigger issues.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,399

Post#55 » by Bensational » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:49 am

eyriq wrote:
Bensational wrote:

Which would all be fine and good if he didn't have a resume of suck trailing him. He is co-captain less on merit than on ego. By every metric you look at in evaluating his career he is at best a rotation talent and we have him in a featured role...

We have three key guys, Redick, Afflalo, and Moore, that have True Shooting % > 54.8%. Davis is at 40.5% while taking 4.4 FGA more than the next guy, Afflalo. Davis has a freaking USG% of 31.6% for crying out loud!

Something has to give.

meh, no argument from me. this team doesn't have an identifiable player that we can realistically build around on this current roster - at this point in time. so i don't really care.
richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Post#56 » by richboy » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:13 am

Big Baby is who we thought he was. The true measure of a man is his consistency. What he averages is really who he is. Big Baby has had these moments in his career where people suddenly think he could be a player. The stars aligned last year and suddenly he was Charles Barkley for a short stretch. These are the times that teams should trade Big Baby while his value is at its highest. Instead we bank on him coming back strong again and he averaging 18 shots a game to score 15 points. All while having superstar level usage.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." John Wooden
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,935

Post#57 » by Last Guardian » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:20 pm

eyriq wrote:Image

He is bad. Really bad. Not sure why anyone is defending him. DQ had hustle too, didn't change the fact that he sucked balls.
I Rasharted
Sixth Man
And1: 838

Post#58 » by I Rasharted » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:58 pm

This is why somebody who knows what they're doing needs to photoshop Davis into this pic:

basketballRob wrote:Another good benefit about eating plants is that the artery going to your penis gets unclogged and starts flowing real good.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,904

Post#59 » by drsd » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:06 pm

I remind everyone that Davis is a co-captain and is expected to carry the team.
J the Drafter
Starter
And1: 298

Post#60 » by J the Drafter » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:12 pm

richboy wrote:Big Baby is who we thought he was. The true measure of a man is his consistency. What he averages is really who he is. Big Baby has had these moments in his career where people suddenly think he could be a player. The stars aligned last year and suddenly he was Charles Barkley for a short stretch. These are the times that teams should trade Big Baby while his value is at its highest. Instead we bank on him coming back strong again and he averaging 18 shots a game to score 15 points. All while having superstar level usage.

You need to take into account who Davis is being guarded by. Faried was doing it for at least part of the Nuggets game (though I don't know who was guarding Glen vs the Suns). The Bulls, in addition to defending Glen with Noah, also sent periodic double-teams. I didn't see the last two games, but the Timberwolves and Nets have lengthy frontcourts. I just want to try to figure out *why* things happen.
Remember when Kobe elbowed Jameer in the chin so hard Jameer was knocked down and sent skidding across the floor?
Pepperidge Farm remembers.*

*Futurama

Return to Orlando Magic