ImageImageImageImage

Official Speculation Thread (Pt. XLIX"Reg. Season"Ed.)

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,269

Re: Official Speculation Thread (Pt. XLIX"Reg. Season"Ed.) 

Post#1201 » by Bensational » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:45 am

BrettC03 wrote:
Bensational wrote:just having a quick squiz through league leaders in PPS (points per shot), and some of the surprise names who might find themselves in the mix for trade talks:

#4 - Carl Landry
#18 - Jared Dudley
#18 - Kenneth Faried
#22 - Darren Collison
#24 - Gordon Hayward
#24 - JJ Hickson
#26 - Marshon Brooks
#30 - OJ Mayo
#35 - JJ Redick (highest placed Orlando Magic player)
#41 - Steve Novak
#60 - Greg Monroe
#68 - Aaron Afflalo (2nd for Magic)
#68 - Chandler Parsons
#71 - DMC
#71 - Damian Lillard
#105 - Alexey Shved
#105 - Brandon Jennings
#105 - Jameer Nelson
#117 - Brad Beal
#120 - Rudy Gay
#125 - Dion Waiters

(Just as a reference for those, top 3 are Tyson Chandler, Dwight, Durant, Harden #5, LBJ #8)

the only guy that really ticks all the boxes there is Monroe. the others don't score enough to demonstrate they can be a central piece in an offense.

Of those listed, I think the only possible 'stars' would be Monroe, Cousins, and Lillard. Possibly Beal or Waiters. And Gay could be considered at that level now.

i guess my point for listing some of those guys was to give a reference to how inefficient they rank in overall terms, particularly when looking for a future star. (mostly that's guys like Jennings and Gay - although I'm still convinced Gay's got more potential than he's showing).

IMO, when looking for a potential star, you want someone who can already score at a reasonable clip (over 15ppg, closer to 20ppg), but who's PPS is still elite.

last season, Harden ranked #2 with an efficiency of 1.66. this year he's down to 1.48, but he's putting up nearly 10ppg more. his efficiency dipped slightly, but his performance is still elite. this is the kind of guy you want to target.

Afflalo ranked #10 (1.35). the season before he was #14 (1.38). you can see why Hennigan targeted him now. unfortunately he's dropped considerably, down to 1.20pps, which has shown he can't handle a featured role. he's an elite role player/3rd option, but he's not likely to step up as a #1 option. same with guys like Hayward, Dudley, Novak, Hickson, etc. still, this is the kind of player i think the Magic will continue to target.

last season, Monroe and DMC were eerily similar in performances and rank. they're still young, and at least they are consistent. they also benefit from being big men and having higher % FGAs. they could definitely be a top 2 piece in a team, but i'm not convinced they could be a #1 on the level of LeBron or Durant.

Gay ranked 73 last season with 1.15. much higher than his performance has shown this year, but still less than Afflalo's down season this year.

Mayo ranked 85th last season with 1.13pps, this season he's 30 with 1.30. that's an example of someone stepping up to fill the role of a star player.
OMPunk
Lead Assistant
And1: 9

Post#1202 » by OMPunk » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:48 am

MagicFan41 wrote:Anyone else think Chandler Parsons would fit in well with our rebuild? SF position which we are weak at. A Hedo replacement (meaning a guy who can do a lot of things well, put up Hedo-esque 12-5-5 type numbers on a nightly basis but on an extremely cheap contract). From Otown, a hard-working humble type guy. Fits well with what we are looking for imo. Houston needs a PF too, maybe one of our vets?

I remember when there was the rumors around All Star weekend that DuhWite may be going to Houston Parsons commented on the prospects of coming to Orlando. Remember he was pretty excited about coming home and playing for the Magic.

He'd be a great piece for what the team is trying to build, unless we're able to land that Star or cornerstone SF.
Random Laker Fan wrote:Glad to have Dwight on my team but dude is a fraud and a clown at the same time. He's like one of those guys that makes up stories to get a reaction from people who he thinks cares.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1203 » by Bensational » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:54 am

Parsons' efficiency and versatilty is well worth getting excited about. We don't have anything Houston would want, though. Would have to be a 3 team deal landing them some kind of star to partner with Harden - and you best believe Morey would be as picky as Hennigan is on that front.
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#1204 » by magicman123 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:55 am

MagicFan41 wrote:Anyone else think Chandler Parsons would fit in well with our rebuild? SF position which we are weak at. A Hedo replacement (meaning a guy who can do a lot of things well, put up Hedo-esque 12-5-5 type numbers on a nightly basis but on an extremely cheap contract). From Otown, a hard-working humble type guy. Fits well with what we are looking for imo. Houston needs a PF too, maybe one of our vets?

he would be a good fit, i wouldn't mind henny going after these guys, all would be good

Beal
Horford
Parsons
David Lee
Noah
Brewer
Haslem
Calathes
Speights
OMPunk
Lead Assistant
And1: 9

Post#1205 » by OMPunk » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:05 am

magicman123 wrote:

he would be a good fit, i wouldn't mind henny going after these guys, all would be good

Beal
Horford
Parsons
David Lee
Noah
Brewer
Haslem
Calathes
Speights

At first I was like

but then I was like

It's funny though cause Id love to have Beal, Horford, Lee, Parsons and Noah
Random Laker Fan wrote:Glad to have Dwight on my team but dude is a fraud and a clown at the same time. He's like one of those guys that makes up stories to get a reaction from people who he thinks cares.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,113

Post#1206 » by Def Swami » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:21 am

magicman123 wrote:

Beal
Horford
Parsons
David Lee
Noah
Brewer
Haslem
Calathes
Speights

Bonner*
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#1207 » by MagicFan32 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:28 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:
Sources close to the situation said recently that Orlando has been involved in virtually every trade scenario out there and that Assistant GM Scott Perry has been aggressive in looking at everything that is possible. HoopsWorld

NBA trade rumors: Magic "aggressive" in pursuit of possible trades, according to report

The Orlando Magic are not merely active in trade talks as the 2013 NBA trading deadline of February 21st draws closer; no, Orlando is "aggressive" and "involved in virtually every trade scenario out there," reports Steve Kyler of HOOPSWORLD. Rob Hennigan, the Magic's general manager, has tasked top assistant Scott Perry to "[look] at everything that is possible" on the trade market."

I love Henny, Otis would be to busy saying "I LIKE THIS TEAM" this is what front offices are supposed to do, looking at each and every possible scenario, and then attempting to make the right decisions for the team
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1208 » by Bensational » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:16 am

Anyone looking for a good read should give this a look over:

http://www.hardwoodparoxysm.com/2012/04 ... -scarcity/

It's a different take on makeup of a player. touches on something plenty of us have talked about, such as the kind of player to build around and who to team them up with.
Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Post#1209 » by Cigamodnalro » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:17 pm

Bensational wrote:Anyone looking for a good read should give this a look over:

It's a different take on makeup of a player. touches on something plenty of us have talked about, such as the kind of player to build around and who to team them up with.

Interesting read, thanks for the link
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
RYgoBOOM
Bench Warmer
And1: 292

Post#1210 » by RYgoBOOM » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:29 pm

I'd take Parsons in a heartbeat lol.

I played against him and Nick Calathes a few times in high school and I figured they'd both make it to the league eventually.

Parsons numbers last year kind of told me the kind of player he'd be and now he is showing out. He was like 6'1 like me for the first couple years of high school and then the next year I played him he was 6'9 and I was still 6'1 -____- lol

The only thing working against parsons coming here in how much Mchale loves him
www.TheAutoSkin.com

Orlando's Elite Peelable Paint 1 stop shop!
trebone
Lead Assistant
And1: 324

Post#1211 » by trebone » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:40 pm

I believe Parsons is on a 4 year deal with options for like 800k per, thats a player that would be tough to move, I could actually see BBD in Houston next to Asik would be a good fit,

Would anyone here swap Harkless for Parsons?
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,816

Post#1212 » by drsd » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:41 pm

Bensational wrote:Anyone looking for a good read should give this a look over:

By this, offensively, a dream-team should have a one that drives the ball, a three that launches from behind the arc, and a five that pounds it in. Orlando has no plan at PG, a future SF that lacks a jump shot in Harkless, and a Center in Vučević who scores from outside. Hmm.

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,816

Post#1213 » by drsd » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:43 pm

trebone wrote:I believe Parsons is on a 4 year deal with options for like 800k per, thats a player that would be tough to move, I could actually see BBD in Houston next to Asik would be a good fit,

Would anyone here swap Harkless for Parsons?

GM Hennigan must see something in Harkless that no GM saw in Parsons. I cannot see this trade.

ferk
Starter
And1: 689

Post#1214 » by ferk » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:20 pm

How bout this ?

Nets zbo,tony Allen
Orl teletovic,rudy ,m.brooks 2015 mem 1st 2013 nets 1st 2015 nets 1st
Mem ,humps. Harkless

What would orl add to a trade like that?
Would orl take on humps him anrk would be nice coming off the books?

I'm a mem fan and just messi ngaround moving gay and zbo

Nts zbo Allen
Orl . M.brooks,humpa.tovic same picks as above.
Mem-afflalo ,+?

To put Rudys shooting into perspective.

Rudy Gay, Marc Gasol, Tony Allen, Mike Conley, Mo Speights and Wayne Ellington have the worst shooting percentages of their career right now. Jerryd Bayless and Pondexter have the worst since their rookie seasons.

Hollins is probably the worst offensive coach I've ever seen.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#1215 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:23 pm

^^^Interesting trade proposition. I doubt Memphis would do those trades and the Magic wouldn't be getting that many 1sts either.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
ferk
Starter

Post#1216 » by ferk » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:35 pm

The nets would be awesome looking though I think they may send out the picks.
Mem cap room looks much better going forward and it only cost a pick ?
Orl gets young guys and picks.

Don't know why my phone changed turk to to ankg haha.

I just see lots of options even Conley and Nelson could be involved.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#1217 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:06 pm

ferk wrote:The nets would be awesome looking though I think they may send out the picks.
Mem cap room looks much better going forward and it only cost a pick ?
Orl gets young guys and picks.

Don't know why my phone changed turk to to ankg haha.

I just see lots of options even Conley and Nelson could be involved.

I like the trade but don't understand how Magic get soo much for Harkless.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
ferk
Starter

Post#1218 » by ferk » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:14 pm

Meant to ask what else orl would add to a that trade my bad
ferk
Starter

Post#1219 » by ferk » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:17 pm

ferk wrote:Meant to ask what else orl would add to a trade my bad

Really don't know what orl what send out in both those trades.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,074

Post#1220 » by tiderulz » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:29 pm

ferk wrote:How bout this ?

Nets zbo,tony Allen
Orl teletovic,rudy ,m.brooks 2015 mem 1st 2013 nets 1st 2015 nets 1st
Mem ,humps. Harkless

What would orl add to a trade like that?
Would orl take on humps him anrk would be nice coming off the books?

I'm a mem fan and just messi ngaround moving gay and zbo

Nts zbo Allen
Orl . M.brooks,humpa.tovic same picks as above.
Mem-afflalo ,+?

To put Rudys shooting into perspective.

Rudy Gay, Marc Gasol, Tony Allen, Mike Conley, Mo Speights and Wayne Ellington have the worst shooting percentages of their career right now. Jerryd Bayless and Pondexter have the worst since their rookie seasons.

Hollins is probably the worst offensive coach I've ever seen.

i cant see any way Memphis sends out both Zbo and Gay. And if they did, short of getting a star back, they wouldnt be adding any picks.

Return to Orlando Magic