ImageImageImageImage

Trade Big Baby Thread

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,862

Re: Trade Big Baby Thread 

Post#81 » by Last Guardian » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:42 pm

Nicholson is inconsistent? And what is Baby? Consistent....ly bad and inefficient? Not sure I get that line of thinking. I guarantee Drew would do a lot better with Babys shot attempts than Baby does. He has a better shooting stroke, a big wingspan and better post moves.

If you want to harp on defense....well, we aren't winning anyway!
ADRajX
RealGM
And1: 97

Post#82 » by ADRajX » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:06 pm

Bensational wrote:someone has to take the shots. we've got a team full of role players and rookies, so ultimately, someone will have to step up. whilst i'd prefer JJ to be taking them, it doesn't seem to be in his nature. he's the consumate team player, looking for other people as much as his own shot. Afflalo seems reluctant to want to take over a game. Meer isn't healthy, nor is Hedo (although, he's just as bad as Baby). Vucevic could, but his numbers don't indicate a desire to take a game over, just a desire to play his role. Moore can score in bunches, but will his volume attempts really be that much better than Baby? Harkless and Nicholson are way too inconsistent.

Baby isn't ideal, but if we had a better option that was prepared to take on a more dominant role, they've got no excuse for failing to step up so far. we're undermanned, and we're projected as a scrub team.

with a squad like this, i'm happy for any player to take their chance to become a star. that's what it's all about.

I agree with this word for word, especially the part about Afflalo being passive or reluctant on offense. In my opinion he should be the one taking the most shots and being aggressive.

Btw, does anyone else feel like Glen Davis should be going to the free throw line more? I know we all get frustrated at his attempts to drive to the basket and force a shot, but he takes a beating/hack each time he drives, and he hardly gets any whistles. I feel like if Glen got more respect from the officials, and he drew fouls on more of his driving attempts, then maybe we'd all feel better about his shot attempts/shot selections. Just my two cents... it's something to take a look at in the next game.
“Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don't resist them; that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.” - Laozi
trebone
Lead Assistant
And1: 329

Post#83 » by trebone » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:17 pm

Ive never been a fan of him since his LSU days so I can complain about him without the bandwagon complaints!!!

What I would rather see is that is we continue to lose games you might as well throw Nicholson in there for big minutes to see if he will sink or swim.
doct3r dr3
RealGM
And1: 2,494

Post#84 » by doct3r dr3 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:44 pm

drsd wrote:I wonder how many fans that have posted thoughts on Magic's need to tank are now calling for Davis to play better or be traded. I would think some would be pleased that the Magic have lost three straight.

For me, the lack of offensive flow, this all shows how important Hedo was to the offense.

it is perfectly consistent for a fan to want the magic to tank, davis to play better, and davis to get traded. more minutes for the rookies, better value (higher pick) for davis.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Reached for a 2nd round talent in Nicholson.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,588

Post#85 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:03 pm

I am all for Davis averaging 20 shot attempts per game throughout the season. With that much in game practice, he should be much improved for next year. Eventually, he will start making better shot choices. I think people are just impatient. BBD does do well in all the other little things as he does pass the ball well for a big man, can board, plays good defense and hustles extremely hard after the ball. I find it amazing that people would rather have a one trick pony in there like Nicholson than someone that can contribute in so many other ways.

The Orlando Magic Organization and their coaches will always play the players they think can put them in a position to win a game. A team doesn't play the game to tank.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Orium
Assistant Coach
And1: 349

Post#86 » by Orium » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:34 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:I am all for Davis averaging 20 shot attempts per game throughout the season. With that much in game practice, he should be much improved for next year. Eventually, he will start making better shot choices. I think people are just impatient. BBD does do well in all the other little things as he does pass the ball well for a big man, can board, plays good defense and hustles extremely hard after the ball. I find it amazing that people would rather have a one trick pony in there like Nicholson than someone that can contribute in so many other ways.

The Orlando Magic Organization and their coaches will always play the players they think can put them in a position to win a game. A team doesn't play the game to tank.

The second part contradicts the first part :D
The curse of Fran Vasquez lives on
doct3r dr3
RealGM

Post#87 » by doct3r dr3 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:47 pm

BMP,

what exactly is nicholson's "one trick"? his vast
array of low- and mid-post moves? his ability to finish with either hand? his face-up game and rangey jumpshot? his rebounding?
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#88 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:58 pm

You make it sound like he is just killing it out there. Tearing it up with all those moves and consistent offensive markmanship.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
doct3r dr3
RealGM

Post#89 » by doct3r dr3 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:08 pm

i mean, he's shooting 52.4 percent from the field and 88.9 percent freethrows. a casual per-40 shows 17.4 ppg, 8.0 rpg. i'd say that's "killing it out there", he's just committing too many senseless fouls.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#90 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:40 pm

doct3r dr3 wrote:i mean, he's shooting 52.4 percent from the field and 88.9 percent freethrows. a casual per-40 shows 17.4 ppg, 8.0 rpg. i'd say that's "killing it out there", he's just committing too many senseless fouls.

I am not hating on Nicholson as I really like his energy, but:

PER is the most overrated stat in the history of basketball. I, myself, can go out there against scrubs and have a good per 40. Nicholson isn't playing against starters most of the time, but against other backups in garbage minutes most of the time. And, if you notice when he does play against very good PF's in the rare chance he is in against them, he gets worked at both ends of the court.

Nicholson is a project and hopefully a project that can stick in this league as I truly do like underdogs and if anything, Nicholson is the underdog of the 1st round.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#91 » by OrlandO » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:48 pm

DJRajX wrote:Btw, does anyone else feel like Glen Davis should be going to the free throw line more? I know we all get frustrated at his attempts to drive to the basket and force a shot, but he takes a beating/hack each time he drives, and he hardly gets any whistles. I feel like if Glen got more respect from the officials, and he drew fouls on more of his driving attempts, then maybe we'd all feel better about his shot attempts/shot selections. Just my two cents... it's something to take a look at in the next game.

I think you're partly right... he's not getting respect at times for the way he attacks the rim. First three games he had 14 free throw attempts... last three games he's had 3. If you go back to late last year, he was probably averaging 5 FTA as a starter and on some nights he was on the line 10 or more times. Part of it is no respect, the other part is because we only have JJ out there trying to put Davis into better positions. Once we get Nelson back, he'll get more opportunities to get an initial advantage on defenders and they'll probably make more obvious fouls. In any case, I really can't wait to see Nelson back to see if it helps BBD settle down more.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#92 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:52 pm

OrlandO wrote: I really can't wait to see Nelson back to see if it helps BBD settle down more.

I think Meer means more to this team than people let on. There will be a difference on this team with Meer starting.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#93 » by magicman123 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:53 pm

Big Baby is clearly the problem, every time he misses a shot the stock market drops...he's also responsible for the Deficit in America
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,362

Post#94 » by Bensational » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:13 pm

Last Guardian wrote:Nicholson is inconsistent? And what is Baby? Consistent....ly bad and inefficient? Not sure I get that line of thinking. I guarantee Drew would do a lot better with Babys shot attempts than Baby does. He has a better shooting stroke, a big wingspan and better post moves.

If you want to harp on defense....well, we aren't winning anyway!

I like Nicholson and i'm all for him getting big minutes (or all the minutes) to learn on the job. Vaughn hasn't been giving him many minutes at all for whatever reason - and I don't think it's because of his offense or because he's young. Baby is setting the standard for the defensive end, and maybe once Nicholson shows that level of hustle/effort/performance then he'll see more minutes. I can only imagine that this is a lesson in patience, effort and doing what coach says for him.

Personally, I'd be happy to watch a Vucevic/Nicholson/Harkless/JJ/Moore lineup all season.
doct3r dr3
RealGM

Post#95 » by doct3r dr3 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:14 pm

^^ i'm doct3r dr3 and i approve this message.
ADRajX
RealGM
And1: 97

Post#96 » by ADRajX » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:14 pm

OrlandO wrote:
DJRajX wrote:Btw, does anyone else feel like Glen Davis should be going to the free throw line more? I know we all get frustrated at his attempts to drive to the basket and force a shot, but he takes a beating/hack each time he drives, and he hardly gets any whistles. I feel like if Glen got more respect from the officials, and he drew fouls on more of his driving attempts, then maybe we'd all feel better about his shot attempts/shot selections. Just my two cents... it's something to take a look at in the next game.

I think you're partly right... he's not getting respect at times for the way he attacks the rim. First three games he had 14 free throw attempts... last three games he's had 3. If you go back to late last year, he was probably averaging 5 FTA as a starter and on some nights he was on the line 10 or more times. Part of it is no respect, the other part is because we only have JJ out there trying to put Davis into better positions. Once we get Nelson back, he'll get more opportunities to get an initial advantage on defenders and they'll probably make more obvious fouls. In any case, I really can't wait to see Nelson back to see if it helps BBD settle down more.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the Nelson (and throw in Hedo as well) comment. They will greatly benefit Davis' game, and his ability to draw fouls & settle down more offense (not force it as much).
“Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don't resist them; that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.” - Laozi
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#97 » by OrlandO » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:15 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
OrlandO wrote: I really can't wait to see Nelson back to see if it helps BBD settle down more.

I think Meer means more to this team than people let on. There will be a difference on this team with Meer starting.

When we were contending, one could argue he was not the right PG for the job outside of his allstar year. However, now that our talent level has dropped, he means more to this team than ever before since we have so many new, inexperience players as well as guys having to play bigger roles than normal. I mean how could we not improve with him back in the lineup? Right now our starting PG has 10 assists and 14 turnovers in the last three games and out of control Ish Smith is coming off the bench to back him up. These guys are supposed to facilitate the offense? PG is a significant position to downgrade as it impacts the entire team, especially when we lack stars. People really shouldn't be surprised we've lost 4 in a row. Not saying we're going to win a ton of games, but we're better than what we're seeing right now when healthy.
cmor42180
Senior
And1: 7

Post#98 » by cmor42180 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:24 pm

you left out he smells like bacon
grayson11
Bench Warmer
And1: 58

Post#99 » by grayson11 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:25 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:You make it sound like he is just killing it out there. Tearing it up with all those moves and consistent offensive markmanship.

Not sure why Nicholson has to be "tearing it up" to warrant playing time on a rebuilding team. Besides, I'm sure if you gave most of our roster 20 shots a night they're bound to drop 7 buckets.

Don't get me wrong, BBD has a much better current ability than our young front-court. Only one concern with that though: we're not playing for the current title.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#100 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:32 pm

grayson11 wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:You make it sound like he is just killing it out there. Tearing it up with all those moves and consistent offensive markmanship.

Not sure why Nicholson has to be "tearing it up" to warrant playing time on a rebuilding team. Besides, I'm sure if you gave most of our roster 20 shots a night they're bound to drop 7 buckets.

Don't get me wrong, BBD has a much better current ability than our young front-court. Only one concern with that though: we're not playing for the current title.

True that. But, a coach also has to play for his job to and to keep fans in the seats so the owner doesn't lose mad money either. Hence, it would be suicide to throw rookies in there and lose by 20-30pts every single night and play to an empty arena.

BBD may not be great, but he is a solid NBA player who fans like to watch even when he makes poor decisions, it gives people something to talk about. BBD does put a few butts in seats. Hence, makes money for the owner.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!

Return to Orlando Magic