yardbarker

NCAA Wiretap Headlines

Magic(2-5) @ Pistons(1-8)

Moderators: damo[23], Devin 1L, Hilltop, Howard Mass, MagicMadness, eyriq

Post#406 Re: Magic(2-5) @ Pistons(1-8)
Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:30 am by Reverse_Angle

Bobby Ray wrote:I know it's early but take it with a grain of salt. What Vuc is doing isn't too bad
Image

now considering Marc is playing 6 more minutes the numbers are somewhat similar. Got to appreciate that at the very least Vuc is contributing. Has a long way to go to be any REAL comparison to Marc Gasol but through 8 or so games he's been comparable


The good Gasol is a special player primarily because of his basketball mind aside having the tools of being a decent NBA starting center, which does show up in stats--well, maybe apg. Closest comparison to marc gasol would be vlade divac. Vuc is more of mobile scorer type of game at the moment.
Image

O'Quinn will have a longer and more successful NBA career than Nicholson. Any takers?
Reverse_Angle
Analyst
User avatar
Posts: 3,725
And1: 208
Joined: Jul 8, 2010
Location: Keep those balls in the air!
Top

Post#407 Re: Magic(2-5) @ Pistons(1-8)
Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:37 am by RickB-Orlando

Bobby Ray wrote:I disagree with almost everything Thelead just said. I think he has a high ceiling and i think he deserves a chance to try to reach that potential. It's all on Vucevic to work hard to become a great player i swear man some people may be spoiled because of Dwight being our center for so long so everything else looks weak in comparison whether people are comparing without knowing. No Big in this upcoming draft class or the next one seems good enough to me to take Vuc's spot he's only in his second year and he's a project and only 22 years old let's have some patience. Let's judge him after another year of development

Is that you, Nik?

Just kidding, I tend to agree with this. Vucevic has shown a pretty impressive skillet so far, for a 22 year old. He's got plenty of ceiling. I've been saying since training camp started he's got the potential to be a top ten, possibly top five center in the league in a few years.
RickB-Orlando

Sixth Man
Posts: 1,978
And1: 123
Joined: Apr 30, 2008
Top

Post#408 Re: Magic(2-5) @ Pistons(1-8)
Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:46 am by arsenal6106

arsenal6106




Assistant Coach
User avatar
Posts: 4,334
And1: 98
Joined: Nov 6, 2010
Location: Somewhere Drinking Good Beer.
Top

Post#409 Re: Magic(2-5) @ Pistons(1-8)
Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:00 am by SmiteaDwight

Reverse_Angle wrote:
Bobby Ray wrote:I know it's early but take it with a grain of salt. What Vuc is doing isn't too bad
Image

now considering Marc is playing 6 more minutes the numbers are somewhat similar. Got to appreciate that at the very least Vuc is contributing. Has a long way to go to be any REAL comparison to Marc Gasol but through 8 or so games he's been comparable


The good Gasol is a special player primarily because of his basketball mind aside having the tools of being a decent NBA starting center, which does show up in stats--well, maybe apg. Closest comparison to marc gasol would be vlade divac. Vuc is more of mobile scorer type of game at the moment.


You guys are forgetting the obvious fact that Gasol plays next to Zach Randolph, whos averaging 14 rpg(!). Seriously, Marc Gasol is world's ahead of Vuc in every way, even if their numbers are similar.

TBH Vuc hasnt really impressed me at all. He could be an alright backup but I don't expect him to ever really be a competent starting center. Of course the Magic are pretty good at developing players like we have Gortat, Dwight and JJ so he could come around, but currently he's nothing to write home about.

If we draft Zeller or Nerlens I expect them to take the starting spot next year.
SmiteaDwight
Banned User
Posts: 2,425
And1: 14
Joined: May 31, 2010
Top

Post#410 Re: Magic(2-5) @ Pistons(1-8)
Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:05 am by SmiteaDwight

thelead wrote:
J the Drafter wrote:
thelead wrote: :nod: I'm still pissed we couldn't put one great scorer around that defensive monster.

Who'd you have in mind? Wade? Kobe? (I suppose we could have gotten Ellis or the like if we'd still had Gortat to trade, I'll grant you that.) We had multiple 20+ per game scorers around Howard, even if Lewis largely spotted up. It's not Jameer's fault he got injured in 2009, and Carter was very effective for most of his stay here, even if he wasn't driving for layups all game.


I said "great" not "good" (ie Lewis and Carter do not fall into the great scorer category). We had one under contract the year we drafted Dwight... just sayin'.


Dwight + 1 other guy in the top 25 on the team we had in 09 would beat the Lakers IMO.
SmiteaDwight
Banned User
Posts: 2,425
And1: 14
Joined: May 31, 2010
Top

Post#411 Re: Magic(2-5) @ Pistons(1-8)
Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:25 am by Big Boss

I guess everyone has their own opinion on Vuc. I'm of the opinion that he will be pretty good with development and to me no Big in this upcoming draft could take his spot in their first couple years in my opinion every Big in this draft class looks like a project to me. Vuc is putting up decent numbers as a 2nd year 22 year old right now in the NBA and me personally i thought he would be a stiff. I'm impressed with him personally but i can understand the people that aren't because maybe their looking for a different type of Center. I guess with me i just know i'm not looking at a finished product and feel that he can only get better with time. People are making him sound like shawn Bradley or something.
Image

~I'm the only one that get the job done~
Big Boss
Assistant Coach
User avatar
Posts: 4,233
And1: 1,095
Joined: Oct 13, 2012
Top

Post#412 Re: Magic(2-5) @ Pistons(1-8)
Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:47 am by OrlandO

Bobby Ray wrote:People are making him sound like shawn Bradley or something.

Hey, Bradley was block king one year at 4 per game!
"If and when I reach my full potential, I think I will be better than everybody in this draft," Gordon said.
OrlandO
General Manager
User avatar
Posts: 8,110
And1: 1,936
Joined: May 26, 2009
Top

Post#413 Re: Magic(2-5) @ Pistons(1-8)
Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:03 am by T-Rob

Was hoping to see O'quinn play when they put in Drummond, O'quinn got in his head in the summer leagues and it was alot of fun to watch. Wanted the O'quinn/Drummon rematch!
T-Rob
Sophomore
Posts: 128
And1: 9
Joined: Jul 3, 2012
Top

Post#414 Re: Magic(2-5) @ Pistons(1-8)
Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:08 am by SmiteaDwight

Bobby Ray wrote:I guess everyone has their own opinion on Vuc. I'm of the opinion that he will be pretty good with development and to me no Big in this upcoming draft could take his spot in their first couple years in my opinion every Big in this draft class looks like a project to me. Vuc is putting up decent numbers as a 2nd year 22 year old right now in the NBA and me personally i thought he would be a stiff. I'm impressed with him personally but i can understand the people that aren't because maybe their looking for a different type of Center. I guess with me i just know i'm not looking at a finished product and feel that he can only get better with time. People are making him sound like shawn Bradley or something.


Ahh Maybe you're right.

I dunno, just watching his slow rotations on d tonight just killed it for me.
SmiteaDwight
Banned User
Posts: 2,425
And1: 14
Joined: May 31, 2010
Top

Post#415 Re: Magic(2-5) @ Pistons(1-8)
Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:31 am by MagicStarwipe

Drummond is going to be a beast once he figures everything out.
Image
MagicStarwipe

Lead Assistant
User avatar
Posts: 5,216
And1: 1,174
Joined: May 19, 2007
Top

Post#416 Re: Magic(2-5) @ Pistons(1-8)
Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:36 am by OrlandO

I guess there's no vest thread?
"If and when I reach my full potential, I think I will be better than everybody in this draft," Gordon said.
OrlandO
General Manager
User avatar
Posts: 8,110
And1: 1,936
Joined: May 26, 2009
Top

Post#417 Re: Magic(2-5) @ Pistons(1-8)
Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:03 am by MagicFan32

When you look at Vucc in context you have to be pleased so far, he really didn't play alot last year, to come in and be an 11/9 guy in 30 MPG in your first month playing any meaningful basketball is pretty solid, now obviously he needs to get bigger, he gets pushed around to easy still, but in every game he's played over 28 minutes he has a double double except for one, also his assists are going up he has four games so far with atleast 10/10/3.....last 3 it's 12.5/12/3 i'll take that considering how raw he still is!
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
MagicFan32
RealGM
Posts: 14,117
And1: 318
Joined: Jun 13, 2004
Top

Post#418 Re: Magic(2-5) @ Pistons(1-8)
Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:11 am by MagicFan32

thelead wrote:
Malik Starks wrote:
SmiteaDwight wrote:We needed Meer's penetration and passing tonight. If we can stay Healthy we'll be better than people expected.


If the so called experts were objective they would already see this team is pretty good. We've played a pretty brutal schedule, look at our losses:

Two losses to a very good Brooklyn team, One loss to an undefeated Knicks team (including wins over Miami, and San Antonio), one loss to a Memphis team that is looking like the best team in Western Conference. The only loss you can point to has been Minnesota, and they aren't half bad either.


And our 3 wins come against the 4-5 Nuggets, 4-5 Suns, and 1-9 Pistons. What's your point?

why do you come here just to bash the team all the time?
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
MagicFan32
RealGM
Posts: 14,117
And1: 318
Joined: Jun 13, 2004
Top

Post#419 Re: Magic(2-5) @ Pistons(1-8)
Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:17 am by bossrossBBD

very encouraging signs this game

quitely Mcbob actually played good on D he spent some time guarding Prince and really did well.
Ayon played like he did in preseason (well) Moore seemed more comfortable running the point off the bench,
Nicholson is probably our most consistent player he always seems to produce that 6 or so points off the bench in a short amount of time.
bossrossBBD
Ballboy
Posts: 10
And1: 1
Joined: Jul 19, 2012
Top

Post#420 Re: Magic(2-5) @ Pistons(1-8)
Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:19 am by KingRobb02

PeePee la Fritz wrote:
J the Drafter wrote:
PeePee la Fritz wrote:You mean the idiot that demanded Orlando draft Okafor over Howard, and pouted and cited irreconcilable differences because Wisebroad didn't call him to wish him a happy birthday? I'm sorry, there is no way you convince me that Dwight with T-Mac wins a title. McGrady is way too mentally weak to ever win a championship as the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd option

McGrady's pouting doesn't make any less effective as a player.



3-1 up against the Pistons and you don't win the series. Championship caliber players DO NOT let that happen. That team would contend every year with T-Mac and Dwight, but it would never win. You need mental toughness to win a title, and those are 2 players that just don't have it

Those magic teams were awful. Even getting to .500 with that team was an accomplishment. In the 2.5 years Kobe didn't have gasol or shaq, he had a losing record even with Odom and Bynum. Is he not a championship player now? Basketball is a team game. Tyronn Lue and Pat garrity are not enough.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk 2
KingRobb02




Analyst
User avatar
Posts: 3,652
And1: 339
Joined: Aug 7, 2007
Top

Post#421 Re: Magic(2-5) @ Pistons(1-8)
Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:49 am by doct3r dr3

second game in a row that nicholson leads the team in +/-

fun fact: he is leading the team in both raw +/- and +/- per minute. by a lot.

Image
Image
BadMofoPimp wrote:Reached for a 2nd round talent in Nicholson.
doct3r dr3

RealGM
User avatar
Posts: 11,591
And1: 851
Joined: Oct 20, 2004
Location: Nicholsonshine State
Top

Post#422 Re: Magic(2-5) @ Pistons(1-8)
Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:57 am by Optimus_Steel

I have a hard time finding how you cannot be impressed with Vuc. Ok maybe If you are comparing him to Dwight in terms of athletecism and defensive presence then ok but thats totally unfair because he is a completely different player. He is an extremely young skilled center. I like the fact that he is a willing passer and makes some nice passes. He made a nice cutting pass for a layup. JJ after the game complimented Vuc on his nice pass for that go ahead 3. He also made a nice pass to Baby for the last bucket. He can score, inside or out, although he does need to get stronger and work on that turnaround hook shot. His jumper is looking better. He is a willing rebounder. He is 22 and he is going to get better.
aka: prorl
Image
Optimus_Steel


RealGM
User avatar
Posts: 22,869
And1: 1,412
Joined: Sep 16, 2003
Location: Orlando, FL- home of the Magic and OC Lions!
Top

Post#423 Re: Magic(2-5) @ Pistons(1-8)
Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:32 am by Last Guardian

We just look good when Nelson is running the show.

Vucci is good and going to be great as long as he adds strength. That is his big problem. Athleticism is overrated. I am not saying it doesn't help, but it is pretty much on the lower end of importance when it comes to defense. Footspeed, length, IQ, timing and effort are all ahead of how high you jump.
Last Guardian

RealGM
User avatar
Posts: 20,100
And1: 302
Joined: Feb 22, 2004
Location: New Jersey
Top

Post#424 Re: Magic(2-5) @ Pistons(1-8)
Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:41 am by Bo Outlaw

Vucevic Compared to other starting centers in the east

Chris Bosh(MIA) 19.2ppg 7.1rb 1.3as 32min
Brook Lopez(BKN) 18.4ppg 6rb 0.9as 30min
Greg Monroe(DET) 16.5ppg 9.5rb 3.4as 35min
Anderson Varejao(CLE) 15.9ppg 13.7rb 3.4as 35min
Joakim Noah(CHI) 16ppg 9.8rb 3.5as 40min
Kevin Garnett(BOS) 15.1ppg 8rb 1.8as 30min
Nikola Vucevic(ORL) 11.1ppg 9rb 1.8as 31min
Tyson Chandler(NYK) 9.9ppg 7.7rb 0.1as 28min
Roy Hibbert(IND) 8.8ppg 7.9rb 1.4as 29min
Emeka Okafor(WAS) 8.4ppg 6rb 0.7as 24min
Jonas Valanciunas(TOR) 8.4ppg 5.3rb 1.1as 20min
Brendan Haywood(CHA) 7.8ppg 8.2rb 0.5as 29min
Samuel Dalembert(MIL) 6.3ppg 4.6rb 0.6as 16min
Zaza Pachulia(ATL) 5.6ppg 7rb 1.8as 26min
Lavoy Allen(PHI) 6.1ppg 4rb 0.9as 22min
Bo Outlaw


Pro Prospect
Posts: 770
And1: 155
Joined: Jul 15, 2012
Top

Post#425 Re: Magic(2-5) @ Pistons(1-8)
Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:26 am by thelead

MagicFan32 wrote:
thelead wrote:
And our 3 wins come against the 4-5 Nuggets, 4-5 Suns, and 1-9 Pistons. What's your point?

why do you come here just to bash the team all the time?


First, I called a win before the game started. I then called a win when we were still down in the game. I point out positives when there are things to be positive about and you say I "bash" the team when I point out a FACT. Where did I bash our precious team in that post? The guy before me pointed out a FACT that we've only lost to good teams. That's fine, I pointed out a FACT that we've only beaten bad teams. I guess facts are hard for people to deal with.
Image

eyriq wrote:
I don't get the attachment to Harris. What about his game indicates he is anything more than just 'a guy'? The evidence for him being more than that just isn't there.
:nonono:
thelead

RealGM
User avatar
Posts: 13,257
And1: 2,407
Joined: Apr 8, 2008
Top

PreviousNext

Return to Orlando Magic


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: chosen12141, Def Swami, MagicStarwipe, mojosodope, Optimus_Steel, OrlandoNed, OrlMagic05