ImageImageImageImage

OT: Howard would have been better off staying in Orlando.

Moderators: Hilltop, eyriq, MagicMadness, Devin 1L, damo[23], Howard Mass

User avatar
magic04life
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,876
And1: 5
Joined: Feb 14, 2011

Re: OT: Howard would have been better off staying in Orlando 

Post#16 » by magic04life » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:31 am

The Lakers just lost to the Cavs, and are now 9-13. They are now the same number of games below .500 as we are (8-12).

I'm starting to think that Dwight will leave LA for Brooklyn next summer if this continues....and I think LA would gladly do a Howard for Lopez sign-and-trade.

Shaq might be right. He said Bynum (when healthy) and Lope are both better centers than Dwight. He said Dwight is the best low-post player in the NBA, but he said that Lopez and Bynum (when healthy) are both better OVERALL centers.
I like this team
CraZyPraiZ
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,308
And1: 253
Joined: Nov 28, 2007
         

Re: OT: Howard would have been better off staying in Orlando 

Post#17 » by CraZyPraiZ » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:35 am

I hate to say this but Brooks Lopez is far superior to Dwight on offense. Dwight's calling is defense and athleticism. Somewhere someone told him he needed to be an offensive player and they just lied to him. He is nothing on offense if he can't dunk. Enough said. Go Magic!!!
Orium
Analyst
Posts: 3,693
And1: 209
Joined: Oct 08, 2003

Re: OT: Howard would have been better off staying in Orlando 

Post#18 » by Orium » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:45 am

PeePee la Fritz wrote:
Orium wrote:Whenever ESPN talks about the Lakers woes (a big subject today), they always mention Howard in passing after Kobe/Nash/Gasol and even Artest. Even then, the only thing they mention is about his poor FT shooting. :lol:

He's become somewhat of an afterthought in LA.



He is not an afterthought. Everyone in LA realizes he is an unrestricted FA in the summer, and could very well bolt. So he is being protected in a sense and everyone is scared to come down too hard on him until he commits. So anyone who says he is being blasted, hated on, etc is flat out wrong. I live in LA and I promise you they are taking it easy on him because of his FA status


Unless you're implying that ESPN, a national media outlet, is somehow protecting Dwight's ego to do LA a favor then I don't really see your point. It wasn't about any Dwight bashing, merely that he's not really performing to the level he's led everyone to believe he's capable. ESPN isn't mentioning him because there's not much to really mention. Dwight is LA's new garbage-point big man, certainly a far cry from Shaq 2.0.
User avatar
Hotshot Hower
Veteran
Posts: 2,573
And1: 71
Joined: Jun 24, 2005
Location: Melbourne, FL
Contact:
   

Re: OT: Howard would have been better off staying in Orlando 

Post#19 » by Hotshot Hower » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:48 am

VGOSWAMI wrote:He hasn't lost his athleticism. He lost Stan.


+1,000,000
Image
A-League

PG - C. Paul, R. Rubio, K. Marshall, N. Cole
SG - G. Dragic, J. Butler, B. McLemore
SF - L. Stephenson, W. Johnson
PF - P. Pierce, D. Carroll, A. Gordon
C - N. Noel, R. Hibbert, S. Dalembert
User avatar
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
Posts: 24,138
And1: 2,205
Joined: Sep 16, 2003
Location: Orlando, FL- home of the Magic and OC Lions!
   

Re: OT: Howard would have been better off staying in Orlando 

Post#20 » by Optimus_Steel » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:03 am

I am enjoying seeing Dwight and Duhon fail. Dwight is still getting his stats but they are now hollow and empty points. The best thing that happend to him was Stan being on his ass now he doesnt have anyone like that keeping him in check. He looks depressed.and its infecting their whole team.
aka: prorl
Image
User avatar
OrlandO
RealGM
Posts: 10,253
And1: 3,772
Joined: May 27, 2009

Re: OT: Howard would have been better off staying in Orlando 

Post#21 » by OrlandO » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:13 am

magic04life wrote:I'm starting to think that Dwight will leave LA for Brooklyn next summer if this continues....and I think LA would gladly do a Howard for Lopez sign-and-trade.

That would make me sick. Bullies his way out of Orlando to his 2nd destination of choice and then somehow ends up at his top choice... Not to mention he and the Nets would be waiting for us if we ever made it back to the playoffs. If he leaves, I hope it's to another western conf team like Dallas

Shaq might be right. He said Bynum (when healthy) and Lope are both better centers than Dwight. He said Dwight is the best low-post player in the NBA, but he said that Lopez and Bynum (when healthy) are both better OVERALL centers.

I think it was the other way around... Shaq said Bynum/Lopez are the better offensive players because they actually have a consistent post game. No way he'd call them better overall centers because they can't score 20 and play defense like Dwight.
Image
User avatar
SS_MagicMark
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 4,730
And1: 8
Joined: Jul 08, 2004
Location: Orlando
     

Re: OT: Howard would have been better off staying in Orlando 

Post#22 » by SS_MagicMark » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:13 am

We may end up with a lottery pick from the Dwight trade, after all.
User avatar
thelead
RealGM
Posts: 15,206
And1: 3,822
Joined: Apr 08, 2008
 

Re: OT: Howard would have been better off staying in Orlando 

Post#23 » by thelead » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:32 am

SS_MagicMark wrote:We may end up with a lottery pick from the Dwight trade, after all.


we don't get LA's pick this year (IIRC)
Image

eyriq wrote:
I don't get the attachment to Harris. What about his game indicates he is anything more than just 'a guy'? The evidence for him being more than that just isn't there.
:nonono:
User avatar
NickAndersonsBack25
Pro Prospect
Posts: 934
And1: 3
Joined: Feb 28, 2006

Re: OT: Howard would have been better off staying in Orlando 

Post#24 » by NickAndersonsBack25 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:35 am

SS_MagicMark wrote:We may end up with a lottery pick from the Dwight trade, after all.


If this was facebook, I'd like the S#*@ out of this post.
Bobby Knight says:
"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."
"You don't play against opponents, you play against the game of basketball. "
User avatar
OrlDave
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,152
And1: 1,104
Joined: May 05, 2003
       

Re: OT: Howard would have been better off staying in Orlando 

Post#25 » by OrlDave » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:31 am

I'd like a double check on the LA draft pick thing. I thought it was next years not this years.
J the Drafter
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,607
And1: 28
Joined: Sep 17, 2009

Re: AW: OT: Howard would have been better off staying in Orl 

Post#26 » by J the Drafter » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:35 am

AhaAha wrote:Is it possible that dwight lost a bit of his athleticism? I mean even pre injury his play was not the same and some of us thought he just wasn't into the magic. I remember how he couldnt catch some lobs and this season his blocks aren't impressive and he isn't anchoring the defense at all.

I noticed the same thing. He didn't look able to jump as high in 2011 or 2012 as he did in earlier years. From what I've seen of his Lakers' games, Howard definitely hasn't been as athleletic as he used to be. Some Lakers fans have said the same thing, too. Maybe his speed and jumping will fully recover as his back gets better, but Dwight is still suffering the aftereffects of his injury and surgery.
Important info on Jameis Winston rape charges:
Why I Believe Jamies Winston's Accuser
http://jezebel.com/jameis-winstons-accuser-will-absolutely-sue-fsu-qb-a-1497830405
http://jezebel.com/what-you-need-to-know-about-jameis-winstons-accuser-1482405244
User avatar
Nemesis21
RealGM
Posts: 27,070
And1: 630
Joined: Feb 11, 2006
Location: Earnhardt Nation
       

Re: OT: Howard would have been better off staying in Orlando 

Post#27 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:07 am

OrlDave wrote:I'd like a double check on the LA draft pick thing. I thought it was next years not this years.
Image
User avatar
doct3r dr3
RealGM
Posts: 11,744
And1: 1,208
Joined: Oct 21, 2004
Location: Nicholsonshine State
 

Re: OT: Howard would have been better off staying in Orlando 

Post#28 » by doct3r dr3 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:31 am

Nemesis21 wrote:
OrlDave wrote:I'd like a double check on the LA draft pick thing. I thought it was next years not this years.



..



2015 second round draft pick from L.A. Lakers
The L.A. Lakers' own 2015 2nd round draft pick to Orlando (Top-40 Protected). If The L.A. Lakers' own 2015 2nd round pick is within the top-40 selections, then The L.A. Lakers' obligation to Orlando shall be extinguished. [Denver - L.A. Lakers - Orlando - Philadelphia, 8/10/2012]

2017 first round draft pick from L.A. Lakers
The L.A. Lakers' own 2017 1st round draft pick to Orlando (Top-5 Protected). If The L.A. Lakers' own 2017 1st round pick is within the top-5 selections, then the L.A. Lakers will convey their own second round picks in 2017 and 2018 to Orlando. [L.A. Lakers - Orlando, 8/10/2012]


http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/ ... s/detailed
Image
BadMofoPimp wrote:Reached for a 2nd round talent in Nicholson.
User avatar
Def Swami
RealGM
Posts: 16,165
And1: 3,431
Joined: Aug 04, 2008
Location: Orlandipo
     

Re: OT: Howard would have been better off staying in Orlando 

Post#29 » by Def Swami » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:34 am

OrlDave wrote:I'd like a double check on the LA draft pick thing. I thought it was next years not this years.

Phoenix has the LA pick for this year, unprotected, I think.
Image
User avatar
fendilim
RealGM
Posts: 21,554
And1: 204
Joined: Jun 11, 2002
Location: 孫悟空, 时间太?!

Re: OT: Howard would have been better off staying in Orlando 

Post#30 » by fendilim » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:01 am

One name: Stan Van Gundy
Image
User avatar
Javanar
Pro Prospect
Posts: 751
And1: 55
Joined: Feb 12, 2011
Location: Türkiye

Re: OT: Howard would have been better off staying in Orlando 

Post#31 » by Javanar » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:30 am

OrlandO wrote:
magic04life wrote:I'm starting to think that Dwight will leave LA for Brooklyn next summer if this continues....and I think LA would gladly do a Howard for Lopez sign-and-trade.

That would make me sick. Bullies his way out of Orlando to his 2nd destination of choice and then somehow ends up at his top choice... Not to mention he and the Nets would be waiting for us if we ever made it back to the playoffs. If he leaves, I hope it's to another western conf team like Dallas

Shaq might be right. He said Bynum (when healthy) and Lope are both better centers than Dwight. He said Dwight is the best low-post player in the NBA, but he said that Lopez and Bynum (when healthy) are both better OVERALL centers.

I think it was the other way around... Shaq said Bynum/Lopez are the better offensive players because they actually have a consistent post game. No way he'd call them better overall centers because they can't score 20 and play defense like Dwight.


Not sure that will be easy for Brooklyn to get Howard. They're already paying 89 M for salaries, and there are 4 loaded long-term contracts.
I am not a native English speaker...
User avatar
IGotDaMagicInMe
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,805
And1: 137
Joined: Jun 24, 2011
     

Re: OT: Howard would have been better off staying in Orlando 

Post#32 » by IGotDaMagicInMe » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:08 pm

Maybe if he's lucky we will take him back for minimum ;)
Image
AhaAha
Junior
Posts: 409
And1: 15
Joined: Dec 11, 2010

Re: AW: OT: Howard would have been better off staying in Orl 

Post#33 » by AhaAha » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:52 pm

Hell no...i don't want him to take away shots from big baby.
User avatar
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
Posts: 24,138
And1: 2,205
Joined: Sep 16, 2003
Location: Orlando, FL- home of the Magic and OC Lions!
   

Re: OT: Howard would have been better off staying in Orlando 

Post#34 » by Optimus_Steel » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:49 pm

J the Drafter wrote:
AhaAha wrote:Is it possible that dwight lost a bit of his athleticism? I mean even pre injury his play was not the same and some of us thought he just wasn't into the magic. I remember how he couldnt catch some lobs and this season his blocks aren't impressive and he isn't anchoring the defense at all.

I noticed the same thing. He didn't look able to jump as high in 2011 or 2012 as he did in earlier years. From what I've seen of his Lakers' games, Howard definitely hasn't been as athleletic as he used to be. Some Lakers fans have said the same thing, too. Maybe his speed and jumping will fully recover as his back gets better, but Dwight is still suffering the aftereffects of his injury and surgery.


Last year his jumping ability was slightly less, albeit very slightly, than in years past. This year he looks old man stiff when he is running back to the other side of the court or when he tries to move laterally when defending his man. He just doesn't look that flexible right now. It may be temporary until that back heals, but if its not then his days as one of the top 5 players in the league and as a top defender are done forever.

Right now he is still getting his stats but they are hollow numbers. He had 20 rebs yesterday but his impact in the game was minimal at best. I don't think its just the injury either, but he just doesn't have the fire he used to have when defending. There was one play that his man Verajao got open for a 15 ft jumper and Dwight just stood there and pointed to Kobe to go defend the shot. Problem is that Kobe was standing right next to Dwight. Then there was the highlight play when Verajao faked the jump shot from the baseline, Dwight dumbly went for the block and he blew by him like his feet where glued and threw down a nasty dunk. 2-3 years ago there was no way that Verajao would punk him like that, he would at least have recovered to challenge the drive. In crunch time Dwight had no impact at all defending the Cavs, its like he wasn't there. Dwight can continue to blame his teammates all he wants about defense but it all starts with him.
aka: prorl
Image
User avatar
OrlDave
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,152
And1: 1,104
Joined: May 05, 2003
       

Re: OT: Howard would have been better off staying in Orlando 

Post#35 » by OrlDave » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:30 pm

doct3r dr3 wrote:2015 second round draft pick from L.A. Lakers
The L.A. Lakers' own 2015 2nd round draft pick to Orlando (Top-40 Protected). If The L.A. Lakers' own 2015 2nd round pick is within the top-40 selections, then The L.A. Lakers' obligation to Orlando shall be extinguished. [Denver - L.A. Lakers - Orlando - Philadelphia, 8/10/2012]

2017 first round draft pick from L.A. Lakers
The L.A. Lakers' own 2017 1st round draft pick to Orlando (Top-5 Protected). If The L.A. Lakers' own 2017 1st round pick is within the top-5 selections, then the L.A. Lakers will convey their own second round picks in 2017 and 2018 to Orlando. [L.A. Lakers - Orlando, 8/10/2012]


http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/ ... s/detailed


Thanks, so 2017. Well.... if all falls apart it might be a good pick.

Return to Orlando Magic