ImageImageImageImage

McRoberts 14 minutes, Harkless 10

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,007

Re: McRoberts 14 minutes, Harkless 10 

Post#21 » by KillMonger » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:16 pm

drsd wrote:Caoch Vaughn is trying to win a winnable game. Playing a rookie that failed to make camp is not a path towards victories.

failed to make camp? wha.... i don't even
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#22 » by Blue_and_Whte » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:30 pm

Bobby Ray wrote:
drsd wrote:Caoch Vaughn is trying to win a winnable game. Playing a rookie that failed to make camp is not a path towards victories.

failed to make camp? wha.... i don't even

Who failed to make camp? The guy that had to have sports hernia surgery? That's not failing to make camp....that's recovering from SPORTS HERNIA SURGERY.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Post#23 » by Blue_and_Whte » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:38 pm

Zmill wrote:
Development =/= Playtime

The whole Stan not playing young players is only kinda true I think. Fans just got so traumatized watching J-Rich and Hedo start at the wings and Duhon play backup PG that the rookies became overrated. It is easy to see now that Harper, Ish, and Orton are not good basketball players.

Harkless has played pretty well as of the past couple of games but he stunk it up tonight and dn't really outplay McBob. If the trade deadline comes and Harkless still isn't playing then maybe it is a problem, but as of now he is a rookie trying to beat out a vet.
even then I wouldn't think its a problem. Some players take more than a year to develop.
#2A
#Adopt
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,273

Post#24 » by JBSouthpaw » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:50 pm

Maurice did miss all of Training camp, so he may not know all the assignments yet.

I kind of like bringing them slowly, will build in some humility, no one is guaranteed playing time.
Neither looked good yesterday, hopefully they'll see more time tonight.
OrlDave
General Manager
And1: 3,017

Post#25 » by OrlDave » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:35 pm

I think McBob is a lot better than I gave him credit for before the season when he plays at PF. He's been better than Ayon for sure. He's a good passer and garbage guy. Pretty meh at everything else, but he's about what you'd expect out of a backup PF. When he plays SF, however, I just can't stand it. It makes me want to gouge my eyes out. I'd much rather watch Harkless or Dq Jones out there making mistakes, but learning than watch McBob guarding the other team's SF.
KillMonger
RealGM

Post#26 » by KillMonger » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:11 pm

OrlDave wrote:I think McBob is a lot better than I gave him credit for before the season when he plays at PF. He's been better than Ayon for sure. He's a good passer and garbage guy. Pretty meh at everything else, but he's about what you'd expect out of a backup PF. When he plays SF, however, I just can't stand it. It makes me want to gouge my eyes out. I'd much rather watch Harkless or Dq Jones out there making mistakes, but learning than watch McBob guarding the other team's SF.

Oh yeah watching Mcroberts at SF sucks because he's taking away minutes from guys that should be playing there. I mean old man Tayshaun Prince was blowing by him the past detroit game and in the brooklyn game he was playing like 8 feet off Keith Bogans which tells me he didn't read the scouting report because Bogans is a shooter you don't give him that kind of space. McRoberts is a PF make no mistake i don't get why we're playing him there because the numbers say he's not good at that spot
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,649

Post#27 » by thelead » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:38 pm

Harkless will get more time when he actually does stuff on the court. He's playing lethargically at times. He doesn't play with much urgency when he is out there minus the knicks game (against his favorite team).
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,884

Post#28 » by JF5 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:09 pm

Harkless didn't play in the preseason nor training camp. He's slowing being placed back into the rotation
Catledge
Starter
And1: 834

Post#29 » by Catledge » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:59 pm

I think it's hard to give a lot of minutes to two really young guys who are clearly not ready for prime time when you already have several other young guys in the rotation. Guys like Moore and Vucivic are clearly much further along in their development, but they are likelier to continue developing if they are on the floor with other guys who are correctly executing the game plan. With two or three other young players in the game, that would likely reduce the number of good catches that Vucivic gets and put more pressure on Moore to create individually.
KillMonger
RealGM

Post#30 » by KillMonger » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:40 am

I kinda want these guys to get minutes now because to me if you aren't going to use then now when it's early in the season when are you going to use them?
G-Heel
Head Coach
And1: 365

Post#31 » by G-Heel » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:28 am

We need to play the vets more so we can trade them. I'm not worry about Harkless, he's still very young. ~15 minutes a game is perfect for him right now. If he does well later on in the season, his minutes will probably increase to 20-25 a game. Next season hopefully we'll see him play around 30 minutes. Giving young players undeserved minutes will only enlarge his ego and develop bad habits.
Fire Otis!
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,916

Post#32 » by drsd » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:27 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:failed to make camp? wha.... i don't even

Harkless is very, very behind other rookies because, yes, he failed to make camp. It was an injury, as luckily in the NBA rookies must sign, but, yes, he failed to make camp.

Look at Nicholson. He made camp and is contributing. This is what Harkless lost. I do not expect him to be a regular contributor until next year. He needs a jump shot, and needs to learn NBA-defensive sets. These are not in-season skills.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,916

Post#33 » by drsd » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:28 pm

G-Heel wrote:Next season hopefully we'll see him play around 30 minutes.

Hedo has a player option. But if he is released at half, or is traded, one can reasonably expect Harkless to be Orlando's SF starter next year. This job is his to have.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Post#34 » by Blue_and_Whte » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:03 pm

drsd wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:failed to make camp? wha.... i don't even

Harkless is very, very behind other rookies because, yes, he failed to make camp. It was an injury, as luckily in the NBA rookies must sign, but, yes, he failed to make camp.

Look at Nicholson. He made camp and is contributing. This is what Harkless lost. I do not expect him to be a regular contributor until next year. He needs a jump shot, and needs to learn NBA-defensive sets. These are not in-season skills.

Fyi...you misquoted me...

Yes he was injured..he didn't fail at anything. When you say "he failed to make camp" it implies that he was a failure in traing camp. He was recovering from surgery and as a result missed camp
Speaking of rookies, I would even consider starting Nicholson over baby. He seems to play smarter and plays better post defense right now. Davis plays hard and I love that about him but I just don't think hes the right fit for this team in its current state.

I'm not sure what you mean by those aren't in season sets...I think those are things learned and the best time to do that is on a team that isn't winning anything right now. If he's that far behind from missing traing camp then playing him big mins in real nba games can surely help him bridge that gap that you say exists.
#2A
#Adopt
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,935

Post#35 » by Last Guardian » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:27 pm

I think we should hold off complaining until after the trade deadline. They may very well be playing these guys to hopefully increase trade value.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,649

Post#36 » by thelead » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:30 pm

Last Guardian wrote:I think we should hold off complaining until after the trade deadline. They may very well be playing these guys to hopefully increase trade value.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,600

Post#37 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:45 pm

To be honest, I really don't care to see any rookies get many minutes until after the trade deadline. Until then, play the tradeable vets as much as possible.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!

Return to Orlando Magic