ImageImageImageImage

What if Big Baby showed up to Training Camp next year.....

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

SmiteaDwight
Banned User
And1: 14

What if Big Baby showed up to Training Camp next year..... 

Post#1 » by SmiteaDwight » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:45 am

50 pounds lighter?

They interview him and he just says " I wanted to go get serious for my contract year"

I'll bet he would have better hops and not get blocked as much around the rim. He would basically be the same size as Brandon Bass and he dunks it super easy around the rim.

Whaddaya think? Players are supposed to lose weight when they get older anyways if they wanna keep playing, as Caron Butler did.
Mad Guru
Sixth Man
And1: 304

Re: What if Big Baby showed up to Training Camp next year... 

Post#2 » by Mad Guru » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:47 am

uhhhhh
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,002

Post#3 » by fendilim » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:24 am

lol. not gonna happen. he'd be ineffective if he loses that much weight...
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#4 » by magicman123 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:32 am

Losing weight will not help, hes never been the athletic/explosive type
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,112

Post#5 » by AdamTheGreek » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:35 am

50 pounds lighter and he'd weigh as much as Jameer.

Glen is in shape, he just has man boobs and some sag to him. Deal with it.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,854

Post#6 » by KillMonger » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:50 am

I've always thought Baby could be better if he's lighter on his feet so to speak. It's not like he was always this big his 2nd or 3rd year he was significantly slimmer than he is now. His Wide body helps with screens but i feel like if he was lighter he could be a bit better offensively. Honestly though i think there is a good enough chance he's traded if the price is right at the deadline or in the summer. I would be somewhat surprised if he's on the roster next season, to make it clear i'm not knocking Baby by saying trade him just to trade him i just think he has some value that's all
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#7 » by magicman123 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:59 am

at one point in college he was about 300 pounds, hes listed around 290 right now...Davis will always be a big guy, just the way hes built
SmiteaDwight
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#8 » by SmiteaDwight » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:00 am

AdamTheGreek wrote:50 pounds lighter and he'd weigh as much as Jameer.

Glen is in shape, he just has man boobs and some sag to him. Deal with it.

Glen is listed at 289lbs. Jameer weighs 190lbs.

289-50=239

You are wrong :D .

Maybe 50 is a bit much, if he lost 40lbs then that would be about ideal.

by comparison, Brandon Bass weighs about 250lbs. So if Glen lost 40lbs he'd be the same weight as Brandon Bass, and you're kidding yourself if you don't think he'd jump higher if he lost 40 pounds of flab :wink:
Reverse_Angle
Assistant Coach
And1: 262

Post#9 » by Reverse_Angle » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:45 am

even 40 is asking too much and maintaining that would be hard for him anyways had he shed that. That requires a huge lifestyle change.

in any case, nobody could loose that much weight in the off-season and still be ready for the season. Too much loss of strength and endurance. The maximum amount for athletes is 1 pound a week. Following a calorie deficit diet during the season is not advised and would have crippling effects.

however, I think he will be gone before that. I do not think rob is high on glen.

"Aaron Gordon will cost Henny's job by Dec 2016." Predicted Dec 2014.

"O'Quinn will have a longer and more successful NBA career than Nicholson." Predicted Jun 2012. Verified on Dec 2014.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#10 » by OrlandO » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:28 am

Didn't Perkins drop like 30 pounds last year? His rebounding numbers dropped by 1.5 last season and this year they're down another 1.5. Sometimes it's not good for a player to lose weight. If Baby lost weight, he'd be even more undersized as a PF... sure, he may be able to jump a little more, but it's not like he'd be dunking all over people... his game will suffer in other areas without the extra weight too. 20 pounds might be a good middle ground, but 40 or 50... I think that would do him more harm than good.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,854

Post#11 » by KillMonger » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:06 am

Asking for 40 pounds is too much but him being around 270 could work out. Being a bit lighter,quicker on his feet could help him in those situations where he's on an Island 1 on 1. For some reason we always seem to give him the ball in iso situations for some reason but i digress. Being a bit more explosive with his moves because he's lighter could make a difference offensively. Just Spitballing but maybe being lighter could allow him to jump so he can get some air under his flat jumper lol i swear his shot is basically a line drive. Every time he shoots it i think he's going to miss because it's so flat
Neon1
RealGM
And1: 1,576

Post#12 » by Neon1 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:21 am

Glen is and has always been between 310-320 pounds, including his time at LSU. Even just last year when he was supposedly "in shape" he weighed 317.

The lightest weight Glen has been was summer of his rookie year when he got in shape for the nba draft combine and weighed in at 298.

Glen Davis has never been 289 post Jr year of high school maybe, Same as Jameer has not weighed under 200 pounds since his rookie year when he was 199 pounds, Meer clearly has gained a lot of weight since then. Meer's 190 came from his Jr. year at St Joes when he entered the Draft combine but later backed out.
A smart coach once said, "Potential just means you're not good enough yet." Playing on potential is like living on air: It's essential, but if thats all you have, you're eventually going to starve.

Twitter: @CleonONE IG: @usaidwhatnah
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,273

Post#13 » by Bensational » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:03 am

Baby has been in the league for 6 seasons now, and never weighed under 300lbs. but sure, i can see where you got the idea he'd just up and lose 50lbs in one summer.
Dub_Sax
Rookie
And1: 111

Post#14 » by Dub_Sax » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:42 am

SmiteaDwight wrote:50 pounds lighter?

They interview him and he just says " I wanted to go get serious for my contract year"I'll bet he would have better hops and not get blocked as much around the rim. He would basically be the same size as Brandon Bass and he dunks it super easy around the rim.

Whaddaya think? Players are supposed to lose weight when they get older anyways if they wanna keep playing, as Caron Butler did.

Do we really want a player that only tries to "get right" for a contract year?
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,607

Post#15 » by RookieStar » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:42 am

Dub_Sax wrote:

They interview him and he just says " I wanted to go get serious for my contract year"I'll bet he would have better hops and not get blocked as much around the rim. He would basically be the same size as Brandon Bass and he dunks it super easy around the rim.

sure.. if we're gunning for the championship
Dub_Sax
Rookie
And1: 111

Post#16 » by Dub_Sax » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:09 pm

RookieStar wrote:
Dub_Sax wrote:

sure.. if we're gunning for the championship

Which we are not... as currently constructed, right? And he's a "leader" on the team.. Not exactly something the rooks need to see...only getting in shape because of a contract year..
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#17 » by damo[23] » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:41 pm

I dont know why but I get the feeling he is going to be one of those players that if anything gets bigger as his career goes long.

I dont see why he would get in shape if he didn't bother to when he was on a potential championship team (Celtics) or knew he'd have a much larger role (Orlando, also no pun intended).

Sure a contract year might entice him to shed a few pounds, but he's had plenty of reason to before and hasn't bothered.

As for would it do him some favours? Of course, it doesn't matter if he is not an athletic/explosive player, carrying less weight would be huge (again no pun intended) as long as he did it right. If he cut some fat, while still looking to gain power/strength. Any professional athlete that is in such a dynamic sport like basketball and is carrying around a huge excess of fat/body weight is doing it wrong, its not like baseball or even american football where the fat boys can sit down after they have run 4 yards.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#18 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:52 pm

If Big Baby came to camp in great shape, then I would have to say he is going to prove ya'll wrong.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#19 » by damo[23] » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:30 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:If Big Baby came to camp in great shape, then I would have to say he is going to prove ya'll wrong.

If he came to came in shape that would be what proved me wrong.

I think IF he did come in shape, he'd be a significantly better player, I mean honestly, is a shock to expect a professional athlete to improve his condition and shape and expect more of him because of it?
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,829

Post#20 » by Last Guardian » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:39 pm

I'd rather he showed up 5 inches taller.

Return to Orlando Magic