ImageImageImageImage

Magic(2-5) @ Pistons(1-8)

Moderators: MagicMadness, Devin 1L, damo[23], Howard Mass, Hilltop, eyriq

User avatar
doct3r dr3
RealGM
Posts: 11,737
And1: 1,200
Joined: Oct 21, 2004
Location: Nicholsonshine State
 

Re: Magic(2-5) @ Pistons(1-8) 

Post#421 » by doct3r dr3 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:49 pm

second game in a row that nicholson leads the team in +/-

fun fact: he is leading the team in both raw +/- and +/- per minute. by a lot.

Image
Image
BadMofoPimp wrote:Reached for a 2nd round talent in Nicholson.
User avatar
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
Posts: 24,048
And1: 2,103
Joined: Sep 16, 2003
Location: Orlando, FL- home of the Magic and OC Lions!
   

Re: Magic(2-5) @ Pistons(1-8) 

Post#422 » by Optimus_Steel » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:57 pm

I have a hard time finding how you cannot be impressed with Vuc. Ok maybe If you are comparing him to Dwight in terms of athletecism and defensive presence then ok but thats totally unfair because he is a completely different player. He is an extremely young skilled center. I like the fact that he is a willing passer and makes some nice passes. He made a nice cutting pass for a layup. JJ after the game complimented Vuc on his nice pass for that go ahead 3. He also made a nice pass to Baby for the last bucket. He can score, inside or out, although he does need to get stronger and work on that turnaround hook shot. His jumper is looking better. He is a willing rebounder. He is 22 and he is going to get better.
aka: prorl
Image
User avatar
Last Guardian
RealGM
Posts: 20,425
And1: 462
Joined: Feb 22, 2004
Location: New Jersey
 

Re: Magic(2-5) @ Pistons(1-8) 

Post#423 » by Last Guardian » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:32 pm

We just look good when Nelson is running the show.

Vucci is good and going to be great as long as he adds strength. That is his big problem. Athleticism is overrated. I am not saying it doesn't help, but it is pretty much on the lower end of importance when it comes to defense. Footspeed, length, IQ, timing and effort are all ahead of how high you jump.
Bo Outlaw
Pro Prospect
Posts: 796
And1: 225
Joined: Jul 16, 2012
   

Re: Magic(2-5) @ Pistons(1-8) 

Post#424 » by Bo Outlaw » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:41 pm

Vucevic Compared to other starting centers in the east

Chris Bosh(MIA) 19.2ppg 7.1rb 1.3as 32min
Brook Lopez(BKN) 18.4ppg 6rb 0.9as 30min
Greg Monroe(DET) 16.5ppg 9.5rb 3.4as 35min
Anderson Varejao(CLE) 15.9ppg 13.7rb 3.4as 35min
Joakim Noah(CHI) 16ppg 9.8rb 3.5as 40min
Kevin Garnett(BOS) 15.1ppg 8rb 1.8as 30min
Nikola Vucevic(ORL) 11.1ppg 9rb 1.8as 31min
Tyson Chandler(NYK) 9.9ppg 7.7rb 0.1as 28min
Roy Hibbert(IND) 8.8ppg 7.9rb 1.4as 29min
Emeka Okafor(WAS) 8.4ppg 6rb 0.7as 24min
Jonas Valanciunas(TOR) 8.4ppg 5.3rb 1.1as 20min
Brendan Haywood(CHA) 7.8ppg 8.2rb 0.5as 29min
Samuel Dalembert(MIL) 6.3ppg 4.6rb 0.6as 16min
Zaza Pachulia(ATL) 5.6ppg 7rb 1.8as 26min
Lavoy Allen(PHI) 6.1ppg 4rb 0.9as 22min
User avatar
thelead
RealGM
Posts: 15,137
And1: 3,795
Joined: Apr 08, 2008
 

Re: Magic(2-5) @ Pistons(1-8) 

Post#425 » by thelead » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:26 pm

MagicFan32 wrote:
thelead wrote:
And our 3 wins come against the 4-5 Nuggets, 4-5 Suns, and 1-9 Pistons. What's your point?

why do you come here just to bash the team all the time?


First, I called a win before the game started. I then called a win when we were still down in the game. I point out positives when there are things to be positive about and you say I "bash" the team when I point out a FACT. Where did I bash our precious team in that post? The guy before me pointed out a FACT that we've only lost to good teams. That's fine, I pointed out a FACT that we've only beaten bad teams. I guess facts are hard for people to deal with.
Image

eyriq wrote:
I don't get the attachment to Harris. What about his game indicates he is anything more than just 'a guy'? The evidence for him being more than that just isn't there.
:nonono:
arkknight1988
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,068
And1: 94
Joined: Apr 29, 2011
   

Re: Magic(2-5) @ Pistons(1-8) 

Post#426 » by arkknight1988 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:48 pm

Nicholsons per 36 is very impressive. JJ was amazing this game and afflalos defense on monroe was at the end of the game was huge. Nice to get a win.
User avatar
thelead
RealGM
Posts: 15,137
And1: 3,795
Joined: Apr 08, 2008
 

Re: Magic(2-5) @ Pistons(1-8) 

Post#427 » by thelead » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:50 pm

arkknight1988 wrote:Nicholsons per 36 is very impressive. JJ was amazing this game and afflalos defense on monroe was at the end of the game was huge. Nice to get a win.

I would like to add how Jameer ran the show was great and how good it was to see BBD play the game properly and not try to win the game by himself.
Image

eyriq wrote:
I don't get the attachment to Harris. What about his game indicates he is anything more than just 'a guy'? The evidence for him being more than that just isn't there.
:nonono:
User avatar
magicman123
RealGM
Posts: 25,873
And1: 533
Joined: Jan 14, 2007
Location: "THO"
   

Re: Magic(2-5) @ Pistons(1-8) 

Post#428 » by magicman123 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:26 pm

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
drsd
RealGM
Posts: 20,318
And1: 543
Joined: Mar 16, 2003
     

Re: Magic(2-5) @ Pistons(1-8) 

Post#429 » by drsd » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:09 pm

ESPN reports that this was a nearly unique game for the Magic; to come back from 13 down on the road to win is incredibly rare for Orlando.

An incredible win.

..
User avatar
OrlandO
RealGM
Posts: 10,052
And1: 3,651
Joined: May 27, 2009

Re: Magic(2-5) @ Pistons(1-8) 

Post#430 » by OrlandO » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:39 pm

magicman123 wrote:Image

JJ looks like a ballerina there :lol:
Image
User avatar
OrlandO
RealGM
Posts: 10,052
And1: 3,651
Joined: May 27, 2009

Re: Magic(2-5) @ Pistons(1-8) 

Post#431 » by OrlandO » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:44 pm

drsd wrote:ESPN reports that this was a nearly unique game for the Magic; to come back from 13 down on the road to win is incredibly rare for Orlando.

An incredible win.

..

Comeback aside, last night was our first road win. They're technically not wrong haha. It's cool though, I'd rather people not take us seriously, so we shock them when we actually do something good.
Image
User avatar
Immature Luigi
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,440
And1: 1,508
Joined: Oct 13, 2012

Re: Magic(2-5) @ Pistons(1-8) 

Post#432 » by Immature Luigi » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:27 pm

Vuc and Nicholson's detriment is on the physical side. They have to get stronger and i think they will seeing how bulked up Justin Harper was after working with our staff. Vuc is what 240 now? 250-255 will be just right for him gaining a bit more upper and lower body strength will help him with rebounding and gaining better post position. Same thing with Nicholson he's getting pushed around a bit so getting stronger will help him battle in the post but if you look at it that's all they really need to work on because they are so skilled already all they have to do skill-wise is just sharpen them.

They both also have crazy wingspans which allows them to play bigger than they are with Vuc(7'4 wingspan) Nicholson(7'4 wingspan) as they grow and learn how to properly use that length they could be fairly decent defensively.

Oh and Nicholson should be playing more man his per36 is pretty good something like 19&7 with a block on 54% shooting only thing holding him back is defense and rebounding.
Image
Cheap Jersey Nice Quality
User avatar
OrlDave
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,010
And1: 1,046
Joined: May 05, 2003
       

Re: Magic(2-5) @ Pistons(1-8) 

Post#433 » by OrlDave » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:48 am

Optimus_Steel wrote:I have a hard time finding how you cannot be impressed with Vuc. Ok maybe If you are comparing him to Dwight in terms of athletecism and defensive presence then ok but thats totally unfair because he is a completely different player. He is an extremely young skilled center. I like the fact that he is a willing passer and makes some nice passes. He made a nice cutting pass for a layup. JJ after the game complimented Vuc on his nice pass for that go ahead 3. He also made a nice pass to Baby for the last bucket. He can score, inside or out, although he does need to get stronger and work on that turnaround hook shot. His jumper is looking better. He is a willing rebounder. He is 22 and he is going to get better.


I like to see people defending Vuc. There are 3 people on this board who are absurdly critical of him. The guy played 51 games last year at 15 mpg. 2 years, 2 teams, 2 coaches. He's playing with a whole new group of guys. His detractors make it seem like he's a 5 year vet who's been on the team for a while.

He has a lot of talent, but he'll never be Dwight. He has much better offensive skills now then Dwight has been able to develop in 8 years. He is a decent passer. Clearly his defense is much much worse than Dwights, but he'll get better at team defense. Really how many centers are even in the same class as Dwight defensively? Chandler, Hibbert, Bynum? Maybe 2 or 3 others, but that's about it.

Not saying you guys can't be a little critical of rookies and 2nd year guys, but let's be realistic with our expectations.
User avatar
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
Posts: 24,048
And1: 2,103
Joined: Sep 16, 2003
Location: Orlando, FL- home of the Magic and OC Lions!
   

Re: Magic(2-5) @ Pistons(1-8) 

Post#434 » by Optimus_Steel » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:31 am

OrlDave wrote:
Optimus_Steel wrote:I have a hard time finding how you cannot be impressed with Vuc. Ok maybe If you are comparing him to Dwight in terms of athletecism and defensive presence then ok but thats totally unfair because he is a completely different player. He is an extremely young skilled center. I like the fact that he is a willing passer and makes some nice passes. He made a nice cutting pass for a layup. JJ after the game complimented Vuc on his nice pass for that go ahead 3. He also made a nice pass to Baby for the last bucket. He can score, inside or out, although he does need to get stronger and work on that turnaround hook shot. His jumper is looking better. He is a willing rebounder. He is 22 and he is going to get better.


I like to see people defending Vuc. There are 3 people on this board who are absurdly critical of him. The guy played 51 games last year at 15 mpg. 2 years, 2 teams, 2 coaches. He's playing with a whole new group of guys. His detractors make it seem like he's a 5 year vet who's been on the team for a while.

He has a lot of talent, but he'll never be Dwight. He has much better offensive skills now then Dwight has been able to develop in 8 years. He is a decent passer. Clearly his defense is much much worse than Dwights, but he'll get better at team defense. Really how many centers are even in the same class as Dwight defensively? Chandler, Hibbert, Bynum? Maybe 2 or 3 others, but that's about it.

Not saying you guys can't be a little critical of rookies and 2nd year guys, but let's be realistic with our expectations.


The way the NBA is going, with the perimeter oriented game, it minimizes the impact of guys like Dwight. The Heat dont even have a real center anymore starting. Christina Bosh is their center. I think that can Vuc can develop into a starting center for a championship team if he has the desire to work on his game. He does not have to be Dwight, and thats a good thing. We need skilled players.
aka: prorl
Image
User avatar
SnuggLes__
Pro Prospect
Posts: 907
And1: 3
Joined: Aug 02, 2009

Re: Magic(2-5) @ Pistons(1-8) 

Post#435 » by SnuggLes__ » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:52 am

J.J is a very pretty man
GANGSTERDOG wrote:The chemistry was the best Ive seen in a while surprisingly. Everyone was out there trying to prove something.... well maybe except Duhon

Return to Orlando Magic


Users browsing this forum: No registered users