yardbarker

NCAA Wiretap Headlines

OT: Howard would have been better off staying in Orlando.

Moderators: damo[23], Devin 1L, Hilltop, Howard Mass, MagicMadness, eyriq

Post#46 Re: OT: Howard would have been better off sta
Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:42 pm by Idunkonyou2

Hilltop wrote:Threads like these are premature. We've had many of these about the Heat and we all know how that turned out. The Lakers have the talent and the firepower to win a championship. They just need Nash back, a new coach, and a little more time to find their chemistry.


That is why I said I know it is early, but.

Also the Heat were a different beast. They weren't old, slow and sucked on defense. The Lakers have major issues from the coaching style, to age, to injuries and the list goes on and on. Not to mention they are in a tough west conference that I'm sure is all smiles right now watching this ship take on water with every passing loss that comes their way.
Idunkonyou2
Lead Assistant
User avatar
Posts: 5,645
And1: 57
Joined: Apr 19, 2003
Top

Post#47 Re: OT: Howard would have been better off sta
Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:42 pm by arsenal6106

Hilltop wrote:Threads like these are premature. We've had many of these about the Heat and we all know how that turned out. The Lakers have the talent and the firepower to win a championship. They just need Nash back, a new coach, and a little more time to find their chemistry.



They're not getting a new coach. Unless they want to have 3 different coaches on their payroll.
arsenal6106




Assistant Coach
User avatar
Posts: 4,334
And1: 98
Joined: Nov 6, 2010
Location: Somewhere Drinking Good Beer.
Top

Post#48 Re: OT: Howard would have been better off sta
Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:26 pm by magic04life

Stan Van pushed Dwight. Even though they weren't friends off the court, he always got the most out of Dwight and the whole team.

Which is what a good coach does. Stan was a legend.
I like this team
magic04life
Sixth Man
User avatar
Posts: 1,876
And1: 5
Joined: Feb 13, 2011
Top

Post#49 Re: OT: Howard would have been better off sta
Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:40 pm by NickAnderson

tiderulz wrote:
Idunkonyou2 wrote:Looking back, we should have got rid of Howard and kept SVG. SVG was the best coach in Magic history period. Yes he mouthed some things to the media you probably shouldn't, but I don't care. What I do care about is a no nonsense coach who makes sure his guys are ready to play every night and gets on their butt when he sees them relaxing. That was SVG in a nutshell, with some great commentary to go with it. He was 100% real and it made me sick when the media blasted him for it.


my problems with SVG.

Why is it that with almost all other coaches in the league, it didnt take them over a year for players to learn defensive schemes. But for Stan, that always seemed to be the excuse.

And why could not Stan see that a 3pt outside in offense had issues come playoffs. I understand that you have to work with the players you have, but there could have been some adjustments.

Things might have been better with Stan had we had a competent GM, but that is all in the past now.


Bravo!

I've always asked these questions and more about stan and never get a straight answer. It was always Stan is the best coach in magic history..
Technooo....
NickAnderson



Lead Assistant
User avatar
Posts: 5,130
And1: 610
Joined: Jul 11, 2009
Location: Club Space
Top

Post#50 Re: OT: Howard would have been better off sta
Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:32 am by PickNRoll

tiderulz wrote:
Idunkonyou2 wrote:Looking back, we should have got rid of Howard and kept SVG. SVG was the best coach in Magic history period. Yes he mouthed some things to the media you probably shouldn't, but I don't care. What I do care about is a no nonsense coach who makes sure his guys are ready to play every night and gets on their butt when he sees them relaxing. That was SVG in a nutshell, with some great commentary to go with it. He was 100% real and it made me sick when the media blasted him for it.


my problems with SVG.

Why is it that with almost all other coaches in the league, it didnt take them over a year for players to learn defensive schemes. But for Stan, that always seemed to be the excuse.

And why could not Stan see that a 3pt outside in offense had issues come playoffs. I understand that you have to work with the players you have, but there could have been some adjustments.

Things might have been better with Stan had we had a competent GM, but that is all in the past now.


I also have to believe that Otis got Stan's input on the roster moves. I would be floored to hear that SVG didn't sign off on the moves made with his squad.

Loved SVG the person, but as a coach he frustrated the bejeez out of me. Lack of adjustments, rigid rotation, giving everyone a green light to shoot bad threes, leaving Howrd in when you know they're going to hack him... Frankly, it was an ugly style of BBall that is always going to lead to a decent reg season record and a trip to the playoffs that lasts as long as we can stay hot from downtown. It's the Gonzaga offense.
PickNRoll
Sophomore
User avatar
Posts: 230
And1: 2
Joined: May 27, 2003
Top

Post#51 Re: OT: Howard would have been better off sta
Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:33 am by CourtsideTV

The Los Angeles Lakers have struggled to begin the 12-13 NBA season, but Dwight Howard seems to already have decided which team he will sign with as a free agent this summer.

"I know," said Howard when asked if he knows which team he will play with next season.

Howard was also asked whether he and Kobe Bryant can coexist.

"Why can't we coexist?" Howard asked. "Because we're opposites? I thought opposites attract.

"You know why we can play well together? Kobe knows how hard I work and that I'm all about championships. We're also entertainers, and for the two hours and 20 minutes that people come to a game they want to be entertained."

LOLL so he's about entertainment and not SOLELY about championships..thats the mentality of a championship player right durr
Work Hard
CourtsideTV





RealGM
Posts: 20,431
And1: 198
Joined: Apr 11, 2004
Location: L-I-M-R
Top

Post#52 Re: OT: Howard would have been better off sta
Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:26 am by MagicFan32

he made his bed with jim buss, LOL now he has to live in it.
someone shoulda told dwight Jimmy hates Phil, that alone shows you he's clueless
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
MagicFan32
RealGM
Posts: 14,115
And1: 318
Joined: Jun 13, 2004
Top

Post#53 Re: OT: Howard would have been better off sta
Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:58 pm by Malik Starks

BadMofoPimp wrote:To give Stan credit, he took players like Vince, Shard and JRich, then made them change their roles to where they took much less shots to be team players and those players never complained about their reduced roles. Actually, players were actually fairly well behaved under Stan as he commanded respect. And, he led this team for many 50+ win seasons and at one point had like the 3rd best NBA record in a five year span. He accomplished all that with a team of Turk, Shard, various SG's and Meer. Really, just Shard and Meer reached all-star level one time during that span. Just a group of role players. And, reached the Finals of which everyone understands how freakin hard that is to accomplish and he did it with that team. Magic should just hang Stans ugly mug in the rafters. Heck, he still lives here in Lake Mary and is active in his community. I like Jacque Vaughn so far, but Stan is a legend.


I still hope for Stan to be brought back to coach the team one day, much like Brian Hill.
Malik Starks
Junior
Posts: 273
And1: 33
Joined: Apr 22, 2012
Location: Orlando FL
Top

Post#54 Re: OT: Howard would have been better off sta
Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:02 pm by BadMofoPimp

I would just like to shake Stans hand and tell him thanks for all he did for the Orlando Magic in person. Nice and simple, then be on my way. Maybe, I will run into him at Fishbones or something.
Image

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
User avatar
Posts: 33,527
And1: 3,640
Joined: Oct 12, 2003
Location: In the Paint
Top

Post#55 Re: OT: Howard would have been better off sta
Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:18 pm by juxsta

CourtsideTV wrote:The Los Angeles Lakers have struggled to begin the 12-13 NBA season, but Dwight Howard seems to already have decided which team he will sign with as a free agent this summer.

"I know," said Howard when asked if he knows which team he will play with next season.


LOLL so he's about entertainment and not SOLELY about championships..thats the mentality of a championship player right durr


Remember the last time he said "I KNOW"? So I can't ever take anything this dude says serious.
juxsta




Ballboy
User avatar
Posts: 30
And1: 1
Joined: Apr 24, 2011
Top

Post#56 Re: OT: Howard would have been better off sta
Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:50 pm by SnuggLes__

Stan Van Gundy always annoyed me with his rotations, stubbornness, and simple 3 point offense, but the man hung his hat on building teams solidly defensively. His strengths always outweighed his weaknesses.

And to coach your team to 4 straight years of 50+ wins 2 conference championships & a finals appearance is more than just average..

But in the end, all that matters are Championships, & he got us about 0.


I respect him as a good coach.
GANGSTERDOG wrote:The chemistry was the best Ive seen in a while surprisingly. Everyone was out there trying to prove something.... well maybe except Duhon
SnuggLes__
Pro Prospect
User avatar
Posts: 907
And1: 3
Joined: Aug 1, 2009
Top

Post#57 Re: OT: Howard would have been better off sta
Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:53 pm by arsenal6106

SnuggLes__ wrote:Stan Van Gundy always annoyed me with his rotations, stubbornness, and simple 3 point offense, but the man hung his hat on building teams solidly defensively. His strengths always outweighed his weaknesses.

And to coach your team to 4 straight years of 50+ wins 2 conference championships & a finals appearance is more than just average..

But in the end, all that matters are Championships, & he got us about 0.


I respect him as a good coach.


SVG was successful here because of Dwight.
arsenal6106




Assistant Coach
User avatar
Posts: 4,334
And1: 98
Joined: Nov 6, 2010
Location: Somewhere Drinking Good Beer.
Top

Post#58 Re: OT: Howard would have been better off sta
Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:50 am by T-Cat

juxsta wrote:
CourtsideTV wrote:The Los Angeles Lakers have struggled to begin the 12-13 NBA season, but Dwight Howard seems to already have decided which team he will sign with as a free agent this summer.

"I know," said Howard when asked if he knows which team he will play with next season.


LOLL so he's about entertainment and not SOLELY about championships..thats the mentality of a championship player right durr


Remember the last time he said "I KNOW"? So I can't ever take anything this dude says serious.


My guess is that Rob will AT LEAST try one more time to make a pitch for Dwight to sign with the Magic! Remember he tried so hard to get him to re-sign her, but unless Dwight got more help he wanted to be traded.

But now I think Dwight realizes now that what he wanted in LA, can be so hard to ultimately get...a championship!

Dwight new team next year will preach defense and effort on both sides of the court as well good round personnel...I think Orlando fits the bill :wink:

Btw, Dwight keeps talking about how much he's moved on from Orlando...but why does he keep mentioning in the media how he handled Orlando situation so poorly and wanted to put the Magic on the map? That's love
T-Cat
Senior
Posts: 628
And1: 8
Joined: May 4, 2004
Top

Post#59 Re: OT: Howard would have been better off sta
Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:22 am by BadMofoPimp

arsenal6106 wrote:
SVG was successful here because of Dwight.


Magic with Dwight and Meer/Shard/Hedo/SG would still end up with a better record than the Lakers with Dwight and Kobe/MWP/Gasol/PG. Unless, Phil was the coach and taught Dwight Zen!
Image

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
User avatar
Posts: 33,527
And1: 3,640
Joined: Oct 12, 2003
Location: In the Paint
Top

Post#60 Re: OT: Howard would have been better off sta
Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:49 pm by Bergmaniac

This is way premature, Howard is still nowhere near 100% fit IMO. Things will probably change in a month or two when he's back in top shape physically. Unless the back injury has really affected his long term athleticism, who knows...
Bergmaniac

Junior
Posts: 316
And1: 152
Joined: Jan 8, 2010
Top

Previous

Return to Orlando Magic


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Beast_Reality, ezzzp, fendilim, Jameerthefear, jjohns828, MagicStarwipe, mr2good, RapHippy, wowski