ImageImageImageImage

Official Speculation Thread (Pt. XLIX"Reg. Season"Ed.)

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,132

Re: Official Speculation Thread (Pt. XLIX"Reg. Season"Ed.) 

Post#1361 » by Optimus_Steel » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:38 pm

OMPunk wrote:
Nyce_1 wrote:Take this with a grain of salt from Magical:

Magic shopping afflalo harder then JJ.

aka: prorl
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#1362 » by Nyce_1 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:41 pm

ZeusIsLoose wrote:My theory on this is that Henny might have talked to Arron over the last couple of days about trades and he took it personally. Hence why he played like sh*t. I firmly believe he really wants to be the guy to build around and thats fine, but its a business and the Magic need to do whats best for them.

I'd roll with this theory also.

Now, I ask, who do you guys think has more value: Afflalo or Redick?
ZeusIsLoose
Senior
And1: 234

Post#1363 » by ZeusIsLoose » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:43 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:
ZeusIsLoose wrote:My theory on this is that Henny might have talked to Arron over the last couple of days about trades and he took it personally. Hence why he played like sh*t. I firmly believe he really wants to be the guy to build around and thats fine, but its a business and the Magic need to do whats best for them.

Redick and thats because of an expiring deal. He will want a raise and it should be interesting to see what the Magic will do in regards to that.
woosah
RealGM
And1: 5,275

Post#1364 » by woosah » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:46 pm

Thanks for the clarification Zeus, because that wasn't what you said but i see what you meant.

It makes sense they would be shopping Afflalo to compare returns and weigh options. It would be easier to keep the guy who grew here, is already connected to the community and has a family here (sort of, a wife) rather than a guy who just got here and has no connection to the franchise whatsoever. They could just offer JJ the 8 mil that Afflalo makes. Is that the hometown discount referred to earlier? Would JJ take that? I don't think it would be difficult to trade either one.

I like AA, but i think it's best he is traded because the fan base doesn't seem to have taken to him, and you have to think about who can get people to still come out to games. I think Baby should go because he thinks he should assume Dwight's old role and that team is dead. I saw on the pregame interview for the pacers game where he said after that series he knew he could be a player in this league and if not the first option then the 2nd or 3rd. He should be behind Meer, AA, and JJ to me, and is needed to be more of a defense and rebound guy. If he is going to shoot 13 times per half, that won't work. He needs to fall back or get gone.
Woj is the new Bucher. Shams is the new Woj. Espn is the new TMZ. The NBA is the new WWE.
Boo.
Nyce_1
RealGM

Post#1365 » by Nyce_1 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:48 pm

ZeusIsLoose wrote:
Nyce_1 wrote:

Redick and thats because of an expiring deal. He will want a raise and it should be interesting to see what the Magic will do in regards to that.

But because he's expiring, teams may use the notion that he can easily walk at the end of the year for nothing, so why give up a lot for him? Whereas Afflalo is locked in for several more years at a pretty decent contract. Teams looking to get Redick for his expiring are probably looking to send back garbage and put themselves in a win/win situation: if he stays, win; if he leaves, win because we got rid of xyz and freed up some space.
ZeusIsLoose
Senior

Post#1366 » by ZeusIsLoose » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:56 pm

woosah wrote:Thanks for the clarification Zeus, because that wasn't what you said but i see what you meant.

It makes sense they would be shopping Afflalo to compare returns and weigh options. It would be easier to keep the guy who grew here, is already connected to the community and has a family here (sort of, a wife) rather than a guy who just got here and has no connection to the franchise whatsoever. They could just offer JJ the 8 mil that Afflalo makes. Is that the hometown discount referred to earlier? Would JJ take that? I don't think it would be difficult to trade either one.

I like AA, but i think it's best he is traded because the fan base doesn't seem to have taken to him, and you have to think about who can get people to still come out to games. I think Baby should go because he thinks he should assume Dwight's old role and that team is dead. I saw on the pregame interview for the pacers game where he said after that series he knew he could be a player in this league and if not the first option then the 2nd or 3rd. He should be behind Meer, AA, and JJ to me, and is needed to be more of a defense and rebound guy. If he is going to shoot 13 times per half, that won't work. He needs to fall back or get gone.

That 8 mil figure is exactly what i come up with. 3 years at 8 mil per. My theory is: Magic showcasing JJ to see if Henny can get an outrageous offer he cant refuse. If nothing, trade Afflalo and resign JJ for about 8 mil per.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,593

Post#1367 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:58 pm

Keep both and fill out the rest of the team. Combined, they equal better than just one All-star.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,116

Post#1368 » by Def Swami » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:10 pm

Don't jump to conclusions about Afflalo. And I think it's extremely convenient for Magical to tweet that after Afflalo has that uncharacteristic game.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#1369 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:15 pm

Personally, I think Afflalo is just down because he hates losing and the coach gave him a hard time for being a chucker (well, he is). So, he probably told himself,"If you don't want me to shoot, then I will just play Defense and pass the ball." JJ looked great because of that, but for the Magic to win, they need both to shoot the ball to keep opposing defenses honest.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
in-limbo
Sixth Man
And1: 362

Post#1370 » by in-limbo » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:55 pm

JJ has earned the right to stay if he wants to, and by that I mean agree to a reasonable deal. As you guys have said, 8 mil per for 3 or 4 years could maybe get it done. I like Afflalo a lot and if you can have both of those guys for 16 million thats not too bad. If one has to be traded I guess I would have to say AA, if both deals were about equal. It's going to get interesting around here.

I prefer our team to be contending but have to admit I am enjoying this re-build so far.
Nyce_1
RealGM

Post#1371 » by Nyce_1 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:03 pm

Glad I'm not the GM. tough decisions.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#1372 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:12 pm

Lets say that a team gets an All-star caliber SG or just below. They pay them $10 to 12 mil per. You get a quality backup about $2-5 mil. It is close enough that you may as well pay two very Good SG's $8 mil each and be able to change lineups depending on the matchup and get a full 48 mpg production out of that position. Besides, both can play multiple positions.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Post#1373 » by Cigamodnalro » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:34 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:Lets say that a team gets an All-star caliber SG or just below. They pay them $10 to 12 mil per. You get a quality backup about $2-5 mil. It is close enough that you may as well pay two very Good SG's $8 mil each and be able to change lineups depending on the matchup and get a full 48 mpg production out of that position. Besides, both can play multiple positions.

Very true. Even after the Celts pay Avery Bradley his 8-12m contract, they'll still be paying Lee 5m and possibly Terry his 5m. It is a lot for one position, but depending on where we are or where we think we'll be in three years, might possibly be worth it. I'd veer on the side of caution and flexibility, but Hennigan does have options here.
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
RYgoBOOM
Bench Warmer
And1: 292

Post#1374 » by RYgoBOOM » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:37 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:Lets say that a team gets an All-star caliber SG or just below. They pay them $10 to 12 mil per. You get a quality backup about $2-5 mil. It is close enough that you may as well pay two very Good SG's $8 mil each and be able to change lineups depending on the matchup and get a full 48 mpg production out of that position. Besides, both can play multiple positions.

The only BUT I see coming out of this whole idea is that no high profile free agent will be attracted by coming to team with JJ, or AA.....

If I'm a big F/A looking for a place to call home, I am enticed a lot more by a All star than I am by the SG position being so deep?

See what your saying completely, I just don't think we will lure any big name players if we have a bunch of guys that would only start on half the teams in the L
www.TheAutoSkin.com

Orlando's Elite Peelable Paint 1 stop shop!
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#1375 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:46 pm

RYgoBOOM wrote:

The only BUT I see coming out of this whole idea is that no high profile free agent will be attracted by coming to team with JJ, or AA.....

If I'm a big F/A looking for a place to call home, I am enticed a lot more by a All star than I am by the SG position being so deep?

See what your saying completely, I just don't think we will lure any big name players if we have a bunch of guys that would only start on half the teams in the L

Dude, SG is not the only position on a team. There are other positions, coaches, location, ownership that factor in a FA's decision on where to play. If people think a fancy named SG is the only way to get a superstar to play here, then Henny would not have a job. It is about TEAM, not shooting for gold with every player. And, teams develop talent to build chemistry and don't take as many chances as people make it seem like. A contract is a commitment and players are not moved as often as people like to think.

And, just about every team in the league has players in the Starting Lineup that wouldn't start on half the teams in the league. It is about impossible to create an All-Star starting lineup.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,231

Post#1376 » by Blue_and_Whte » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:58 pm

BrettC03 wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:Yeah I decided to not be lazy and revisited the details of the trade. Thanks. On a side note, someone mentioned NerlenNoel....I don't know about that guy his scouting report reads eerily like dwight's. Needs to develop a mid range game, needs to polish his post game and add a go to move.

Just seems like a skinnier version of Howard.

If he developed a mid-range shot he'd be Ibaka 2.0
That'd be a great pairing with Vucevic if Vuc can develop some post moves.

While this may be true, I don't think the target should be another player that can't score or hit ft's we've seen how that works. I'd rather they draft a skilled wing player since that's what the league is geared towards now. An actual go to player we can depend on to close games.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
ZeusIsLoose
Senior

Post#1377 » by ZeusIsLoose » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:08 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
BrettC03 wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:Yeah I decided to not be lazy and revisited the details of the trade. Thanks. On a side note, someone mentioned NerlenNoel....I don't know about that guy his scouting report reads eerily like dwight's. Needs to develop a mid range game, needs to polish his post game and add a go to move.

Just seems like a skinnier version of Howard.

If he developed a mid-range shot he'd be Ibaka 2.0
That'd be a great pairing with Vucevic if Vuc can develop some post moves.

While this may be true, I don't think the target should be another player that can't score or hit ft's we've seen how that works. I'd rather they draft a skilled wing player since that's what the league is geared towards now. An actual go to player we can depend on to close games.

We need a skilled wing player. The 3 is our weakest spot. Andrew have time to develop offensive games. I see Vuc going 15 and 12 next year. Although right now, since Big Baby has returned, Vuc hasnt been as effective on offense. Thats probably because Baby is shooting 15 times a half.
RYgoBOOM
Bench Warmer
And1: 292

Post#1378 » by RYgoBOOM » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:15 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
RYgoBOOM wrote:

Dude, SG is not the only position on a team. There are other positions, coaches, location, ownership that factor in a FA's decision on where to play. If people think a fancy named SG is the only way to get a superstar to play here, then Henny would not have a job. It is about TEAM, not shooting for gold with every player. And, teams develop talent to build chemistry and don't take as many chances as people make it seem like. A contract is a commitment and players are not moved as often as people like to think.

And, just about every team in the league has players in the Starting Lineup that wouldn't start on half the teams in the league. It is about impossible to create an All-Star starting lineup.

I'm fully aware of all the other needs of the team I was just saying that as a fan I'd rather have a very good SG and then a JR Smith/Kyle Korver/Ellington type guy.

I don't think AA and JJ can coexist as good as most here do....So IMO trying to go after a higher tier SG and a quality affordable backup will be a better situation. I'd love keeping JJ for 8 mil though I just don't think we should pay 2 people 8 mil and then be mediocre. Also, I understand the lack of quality F/As, I am just saying in my opinion this seems like a solid goal
www.TheAutoSkin.com

Orlando's Elite Peelable Paint 1 stop shop!
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,231

Post#1379 » by Blue_and_Whte » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:19 pm

I like both jj and aa but I wouldn't be surprised if they were trying to move aa rather than jj though. I think hennigan would catch much slack from an already scored fan base if he traded jj.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#1380 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:42 pm

RYgoBOOM wrote:I'm fully aware of all the other needs of the team I was just saying that as a fan I'd rather have a very good SG and then a JR Smith/Kyle Korver/Ellington type guy.

I don't think AA and JJ can coexist as good as most here do....So IMO trying to go after a higher tier SG and a quality affordable backup will be a better situation. I'd love keeping JJ for 8 mil though I just don't think we should pay 2 people 8 mil and then be mediocre. Also, I understand the lack of quality F/As, I am just saying in my opinion this seems like a solid goal

Well, SG does not make or break a team. Explain to me an "Available Higher Tier SG" that will be available that would provide a better nucleus than JJ and Afflalo? Then, why should the goal be obtaining an elite SG when Afflalo And JJ could be hold down the position admirably playing with an Elite SF or PF?

FYI. Magic went to the finals with CLee as their SG. Who did Dallas have as their shooting guard on their finals trips? People seem to presume that elite players are available everywhere.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!

Return to Orlando Magic