ImageImageImageImage

Official Speculation Thread (Pt. XLIX"Reg. Season"Ed.)

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

RYgoBOOM
Bench Warmer
And1: 292

Re: Official Speculation Thread (Pt. XLIX"Reg. Season"Ed.) 

Post#881 » by RYgoBOOM » Wed Jan 9, 2013 9:44 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:Skiles is a good coach and he couldn't help Jennings.

Jennings is a Shoot First Chucker.

He is really a SG in a PG's body.

I just know it for a fact that people want him and once he is here, everyone will be pissed off watching him chuck up 17 shots per game hitting about 40% and being unable to trade his albatross $10mil per contract he wants. Because, this kid has a massive ego to boot.

Stay very very very far away. I would only take on Jennings if he would sign for $7 mil or less per year.

Just sucks because I agree with most of your posts lol.

What constitutes Scott Skiles being a good coach? ;)

But on a more obvious note....Scott Skiles is the exact opposite of Brandon Jennings lol. It's no wonder a scoring PG didn't work out under a pass only PG lol

I still can't fathom why you think Jennings at 23 at 10 million is worse off than Jameer at 31 on 7-8 million....

Jennings would be the perfect compliment IMO

Imagine in 2-3 years

Jennings
-Hopefully bring in a scoring SG
Harkless
Nich
Vucci

Brandon would still only be 25 and I'd imagine he'd be getting into the prime of his career. Harkless would be a developed wing

Core is young and we wouldn't have to gamble on a Carter-Williams type player or end up with a Kendal Marshall.
www.TheAutoSkin.com

Orlando's Elite Peelable Paint 1 stop shop!
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,599

Post#882 » by RookieStar » Wed Jan 9, 2013 10:31 pm

We need BJ if we have no scorer on the team. Howeverm as I see AN shooting lights out, in a few years he could be that go-to-guy. So no need for BJ esp if we have AA and/or JJ on the team still
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#883 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Jan 9, 2013 10:40 pm

RookieStar wrote:We need BJ if we have no scorer on the team. Howeverm as I see AN shooting lights out, in a few years he could be that go-to-guy. So no need for BJ esp if we have AA and/or JJ on the team still

Jennings blows. He will always be a chucker shooting 17 shots per game hitting 40% or less. He has a massive ego to boot. If ya'll complain about BBD, wait til you get a load of that Jennings kid. I predict if the Magic get Jennings, they will be stuck in Purgatory for a very long time. I just don't get all these delusions of grandeur people on RealGM when overrating players. At least until they get those players and find out for real how inflated they are. I would be all for Jennings on a $7 mil or less contract since he will waste cap space in no time.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Rick Rolled
General Manager
And1: 3,705

Post#884 » by Rick Rolled » Wed Jan 9, 2013 10:43 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
RookieStar wrote:We need BJ if we have no scorer on the team. Howeverm as I see AN shooting lights out, in a few years he could be that go-to-guy. So no need for BJ esp if we have AA and/or JJ on the team still

Jennings blows. He will always be a chucker shooting 17 shots per game hitting 40% or less. He has a massive ego to boot. If ya'll complain about BBD, wait til you get a load of that Jennings kid. I predict if the Magic get Jennings, they will be stuck in Purgatory for a very long time. I just don't get all these delusions of grandeur people on RealGM when overrating players. At least until they get those players and find out for real how inflated they are. I would be all for Jennings on a $7 mil or less contract since he will waste cap space in no time.

DeAndre Liggins?

:D

BadMofoPimp wrote:BadMofoPimp will say it here: Liggins will be better than JJ, Afflalo and CLee in the end. Just give him a few years. Dude is going to be good.

BadMofoPimp wrote:
I never said superstar as I said Liggins "will end up" better than CLee or JJ down the road. Mark my words. And, Henny just gave him away for free to his former team, that seems odd. First, Dwight for practically free and now Liggins. Who's next. Henny is a joke so far.
3Pac wrote:sorry for bad english am from pennsylvania
Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Post#885 » by Cigamodnalro » Wed Jan 9, 2013 10:43 pm

Ball dominant, offensively oriented pointguards do not win championships. It is too easy for defenses to zero in on a player if he is simultaneously the team's ballhandler and its most important offensive player. It makes an offense predictable.

Jennings is a good player, but I'd much rather find a great distributor to play PG for us and to find most of our offense elsewhere. I agree that Andrew Nicholson forecasts to have a great offensive game; I really do see a lot of David West in him. I don't think Jennings is right for this team, but I also agree with you that we need to add more in the way of offense. I'd love for us to pull in a highly talented offensive SG (I'm no scout, but if Hennigan saw something in someone like Archie Goodwin I'd support it) somewhere along the way.
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,074

Post#886 » by tiderulz » Wed Jan 9, 2013 10:53 pm

Cigamodnalro wrote:

Ball dominant, offensively oriented pointguards do not win championships. It is too easy for defenses to zero in on a player if he is simultaneously the team's ballhandler and its most important offensive player. It makes an offense predictable.

Jennings is a good player, but I'd much rather find a great distributor to play PG for us and to find most of our offense elsewhere. I agree that Andrew Nicholson forecasts to have a great offensive game; I really do see a lot of David West in him. I don't think Jennings is right for this team, but I also agree with you that we need to add more in the way of offense. I'd love for us to pull in a highly talented offensive SG (I'm no scout, but if Hennigan saw something in someone like Archie Goodwin I'd support it) somewhere along the way.

I remember Isiah Thomas being a ball dominant offensively oriented PG. Tony Parker was a 6 apg PG when SA was winning their championships. Kobe was the primary ball handler and scorer for the Lakers last few championship runs. Chauncey was the primary ball handler and scorer for the Pistons.
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#887 » by mhectorgato » Wed Jan 9, 2013 10:56 pm

Rick Rolled wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:

DeAndre Liggins?

NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#888 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Jan 9, 2013 11:02 pm

Rick Rolled wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:

DeAndre Liggins?

BadMofoPimp wrote:BadMofoPimp will say it here: Liggins will be better than JJ, Afflalo and CLee in the end. Just give him a few years. Dude is going to be good.

BadMofoPimp wrote:
I never said superstar as I said Liggins "will end up" better than CLee or JJ down the road. Mark my words. And, Henny just gave him away for free to his former team, that seems odd. First, Dwight for practically free and now Liggins. Who's next. Henny is a joke so far.

I stand by my words. Liggins will prove everyone wrong in the end. Dude has mad skills. He is better than Harkless, that is for sure.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,200

Post#889 » by thelead » Wed Jan 9, 2013 11:03 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Cigamodnalro wrote:

I remember Isiah Thomas being a ball dominant offensively oriented PG. Tony Parker was a 6 apg PG when SA was winning their championships. Kobe was the primary ball handler and scorer for the Lakers last few championship runs. Chauncey was the primary ball handler and scorer for the Pistons.

Those players were/are MUCH better scorers. Your post is still accurate though. For the record, I do not want Jennings and his career 40% fg%.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#890 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Jan 9, 2013 11:10 pm

They explain it very simply right here:

Brandon Jennings has an exaggerated opinion of his own value. In truth he shoots too much and too inaccurately, and plays only for steals on the defensive end.

http://hoopshype.com/columns/rosen/the-nbas-most-overrated-players

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Cigamodnalro
RealGM

Post#891 » by Cigamodnalro » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:04 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:They explain it very simply right here:

Brandon Jennings has an exaggerated opinion of his own value. In truth he shoots too much and too inaccurately, and plays only for steals on the defensive end.

It pains me to endose an article written by Charley Rosen (easily the biggest Magic hater in the national media, ever), but he is right about Jennings. The guy thinks he's a lot better than he actually is.
thelead
RealGM

Post#892 » by thelead » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:17 am

Cigamodnalro wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:They explain it very simply right here:

It pains me to endose an article written by Charley Rosen (easily the biggest Magic hater in the national media, ever), but he is right about Jennings. The guy thinks he's a lot better than he actually is.

Rosen has to be the WORST sports "journalist" I've ever come across. Beyond awful.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,269

Post#893 » by Bensational » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:46 am

RickB-Orlando wrote:
Zmill wrote:I would prefer Rudy Gay to Jennings. Similar contracts (give or take 3-4 mill per) but Gay has some of the highest upside in the league and already plays at an all-star level.

I also prefer having a all-star wing that can create his own shot versus a ball-dominant PGs. In my opinion contending teams are better off with "game managers" at the point guard position.

Is anyone going to tell me that this isn't a tough, gritty team that you wouldn't want to face in the first round::

Jameer
JJ/Afflalo (whichever one doesn't get traded)
Gay
BBD
Vuc

Yep. He's going to be overpaid for the next few years, but he's much better than anything else out there that's available.

I've been getting frustrated with the amount of people who have been looking at Gay's stats this year and going "he's inefficient"... "only shoots 40%.." etc, etc. His career numbers have been significantly higher, and what's more, he performed well in the 37 games he played as the go to player for Memphis last year when ZBo was out.

W - L = 23 - 14 (60%)

20 PPG
17 FGAs
45% FG%
2.38 3FGAs
36% 3FG%
4 FTAs per game
77% FT%
52% TS%
48% eFG%

6.68 RPG
2.5 APG
1.7 SPG
0.8 BPG
2.62 TOV

25.4% USG%

Those aren't superstar numbers, but they aren't that bad. Compare them to Harden's numbers this year:

26.6 PPG
17.4 FGAs
45% FG%
5.2 3FGAs
35% 3FG%
10.2 FTAs
86% FT%
61% TS%
51% eFG%

4.2 RPG
5.4 APG
1.9 SPG
0.5 BPG
3.5 TOV

29% USG%

Now, Harden is a far better player, I'm not trying to argue that they are on the same page. But, the biggest difference there is the amount of times Harden gets to the line (which I think Gay could learn to bring to his game). If Gay got 6 more FTAs per game, at the same FT%, then that's an extra 4.5ppg right there, and suddenly the margin between the two doesn't look so astronomical on paper.

Gay is good at creating his own offense, and last season he was a top 5 SF in terms of scoring in the paint on unassisted baskets. Give him a couple more seasons of that and he'll learn to start drawing fouls, and he'll really take his game to the next level, IMO. Gay has also been a top performer in clutch baskets in recent seasons. The kid has so much potential, I think it's worth paying the $17M to try and get it out of him.

But, as I've said before, he would severely hamper our ability to add key FAs in 2014 if he were to opt into his mammoth $20M deal. Not sure how you'd work around that.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#894 » by BadMofoPimp » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:52 am

This guy has a good assessment of Jennings to me.

Three reasons I don't want Brandon Jennings.

Yes, he often scores a lot of points, but that is because he shoots very often with poor shot selection. His shooting percentage is currently 40% which is low considering the Bucks need him to be a too scorer for the team.

In the past few months, Jennings has been caught on camera doing things that he shouldn’t. His high spending and cocky attitude don’t really represent well either. If you have spare time, check out Jennings’ Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram and you will shake your head and laugh on how lavish he thinks he is. Jennings doesn’t fit we’ll with the community helpers

It is clear that Jennings wants to get the highest paycheck possible. That probably won’t happen in Milwaukee. Jennings knows that the team is looking to trade him, and he is ok with that. He wants to play in the big citie

1) Chucker, not a creator
2) Bad attitude and image. Wants the bright lights.
3) Wants a bad contract.

He is not that good, is the type of player you don't want on your team due to attitude, and will cost too much money and probably won't live up to expectations (low shooting percentage chucker.)

I say pass with a very wide birth. Very wide!

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
AddiFB
Veteran
And1: 2,459

Post#895 » by AddiFB » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:54 am

I'd be seriously depressed if Jennings ended up on the Magic...
- Orlando Magic fan since 1991 -
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#896 » by BadMofoPimp » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:08 am

BRANDON JENNINGS ‏@justryod3 Kobe said it best shooters came shooting.

22 Dec BRANDON JENNINGS BRANDON JENNINGS ‏@justryod3 Kobe took 41 shots tonight... My type of guy go get it!!!! Idc!!!

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
thelead
RealGM

Post#897 » by thelead » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:11 am

Bensational wrote:I've been getting frustrated with the amount of people who have been looking at Gay's stats this year and going "he's inefficient"... "only shoots 40%.." etc, etc. His career numbers have been significantly higher, and what's more, he performed well in the 37 games he played as the go to player for Memphis last year when ZBo was out.

W - L = 23 - 14 (60%)

20 PPG
17 FGAs
45% FG%
2.38 3FGAs
36% 3FG%
4 FTAs per game
77% FT%
52% TS%
48% eFG%

6.68 RPG
2.5 APG
1.7 SPG
0.8 BPG
2.62 TOV

25.4% USG%

Those aren't superstar numbers, but they aren't that bad. Compare them to Harden's numbers this year:

26.6 PPG
17.4 FGAs
45% FG%
5.2 3FGAs
35% 3FG%
10.2 FTAs
86% FT%
61% TS%
51% eFG%

4.2 RPG
5.4 APG
1.9 SPG
0.5 BPG
3.5 TOV

29% USG%

Now, Harden is a far better player, I'm not trying to argue that they are on the same page. But, the biggest difference there is the amount of times Harden gets to the line (which I think Gay could learn to bring to his game). If Gay got 6 more FTAs per game, at the same FT%, then that's an extra 4.5ppg right there, and suddenly the margin between the two doesn't look so astronomical on paper.

Gay is good at creating his own offense, and last season he was a top 5 SF in terms of scoring in the paint on unassisted baskets. Give him a couple more seasons of that and he'll learn to start drawing fouls, and he'll really take his game to the next level, IMO. Gay has also been a top performer in clutch baskets in recent seasons. The kid has so much potential, I think it's worth paying the $17M to try and get it out of him.

But, as I've said before, he would severely hamper our ability to add key FAs in 2014 if he were to opt into his mammoth $20M deal. Not sure how you'd work around that.

I'm not a Rudy Gay hater. If we still had Dwight I would be ALL IN for him. We just are too far away from where we need to be to trade for that Monster contract (for his production). Rudy Gay isn't going to get us into contention but he sure as hell would take away the financial flexibility to obtain other players to get us there; all while keeping us from an opportunity to draft a star.

Now, if you tell me we could trade some of our bad contracts for him (like Hedo and/or Harrington) then I'm probably game even though we still would be adding contact years. Good luck getting Memphis to take that type of offer seriously though.
AhaAha
Junior
And1: 15

Post#898 » by AhaAha » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:14 am

Pls whoever wants Jennings on this team watch him closely for a couple of games ...

I am all for upgrading the PG spot with young talent but not only will Jennings get paid soon but he's also terrible.
He's like Jamal Crawford with even worse defense. He has days where he makes every terrible shot he takes and noone can defend him. But don't be fooled by a few games.

He might be one of the worst pick and role defenders in the league.
On offense he's purely a jumpshooter. He can only go by his left and he is a terrible finisher at the rim.

Pls no BJ.
Cigamodnalro
RealGM

Post#899 » by Cigamodnalro » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:31 am

Grievis Vazquez looking great right now. 6 pts and 5 assists in the quarter.
Rick Rolled
General Manager
And1: 3,705

Post#900 » by Rick Rolled » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:38 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:
I stand by my words. Liggins will prove everyone wrong in the end. Dude has mad skills. He is better than Harkless, that is for sure.

He'll be 25 in March.

At what age will he blossom/crack an NBA rotation/not play 90% of the season in the D-League?
3Pac wrote:sorry for bad english am from pennsylvania

Return to Orlando Magic